PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Grody Old ammo

JWFilips
02-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Hi Folks: a friend gave me two boxes of factory 35 Rem 200 grain core lok ammo that was stored away for many years: cases are blacked and discolored but all look ok! Is there any safe way of cleaning these up or just leave the as they are?

CastingFool
02-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Steel wool?

Zymurgy50
02-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Shoot a couple and look for signs of high pressure, if none found shoot them and then worry about cleaning the brass. Or pull the bullets , deprime and tumble.

Cmm_3940
02-15-2014, 09:22 PM
I may catch he** from some folks for saying this, but I've been known to clean old (loaded) ammo in my vibratory tumbler.

yman
02-15-2014, 09:31 PM
A freind gave me about 75 rounds of 45 Colt the other day, some jaketed some LRNFP. Looked to be all reloads to me, not knowing who did it or what they loaded them with, I pulled all the bullets, dumped the poweder and put the cleanest cases aside to reload. Most the the cases were sticky and gumy with soft lube and alox. I threw the still primed cases in the tumbler and let it run, figured it would ruin he primers. I took 4 or 5 out and stuck them in my ruger and they all fired. I am just going to make plinker out of the rest and salvage the cases to use later. I was supprised it did not ruin the primers,but seems not to have, we will see. I have a friend that said his dad regularly used to throw 38's in the his tumbler.

Scharfschuetze
02-15-2014, 11:02 PM
I've used steel wool in the past with good success. If you use a Lee case trimmer base and attach it to a hand drill, you can accomplish the task fairly quickly without too much effort.

I would pull a few bullets and check the condition of the powder before launching rounds down range.

sdcitizen
02-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Ketchup will take the tarnish off without leaking everywhere. Worked pretty well on some old 30-40 rounds that were getting green.

jameslovesjammie
02-20-2014, 03:40 PM
I may catch he** from some folks for saying this, but I've been known to clean old (loaded) ammo in my vibratory tumbler.

That's exactly what I would do.

TXGunNut
02-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Funny, just got a handful of old 35 Rem ammo myself. Interesting headstamps: PETERS, REM-UMC, SUPER-X and SUPER SPEED. SUPER-X even has domed primers. Just noticed that they all seem to have had light primer hits. I think I'll clean them a bit in my vibratory cleaner and just set them aside for eye candy.

Firebricker
02-23-2014, 01:58 PM
You will have to be more specific is it Grody or Grody to the Max? There is a big difference. LOL I tumbled a few old 30-06 rounds one at a time which worked but slow. The best way I have found is what Scharfschuetzer suggested using a Lee trimmer case holder in a drill using steel wool or a scotch brite pad. FB

JWFilips
02-23-2014, 02:24 PM
You will have to be more specific is it Grody or Grody to the Max? There is a big difference. LOL I tumbled a few old 30-06 rounds one at a time which worked but slow. The best way I have found is what Scharfschuetzer suggested using a Lee trimmer case holder in a drill using steel wool or a scotch brite pad. FB

Well Not Grody to the Max:-D

Stuff isn't even Green...... just just vey dark with stains. The 0000 steel wool did the trick Thanks All

dogmower
03-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Well Not Grody to the Max:-D

Stuff isn't even Green...... just just vey dark with stains. The 0000 steel wool did the trick Thanks All

New to this site.
I use 50/50 vinegar and water to soak tarnished brass, then coat it with Flitz metal polish or the cheaper Metal Crème polish sold in big lots, any ammonia based metal polish, then tumble.
Comes out looking almost new, even the beat up range .308 fired through an HK.
hope that helps, john.