PDA

View Full Version : A comment on Henry Repeating Arms

357shooter
02-15-2014, 05:54 AM
So I recently bought a 357 Big Boy, one of the guns with a solid brass receiver. What a sweet shooting lever action. I put on a Skinner receiver mount aperture sight, which requires a taller Skinner front sight. They make a nice tall soft one designed for you to file down as needed. The rear is adjustable. Anyway, I couldn't get the factory front off, and even put a slight scratch on the barrel while trying.

Rather than messing it up, I sent it to Henry, with with Skinner front and a note. I asked them what they could so with the scratch and if they would put on the Skinner, and asked them to let me know the cost so I could pay for it. After all, it was my fault, and they had to take time to mount the Skinner. If they would even do that.

In a little over a week I get my Big Boy back, with a brand new barrel, and the Skinner sight installed. It was all done flawlessly. All with no charge, not even shipping cost to me. What a first class company. It's a pleasure to shoot the rifle, it's a real joy to deal with a first rate company like Henry.

So, now the question is: What will be my next rifle? Which Henry, the 30-30, the 45-70, or the 17HMR or 22 mag? Maybe another Big Boy in 44mag or 45 Colt...

Thank you Henry!!! :grin::grin::grin:

hickstick_10
02-15-2014, 06:21 AM
Im saving up for their 1860 version in 44-40.

I had a big boy, a golden boy and an H001, sold 2 and gave one away, kind of miss the golden boy.

FergusonTO35
02-15-2014, 08:00 AM
Great rifles from a great company. I'd get the .30-30!

MBTcustom
02-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Duly noted! Thank you for passing along the good word!

junkpile
02-15-2014, 12:26 PM
For Henry, customer service is everything. I've run across countless people both on the forums, and in actual life that have had to send things in to Henry, and they have all been very satisfied.

dubber123
02-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Excellent customer service isn't appreciated by enough people. It's rare today.

w5pv
02-15-2014, 03:04 PM
I had a Henry 45 Colt in my hands this morning that was all I could do to keep it from making my wife show her best behavior toward me purchasing another gun.

Lefty Red
02-15-2014, 03:35 PM
One reason I am saving up for a Big Boy instead of a Rossi.

FergusonTO35
02-15-2014, 04:24 PM
I would like to see Henry bring out a Big Boy with blued receiver and not so heavy barrel. If they could get the weight down to 7 pounds that would be perfect.

dverna
02-15-2014, 06:23 PM
I would like to see Henry bring out a Big Boy with blued receiver and not so heavy barrel. If they could get the weight down to 7 pounds that would be perfect.

Agree totally. A lever action should balance sweetly and not be heavy. If I am going to carry a heavy gun, it will be an accurate bolt action.

I only have one Henry. The little .22. It is a decent gun for the money and never had a problem with it.

Don Verna

lar45
02-15-2014, 07:36 PM
I'll give a +100 for Henry's Service also.
The wife and I were at a Boy Scout Fundraiser Dinner/Auction and they had a Henry Golden Boy Eagle Scout edition 22lr. Our youngest son was well on his way to earning his Eable Scout, so we bid high and often and won the rifle to put away for him.
He got his Eagle and at the ceremony/dinner we gave it to him. Needless to say he loved it, but wanted to shoot it. We had to tell him no that this one was to be a wall hanger.
His rifle happened to be sitting on the gun bench when our shop fire happened last september and was totally ruined.
My wife wrote Henry and asked if there was a dealer near by that might happen to have a replacement. The President of the compancy wrote back and said to send the rifle in and they'd see what they could do.
They sent back a brand new Eagle Scout Golden Boy along with a display case at no charge.
So we went and bought him a regular one that he can shoot.

hpdrifter
02-15-2014, 08:37 PM
I would buy one in a heartbeat, if it didn't have 38:1 rifling.

357shooter
02-15-2014, 08:57 PM
I would buy one in a heartbeat, if it didn't have 38:1 rifling.
It has a 16 inch twist.

When I Googled I got that same 38 inch twist result, which is incoorect.

I measured it and it's 16 inch, one of the guys on the Henry forum confirmed it with the factory as well. If you look a the Henry site he 44 mag has the 38 in twist, but the 357 and 45 Colt don't list the twist rate. I believe the Colt is 16 like the 357.

hound-1
02-16-2014, 01:44 PM
I recently bought a h009 in 30/30, when it came in the butt stock had a hair line crack. I called henry fully expecting just another butt stock. They had me send in my rifle, and in no time, I received a brand new one with the most beautiful figured set of stocks I've ever owned. I cant believe that they just grabbed a replacement rifle from the rack and sent it to me, its that fancy. I have to believe that they "made" things right,and they did for sure. They are in my eyes anyway A+++

hpdrifter
02-16-2014, 03:13 PM
It has a 16 inch twist.

When I Googled I got that same 38 inch twist result, which is incoorect.

I measured it and it's 16 inch, one of the guys on the Henry forum confirmed it with the factory as well. If you look a the Henry site he 44 mag has the 38 in twist, but the 357 and 45 Colt don't list the twist rate. I believe the Colt is 16 like the 357.

Well, that puts a new perspective on things. I'll keep my eye open for one now. Of course, I'm going to have to verify that myself, meaning no disrespect.

FergusonTO35
02-18-2014, 06:21 PM
I really hope Henry never decides to chase the bottom dollar sales like Winchester and Marlin did. They should keep making great rifles with great customer service and if that makes them more expensive then so be it.

Iowa Fox
02-18-2014, 08:27 PM
I really hope Henry never decides to chase the bottom dollar sales like Winchester and Marlin did. They should keep making great rifles with great customer service and if that makes them more expensive then so be it.

The difference between Henry and the other companies is the actual owner is running the place. How many places can you email or call today and actually get the owner of the place on the line or answering your email? I have watched the owners of companies get old and sell out if they didn't have family to continue. New CEOs came in along with bean counters lining their pockets with no regard for their employees or customers buying their crappy products. This is whats wrong with America today.
Also its hard to pass a company or business to your kids because the government is standing there with their stealing hand out for inheritance taxes. Many thanks to you Anthony for the great products you sell us and the way you run your business.

uncle joe
02-18-2014, 08:34 PM
The wife and I were at a Boy Scout Fundraiser Dinner/Auction and they had a Henry Golden Boy Eagle Scout edition 22lr. Our youngest son was well on his way to earning his Eable Scout, so we bid high and often and won the rifle to put away for him.
He got his Eagle and at the ceremony/dinner we gave it to him. Needless to say he loved it, but wanted to shoot it. We had to tell him no that this one was to be a wall hanger.
His rifle happened to be sitting on the gun bench when our shop fire happened last september and was totally ruined.
My wife wrote Henry and asked if there was a dealer near by that might happen to have a replacement. The President of the compancy wrote back and said to send the rifle in and they'd see what they could do.
They sent back a brand new Eagle Scout Golden Boy along with a display case at no charge.

That is AWESOME I will be saving up for a Henry. My step father bought my mom one, 22 lr, it has to have the smoothest action for a lever gun I've ever shot.
Great company!

357shooter
02-18-2014, 08:48 PM
That is one great story.

