PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Super Blackhawk Grip Recommendations?

ShooterAZ
02-16-2014, 12:31 PM
I have been shooting my RBH (factory wood grips) MUCH more lately and enjoying it immensely. One problem however, is that it's now really starting to hurt my hand. I have been shooting it so much that a large deep callous has formed on the web of my hand. At first I thought gee, this callous will help. It doesn't. In fact, it has become more painful.

I'd like to try a new set of grip and see if it will help. I see Pachmeyers & Hougues, finger grooves and no finger grooves. I'm confused about what to order. My Blackhawk does not have the square backed trigger guard. I'm not recoil sensitive, but when it starts to hurt it's not so much fun any more. Any recommendations will be appreciated!

Outpost75
02-16-2014, 12:59 PM
I have the same Pachmayr groups on all three of my Ruger single-actions in .357, .44 and .45. Works for me.

Rick R
02-16-2014, 01:43 PM
I put the rubber Hogues in my 4 5/8" SBH and it changed two things. 1) The pistol is now very shootable with any .44 Mag load and 2) it's ugly. The grip feels great but is almost as large as the rest of the gun.

Mallard57
02-16-2014, 01:49 PM
I've got rubber Hogues on both my RSB. I find them pretty comfotable. I did try a pretty pair of Hogue laminates on my square trigger guard, I liked them but they would pinch me some. I didn't put any effort in trying to resolve that though. I'm happy with the rubber ones.
Jeff

ShooterAZ
02-16-2014, 01:49 PM
I will admit they are ugly, but I don't care. I'll take comfortable. Do you guy's grips have the finger grooves or no?

blaser.306
02-16-2014, 02:00 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread , However. I just bought a 10 1/2" stainless new model SBH and am confused about what Pachmayer grips will fit it? Some say all models , some are all but xr3-red frame , and I have seen some marked that they will not fit stainless frames. If anyone could offer up a little insight it would be appreciated. As I live in Canada anything I buy is going to be a hastle! So buying once is the best option. Thanks and again sorry for the hijack .

jmort
02-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Hogue finger grip fit my hand well.

Bullshop
02-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Shoot lighter loads.

ShooterAZ
02-16-2014, 03:38 PM
I did a little research on the Hogue's. The # 83000 fits the 4-5/8 & 5-1/2" SBH with round trigger guard. The #84000 is for the SBH Hunter models. Midway has both. I will be looking at Pachmeyer next.

ShooterAZ
02-16-2014, 03:50 PM
Shoot lighter loads. Yeah, the lighter loads are fun too, and easier on the hand as well. I recently acquired a few new 44 molds, and have been doing some load work-up and chronographing. I'm going with the Hogue Monogrip.

scattershot
02-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Pachmayer, no finger grooves. You'll be happy. Get some fancy wood grips for showin' and the Pachs for shootin'.

454PB
02-16-2014, 05:01 PM
I like the grips with finger grooves. I also recommend a good shooting glove, I like Uncle Mike's.

The problem with rubber grips used with bare hands is that the sliding rubber will actually pull the skin loose at the web between the thumb/index finger. I won't shoot my .454's more than a dozen times without my shooting glove.

Bullshop
02-16-2014, 05:16 PM
Good practice load for close range to maybe 25 yards is 2 to 3 gn Bullseye or Red Dot or something similar and a .433" RB thumb pressed in an unsized case. Good trigger practice with any type grip. It will penetrate a paper target to an equal depth of a 250 to 300gn bullet doing 1300 fps.

canthitsquat
02-16-2014, 05:18 PM
I have both and prefer Hogues, depends on hand size etc.

Airman Basic
02-16-2014, 07:17 PM
I have been shooting my RBH (factory wood grips) MUCH more lately and enjoying it immensely. One problem however, is that it's now really starting to hurt my hand. I have been shooting it so much that a large deep callous has formed on the web of my hand. At first I thought gee, this callous will help. It doesn't. In fact, it has become more painful.

I'd like to try a new set of grip and see if it will help. I see Pachmeyers & Hougues, finger grooves and no finger grooves. I'm confused about what to order. My Blackhawk does not have the square backed trigger guard. I'm not recoil sensitive, but when it starts to hurt it's not so much fun any more. Any recommendations will be appreciated!
This page helped me a lot
http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

Tatume
02-16-2014, 08:57 PM
Check Herrett's before you buy anything. You may like what you see.

http://www.herrettstocks.com/

opos
02-16-2014, 09:04 PM
I put the rubber Hogues in my 4 5/8" SBH and it changed two things. 1) The pistol is now very shootable with any .44 Mag load and 2) it's ugly. The grip feels great but is almost as large as the rest of the gun.

Here's my 4 5/8 SBH with the monster grips...but it does make shooting with these old arthritic hands a bit more comfortable...96956

pkie44
02-16-2014, 11:13 PM
Pachmayer, no finger grooves. You'll be happy. Get some fancy wood grips for showin' and the Pachs for shootin'.
What I was thinking.

silverado
02-17-2014, 09:35 AM
My gp100 hogue grips fit PERFECTLY, but the ones on my sbh are a wee bit big and i have to spread my fingers a little ymmv

Silver Jack Hammer
02-17-2014, 10:41 AM
I had the wood Herrett Shooting Stars on a SBH I owned in the 70's and 80's and loved them. They were not pretty but with the Herrett Shooting Star grips any heavy load a piece of cake to shoot.

Now my SBH is a 3 screw model, I got a brand new in the white Old Army grip frame from Brownell's and had it fitted and blued to my gun, then had Klamath River Woodworks out of Oregon fashion a set of purpleheart wood grips very wide to my liking. The finished product has a set of Ruger medalions and I really like it but I don't shoot much of the hottest loads with this combination. The gun serves me well with a RCBS 44-250-K at just under 1100 fps.

44man
02-17-2014, 11:32 AM
I like the grips with finger grooves. I also recommend a good shooting glove, I like Uncle Mike's.

The problem with rubber grips used with bare hands is that the sliding rubber will actually pull the skin loose at the web between the thumb/index finger. I won't shoot my .454's more than a dozen times without my shooting glove.
No, you are holding too loose. The grips should never slide or "roll' in your hand.