PDA

View Full Version : got to love the south look what i found on my porch

skykingjohn
02-16-2014, 02:40 PM
I was in nny for my dad surgery when i got back i was checking around the house and i see some stuff on the porch . and thought some body put trash on it . went over to give it a kick and got a surprise big block was 56 pounds small was 17 and peace was 3.5 looks like good wheel weight lead from my friend. by the way 56 pounds does not move when you kick it 96913 :grin::grin::grin:

RustyReel
02-16-2014, 02:54 PM
That's cool. Looks like the large chunk was cast into a vintage Oldsmobile Rocket valve cover!!

beagle
02-16-2014, 03:20 PM
You'd be surprised what shows up. When I was shooting at the range on a regular basis, people knew me as a caster and all kinds of strange things would show up in the back of my pickup. Some donors I knew and some were anonyms. Still, it was appreciated and all helped. Got a call during nap time one Sunday afternoon for lead. Guy was moving. Went over and he had two 105mm wooden ammo boxes full of .38 wadcutters and about five 5 gallon buckets full. We finally poured it loose in the bed of my Toyota. Drug going out of his driveway and going into mine. I hauled 4 wheelbarrow loads to 5 gallon buckets under my back deck. I love it. Two years later, I had to move that stuff 50 miles but it was worth it. Cast your bread upon the waters in the form of a few free cast bullet loads and sometimes it comes back as a banquet./beagle

skykingjohn
02-16-2014, 03:30 PM
that what it is

skykingjohn
02-16-2014, 03:32 PM
that what i do becuse that is the way i was brought up to help / share with others

You'd be surprised what shows up. When I was shooting at the range on a regular basis, people knew me as a caster and all kinds of strange things would show up in the back of my pickup. Some donors I knew and some were anonyms. Still, it was appreciated and all helped. Got a call during nap time one Sunday afternoon for lead. Guy was moving. Went over and he had two 105mm wooden ammo boxes full of .38 wadcutters and about five 5 gallon buckets full. We finally poured it loose in the bed of my Toyota. Drug going out of his driveway and going into mine. I hauled 4 wheelbarrow loads to 5 gallon buckets under my back deck. I love it. Two years later, I had to move that stuff 50 miles but it was worth it. Cast your bread upon the waters in the form of a few free cast bullet loads and sometimes it comes back as a banquet./beagle

runfiverun
02-16-2014, 05:49 PM
that stuff marked howe looks more like a babbit or a tin based sumthin.
I'd check it out.
ohhh one more thing.
if that umm alloy in the olds valve cover is vintage to the time frame it could be 7 to 9% antimony.

skykingjohn
02-16-2014, 06:11 PM
last bunch was hard as hard i am going to put it into molds and water drop one to check hardness

gefiltephish
02-16-2014, 06:21 PM
..."home"... ;-)

uscra112
02-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Back home we'd say that you'd been "ripped on".

dondiego
02-17-2014, 11:29 AM
that stuff marked howe looks more like a babbit or a tin based sumthin.
I'd check it out.
ohhh one more thing.
if that umm alloy in the olds valve cover is vintage to the time frame it could be 7 to 9% antimony.

What do you suggest would it best be used for then? I have several hundred pounds of WW allow from the 70's. I have just been shooting it up. Sure seems like it has a lot of antimony.

Bigslug
02-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Valve covers as ingot molds. . .I guess there's use for a 3-cylinder Geo Metro after all. The V8 approach doesn't seem very portable.

TCLouis
02-17-2014, 12:09 PM
I have an ingot someone gave me that is a complete valve cover full of lead. I will smelt it next time I do a big batch and that should set me up for a couple of years of shootin'.

skykingjohn
02-17-2014, 12:50 PM
I own a 1994 geo metro convertible and i concur the valve cover would be a better size than this one it weighs 56 pounds

Airman Basic
02-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Had a couple of valve cover molded chunks. Too big for my pro-melt so I scored 'em with a hatchet and broke 'em against a sidewalk. The halves fit the melter fine. Lots of boolits.

snuffy
02-17-2014, 01:26 PM
I get lead gifted to me all the time. I talk a lot to people about shooting, I usually have an example of my last casting project in my pocket, to show what I'm up to. A co-worker came up to me, said his dad has this "statue" that he thinks is made of babbit.!!![smilie=w::shock:

I said I want it, I'll pay $1.50 per # for it! His eyes lit up, he said he'd have a sample for me to test. Turned out to be nearly pure lead. I gave him a 50 $ bill for about 60 pounds he was able to save.

Another co-worker said hey they're scrapping a big multi spindle drill press, it has a huge lead counterweight on it. It's over in the abandoned part of the plant. Turned out to be 90# weights that were stacked according to how heavy the drill head was. There was 30 of them there! Like this;

Another call from a friend that was at a flea market. Said he was looking at what was apparently a lead ingot, long, narrow, and had hooks at one end. I asked what they wanted for it, 20$. I said buy it I'll pay you as soon as you get here! 100% pure linotype pig!

That's the one in front. It exists in various forms in various boolits right now!

Like the line from pawn stars, you just never know what's going to walk through that door!

skykingjohn
02-20-2014, 10:40 PM
I melted and did a spoon cast of the valve cover and it did a 11 -12 bhn air cooled and 26- 28 bhn water dropped the half melted peace was 26 -28 bhn air cooled ( i use the pencil test for hardness ) i hope to do the howe peace soon but want to make some rounds as a thank you for the lead first great day at the casting bench