Bullshop
02-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Well ya know someone always has to go against the grain and as usual it gonna be ol Bullshop again.
First off I don't care for pot metal guns so I don't like them.
Second I must relate what experience a friend has had with Henry. He has a golden boy 22 mag that was broken in half when a horse rolled over on it. The gun was picked up in two pieces. Both the upper and lower tangs broke off so the but stock being attached to them was sepperate from the rest of the receiver. Because the hammer spring and guide rod are held in place by a mortise on the bottom tang they were lost when the gun broke.
The owner contacted henry and they said it could not be fixed and they would do nothing about it. He told me about it and asked if I could fix it which I did. I asked him to contact Henry to see if they would at least replace the hammer spring and guide rod as that would make it an easier fix than if I had to make them without a pattern. They seemed to disregard his call by saying yes they would send the parts but then never did. This went on for a couple months so I asked my Wife to contact Henry and see if she could persuade them to send the parts. She can be very persuasive and was successful. They actually sent the parts twice, once to my address in my Wife's name then again to my address in the gun owners name.
Funny thing is she never mentioned the gun owners name when she talked to then. I guess they surmised since it is unlikely there were two golden boy 22 mags broken in half in Dell Mt. with a population of 35.
My friend a business owner with a large number of people passing through his gas stop The Dell Mercantile on I-15 takes every opportunity to persuade people to stay away from buying Henry. On the other hand he has been a boon for my business telling everyone That I can fix guns that even the manufacturer cant fix.

FergusonTO35
02-18-2014, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know if the scope mount hole spacing on the centerfire Henry is the same as Marlin? Was looking at their .45-70 today and it looked just like Marlin, which would be very convenient.

Bullshop
02-18-2014, 10:32 PM
It aint no Marlin!!!
To my eye that funky clunky chunky hunk of barrel band front sight is hideous.
Please don't degrade a Marlin that way.

357shooter
02-19-2014, 06:44 AM
Hey Bullshop, that story about the broken Henry doesn't even make sense. I think your friend left something out because it doesn't line up with anyone else's experience. But thanks for feeling the need to post and adding no value at all. By the start of your post you knew you were being and idiot when you were typing, but you continued anyway. :Fire::Fire::Fire:

Is this really Bullshop with over 6,200 posts or some Troll that hacked into the forum and is going out of his way to be disruptive?

Marlin makes some nice guns, I looked at them prior to buying the Henry and have been delighted with my decision to get the Henry. Apparently others are too. :):):)

Bullshop
02-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Hey Bullshop, that story about the broken Henry doesn't even make sense. I think your friend left something out because it doesn't line up with anyone else's experience. But thanks for feeling the need to post and adding no value at all. By the start of your post you knew you were being and idiot when you were typing, but you continued anyway. :Fire::Fire::Fire:

Is this really Bullshop with over 6,200 posts or some Troll that hacked into the forum and is going out of his way to be disruptive?

Marlin makes some nice guns, I looked at them prior to buying the Henry and have been delighted with my decision to get the Henry. Apparently others are too. :):):)
Wow that was harsh!!!
I am glad you are happy with your decision to buy a Henry, that is a good thing. Sorry if my relating this story pushed your insult button. The story is true. If you wish you can call The Dell Mercantile in Dell Montana at 406-276-3332 and ask for Paul the owner of the business and the owner of the rifle I spoke of. Fair warning though if you are easily insulted with someone talking bad about something you own or like you will be insulted talking with him about this because he will have nothing good to say and will relate the same story I told here.
If you have thick enough skin then I would encourage you to have a chat with him and get conformation of the story I told. If then you are satisfied that I am not a troll, a liar, and in general a trouble maker I would like to hear an apology.
I don't really expect to hear the apology but as I said I would like it.
I guess I could take some pictures of the repaired gun and post them here. It may be helpful for other owners of pot metal guns to know how to fix them when eventually they break. That would be something of an inconvenience for me so I will leave the inconvenience up to you and encourage you to give Paul a call and here the story from him.
I have been a member of this forum for a very long time and think I have established a reputation for being a man of my word, a truthful man, a man that can be trusted for what he says. In relating this story I have not broken that trust that many of the old time members here have placed in me.
The ball is now in your court. Step up to the plate and be a man about it. Make the call then come back here and tell the truth. Then if you are a decent man you will openly apologies for the things you posted about me for having an opinion that is different than yours.
I will also reiterate my feelings on the new big bore Henry, the one that has a receiver that is actually made from steel and not pot metal,
IT IS UGLY !, IT IS NOT A MARLIN! IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A MARLIN AND THE FRONT BARREL BAND SIGHT ARRANGMENT IS HIDIOUS!

Bullshop
02-19-2014, 10:17 AM

Wow that was harsh!!!
I am glad you are happy with your decision to buy a Henry, that is a good thing. Sorry if my relating this story pushed your insult button. The story is true. If you wish you can call The Dell Mercantile in Dell Montana at 406-276-3332 and ask for Paul the owner of the business and the owner of the rifle I spoke of. Fair warning though if you are easily insulted with someone talking bad about something you own or like you will be insulted talking with him about this because he will have nothing good to say and will relate the same story I told here.
If you have thick enough skin then I would encourage you to have a chat with him and get conformation of the story I told. If then you are satisfied that I am not a troll, a liar, and in general a trouble maker I would like to hear an apology.
I guess I could take some pictures of the repaired gun and post them here. It may be helpful for other owners of pot metal guns to know how to fix them when eventually they break. That would be something of an inconvenience for me so I will leave the inconvenience up to you and encourage you to give Paul a call and here the story from him.
I have been a member of this forum for a very long time and think I have established a reputation for being a man of my word, a truthful man, a man that can be trusted for what he says. In relating this story I have not broken that trust that many of the old time members here have placed in me.
The ball is now in your court. Step up to the plate and be a man about it. Make the call then come back here and tell the truth. Then if you are a decent man you will openly apologies for the things you posted about me for having an opinion that is different than yours.
I will also reiterate my feelings on the new big bore Henry, the one that has a receiver that is actually made from steel and not pot metal,
IT IS UGLY !, IT IS NOT A MARLIN! IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE A MARLIN AND THE FRONT BARREL BAND SIGHT ARRANGMENT IS HIDIOUS!

Bullshop Junior
02-19-2014, 04:35 PM
I will step up and say i have no experiance with the centerfire Henry rifles, but after handling a couple of them and fixing the broken tang on THREE of the rimfire ones I won't touch one. The henry pump is the roughest gun I have ever laid hands on.

FergusonTO35
02-19-2014, 05:56 PM
I was just asking if the Henry centerfire receiver had the scope mount holes in the same place as Marlin. I don't see how that degrades Marlin, of which I own four.

Bullshop Junior
02-19-2014, 06:21 PM
I was just asking if the Henry centerfire receiver had the scope mount holes in the same place as Marlin. I don't see how that degrades Marlin, of which I own four.

I doubt he was reffering to your post. Alot of people bad mouth thr new Remlins. I think the Henry base is the same, but am not possitive.

Bullshop
02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
My comment was a toung in cheek reference to this,
"" Was looking at their .45-70 today and it looked just like Marlin,"""
Trying to express my opinion with humor with this,
"""To my eye that funky clunky chunky hunk of barrel band front sight is hideous"""
But I guess I failed.

