PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum?

silverado
02-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Is there any evidence that aluminum gc wears out barrels? As a newbe with limited money to re barrel revolvers this is important to me... sorry if it's been asked before...

35 shooter
02-17-2014, 01:27 AM
I've just started using them myself in my rifle so i sure hope not cause they shoot great. The only thing along those lines that i've heard is some claim it leaves a residue in the bbl. but i haven't noticed it in mine. Haven't shot em in revolvers though..I would think throat erosion would wear a bbl. out long before any gas check.:grin:

Ben
02-17-2014, 12:43 PM
We are now in our 5th , 6th year of popularity with AL gas checks here on the forum.

Probably been about 11 bazillion of them sent down barrels by now.

Have heard nothing.................
No news is probably good news.

bangerjim
02-17-2014, 05:11 PM
If you are concerned about Al................just use Cu like I do on everything that accepts a GC.

I only use Al GC's to make "snake loads" for my 45LC's Put one inside the end to hold the bird shot in place.

bangerjim

silverado
02-17-2014, 05:34 PM
I think I may be ordering some soon in 44 then... thanks for input

338RemUltraMag
02-17-2014, 06:05 PM
A .050 tall piece of aluminum will not harm your barrel, I would be more concerned with burning out your barrel due to powder erosion.

tomme boy
02-17-2014, 08:47 PM
The antimony in you lead will wear your barrel faster than the checks will.

ElDorado
02-17-2014, 09:14 PM
I've read quite a few assertions on the internet that aluminum jackets will wear down a barrel, and I think that it started with Richard Lee's book "Modern Reloading". When deciding which material to use in making his moulds, Lee made the claim that aluminum instantly surface oxidizes to form a protective layer, and that aluminum oxide is the same stuff used in grinding wheels and sandpaper, so it must be a tough layer.

Now the internet has taken the notion that shooting aluminum jackets and gas checks is akin to shooting sandpaper down your bore, and it is not. Winchester has made handgun ammuntion for years with aluminum jackets. I've shot aluminum jackets, too. I can't tell you whether there is more wear than if I'd shot copper only, but I don't notice anything unusual.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900345189/winchester-super-x-ammunition-9mm-luger-115-grain-silvertip-hollow-point

In a contest between aluminum and steel, bet on the steel.

silverado
02-18-2014, 12:32 AM
I really appreciate the knowledge you guys have... it let's me learn from other people's mistakes :D