PDA

View Full Version : 1892 in 32-20

TXGunNut
02-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Have an 1892 Winchester rifle that's pestering me for a ride home but I just can't bring myself to do it. She's chambered for 32-20, a cartridge I presently load and cast for in a Colt Army Special and a recently acquired Navy Arms SAA replica. She's priced about right for a 70% gun but she's a weak 70, IMHO. I don't have any "pre-64's" and all my mondern leverguns are 95% or better, I guess that's part of the problem. It's silly to expect a 112 year old rifle to score over 90% and be an affordable shooter so I know the problem is with me, not the rifle. It's D&T'd for a tang sight and seems to be excellent mechanically, bore seems to be excellent as well. I like the long octagonal barrel but wish it had full buckhorn sights, even though my eyes can barely use them past 50 yards. I guess the only reason I keep leaving her on the rack is that her price tag, though reasonable, is a lot of money for a plinker. I have no real use for her but that hasn't ever stopped me before.
I need a few pairs of jeans so I'll be walking past her again today, good thing I keep a rifle case in the car.

Scharfschuetze
02-16-2014, 11:51 AM
A Model 92 in 32/20 with a long barrel at 70%? You'll always get your money back on that if you decide it's not for you after shooting it. Besides, you're already set up to cast and load for it and it's a perfect match for the SAA replica you just bought a few weeks ago.

If it has a good usable bore and action, I'd go for it and forgo the jeans! Of course it's not my money...

TXGunNut
02-16-2014, 11:55 AM
That's encouraging, thanks. I seldom sell a rifle and I've never ventured into the older Winchesters. Been looking at them for quite awhile but just haven't found one I really liked, this one has caught my eye a few times, surprised every time I see her on the rack. She's got a sweet action but I've found that on most 92's.

Scharfschuetze
02-16-2014, 12:02 PM
When I was stationed in Texas in the early 70s after VN, I used to see old Winchesters line the racks at gun stores and the prices weren't bad. As those days are long gone, I sure wish I would have bought a few of them back then as investments and for shooting.

TXGunNut
02-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Almost all of my 94's (post 64) were purchased for about $250 in the 80's and 90's, I bought all I could afford but wish I'd bought a few more. Pre-64's have never seemed cheap or plentiful while I've been looking at them, guess that's a matter of perception.

Uncle Jimbo
02-16-2014, 12:52 PM
If you don't get it, it will haunt you forever. So for go something else.
Just my 2¢.
P.S. How much they asking for the rifle?

Eutectic
02-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Everyone should have a Winchester Model 1892.

And a 24" octagon .32-20 is one of the best choices!

Eutectic

runfiverun
02-16-2014, 02:33 PM
where is this rifle?
and do they take debit cards over the phone?
I have a mold some brass and a die set waiting for the day I find a 70% or better model 92.

starmac
02-16-2014, 03:59 PM
where is this rifle?
I have a mold some brass and a die set waiting for the day I find a 70% or better model 92.

Ha Ha I knew somebody would come along with this. lol

Uncle Jimbo
02-16-2014, 04:30 PM
where is this rifle?

That is why I ask how much in post #6. I was already in my mad money and counting to see if I could afford it, and I would need some lead in time to convince the wife how much I needed it.
[smilie=1:

starmac
02-16-2014, 06:15 PM
No lead in time needed. It is much more successful asking forgiveness after the fact, than permission before. lol

rondog
02-16-2014, 06:32 PM
Just buy it. It's not something you'll lose money on, and it may be more fun than you figured.

pietro
02-16-2014, 06:39 PM

Buy it -+ 5,287 . :D

3 Years ago, I found a 98% special-order .32-20 M1892 Rifle, with full case colors, a straight-grip stock, Rifle sights & BP - and a button magazine - languishing in an LGS @ $700 because they thought it was refinished !

I jumped on it like stink on a hog, used it for a little over a year, then sold it via walking around a fun show with a F/S flag flying from the muzzle - for $2700. :D

Bullshop Junior
02-16-2014, 06:45 PM
If you don't buy it id be temped to sell a few of mine and drive back up there and get it.

bigted
02-16-2014, 06:50 PM
naaa. you know you really DO need it. this IS the rifle that has been calling to you for so long. a rifle like non other. never again will this opportunity present for you. this rifles history depends on you having it for the next little while of its life...

how am I doin?