John Allen
02-19-2014, 07:06 PM
I am going to get a big boy once the money is available. The reason for this is just what you said they have great customer service.

357shooter
02-20-2014, 06:28 AM
Wow that was harsh!!!
I stand by my post. Your post was in inappropriate in my opinion. If you don't get that there is not much I can say to educate you on how to deal with people.

Your opinion about what I would or would not do "if I were a decent man" is of concen to me. Although it is an attempt to manipulate the conversation, which is pointless to pursue. It's another was of asking, "have you stopped beating your wife".

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 09:00 AM
I stand by my post. Your post was in inappropriate in my opinion. If you don't get that there is not much I can say to educate you on how to deal with people.

Your opinion about what I would or would not do "if I were a decent man" is of concen to me. Although it is an attempt to manipulate the conversation, which is pointless to pursue. It's another was of asking, "have you stopped beating your wife".

People are commenting on Henrys. Quite bashing because you don't like his opinion. I know a good few people that refuse to touch another henry since they are pieces of junk.

terk
02-20-2014, 09:19 AM
My comment is by someone who actually owns a Henry Big Boy .357, not second hand.

What i will say is that I considered new Rossi, Marlin, and others, but bought the Henry based on some respected reviews and actually handling one at a dealer.

I've been very pleased from the beginning: the fit and finish are perfect, the action is smooth and has only gotten slicker over the first 1,000 or so rounds.

And accurate! I've been cooking up handloads and have found several combos that will group at 1/2 inch at 50 yards. I'll try more at 100 when I've refined these further.

I've only had two encounters with customer service: once when ordering a scope mount and once to inquire about ammo. In both cases a person speaking English answered the phone and helped me immediately.

Heading out to the range in a half hour to try some more reloads.

357shooter
02-20-2014, 11:16 AM
People are commenting on Henrys. Quite bashing because you don't like his opinion. I know a good few people that refuse to touch another henry since they are pieces of junk.

I responded directly to a post aimed at me. What don't you get about that.

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2014, 11:18 AM
I responded directly to a post aimed at me. What don't you get about that.

Your first post wasn't. Im done here.

357shooter
02-20-2014, 11:23 AM
Your first post wasn't. Im done here.
Text deleted. Movin' on.

357shooter
02-20-2014, 11:44 AM
My comment is by someone who actually owns a Henry Big Boy .357, not second hand.

What i will say is that I considered new Rossi, Marlin, and others, but bought the Henry based on some respected reviews and actually handling one at a dealer.

I've been very pleased from the beginning: the fit and finish are perfect, the action is smooth and has only gotten slicker over the first 1,000 or so rounds.

And accurate! I've been cooking up handloads and have found several combos that will group at 1/2 inch at 50 yards. I'll try more at 100 when I've refined these further.

I've only had two encounters with customer service: once when ordering a scope mount and once to inquire about ammo. In both cases a person speaking English answered the phone and helped me immediately.

Heading out to the range in a half hour to try some more reloads.
What's working for you? I have a 145 RF style from Mountain Molds with a gas check. It's liking 14.5 of 2400. The Lee 158 RF seems to work in a light load, but not with 2400, at least so far. Lighter bullets haven't done so well.

Bullshop
02-20-2014, 12:28 PM
357shooter
You were handed an opportunity to disprove my claim, DID YOU MAKE THE CALL? It seems you want to stand on your high henry hill and throw stones at any opinion different than yours. I have given an honest account that is negative to your opinion and instead of accepting it for what it is you have responded in a very immature fashion with childish name calling. I will not reciprocate in kind but only ask that you take the opertunity given you to verify my claim. If you choose to call a man a liar you should at least take the time to make a simple call that can verify the truth.
Apparently the truth disturbs you if it is not what you want to hear.
The truth is that the RF henry rifles have receivers made from pot metal, a die cast aluminum zink alloy. The upper and lower tangs are very week and can tolerate little side pressure without breaking. This is not an uncommon occurrence with these rifles. I am sorry if that truth bothers you. I guess what you would rather hear that the RF henry is an indestructible tank and the best there is and you refuse to hear anything else.
That seems neither a wise nor mature attitude.
In contrast to the pot metal henry rf rifle I have to compare a model 39 Marlin a 22 rf rifle made from steel and wood. Take the time to give each an honest evaluation and with an open unbiased mind decide if on seem to be of better quality and value that the other.
The Marlin model 39 has been with us for many decade and I have never seen or heard of one having a broken tang. Probably because the Marlin tangs are made from steel and not pot metal.
Perhaps the henry company has some qualities to be commended but their rf rifles leave much to be desired when compared to the Marlin as some folks have done in this thread, "" looks just like a Marlin"""
Facts can not intelligently be disputed. Opinions are based on perceptions weather factual or otherwise. I am not now nor have I ever been persuaded by popular opinion based on non factual perceptions. I am and always have been willing to stand alone on the facts and to base my opinion on the facts regardless of popular opinion. Regardless of what seems popular opinion on the Henry RF rifles the fact is they are made from pot metal and pot metal is a poor substitute for steel in gun making, FACT.
Now if we can get back to your personal attack on me. Again I reiterate that you have been handed the means by a simple phone call to prove or to disprove my claim, a simple matter. Please make the call and if you are justified in calling me a liar I will apologies to the entire membership at castboolits. If on the other hand you get confirmation that I have related truth in sharing this mans experience with the Henry company then I will expect an apology from you for the name calling. Again I must say that I do not expect to ever get that apology since that would be a display of maturity and wisdom which I have not yet seen from you in this exchange. What I actually expect to see is more of the same that has been.

jmort
02-20-2014, 12:34 PM
You are right and I am wrong. Please accept my apology.

Bullshop
02-20-2014, 12:53 PM
""" The rim-fire rifles have zinc alloy receiver covers and steel receivers."""
Wrong! Look again.
What are the upper and lower tangs made from? That is not a receiver cover! The tangs are an extension of the actual die cast receiver. Are the tangs abnormally susceptible to breakage compared to steel? Am I wrong? What was my original post about? It was about the pot metal tangs both upper and lower broken completely off the receiver casting. FACT!
Please let us deal with fact and please let us leave the personal attacks out. If I am mistaken on what I have presented as fact to my knowledge please correct me.
Am I wrong in saying that the upper and lower tangs made from die cat metal are part of the receiver casting? The cover is yet another part for sure but as for what I saw when making the repair to the rifle I originally posted about the receiver including both upper and lower tangs are one casting. True or not true?

jmort
02-20-2014, 01:00 PM

Bullshop
02-20-2014, 01:10 PM
Got a picture? You can show exactly where pot metal ends and steel begins. If the tangs and the remainder of the housing that they are a part of are not the receiver then what are they?
The Henry company told me they could not replace the casting which the tangs are a part of because that part has the serial number on it. They said they could not ship a duplicate number receiver (their term) and would not issue a receiver with a different number By law the serial number must be on the receiver. So what do you call it?

jmort
02-20-2014, 03:34 PM

starmac
02-20-2014, 04:01 PM
Is everybody on the same page and talking about the centerfire henry?? It seems to me that some may be comparing apples to oranges here, but I don't know a lot about henrys.

