PDA

View Full Version : What matters for accurate 22rf bullets

Scootshop
02-16-2014, 11:20 PM
Question as I sit here prepping for the Postal match, I wonder.
I sorted my cases this time all Big capital F on back. Derimmed em and gave em a nice baking in my wife's oven and now am weighing em to and sorting em a pile I am only going to use the ones right at 10.5gr. They are ranging from 9.5 to 10.7 and the length is .682 to .696 range of .014 small sample. My cores should all be right on the money at 42.5. I am going for a 53gr flat base hollow point.
So for those of you in it to win it, do I care if I have jackets that range from 10.4 to 10.6 and a .014 range in length of jacket.
Do you all see a diff at 100 yards between diff 22lr jackets weights etc.
with luck I will answer my question Monday at Chabot Gun club in Oakland.

Scootshop
02-16-2014, 11:25 PM
So I am gonna go shoot my 53gr behind 24.5gr Varget. Down from my usual 25gr load. Last week was first try shooting off bags ave 1.5" to 2" group with a few touching. This time gonna use a fancy rest and see if I can do better.

Scootshop
02-16-2014, 11:38 PM
Seems with the Federal cases ave is 10.5 lowest I found 9.5 high 11.9
What do you all say + or - what .i .2 dose it matter? Would you rather have diff brands of jackets and they weigh the same?
Do any of you trim the jackets to same length.

Scootshop
02-16-2014, 11:39 PM
My scale is a digital Dillon so who knows if it's accurate + or - .1gr

supe47
02-17-2014, 12:21 AM
Feds are the worst as far as case variance. I prefer to use all the same brand cases. I trim after core seating if necessary.

Scootshop
02-17-2014, 12:58 AM
I am lucky in that I got a 5 gal buckets from our local club. Mostly Eley, rem. Win.
The F were the hardest to derim.

fredj338
02-17-2014, 01:02 AM
I think if you want the most accurate bullets, you need to eliminate as many variable as possible. I also sort my cores by weight, next run I am going to also sort by length. I am not looking for match grade accuracy, but having a lot that are as perfect as possible wouldn't be a bad idea.

runfiverun
02-17-2014, 01:08 AM
the best jackets make the best bullets. [funny the same criteria makes the best brass cases too]
the more umm exact things are, the more closely they go together on the paper.

BT Sniper
02-17-2014, 01:44 AM
Consistency in your components!

Clean cores and jackets!

Consistency when making your bullets!

Load development!

Gun!

Shooter!

Etc.

Of course there are potentially many more factors that can be just as important or the order of importance may vary, this is just what was on the top of my head.

Everything matters and this list may just be in order of importance IMOP when it comes to getting good groups from these bullets.

I used the heavy Federal jackets in the latest 53 grain bullets I made. I have seen others shoot smaller groups with other brands of brass. In my load development groups where twice as large when plus or minus a grain from the sweet spot. I have found these bullet to be a little picky about which load they like yet it was very obvious when they found the right load.

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

Scootshop
02-17-2014, 01:56 AM
BT that's why I thought I would try em.

BT Sniper
02-17-2014, 02:11 AM
I can't say that the heavy Federals where the most accurate. They where simply the ones I tried for that batch and the first batch of bullets I really went all out for potential accuracy. Don't know if 53 grain bullets are any more accurate then 56 either. But I do know I shot .6" with these and had another postal match shooter do very well with them. It's certainly possible a different brand of jacket might have done even better. That is part of the fun of making your own, all the different combinations that now come into play.

Do plan on a bit of load development for best results.

BT

Scootshop
02-17-2014, 03:19 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/17/mazere9y.jpg
All of 23gr within .1 gr all same length within .2 gonna try em Monday with luck.
What are the small f cases. They derimmed super easy. Haven't tried em yet.
This will be my 2nd try first was Eley brass with no regard to weight or length and they worked ok.

Scootshop
02-17-2014, 03:31 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/587076/mcr-bullet-meplat-uniforming-tool-224-caliber
What say worth it
Also bought the Harbor Freight Sonic cleaner gonna try simple green in it. That way if my bullets don't fly straight at least they will be hecka shinny.

BLASTER62
02-17-2014, 08:09 AM
I'll share a thing I do for better performance put 1 7.5 shot bb in the nose & make a small Meplat bullet wont blow the end out and get a longer O give. You need to make a concave punch to start to roll the jacket for a nice flat base? Long O give Tight groups!

BT Sniper
02-17-2014, 08:41 AM
I'll share a thing I do for better performance put 1 7.5 shot bb in the nose & make a small Meplat bullet wont blow the end out and get a longer O give. You need to make a concave punch to start to roll the jacket for a nice flat base? Long O give Tight groups!

I'm confused?

BT Sniper
02-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Scootshop,

One thing to try that will aid in life of your dies, make "pretty" bullets and potentially better accuracy, looking at your pics your bullets might benefit from a good cleaning of the jackets either before first use (core seating), before point form or after the bullets are made, or all of the above.

Stainless steel media and wet rotary tumblers are ...... well awesome for this task. Ceramic media is a good second choice for making the bullets pretty after they are already made. Your bullets are looking good, with as little as 1 hour in a tumbler they will look better then factory offerings!

check out this thread for starters

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?181682-Secret-to-making-better-more-accurate-bullets!

BT

bullet maker 57
02-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Sounds like he is making a FMJ bullet.

BLASTER62
02-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Your right Pete A 14 ogive will shoot better than a 6s am I thinking correctly?

Lizard333
02-18-2014, 12:31 AM
Personally my best bullets have come from Eley brass. Figures the most expensive 22 you can buy provides the best jacket. I got a bunch from the military so I have been using them. Aguila brass and Remington have been consistent as well. Federal are good, thicker jacket, just need to sort between the two weights.

Utah Shooter
02-18-2014, 01:03 AM
Personally my best bullets have come from Eley brass. Figures the most expensive 22 you can buy provides the best jacket. I got a bunch from the military so I have been using them. Aguila brass and Remington have been consistent as well. Federal are good, thicker jacket, just need to sort between the two weights.

Yup. As far as I can tell this is accurate. I have not shot any of my Lapua jacketed bullets (sent the first batch off to guys here) but definitely have no complaints on the Eley.

blltsmth
02-18-2014, 09:34 AM
I have found that the ELEY jackets weigh a consistent 9.2-9.3 grains with little variable. FEDERAL, sometime back in the late 1980's,changed their brass to a more weighty one. The Federal cases from an early batch I have wear the "small" F on them. The "larger "F cases weigh anywhere from 9.5 grains to 11.5 grains. The early cases with the small F are from 9.2 grains to 10 grains, these de-rim easier than the large F cases and are more consistent in weight. Same goes for the early Remington with the "U" on them, rather than the newer "Rem" marked ones. I anneal everything over 10 grains in weight at a higher temperature and incur far fewer "nose folds" when pointing them up.

Scootshop
02-18-2014, 04:02 PM
makes sense I got a lot of small f from a indoor 22rf range