PDA

View Full Version : Oal suggestions

DeanWinchester
02-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Lyman 311299 in a .308. To reach the rifling I have seat the bullet out 2.900 or so. I can't fit that in my dang magazine. Seating out as long as the magazine will allow puts the mouth of the case right in the middle of lube groove. Grrrr...

Seated to the most suitable place, just past the last lube groove, accuracy stinks. Won't shoot better than about 3 inches at 50 yards with the powder I want to use.
Seated out and single fed, it'll do an inch.

What would you guys try?

Jack Stanley
02-16-2014, 05:59 PM
I would send it to Eric and ask him to put a "DD" band on the nose .

Jack

DeanWinchester
02-16-2014, 07:39 PM
I thought about that, or just having the outer most lube grove removed.

bhn22
02-16-2014, 08:18 PM
A different mold, or rifle. You might be able to shorten the cases to move the case mouth down a bit, but unless you can fit a longer mag box in it, you're stuck with what you have. I suppose you could rebarrel the rifle, and spec a shorter throat.

Wayne Smith
02-16-2014, 08:24 PM
1) I assume a bolt action, you don't need a crimp.
2) Every rifle we use is a single shot, some reload faster than others
3) Unless you are planning to use this load for competition you only need one shot at a time. Why change what works??

btroj
02-16-2014, 08:25 PM
I agree with Wayne. I almost never use the magazine on bolt guns. Unless I need quick follow up shots it just isn't needed.

Seat to reach the lands and fired away.

DeanWinchester
02-16-2014, 09:05 PM
1) I assume a bolt action, you don't need a crimp.
2) Every rifle we use is a single shot, some reload faster than others
3) Unless you are planning to use this load for competition you only need one shot at a time. Why change what works??

I don't actually crimp but I use a collet type crimp die to close the bell from flaring the case. If the mouth of the case is over a lube groove I can't feel where the closing stops and an actual crimp starts.

Not having my rifle as a magazine fed repeater dont sit right.
I use the magazine. It's easier on my extractor. It's a Ruger m77mkII.