I wanted a centerfire lever for a long time and checked out the henrys numerous times, they pretty much all were slick. I finally made up my mind to buy one, because I was just too tight to pay what a marlin or winchester cost, but as luck would have it I ran across a sweet deal on a 39A, so that is what I wound up with.
For the price of the henry rimfire, you could just about buy two in case you break one I guess. lol

Bullshop
02-20-2014, 06:46 PM
Apology accepted and thank you!

Bullshop
02-20-2014, 07:04 PM
OK since the Henry company has confirmed what I have said to be true then Mr. 357magnum are you going to man up and give an apology as Mr. jmortimer has done?
You know its the right thing to do!

starmac
02-20-2014, 07:23 PM

A little earned respect on this one, at least from here. I can't say one way or the other about the henrys, but I have to think Dan pretty much knows what he is about.

I also have a hard time calling a man a liar, unless it is something I am 100% positive, and I barely met Dan only once. He may be getting a little long in the tooth, and not real big, but I would hate to call him one to his face. lol

Bullshop
02-20-2014, 11:47 PM
What teeth?:grin:

.22-10-45
02-21-2014, 03:25 AM
Company claims their new 1860 .44-40 will have reciever made of 'hardened brass"..whatever that is..the originals were Gun Metal..or a form of bronze. Wonder if they would chamber the 1860 in .44 Spec. or even better, .44 Russian..that little ctg. nearly duplicates the original .44 Henry rimfire in dia. & length..might get 16 in there!

357shooter
02-21-2014, 07:10 AM
357shooter
You were handed an opportunity to disprove my claim, DID YOU MAKE THE CALL? It seems you want to stand on your high henry hill and throw stones at any opinion different than yours. I have given an honest account that is negative to your opinion and instead of accepting it for what it is you have responded in a very immature fashion with childish name calling. I will not reciprocate in kind but only ask that you take the opertunity given you to verify my claim. If you choose to call a man a liar you should at least take the time to make a simple call that can verify the truth.
The truth is that the RF henry rifles have receivers made from pot metal, a die cast aluminum zink alloy. The upper and lower tangs are very week and can tolerate little side pressure without breaking. This is not an uncommon occurrence with these rifles. I am sorry if that truth bothers you. I guess what you would rather hear that the RF henry is an indestructible tank and the best there is and you refuse to hear anything else.
In contrast to the pot metal henry rf rifle I have to compare a model 39 Marlin a 22 rf rifle made from steel and wood. Take the time to give each an honest evaluation and with an open unbiased mind decide if on seem to be of better quality and value that the other.
The Marlin model 39 has been with us for many decade and I have never seen or heard of one having a broken tang. Probably because the Marlin tangs are made from steel and not pot metal.
Perhaps the henry company has some qualities to be commended but their rf rifles leave much to be desired when compared to the Marlin as some folks have done in this thread, "" looks just like a Marlin"""
Facts can not intelligently be disputed. Opinions are based on perceptions weather factual or otherwise. I am not now nor have I ever been persuaded by popular opinion based on non factual perceptions. I am and always have been willing to stand alone on the facts and to base my opinion on the facts regardless of popular opinion. Regardless of what seems popular opinion on the Henry RF rifles the fact is they are made from pot metal and pot metal is a poor substitute for steel in gun making, FACT.
Now if we can get back to your personal attack on me. Again I reiterate that you have been handed the means by a simple phone call to prove or to disprove my claim, a simple matter. Please make the call and if you are justified in calling me a liar I will apologies to the entire membership at castboolits. If on the other hand you get confirmation that I have related truth in sharing this mans experience with the Henry company then I will expect an apology from you for the name calling. Again I must say that I do not expect to ever get that apology since that would be a display of maturity and wisdom which I have not yet seen from you in this exchange. What I actually expect to see is more of the same that has been.

You continue to miss my point. and continue to behave really badly. I have no intention of playing your silly game and calling a guy who knows a guy. That proves nothing, contrary to your claim, your comments prove nothing other than your willingness to disrupt of thread. You are trying to turn this into a Marlin vs Henry discussion and twist this to justify your rude and inappropriate entry into this thread. It would be very easy to sink to your level and find all the info bashing Marlin, and there's plenty of it available, but that's not the point. Even though you seem to think it is.

Trying to turn the tables is another nice trick of manipulation on your part, however I'm not getting sucked into your gutter with you. I find you obnoxious and unbearable, that is the problem I had and continue to have with you. You continue to display a lack of judgement and maturity in any of your comments, although you try to twist the events and blame that on me.

Another potentially good thread on Cast Boolit destroyed by an old timer here. What a shame this forum has come to this.

357shooter
02-21-2014, 07:16 AM
OK since the Henry company has confirmed what I have said to be true then Mr. 357magnum are you going to man up and give an apology as Mr. jmortimer has done?
You know its the right thing to do!

You have no concept of the right thing to do is or what manning up is.

357shooter
02-21-2014, 07:37 AM
357shooter

FYI, I did not call you a liar, I call you an idiot. While not the best move, they are two different things. My point is that what you posted simply doesn't matter. It's irrelevant and adds nothing, except to this twisted thread you've now turned into a Henry vs Marlin discussion. So some guy had a tang problem, I don't care. Now do you get it. IT DOES NOT MATTER!!!!! Get it now?

I made the original post about the great servie from Henry, and how satisfied I am with the 357 BB. Apparently according you to I should not be so satisified because someone had a problem with an entirely different gun, however I do not make decisions based on your comments and feedback. I continue to have be satisfied with a first class company and am enjoying shooting with the 357.

357shooter
02-21-2014, 07:39 AM
A little earned respect on this one, at least from here. I can't say one way or the other about the henrys, but I have to think Dan pretty much knows what he is about.

I also have a hard time calling a man a liar, unless it is something I am 100% positive, and I barely met Dan only once. He may be getting a little long in the tooth, and not real big, but I would hate to call him one to his face. lol

For the record, I did not call Bullshop a liar, even though he claims that I did. Read the posts, he continues to twist things to suit his own discussion.

357shooter
02-21-2014, 08:00 AM
BTW, the 357 reciever and the other Big Boy recievers are made of brass. Just sayin'... :grin::grin::grin:

The 30-30 is available with a brass reciever too. Unlike the Brass covers on the 22's, these are a solid brass receiver. Makes for a very smooth action and a great feel to them. They come with a front bead site too. The 30-30 is also available with a steel reciever, like the 45-70. Per the Henry site.

Still lovin' the rifle despite the misdirection provided in some of the posts.

terk
02-21-2014, 09:18 AM
BTW, the 357 reciever and the other Big Boy recievers are made of brass. Just sayin'... :grin::grin::grin:

The 30-30 is available with a brass reciever too. Unlike the Brass covers on the 22's, these are a solid brass receiver. Makes for a very smooth action and a great feel to them. They come with a front bead site too. The 30-30 is also available with a steel reciever, like the 45-70. Per the Henry site.

Still lovin' the rifle despite the misdirection provided in some of the posts.

Since we are talking Big Boys, here's a page from the Henry 2012 catalog that supports what .357 has said. There's some description of the hardened brass receiver, and also see description of the twist rates on the .44 and the .357.