TXGunNut
02-16-2014, 09:32 PM
Bunch of enablers, that's what all of you are! Oughta be ashamed of yourselves. ;-) The location (Ft Worth Cabelas) was intentionally left out of the OP because I was headed to the range to meet an old friend and his son. Buried one old friend yesterday, damn sure didn't want to miss a chance to shoot with this old codger, he even brought his son along! As you can guess, the old girl finally followed me home. My AMEX card and checkbook are headed to the safe with my rifles, $1350 is a bit more than I'm accustomed to paying for a plinker, even for one as sweet as this one.

wills
02-16-2014, 09:37 PM
As you can guess, the old girl finally followed me home.

About time. What took you so long.

TXGunNut
02-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Bunch of enablers, that's what all of you are! Oughta be ashamed of yourselves. ;-) The location (Ft Worth Cabelas) was intentionally left out of the OP because I was headed to the range to meet an old friend and his son. Buried one old friend yesterday, damn sure didn't want to miss a chance to shoot with this old codger, he even brought his son along! As you can guess, the old girl finally followed me home. My AMEX card and checkbook are headed to the safe with my rifles (as soon as I order a tang sight ;-) ), $1350 is a bit more than I'm accustomed to paying for a plinker, even for one as sweet as this.

buckwheatpaul
02-16-2014, 10:15 PM
You know you are going to buy it.....just quit worring about it.....my wife was laughing as I read your story......I started off by telling her that this is going to sound like me......At first my wife thought it was me posting this story.....she says everytime I walk past a gun store or flea market with guns for sale my eyes glaze over and an invisible hand grabs me and pulls me in......go for it brother!!!!!

TXGunNut
02-16-2014, 10:25 PM
No surprise, Paul, it's sitting in a cradle on my cleaning bench right now. Only surprise was that it stayed on the rack as long as it did while I convinced myself to buy it. Present company excepted not many folks see the value in a 32-20, most prefer the 38-40 and 44-40. I like the 38-40 but I enjoy sending 90 grs or repurposed WW's with 3-4grs of 231, that's what this old tightwad likes about the 32-20. Oh, yeah, and I'm already set up with dies, moulds and brass.

bigted
02-17-2014, 12:57 AM
congrates on the adoption.

TXGunNut
02-17-2014, 01:04 AM
Thanks. One big, happy family in that safe tonight.

runfiverun
02-17-2014, 01:24 AM
looks like my 25-20's still need a big brother..
hopefully some pics of the rifle and some groups are in the works,,,,

35 shooter
02-17-2014, 01:52 AM
Tx i bet i know somebody that can't wait to get back to the range again! You'll forget about what it costs when you get to shoot it. Heck that rifle will pay for itself in per shot gunpowder savings eventually. Especially if you bring home some meat with it from time to time.That's a no lose situation!:wink:

TXGunNut
02-17-2014, 03:04 AM
looks like my 25-20's still need a big brother..
hopefully some pics of the rifle and some groups are in the works,,,,

Yep, she just needs a good scrubbing. My smart phone is my camera is my wifi so pics will have to wait, things move a litlle slow on my spot of the prairie, if you know what I mean.

TXGunNut
02-17-2014, 03:10 AM
Tx i bet i know somebody that can't wait to get back to the range again! You'll forget about what it costs when you get to shoot it. Heck that rifle will pay for itself in per shot gunpowder savings eventually. Especially if you bring home some meat with it from time to time.That's a no lose situation!:wink:

Yes, cases are already resized and clean. She will most likely be a cheap, enjoyable plinker but don't see much hunting in her future. Haven't crunched the numbers but I think my per-shot cost is in today's rimfire neighborhood. I have plenty of good hunting rifles, only a few sweet little plinkers.
She's not an investment grade rifle but I'm pretty sure I won't get hurt too badly if I decide to peddle her someday.

smokeywolf
02-17-2014, 04:39 AM
Can't see how you could ever regret acquiring a Winchester. I'm anxious to see some pics.
Sheeesh, you got me all excited now.

smokeywolf

jonp
02-17-2014, 11:13 AM
No lead in time needed. It is much more successful asking forgiveness after the fact, than permission before. lol

