PDA

View Full Version : 32 short colt compatibility question

historicfirearms
02-17-2014, 02:33 PM
I tried to find the answer online, but haven't had any luck. Can I safely fire 32 short colt ammo in a revolver chambered for 32 H&R?

texassako
02-17-2014, 02:50 PM
No, .318" versus .337" head size. A lot of slop and may split or bulge a whole lot

Multigunner
02-18-2014, 12:01 AM
An old mercenary and resistence fighter trick for using ammo with a small diameter case in a pistol chambered for a larger case was to wrap cigarette paper around the case till it had a sliding fit to the chamber.
They used this method to fire .32 ACP in Soviet 7.62 Nagant revolvers when none of the Soviet ammo was to be found.
The French had used this method to fire .32 ACP or .32 S&W ammo in the old Lebel 8mm revolvers, though only good for very close range because of the larger bore of the 8mm revolver.

Not advising this unless for an emergency, its always best to use only the ammo that a revolver was chambered for. Even using the .32 S&W in the magnum chamber can damage the chamber or foul it up so the proper ammo won't fit till the chamber is throughly cleaned.

Green Frog
02-18-2014, 10:53 PM
I somehow got a single round of 32 Colt mixed in with my supply of 32 S&W... it shot fine out of my 32 HE, but the fired brass looked kinda weird. No problem otherwise, but I wouldn't advise it under normal circumstances. For one thing, 32 Colt ammo is a bit more expensive and difficult to find.

Froggie

historicfirearms
02-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the help. I'm not going to shoot the 32 colt ammo, not worth it. I got it with a trade deal, the gun shop owner thought it would work in the 32 H&R. I will see if he will take it back, or if someone really needs some 32 short colt ammo, let me know.