357shooter
02-21-2014, 09:22 AM

Since we are talking Big Boys, here's a page from the Henry 2012 catalog that supports what .357 has said. There's some description of the hardened brass receiver, and also see description of the twist rates on the .44 and the .357.

Thanks. Note the twist is listed for the 44 mag only, which is a 1:38rh twist. It's silent on the 357 and 45 colt. My 357 measures as a 16 inch twist, which I confirmed on the Henry forum that's what all the 357's have.

I think the 45 Colt is a 16 inch twist too, but I haven't confirmed that.

terk
02-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks. Note the twist is listed for the 44 mag only, which is a 1:38rh twist. It's silent on the 357 and 45 colt. My 357 measures as a 16 inch twist, which I confirmed on the Henry forum that's what all the 357's have.

I think the 45 Colt is a 16 inch twist too, but I haven't confirmed that.

Look at the square in the lower right hand side of the page. It says: Rate of twist: .44 Mag &.45 Colt = 1:38, .357 Mag = 1:16

357shooter
02-21-2014, 09:54 AM
Look at the square in the lower right hand side of the page. It says: Rate of twist: .44 Mag &.45 Colt = 1:38, .357 Mag = 1:16
Thanks, I never noticed that! So the 45 Colt is a 38 twist like the 44, only the 357 has a 1:16 twist. It says it plain as day.

I was looking at: http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-big-boy.cfm and not the catalog. My bad.

terk
02-21-2014, 09:58 AM
The other interesting thing that this mentions in RED print is that, "Hardened brass receivers have the same tensile and yield strength as steel." I had read this in a review where someone discussed the type of brass with the Henry tech people.

357shooter
02-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Good point. In the text it mentions the brass bead front sight too.

60 posts gone by and we are back on topic. Cool!!! :Fire::Fire::Fire:

Bullshop
02-21-2014, 10:19 AM
OUCH!!!!
Truly sorry I have gotten under your skin Mr 357shooter by relating my one and only experience with the Henry Golden Boy rifle and the company.
Some folks just wont ever be able to get along because just by there mannerisms are abrasive to each other.
By now with so many changes having been made to the original text in this thread its becoming very hard to follow and understand.
Mr Mortimer another participant in the discussion at least had the fortitude to call the Henry company and confirm what I have related to be true and then continued to display his upright character by apologizing for the personal attack on my character and admitting he was wrong.
I have not tried to nor did I ever think I could change your opinion on your purchase. What I did was relate my experience with one Henry rifle and my dealings with the company.
I have tried to do it in a way that was not insulting to anyone and without attacking anyone's character, although that has been quite a struggle at times. I am the father of 9 children 8 still at home so I have learned in teaching my children to put things as simple as possible and as kindly as I can so they will hopefully learn from my experience and not go off in a tangent and learn nothing from it.
In that I have failed here for which I am sorry.
It is a very enjoyable and rewarding position to be in to have only good feedback and zero bad on something a person owns and enjoys. That one single negative ruins an otherwise perfect perception weather real or imagined. I am sorry I took that from you but I felt that being a contributing member of this forum for so long that I owed it to the rest of the membership to at least point out that there is a possible flaw in the design/construction/material of the rifle of which I spoke and that in my one experience in dealing with the company to try and correct the problem it was not exactly a positive exchange.
For some odd reason my mind goes to the Titanic a ship said to be unsinkable. All members on board felt quite comfortable with that fantasy until that comfort was shattered by truth and reality.
What I have related with my input on my experience with both the Henry company and the golden boy 22 magnum rifle built by them are the same, truth and reality the same type of truth and reality that went to the bottom of the north Atlantic back in 1912 with all those poor folks that trusted in that bubble of fantasy.
It has been an interesting and enlightening exchange here but I can see that my experience is not welcome nor wanted so I will exit this thread from here. All the best and I do hope that reality never rears its ugly head for you or other owners of the type of Henry rifles of which I spoke.

terk
02-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Does anyone know if the scope mount hole spacing on the centerfire Henry is the same as Marlin? Was looking at their .45-70 today and it looked just like Marlin, which would be very convenient.

That I don't know. What I do know is that Henry sells a scope mount made for the Big Boys for $27.50. I bought one to mount a scope for my BB .357. Fits like it was made for the gun (cause it was) and is solid.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/st-scope-mount.cfm

northmn
02-21-2014, 12:45 PM
I have a Henry 22 mag lever, have had a Rossi and own several Marlins and have used Winchester 94's. Of the ones that I have used the Rossi is at the very bottom of my list. The Henry was ready to shoot out of the box with no problems and functions. My Marlin 94 in 32-20 was ready to go out of the box, I had to change the sight on the Rossi, and do a bit of wood work to get the thing to pattern. Read the threads on Rossi's and you will see comments by others on these issues. I do wish my Henry was drilled for a receiver sight but they do sell one to mount on the dovetails.
Nothing has been said about the Henry that turns me against them. A Marlin 39 might be a better rifle, but try to get one for a reasonable price. They are not even on the shelves locally. Same for the Winchesters. As to the larger bores, read the comments on the Remlins. I handled the Henry 30-30 and would not hesitate to buy one. I would bet it shoots out of the box. In the end that is what I judge a rifle on. Getting run over by a bulldozer or some such accident does not qualify as a real standard. A manufactureer will not stand behind such accidents and has standards of repair. A gunsmith may be able to fix the rifle back to where it is as usable as it once was, but it may not meet the standards set by a manufacturer who does not want a substandard example of their output around.

DP

FergusonTO35
02-21-2014, 11:08 PM
I must admit that I don't like the zamak (zinc-copper-aluminum alloy) receiver of my Henry H001T. I love everything else about it though, especially the $300.00 I paid for it. If Marlin made the 39 with octagonal barrel and straight stock I would have bought one but they don't.

Slow Elk 45/70
02-22-2014, 05:25 AM
Well , this thread was very lively , some thin skin and unnecessary use of strong language out there that we don't usually see used , on this site anyway. As for the Henry Tangs on the weapon in question, Yup it's cast....other module are brass or steel or some mix of stronger alloy....IMHO for what it's worth I'm one of those long of tooth fellers ...[smilie=1:
Semper Fi Jim

terk
02-22-2014, 08:23 AM
Well , this thread was very lively , some thin skin and unnecessary use of strong language out there that we don't usually see used , on this site anyway. As for the Henry Tangs on the weapon in question, Yup it's cast....other module are brass or steel or some mix of stronger alloy....IMHO for what it's worth I'm one of those long of tooth fellers ...[smilie=1:
Semper Fi Jim

I'm new to this site, but not new to this world or other guns & fishing sites.

That said, I have to wonder, if someone starts a thread here with something positive (and true) to say about a particular Marlin, Winchester, Rossi or whatever, is it to be expected that someone else will come in and trash the thread with their own or second-hand negative views about a different model?

My guess is..yes. "My dog's better than your dog" is as old as the hills.

My view is the best thing is to just ignore those folks if they are not adding to the discussion. Don't encourage them by responding. Don't go away mad, just go away should be the message.

dubber123
02-22-2014, 09:52 AM
I'm new to this site, but not new to this world or other guns & fishing sites.

That said, I have to wonder, if someone starts a thread here with something positive (and true) to say about a particular Marlin, Winchester, Rossi or whatever, is it to be expected that someone else will come in and trash the thread with their own or second-hand negative views about a different model?