Thats no lie.

shdwlkr
02-17-2014, 01:42 PM
txgunnut
You got out of it cheap I was at my LGS and they had a mdl 94 in 25-35 w/20 inch round barrel, a refinished mdl 94 in 30-30 with 26 inch octagon barrel and a miroku mdl92 in 44 mag with a 24 inch barrel and a mdl 86 with a 24 inch barrel. All but the last one are now on layaway, scares me to think how much that final bill is but you only live once. May have to go back and layaway that 86 just hate to see a fine rifle not being used.

buckwheatpaul
02-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Congrats....hope it shoots straight....I love my Browning 53.......looking forward to seeing pictures and reports about how the old gal shoots!!!!!!

TXGunNut
02-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Can't see how you could ever regret acquiring a Winchester. I'm anxious to see some pics.
Sheeesh, you got me all excited now.

smokeywolf

Agreed, can't recall selling a Winchester. Can't recall having buyer's remorse either. Have some guns to clean and I'm saving the 92 for last so I better get busy.

TXGunNut
02-17-2014, 11:31 PM
where is this rifle?

It's around here somewhere and I don't take plastic over the phone, I can exile it to the safe with mine if you like. ;-)
I wouldn't call this a 70% gun but I grade very conservatively. Here's a tease, Yahoo, my laptop and Droid are fighting.

smokeywolf
02-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Nobody likes a tease.:wink:
More teasing please.

smokeywolf

TXGunNut
02-17-2014, 11:58 PM
Sorry, ran out of patience. I'll try again tomorrow night. ;-)
Oops, got a meeting tomorrow night. Still needs a good scrubing. Soon, my friend, soon!

TXGunNut
02-19-2014, 12:28 AM

Got one more pic to tease you with. :brokenima

Bullshop Junior
02-19-2014, 12:34 AM
How about you txt them to me so I can at least drool all over my phone only once?

TXGunNut
02-19-2014, 01:15 AM
How about you txt them to me so I can at least drool all over my phone only once?

I'll try again tomorrow. Long day today, got a little scrubbing in for stress relief. Bore still a bit fouled. Had a tiny bit of surface rust/grime that responded well to some 0000 steel wool. Wood needs a good scrubbing and re-oiling but will research that a bit. Did you notice that not one screw has been Bubba'd?

runfiverun
02-19-2014, 01:41 AM
that looks like a nice clean rifle, not abused at all.

TXGunNut
02-19-2014, 10:52 PM
that looks like a nice clean rifle, not abused at all.

Thanks, I believe you're right. Can't figure out why I let her sit there so long, glad I got away with it. Cleaned up even nicer than the pics. I'm amazed at the condition of the action and screw heads. Not a single screw has been bubba'd! Action is tight but smooth, truly a tribute to the way things used to be. This rifle has been a prized possession for generations, feel honored to be it's temporary custodian. Still scrubbing a bit of copper out of the bore but it's shiny and the lands are sharp. Loaded up a box of ammo for the old girl tonight and cleaned the SAA replica 32-20 as well. Feeling a 24-hour bug coming on. ;-)

Idaho Mule
02-20-2014, 12:29 AM
You have no idea how much you will enjoy that rifle. The 32-20 is one of, if not the best of small game and varmint cartridges. That 1892 action is also very sturdy, you don't have to shoot pip-squeek loads. Use your cast lead boolits and push them on out there. Plinkers are from 3.5 to 5.5 Unique, 3.5 to 4.5 of win. 231. I also like 10 grains of 2400 with a 100 to 115 gr. boolit for more authority. For edible small game keep the velocities to under 900 fps or so, otherwise there ain't much left to eat. JW BTW, we're about even as far as cost on our latest additions. JW

FromTheWoods
02-20-2014, 02:56 AM
Good for you, TX! That appears to be a fine rifle. Love those old octagons!

JW said he was about even with you on his latest addition. You and I are exact: 1350, but mine was an old '94 octagon .32-40.

When you discover, would you mind sharing your findings on how to clean the stocks of decades old grime/darkening? I've decided to clean the wood on a couple of my rifles, but don't know how to best take care of them.

TXGunNut
02-20-2014, 10:32 PM
Good for you, TX! That appears to be a fine rifle. Love those old octagons!

