PDA

View Full Version : breakfast, dinner, supper

Charlie Two Tracks
02-15-2014, 02:06 PM
Seems like supper is a word of the past. How did it become breakfast, lunch, dinner? Maybe the school lunch program? I still call it breakfast, dinner and supper and mess most people up with that. Just wondering on a cold winter day.

runfiverun
02-15-2014, 02:09 PM
dinner is at 4-6 pm, supper is generally later like 10-12 pm.
it's a European- American thing.

popper
02-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Kind of like brunch and linner. Mom just said 'foods on the table, get it before I clean the kitchen'.

WILCO
02-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Seems like supper is a word of the past.

Same thing with other words such as "Marriage", "Girlfriend" and "Boyfriend".
Get sick of hearing young bucks saying their "Girlfriend" is at home with their 3 kids. I tell them they're past the "Girlfriend/Boyfriend" part and should look at the "Marriage" part.

Love Life
02-15-2014, 02:49 PM
It takes hard work, dedication, commitment, and the ability to work through problems in order to be married.

Who has time for all of that?

bandsmoyer
02-15-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm with you Charlie

w5pv
02-15-2014, 02:57 PM
You are correct Charlie that is the way it has been here for 70 plus a few years.

montana_charlie
02-15-2014, 03:03 PM
Seems like supper is a word of the past. How did it become breakfast, lunch, dinner? Maybe the school lunch program? I still call it breakfast, dinner and supper and mess most people up with that. Just wondering on a cold winter day.
I (we) traveled around a lot when I was a kid, so I got exposed to many different segments of American society ... mostly in the south and west.
Some will say breakfast, dinner and supper, while others will call it breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The 'dinner and supper' crowd seems to more 'southern' and the others more 'midwestern'.

I say that because, no matter how far we roamed, there would always come a time when I would spend time with my paternal grandmother, who was a 'Southern lady' in every way.
While the container I carried to school with a noonday meal might be called by a number of names ... like sack lunch, lunch pail, or lunch box ... Grandmother always called it my 'dinner bucket'.

She never served 'lunch' at her house. Breakfast was hearty enough to get you through the bulk of the day, and then it was time for the main meal ... which was dinner. To her, supper was a light snack to 'settle your stomach' in preparation for bedtime.

CM

DLCTEX
02-15-2014, 04:40 PM
I grew up with breakfast, dinner, and supper, but have evolved to mostly breakfast, lunch, and alternately supper or dinner depending on the listener. Noon meal is the largest to fuel the body for the tasks at hand.

mainiac
02-15-2014, 04:43 PM
I live up here where we have dooryards,,so naturally we dont eat dinner,,we eat supper...

jeepyj
02-15-2014, 04:52 PM
I live up here where we have dooryards,,so naturally we dont eat dinner,,we eat supper...
Yep, What he said, Its defiantly "supper"
Jeepyj

GaryN
02-15-2014, 05:08 PM
My wife does the dinner, supper. I say the lunch, dinner.

Springfield
02-15-2014, 06:16 PM
My mother grew up with breakfast, dinner and supper, but then she lived on a farm in Maine. My father grew up with breakfast, lunch and dinner, and he grew up in the middle of Springfield, Mass. So I always thought of it as more of a country/city thing. Maine isn't very "southern".

dragon813gt
02-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Don't know anyone that uses the term supper. My family and friends have always called it dinner.

bear67
02-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Being raised in rural Texas, it was always breakfast, dinner and supper. We had dinner on the ground at church at noon and church suppers in the evening. Still do!

I do notice that my grand children use lunch and dinner, but I am too old a dog to change at this point. Just be sure and call me for dinner.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Leonardo Da Vinci painted the last dinner? Don't sound right to me.

km101
02-15-2014, 06:39 PM
Being raised in rural Texas, it was always breakfast, dinner and supper. We had dinner on the ground at church at noon and church suppers in the evening. Still do!

Same here, it was always Breakfast, Dinner & Supper in E. Texas. I think it is more of a rural/urban thing than N or S. My kids all said Supper until they were grown and "moved to town" where they changed to Dinner.

Nowdays where the wife/mother is out making a career rather than supper, the evening meal is mostly called "take out" or "reservations."

Down South
02-15-2014, 06:59 PM
I'm from the South. We call meals in the afternoon/evening supper.

bnelson06
02-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Breakfast, lunch, and supper

texassako
02-15-2014, 07:14 PM
I was taught that dinner was the biggest meal, and usually only Sundays ended up having a big dinner at noon. If it was small and quick it was lunch followed by dinner at night. On Sundays we were still full and had a lighter supper at night. To confuse things, some of my older relatives always called it breakfast, lunch, and supper.

Wayne Smith
02-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Growing up in Maine it was Breakfast, lunch, and supper. Moved to VA and it was breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I thought it was a north/south thing.

SciFiJim
02-15-2014, 08:48 PM
I was taught that dinner was the biggest meal, and usually only Sundays ended up having a big dinner at noon. If it was small and quick it was lunch followed by dinner at night. On Sundays we were still full and had a lighter supper at night. To confuse things, some of my older relatives always called it breakfast, lunch, and supper.