My guess is..yes. "My dog's better than your dog" is as old as the hills.

My view is the best thing is to just ignore those folks if they are not adding to the discussion. Don't encourage them by responding. Don't go away mad, just go away should be the message.

It never hurts to listen to both sides. Many gun owners are totally ignorant about the materials or means of manufacture of their guns, and sometimes those things need to be pointed out by others. I have had MANY a Henry owner tell me the receiver on their rimfire models is "brass". No, it's not. It's cast, with a cast plated cover to look like brass to the untrained eye. One reason the actions are smooth is the bolt slides in a plastic sleeve. I'm not bashing, it all comes together to make a smooth functioning, inexpensive American made rifle. Denying what and how they are made won't make them better.

northmn
02-22-2014, 12:01 PM
I ahve seen coment about different guns on different forums. Sometimes the issues are dependent on use. I have a O/U shotgun that is pleasant to carry and works fine and also a SXS. Where they get bashed is by trap or skeet shooters that shoot over 100 rounds a week or so and claim they do not stand up. So far my hunting experiences do not include that level of shooting. $1,500 guns and more are better made, the top grade rifles are starting to run around $1,000 in a bolt action and so forth. Yet those of use that buy the less expensive guns are often content with them. Big thing is matching the use to the price.

DP

357shooter
02-22-2014, 03:45 PM
The Big Boy series does have the all brass recievers, along with one of the 30-30's. They are very nice rifles, and at a different price point than the rimfires. For some reason folks seem to want to judge the entire product line by the lower priced models, or at least only discuss the rimfires. Go figure.

I really started the thread about the great customer service I recieved from Henry. They best I've experienced. I guess a cast tang on a 22 at 1/2 the cost is more interesting.

merlin101
02-22-2014, 08:42 PM
The Big Boy series does have the all brass recievers, along with one of the 30-30's. They are very nice rifles, and at a different price point than the rimfires. For some reason folks seem to want to judge the entire product line by the lower priced models, or at least only discuss the rimfires. Go figure.

I really started the thread about the great customer service I recieved from Henry. They best I've experienced. I guess a cast tang on a 22 at 1/2 the cost is more interesting.

I've read this lively thread mostly cause I'm looking for a .357 lever. I hadn't really considered the Henry because of the heavy barrel, but now I thinking!
Saying that all guns from one company are weak junk is kinda like saying You'd never own a Chevy cause the Vega/Citation/ect broke down and left ya stranded!

Bullshop, did you and the gun owner REALLY THINK that any manufacter would stand behind a claim like that? And the parts, I wouldn't have sold them to you or him just for the liabilty! Not all things SHOULD be repaired even you can 'repair' them.

ValorsMinion
02-23-2014, 01:22 PM
I wish they had a side loading gate. If they did I would own at least one. I am not a fan of having to load a tube magazine from the muzzle.

jmort
02-23-2014, 02:58 PM
I would like to see a loading gate, but you can single load in an emergency.

357shooter
02-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Loading the tube from the front takes some getting used to, I'm good with it now. I used to load the 454 Rossi from the front sometimes too.

Bullshop Junior
02-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Loading the tube from the front takes some getting used to, I'm good with it now. I used to load the 454 Rossi from the front sometimes too.

I have the Rossi 454 and I usually load from the gate. The tube is nice for unloading.

TXGunNut
02-24-2014, 01:06 AM
I wish they had a side loading gate. If they did I would own at least one. I am not a fan of having to load a tube magazine from the muzzle.

I think that's what keeps me from getting too interested in the Henry.

357shooter
02-24-2014, 05:53 AM
I have the Rossi 454 and I usually load from the gate. The tube is nice for unloading.

Very true.

enoch59
02-24-2014, 11:17 AM
I think that's what keeps me from getting too interested in the Henry.
Crud ! I have followed this thread through to the end and was extremely excited to read that I had an option to getting a used Marlin in .357 for an ungodly amount of money that I just don't have. Although I did just sell my 44CL for a tidy sum and if I hang in there long enough I might just find a Marlin for that amount of money. I don't own a horse so I'm not worried about having my rifle crack in half.:grin: I am very much interested in reading about each persons positive and negative experiences with their Henry's regarding the .357 and all things based on the company's reputation. I also like to work on my own guns and that alone has been one of the main reasons why I have always liked Marlins. Tube feeding my cartridges is definitely a negative to me but not one that can't be overcome. Buying American from a company that stands behind its products is paramount to me. I'm sick and tired of junk. I had a Henry .357 in my hand not less than 30 days ago for under $700. Is that a deal ? I have been frothing at the bit to get a .357 ever since my Rossi bit the dust a few years back and I had to sell it. Guys, please help me out with the pro's and con's of this product. I would love to go to town this morning and buy one. Final comment, Jesus said in the final days the love of many would grow cold. It has been demonstrated by a few in this thread. It sickens me to read the arrogance of some who just want to fight to prove a point. What ever happened to: "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything." We can persue the truth ( and we should ) without being disrespectful to one another. If you own a Henry or if you have owned a Henry then please chime in to my request. If your friends brothers second cousin once owned one the please don't. I'm interested in first hand stuff. Thank you, Enoch.

terk
02-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Crud ! I have followed this thread through to the end and was extremely excited to read that I had an option to getting a used Marlin in .357 for an ungodly amount of money that I just don't have. Although I did just sell my 44CL for a tidy sum and if I hang in there long enough I might just find a Marlin for that amount of money. I don't own a horse so I'm not worried about having my rifle crack in half.:grin: I am very much interested in reading about each persons positive and negative experiences with their Henry's regarding the .357 and all things based on the company's reputation. I also like to work on my own guns and that alone has been one of the main reasons why I have always liked Marlins. Tube feeding my cartridges is definitely a negative to me but not one that can't be overcome. Buying American from a company that stands behind its products is paramount to me. I'm sick and tired of junk. I had a Henry .357 in my hand not less than 30 days ago for under $700. Is that a deal ? I have been frothing at the bit to get a .357 ever since my Rossi bit the dust a few years back and I had to sell it. Guys, please help me out with the pro's and con's of this product. I would love to go to town this morning and buy one. Final comment, Jesus said in the final days the love of many would grow cold. It has been demonstrated by a few in this thread. It sickens me to read the arrogance of some who just want to fight to prove a point. What ever happened to: "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything." We can persue the truth ( and we should ) without being disrespectful to one another. If you own a Henry or if you have owned a Henry then please chime in to my request. If your friends brothers second cousin once owned one the please don't. I'm interested in first hand stuff. Thank you, Enoch.

I'll be glad to tell you what I know of my experience owning and shooting a Henry .357 Big Boy. I have no experience with other leverguns.

Bought it about 3 months ago because I liked the idea of having a rifle I could shoot the same bullets I reload for my 3 revolvers (if they made a 9mm Henry, I'd buy that, too!).

Paid around $725 for it, so under $700 sounds pretty good to me.

The pluses: Well made, good fit and finish, all the action worked smoothly from the time I handled it in the store and, now, several hundred rounds later, it is even smoother.

There's a video on the Henry website to disassemble down to a pile of parts. Haven't done it yet, but it looks no harder than taking apart a Glock, and the parts are bigger.