JW said he was about even with you on his latest addition. You and I are exact: 1350, but mine was an old '94 octagon .32-40.

When you discover, would you mind sharing your findings on how to clean the stocks of decades old grime/darkening? I've decided to clean the wood on a couple of my rifles, but don't know how to best take care of them.

Can't recall seeing a 94 in 32-40, would make a nice addition around here so it's just as well, lol. Even have a 32WS to bridge the gap between 32-20 and 32-40.
No progress on the wood cleaning front, have a full schedule this weekend so I finished cleaning her bore and put her in the safe this morning.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-22-2014, 12:04 AM
Vintage Winchesters do not depreciate. As time goes by the value of your 92 will go up and will continue to do so. Anywhere up the line time-wise you will be able to resell the gun for profit if you wish. It appears to be in good shape and if you shoot it you will find that it does a good job. An octagon barrel is a big plus. Do the gun a favor and pull the magazine retaining screw and plug so that you can take out the magazine spring. Wipe it down or soak it in Evaporust to get rid of any if it is there. Oil it up and then swab out the magazine itself to get rid of any rust or crud and then put things back together again. You can be pretty well sure that in 112 years nobody ever did that and it'll do your 92 a lot of good. Best of luck with your gun. LLS

FromTheWoods
02-22-2014, 01:22 AM
No .32-40! Well then, it seems you have a pressing need in the .32 caliber realm--a '94 .32-40 and a Ruger Buckeye Convertible .32-20/32 H&R Magnum Revolver. After that, the logical step would be a '92 .38-40 rifle and Ruger's convertible in that caliber. Since you have the .38-40 in '92, might as well add an 1873 .38-40. Then a couple of .44-40's--and another convertible to try and balance the scene. Noticing a void in the '92 rack, you'll want to finish with a .25-20. But what's this? Oh joy! What a pleasant surprise--the old '92 218 Bee! could come home to stay. The view would still not be quite right--the '94's. Toss in a .25-35, pick up a .30WCF, and a complete the set with a .38-55.

I do recommend purchasing these rifles and revolvers, but you must take care to not mix octagon and round barrels or takedowns and non-takedowns in your collection. The resulting imbalance would lead to purchasing even more sets, resulting in a new addition on your house. Well, on second thought, more room might work out for the best; you'd be free to venture into the world of '76's and 86's.

Wow! You are one lucky fellow to have your future mapped out with such beautiful handguns and rifles headed your way! Good Luck!

TXGunNut
02-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Vintage Winchesters do not depreciate. As time goes by the value of your 92 will go up and will continue to do so. -LLS

I agree, to a point. I don't feel this rifle has much collector appeal but it's priced close to a good-quality modern 92 and I like it quite a bit better. I agree that it will not depreciate, even if I did pay more than I wanted to for it.
You were right about the magazine, only rust and pitting I found so far on the whole gun was on the grimy follower. Thanks for the tip.
Installed the Marble tang sight after I cleaned the magazine out, was a nervous wreck working on this pretty piece of history. Had to remove the rear sight, pretty sure it's not the correct one anyway. Glad I had a sight blank around to fill the hole, slot was a bit dinged up but the blank covered it all nicely.
Old girl's going to the range tomorrow! No telling how long it's been for her.

smokeywolf
02-22-2014, 08:57 PM
Given the choice, I would pay the money you paid for your well used 'Winchester made' '92, than half the money for a modern repro.

When I see a rifle like yours, It sparks my imagination. I wonder how many hunts it saw. Did it take deer? coyotes? Was she some excited boy's first Winchester? How many miles did it travel in a scabbard or resting across the rise of a saddle? Did it protect people or livestock from predators?
They always have a story to tell. All you have to do is look at her and let your imagination take you to where she's been.

Looking forward to the particulars of your trip to the range.

smokeywolf

TXGunNut
02-23-2014, 12:34 AM
I agree, Smokeywolf. Shooting replicas of old guns is like touching history, shooting a hundred year old plus firearm is like shaking hands with our forefathers. We'll never know what most of these old guns saw or did, we do know that most of them stand ready to do it again just like they did generations ago.
My shooting buddy has several guns made in the late 1800's, early 1900's. It is truly an honor to handle and fire these old relics. And yes, they seem to work as well as or better than more modern firearms. He's a bit past threescore and ten and he's not afraid to fire them with BP and lead, just like they were intended to be fired.

