PDA

View Full Version : Rate of twist???

GunnyJohn
02-16-2014, 12:23 PM
I bought this rifle used. It's a Cabelas .54 percussion. It says that it's made in Italy. I didn't get any paperwork with the rifle. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the rate of twist would be. I have'nt had any luck with accuracy shooting conicals. PRBs seem to be the answer. They shoot fairly well. It's still a learning thing for me, and experimenting so far is a blast.(pun intended). Thanks in advance.

mooman76
02-16-2014, 12:50 PM
What model would help narrow it down? It should be made by investarms. If so it will have an "I" in the center of a square. I have a Cabelas Hawkin style gun with both 50 and 58 caliber. The 50 came out to 1/66 but the 58 I believe is 1/60. You can figure out the twist rate with a little math and measuring. Use your ramrod with a tight patch. Mark the ramrod and push it in. If it makes half a turn in 24" it's 1/48 and so on. I suspect your's is a slow twist like 1/66 or 60 since it won't shoot conicals well. What conicals did you use? You might get the Lee REALs to shoot well. They are a short fat conical made to shoot in the slower twist barrels. My 58 shot a conical Minie pretty good. Nothing for target shooting but good enough for deer out to 100y. Keep shooting and have fun doing it, that's what it's all about.

fouronesix
02-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Look here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?226718-Black-powder-twist-rate-chart

If that doesn't work, use a ramrod and learn how to check the twist!

PTS
02-16-2014, 02:00 PM
I had this question once about a used Pedersoli that I bought. I went to the Pedersoli website, found their contact info and emailed them the serial # and other notable info. This was a Sunday evening. The next morning I had an email from an employee telling me about the gun. No automated emails; he even suggested loads and such.

fastdadio
02-20-2014, 07:22 PM
I have the Invest arms .58 Hawken. Identical to the Cabella's labeled Hawken. Mine is 1-48 twist. Marked on the barrel. Not to say they are all 1-48 though. Use the rod and tight patch and check it. Had mine for over 25 years. Fine rifle and a pure joy to shoot.

Bardo
02-22-2014, 12:09 AM
My Investarms 54 hawken from cabelas is a 1 in 48 I got it about 11 years ago. Shorter conicals shot ok if pushed hard but PRB shoot great at any speed.

Bardo

fastdadio
02-22-2014, 10:37 AM
My Investarms 54 hawken from cabelas is a 1 in 48 I got it about 11 years ago. Shorter conicals shot ok if pushed hard but PRB shoot great at any speed.

Bardo
I have found this to be true with mine also. My Pet load for hunting; Load the .58 with a 20ga shot cup with 2-.530 round balls touching, over 70gr Pyrodex. The two balls usually hit less than 6" apart at 100 yds. Potent medicine. Your .54 is 28ga. Use your imagination.

fouronesix
02-22-2014, 11:30 AM
If you don't pin down the twist by measuring it, you'll be guessing about why any one type of load may or may not be shooting well. In other words maybe wasting time chasing the wrong cause and effect when load testing.

If your Cabela's is a 48" or 60+" twist it will shoot PRB fine.

If it is a 48" twist it will shoot pure lead 54 Maxiballs or 54 Miniés fine. You'll need to push the Maxiball pretty hard (70-80 gr BP) and maybe use a fiber card base wad for best accuracy. For the Minié, best not to push so hard so try about 50-55 gr of BP. You will notice recoil with an 80 gr BP charge under a Maxiball. :)