Very accurate: I've found about 4 reloads that will shoot 1/2" to 3/4" at 50 yards. From plinking lead cast loads under 900 fps to near 2000 fps jacketed XTPs.

A couple tradeoffs that don't rise to the point of being negatives: it's heavier than some other levers, but that makes it very steady on target for offhand shooting. I expect the heavy barrel has something to do with the fine accuracy as well.

As to the brass, I can take it or leave it. It is pretty, but I would be as happy with stainless steel or a blued steel. I bought the rifle to shoot, and it will not be babied, so the brass is going to get a bit worn over time.

I thought I would like a loading gate option, but now I'm not so sure. I have learned to load the tube pretty quickly with ten bullets, and occasionally feed a single shot when doing load tests. It seems to me if I use it for hunting, I'd likely load it once for the day, so it really doesn't matter. I've heard some people complain of the difficulty of loading some levers with hard springs in the loading gate, so I guess it may be a trade-off.

And customer service. Saved the best for last. I've called 3 times, and got a person speaking English on the phone who knew what they were talking about and helped me on the spot. Having been around the block a few times with cars, trucks, appliances, whatever, I have come to appreciate service after the sale.

One other thing - accessories like scope mounts or replacement parts are on the website and reasonably priced.

enoch59
02-24-2014, 05:25 PM
I'll be glad to tell you what I know of my experience owning and shooting a Henry .357 Big Boy. I have no experience with other leverguns.

Bought it about 3 months ago because I liked the idea of having a rifle I could shoot the same bullets I reload for my 3 revolvers (if they made a 9mm Henry, I'd buy that, too!).

Paid around $725 for it, so under $700 sounds pretty good to me.

The pluses: Well made, good fit and finish, all the action worked smoothly from the time I handled it in the store and, now, several hundred rounds later, it is even smoother.

There's a video on the Henry website to disassemble down to a pile of parts. Haven't done it yet, but it looks no harder than taking apart a Glock, and the parts are bigger.

Very accurate: I've found about 4 reloads that will shoot 1/2" to 3/4" at 50 yards. From plinking lead cast loads under 900 fps to near 2000 fps jacketed XTPs.

A couple tradeoffs that don't rise to the point of being negatives: it's heavier than some other levers, but that makes it very steady on target for offhand shooting. I expect the heavy barrel has something to do with the fine accuracy as well.

As to the brass, I can take it or leave it. It is pretty, but I would be as happy with stainless steel or a blued steel. I bought the rifle to shoot, and it will not be babied, so the brass is going to get a bit worn over time.

I thought I would like a loading gate option, but now I'm not so sure. I have learned to load the tube pretty quickly with ten bullets, and occasionally feed a single shot when doing load tests. It seems to me if I use it for hunting, I'd likely load it once for the day, so it really doesn't matter. I've heard some people complain of the difficulty of loading some levers with hard springs in the loading gate, so I guess it may be a trade-off.

And customer service. Saved the best for last. I've called 3 times, and got a person speaking English on the phone who knew what they were talking about and helped me on the spot. Having been around the block a few times with cars, trucks, appliances, whatever, I have come to appreciate service after the sale.

One other thing - accessories like scope mounts or replacement parts are on the website and reasonably priced.

Terk, now that's what I'm talking about. You are very kind to share this wonderful info to me and right on point. I will share something with you. I have a perfect load in .357 that has been just a slam dunk for hunting and or target shooting/popping tin cans etc. It calls for 7.8 grs. Power Pistol with a 158 gr. SWC on top of it. The very best accuracy I've found is with a 158 gr. Gold Dot but even Cast bullets slam the mark with this loading. This load is within safe operation of every lever I've shot as well as pistols. If you haven't used Power Pistol before it's very smooth much like Vit N340 without paying the price. Thank you very much, Enoch.

johnme
02-24-2014, 06:44 PM
I bought the big boy in 357 and found it in Montana on vac. 699.00 no tax ! Went to see my Brother-in law at is 20 acre piece of land that backs up to the National
Park 40 miles from Canada. That Henry and I sat with a cup of coffee in the morning and a set of by-pods and prairie dog hunted :) What fun ! Everyone had to see that beautiful Henry. I think 30-30 will be next.

357shooter
02-24-2014, 09:42 PM
Terk, now that's what I'm talking about. You are very kind to share this wonderful info to me and right on point. I will share something with you. I have a perfect load in .357 that has been just a slam dunk for hunting and or target shooting/popping tin cans etc. It calls for 7.8 grs. Power Pistol with a 158 gr. SWC on top of it. The very best accuracy I've found is with a 158 gr. Gold Dot but even Cast bullets slam the mark with this loading. This load is within safe operation of every lever I've shot as well as pistols. If you haven't used Power Pistol before it's very smooth much like Vit N340 without paying the price. Thank you very much, Enoch.

Thanks for that load. I haven't tried Power Pistol in several years, is sounds like time to give it a try again. Just have to find it on the shelves. Quickload puts the Lee 158 RF at 1507 FPS out of the 20 inch barrel at only 23k PSI.

I've owned several Rossi 357's and 454's, along with a Browning BLR and other Savage rifle's (bolts). A wide range of quality and price points. The Henry is a solid feeling gun and right up there with the best I've owned, and the octagon barrel is heavier than a round barrel, . That makes for some smooth shooting. I prefer the brass reciever and think it may help with the smoothness right out of the box. When it is dirty and gets some swirls or scracthes it polishes right up with Flitz.

There are a few main lines of lever rifles. The Big Boys are all brass receivers with octagon 20 inch barrels and handgun calibers of 44, 45 colt or 357. The 30-30 comes with either a brass receiver and octagon barrel or steel receiver with a round barrel, it's a little lighter. The 45-70 is a steel/round setup, with "rumors" of a brass receiver/octagon version coming.

Then there are the rimfires, which is what much of this thread talked about. There seem to be a bunch of different versions, with the round barrel / steel version that can be had for less than $300 from Buds. The rimfire line is the only line that has zamak used in it's construction. Including the Golden Boy that has a brass cover over the receiver. The vary widely in price depending on on the specific model. A octagon model with brass I'm sure is a lot higher in price than the $300 model. There are 22 mag and 17 HMR versions too.

There are a few other speciality rifles too.

Unfortuneately I had to use their customer service, my own fault. They just blew me away with their great service, per my original post.

357shooter
02-24-2014, 09:46 PM
I bought the big boy in 357 and found it in Montana on vac. 699.00 no tax ! Went to see my Brother-in law at is 20 acre piece of land that backs up to the National
Park 40 miles from Canada. That Henry and I sat with a cup of coffee in the morning and a set of by-pods and prairie dog hunted :) What fun ! Everyone had to see that beautiful Henry. I think 30-30 will be next.

Sweet! Any pics out shooting in Montana?

enoch59
02-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks for that load. I haven't tried Power Pistol in several years, is sounds like time to give it a try again. Just have to find it on the shelves. Quickload puts the Lee 158 RF at 1507 FPS out of the 20 inch barrel at only 23k PSI.