TXGunNut
02-24-2014, 12:49 AM
Took the 92 to the range today, was clear & cool but a bit windy. First shot @ 50 was about 2" from POA, getting better at installing these peep sights, lol. Mechanically everything was excellent other than a bent mag tube that may have been putting a bit of pressure on the barrel about 6" back from the muzzle. POI seemed to walk a bit during a string but it was hard to say. She doesn't like the load I was feeding her, think I need to step things up a little, maybe use a slower powder. Shooting buddy wants me to load it up with BP, just might do that. Still can't get over how smooth and tight that action is, want to take it apart and look for the ball bearings. :wink:
Straightened the mag tube a bit tonight & cleaned the wood with the conditioner found in the Birchwood Casey stock refinishing kit. Didn't clean it up much but it feels better and has a nice satin sheen.
Yep, I'm pumped! Sweet little gun, now I just need to find a load it likes. :drinks:

TXGunNut
03-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Slugged the bore today, came to .312 with no tight or loose spots that I could feel. There's a group buy on a mould that I think this old girl will like, might be awhile in the making but I have other projects to help pass the time.

Jack Stanley
03-09-2014, 09:44 AM
I don't know if this will help or not , when I'm cleaning old surplus rifles that have an "oil" finish . I use a mix of either tung oil or boiled linseed oil and turpentine . Normally a fifty fifty mix but have used different mixes depending on the crud factor .

Edit to add ; I use tung oil NOT "tung oil finish" , the latter has other stuff in it .

Jack

missionary5155
03-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Greetings TX
This has been a fun read.
More important than the bore will be the throat area. It may be right close to the bore or it may be .005 plus more in diameter. That is the hole you have to fill if you are going to get the best accuracy possible. Just like the throats on a revolver.. that first throat diameter is where all the stearing and forward movement begins. If started right then all that follows going down the tube will be much better.
My old 1873 32-20 (1890 vintage) has a rough throat of .316. The bore is .312. .315 is the absolute fattest my chamber will tolerate without neck turning brass. But the accuracy of .315 boolits is 50% less at 40 yards even with a pitted, interrupted rifling barrel. It still holds minute of ground hog shoulder at 35 yards but will get a new liner this time up north there.
This is one caliber I hope I will always have...
Mike in Peru

TXGunNut
03-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Good points, Mike. This particular bore has very little wear and only a little pitting. I didn't see any wear in the throat but I have another OO pellet so it won't take but a few minutes to check.

Thanks, Jack. It cleaned up OK with the Birchwood Casey product and the finish doesn't seem to need renewing at this time. I'd planned on using boiled linseed or a similar oil to maintain the finish but after cleaning it doesn't look like it needs it.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Could some body rate this '92 Winchester rifle. It has a 24 inch barrel and is in 32-20 caliber? It belongs to my brother but it has been at my house for a long time. He is in a VA hospital and will be until June. He is getting a knee re-replaced. They screwed up the first time and got his knee infected. They had to remove the replacement and kill the infection and will try again some time in May. Anyway here are the pictures of his 1892 Winchester. I would appreciate any help you could give me as to condition and possible value should he decide to part with it. I know the pictures are not great but they are the best I can do. Thanks

missionary5155
03-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Greetings
If you could write the serial # but leave off the last 3 numbers and just put "X"s that would help determine age. That is a factor in prices.
Also the bore condition is far more important to those of us who are shooters. Any pits, rings, rust, good sharp rifling, and muzzle condition .
Mike in Peru

TXGunNut
03-09-2014, 07:23 PM
Looks very much like the one I just bought; wood on your brother's rifle appears a bit better than mine, metal finish a bit more worn. Like Mike said many other factors that affect the value are hard to see in a picture. Nice rifle, if it shoots as good as it looks I hope you can keep it in the family.

GOPHER SLAYER
03-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys. I have an 1892 here in very nice condition but it is in 25-20 and I don't think you can use it in cowboy action shooting. Someone in the past sent the rifle to Winchester and had a new barrel put on it. You had to send them the entire rifle because they would not sell you a barrel by itself. The action is as stiff as a new rifle.