PDA

View Full Version : 1891 Argentine Mauser Antique?

moodyholler
09-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if an 1891 Argentine Mauser is considered an antique? Bought a really nice one today and am thinking of selling it. Thanks a bunch, moodyholler

StarMetal
09-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Yes it is if it was made before I believe 1899.

Joe

Scrounger
09-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if an 1891 Argentine Mauser is considered an antique? Bought a really nice one today and am thinking of selling it. Thanks a bunch, moodyholler

I ain't the ATF but I believe they are on the C & R List. I bought one which was shipped to me on my C & R and I eventually sold it to someone else and I shipped it to a C & R. Mea Culpa????

grumble
09-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Unmodified guns made in or before 1898 are considered antiques, and not subject to any of the restrictions of the GCA. The important thing is the "unmodified" part.

StanDahl
09-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Check the markings on the receiver. Only M1891's made by Loewe are antique. All DWM M1891's are post 1898. I got this information from a post on a South
American Mausers board: [http://p077.ezboard.com/fparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforumsfrm10]
You probably have to sign up now to see the board, it used to be you could cruise around anonymously. You can submit your serial numbers and someone will tell you when it was made. There's also a guy who's taking a large survey on 1891 Mausers. HTH Stan

StanDahl
09-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey Moodyholler - I posted this once somewhere and you probably didn't see it...but what'cha got there in the picture? It kind of looks like this:
mine's a Hopkins & Allen (Merwin & Hulbert) in 32WCF. I just bought a H&A 822 marked "Souvenir New Orleans 1902" on both sides of the receiver. I'd like to find out what that refers to. Stan

Buckshot
09-03-2005, 06:06 AM
..............Loewe's are antiques. You can also check on Dennis (Empire Arms) website and he has something up there about them. 1898 (inclusive) is the magic date.

Why would you want to sell it? And how much do you want for it :D? Reciever scrubbed or crest intact?

............Buckshot

Bret4207
09-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Darn nice shooters with cast. If you sell it, you'll kick yerself later. (Ain't I helpfull Buck?)

moodyholler
09-03-2005, 07:58 PM
STANDAHL, no I didn't, but I have one in 32wcf that is a carbine, the one in my profiel is a 16 ga and 22lr two barrel set, I also have one in 20 ga, 22 lr, and a cased set coming in 44wcf and 44xl shot. They are neat guns and I buy trade or steal all of them I can.
Thanks for the info on the Argentine. I have too many projects in the fires now. Crest is ground but rest of gun is extremely nice for its age. moodyholler

Bob S
09-03-2005, 08:37 PM
"Unmodified" applies to C&R's, not to antiques. It's in the BATF's FAQ page. A weapon can only be considered a "curio" or "relic" only if it is *complete* and *unmodified*. For example, you cannot legally buy a M1903 barreled action or receiver on a C&R license. Any receiver or frame manufactured before 1 Jan 1899 is considered "antique", even if it has been rebarreled, sporterized, or if it's a stripped receiver.

Since Loewe was subsumed by DWM in late 1896, anything manufactured by Loewe is an antique under the law, even if modified or incomplete.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

moodyholler
09-04-2005, 08:16 AM
It is a Loew. Thanks for the info!. moodyholler

FAsmus
09-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Darn nice shooters with cast. If you sell it, you'll kick yerself later.

Trooper Bret,

I happen to agree whole-heartedly with you in this particular.

I have a Loew M91 that was in the coner of the barn for long enough to destroy the barrel ~ I got for free.

Then I bought a $3 surplus barrel for it, installed it and the rifle has performed like a Match Rifle ever since. Back when I rebarreled it (and my eyes were still good enough) I could and did shoot sub-minute groups with the issue sights. Not just once in awhile but steady predictable shooting.

Now, since it shoots so well (and I need the help) I have modified it to accept a globe front sight and an old Redfield Match receiver sight.

This old thing is a real "sleeper" when brought to the firing line where all the fellows shooting their store-bought bolt guns shooting commercial ammunition can't believe what they're seeing from the old long barrled Mauser in full military wood.

What kind of load/bullet are you feeding your M91?

Good afternoon,
Forrest

Buckshot
09-12-2005, 10:15 PM
..........Yeah, and I think that magazine is racy :D The bolt is slick, it has a nice slender stock. They just FEEL good to me.

............Buckshot