PDA

View Full Version : lyman 61 mould master

labradigger1
02-15-2014, 10:29 PM
Anyone see the auction on the lyman 61 furnace that just ended on evil bay?
Final winning bid was $228.00, really? Amazing what people will pay. I have and use 2 old lyman 61's as my main casting pots, have never had the first complaint or problem with either one. I know sooner or later the cord will bite the dust but so far so good. On second thought, would be nice if it was at least a 20 pounder. I usually set a couple ingots on the top plate to keep nice and hot to feed it when it gets low. I like to keep the pot almost full to keep the head pressure and temp in check.
So what say you that have the old 61's, would you sell yours for $228.00 ? I personally would not as they have been great tools for me. Also, really like the mould guides.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-15-2014, 11:45 PM
Sixty-ones were/are good pots;well built and part of a magic few including the Saeco Model 24's. They are much sought after, but I don't know if $228. is rational even for one in pristine shape. Not to worry about cords for replacement with electrically sound new ones is easy to come by. I currently have a Saeco and will not sell it. I agree that 10 pounders are a little short in quantity, but bigger pots were not yet in vogue back in the day. Four cavs and sixes will drain 10 pounders quick. Can[t use large ingots either as they drop melt temp drastically. If you have other probs with the 61, there is a wealth of material including parts on this forum and it can be searched up. LLS