Yep, breakfast was breakfast, mid-day meal meal was lunch except for Sunday, then it was Sunday Dinner. The evening meal was always supper.
I grew up country in South Texas and southwest Louisiana.

Jammersix
02-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Mom said lunch and dinner, Dad said dinner and supper.

They were married more than sixty years until Dad's death. They both earned their capital letters. (Mom says they're still married.)

Mom won.

That's how it changed where I grew up.

OBIII
02-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Just keep a bunch of pizza handy. Doesn't matter what time of day, it's always Pizza Time. :)

OB

Beau Cassidy
02-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Growing up in Mississippi dinner was the noon meal. More of a social occasion, if you must, such as when Grandmother cooked it on Sunday. The evening meal was supper. And we ALL sat at the table. My times past....

fryboy
02-15-2014, 11:00 PM
so ...what's wrong with 4 meals a day ? ( and a coupla snacks!!! ) while mostly it seems that lunch and dinner were often interchanged as was dinner and supper i still prefer the idea of breakfast lunch dinner and supper ,now ...if i'd just quit working it off so i could gain a layer of fat to help keep me warm in the winter

DIRT Farmer
02-16-2014, 12:09 AM
The German American heritage I grew up with, we had breakfast at about 5 AM, lunch at around 9 after the chores were done (milking feeding) dinner at noon, Lunch before afternoon chores, and supper around 8 PM then relax for the evening. Lunch was generaly left overs from the earlier meal.

geargnasher
02-16-2014, 12:25 AM
Well I've certainly learned a lot. I grew up with "Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper" but until now have always associated it with the rural south.

Gear

wlc
02-16-2014, 12:57 AM
Another southern born and bred here. Always breakfast, dinner and supper. Folks look at me strangely up here in the great white north when I saw lets go eat dinner at noon.....

Lloyd Smale
02-16-2014, 07:01 AM
dinner is what rich people eat. We eat supper

6bg6ga
02-16-2014, 07:06 AM
No money left to eat after buying reloading components.

No breakfast did have lunch and supper

375supermag
02-16-2014, 11:02 AM
We have breakfast in the morning, lunch around noon and dinner/supper(terms used interchangeably) between 6-7:30PM.

If I get hungry at some other time of day...I just eat something.

762 shooter
02-16-2014, 11:32 AM
This redneck grew up with breakfast, dinner, and supper. Mom made dinner. I don't care what she called it as long as I wasn't late for it.

I guess the mid morning break would be called brinner? I have to ask for clarification when invited to dinner.

shooterg
02-16-2014, 12:06 PM
Breakfast is breakfast. Midday meal is lunch, unless it's an occasion, like Thanksgiving dinner with the family. Supper is the evening meal, unless-again- it's an occasion, Supper is at home always. Dinner usually means eating out to us. As stated, Christmas,Thanksgiving, other special meals are dinners no matter time of day !

canyon-ghost
02-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Call me anything you want, just don't call me late for supper!

My Dad said that a lot, still does. I think supper is a less politically correct word now days. But, I won't waste any time worrying about it.

blackthorn
02-16-2014, 12:30 PM
Dirt farmer got it right! Growing up on a farm, it was a long time between chances to eat! Up at 4:30, chores, Breakfast, more work, something to eat, work, dinner, work, lunch, work, evening chores, supper, relax, bed. Hard work burned lots of calories. Nowadays things are a bit more easy with all the modern gismos to help out so--- procedures and language evolve (or devolve) to fit. I never thought of it in any geological sense but I guess that is another possibility. I grew up in south-central Manitoba.

rockrat
02-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Alway thought that Dinner was a Yankee thing and Supper was for the enlightened southerners!! :)

owejia
02-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Breakfast, dinner and supper until I learned in the Army just chow time.

jcwit
02-16-2014, 04:56 PM
I've eaten supper my whole 70 years in the evening as in 5pm on.

Never sat down to a thanksgiving lunch.

Blammer
02-16-2014, 05:15 PM
breakfast, lunch, dinner and mid-rats. That's how it's suppose to be. :)

Col4570
02-16-2014, 05:20 PM
One more to consider,Breakfast,Lunch,Tea , Super.Breakfast here is Bacon and eggs , Cornflakes,Porridge.Lunch can be anything from a full blown cooked meal to sandwiches.Tea here is usualy the evening meal when all come home from work or School etc.Supper is usualy considered a late meal prior to going to Bed.If you are posh you might take High tea,Scones Jam(Jelly)Marmalade etc.I think now days it is down to whatever customs your particular location calls the meals.I have cut out supper in an attempt to reduce my girth a bit.

Jammersix
02-16-2014, 09:52 PM
Never sat down to a thanksgiving lunch.
I never sat down to Thanksgiving dinner at noon.

MT Gianni
02-16-2014, 10:27 PM
We go out for dinner and stay in for supper. Another vote for dinner being the large meal of the day, in my home I remember Breakfast dinner and supper in my wifes' it was lunch and dinner.

plmitch
02-17-2014, 02:30 AM
Breakfast, lunch and dinner was the way I was raised.