I've owned several Rossi 357's and 454's, along with a Browning BLR and other Savage rifle's (bolts). A wide range of quality and price points. The Henry is a solid feeling gun and right up there with the best I've owned, and the octagon barrel is heavier than a round barrel, . That makes for some smooth shooting. I prefer the brass reciever and think it may help with the smoothness right out of the box. When it is dirty and gets some swirls or scracthes it polishes right up with Flitz.

There are a few main lines of lever rifles. The Big Boys are all brass receivers with octagon 20 inch barrels and handgun calibers of 44, 45 colt or 357. The 30-30 comes with either a brass receiver and octagon barrel or steel receiver with a round barrel, it's a little lighter. The 45-70 is a steel/round setup, with "rumors" of a brass receiver/octagon version coming.

Then there are the rimfires, which is what much of this thread talked about. There seem to be a bunch of different versions, with the round barrel / steel version that can be had for less than $300 from Buds. The rimfire line is the only line that has zamak used in it's construction. Including the Golden Boy that has a brass cover over the receiver. The vary widely in price depending on on the specific model. A octagon model with brass I'm sure is a lot higher in price than the $300 model. There are 22 mag and 17 HMR versions too.

There are a few other speciality rifles too.

Unfortuneately I had to use their customer service, my own fault. They just blew me away with their great service, per my original post.

Thank you for another post 357 shooter. I was hoping that you would reply. From reading your other posts I could tell you were a person after my own heart. I have been waiting for almost three-four years for a Marlin '94 Cowboy Ltd. to show up. I was beginning to think that it was an impossibility until recently when three of them showed on the Marlin site in 30 days or so. I wasn't able to close the deal on them cause I had a 44 Cowboy Ltd. to trade and most wanted the cash. So I sold my 44 and now have the cash. Unfortunately my wife was just T-boned in a car accident (driver ran a red ) and totaled our Toyota Sienna van and my wife is really shook up. The insurance carrier of the other driver is going to try to screw us and so I might need this cash to help buy another vehicle for my wife. It's killing me cause there is a Golden Boy or Big Boy in town for $699 that I've already had in my hands once. This thread has me shaking I want to go buy that bad boy so much but I need to practice restraint. I feel like I'm being try ed in the fire so if it's meant to be the rifle will be there when all is said and done. If not then there is a different rifle out there with my name on it. Patience, isn't it grand ?

terk
02-25-2014, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the load data. I wish I could find some Power Pistol around here! Been getting by okay with AA5, HP38, Titegroup, 2400, H110 and a little bit of Unique. Working to find powders that will give the best low pressure loads for the cast boolits. But the jacketed bullets I've tried love the 2400 and H110.

tygar
02-25-2014, 10:18 AM
In a little over a week I get my Big Boy back, with a brand new barrel, and the Skinner sight installed. It was all done flawlessly. All with no charge, not even shipping cost to me. What a first class company. It's a pleasure to shoot the rifle, it's a real joy to deal with a first rate company like Henry.

Thank you Henry!!! :grin::grin::grin:

I am really impressed with what I have heard about Henry's & their service. I may just get one to say thanks for being a good old fashioned American company.

enoch59
02-26-2014, 02:55 AM
I'm heading out tomorrow morning to get the Big Boy 357. The store opens at 9am and I'll be there in the parking lot waiting at 8:45 for the doors to open. I'm almost giddy like a kid that's been waiting to buy a toy that he's wanted for a long time. At 60 y/o a man doesn't get that feeling much any more and I'm enjoying it immensely. Thank you all for the information. I really appreciate this site and its' members ( for the most part anyway ).

357shooter
02-26-2014, 07:02 AM
Sorry about the car and the scare you wife had to go through. That can mess up cash flow in a big way. Yeah, patience is not a strong suite for most folks, I'm kinda short on it myself.

I get the 60 year old - giddy thing since I'm the same age. Good luck this morning and looking forward to hearing back from you.

FergusonTO35
02-26-2014, 01:55 PM
If Henry brings out a .357 with blued receiver like the .30-30 I would be very tempted. The shiny brass is a deal breaker for me.

enoch59
02-27-2014, 07:51 AM
If Henry brings out a .357 with blued receiver like the .30-30 I would be very tempted. The shiny brass is a deal breaker for me.
I'd hate to be the one to tempt you but... www.henryrepeating.com/henry-rifles.cfm . I'm toying with the idea of doing this with my new Henry :
http://www.turnbullmfg.com/store.asp?pid=20788. No, not turning it into a .475 but color case hardening all the shiny brass. I have every intention of hunting my new rifle until I drop dead with it in my hands and I'm not a fan of shiny anything. Besides I scratch up just about anything that I use and those scratches will show up big time on that brass but not so if it's color case hardened. What do you guys think ?

FergusonTO35
02-27-2014, 10:05 AM
I just saw the brass receiver .357 on the website. Have they come out with a blue receiver and its just not shown perhaps? I guess the brass receiver really isn't a total deal breaker, I just wouldn't pay full price for it. I just sold one of my .30-30's so another Henry might be in my future!

jmort
02-27-2014, 10:28 AM
They have "blue" all steel .30-30 and .45-70 that look really nice and are lighter.

357shooter
02-27-2014, 11:14 AM
The 357, 45 and 44 are the Big Boy series and have all brass receivers. There is no blue option with them. It gets talked about, maybe they will come out with them.

Some of the other rifles include:

The 30-30 comes two ways. 1 - brass receiver / octagon barrel or 2 - blue receiver / round barrel (agree w/jmortimer)

The 45/70 only comes with a blue receiver and round barrel (also agree w/jmortimer). This is supposed to come out in a brass receiver octagon configuration, but there's no date that I'm aware of.

The brass receiver does get scratched, a little flitz polishes it right up. Not everyone likes the shiny brass though.

enoch59
02-27-2014, 10:40 PM
I just got back from the range with Henry in tow. Getting used to loading via the tube is going to take awhile but it's doable. What is a real problem to me is I can't seem to find complete takedown instructions. There is a company selling a DVD for $15 or so but I'd really be upset if the takedown is the same as my Marlins which I am pretty sure it is. I just want to inspect all the parts to make sure they can take a diet of full power loads day in and day out. I know the rifle takes recoil to a whole new level of non-existence. I mean all of my 38+P loads and mild 357 loads were absolutely BORING ! I will have to shoot those loads out of my GP100. The load I published with a 158 gr.SWC and 7.8gr. Power Pistol is even mild out of this rifle. Max loading is 8.0gr of Power Pistol so this rifle just tames the meanest of 357 loads period. I had my wife shoot a volley of five rounds at a target 25 yards away and she just flat enjoyed it and she's not a gun girl but she will take her buck this year with it. I have taken the bolt out and the ejector and the rifle did need some initial cleaning. I also had to take out a burr on the ejector that would have scratched up my brass had I not. The barrel was really dirty but cleaned up after about twenty minutes of scrubbing. Have any of you taken this bad boy down to the screws ? If so was it just like any 1894 takedown ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Enoch.

enoch59
02-28-2014, 01:44 AM
I just finished stripping my Henry 357 down to the screws with practically no problems. Same as an 1894 Marlin except better parts and a little more innovation. I'm very happy with what I found inside. I will be adding a few small things and taking away same but for the most part YES ! This rifle was built to last.

357shooter
02-28-2014, 06:03 AM
Cool! Great report back on the new rifle. I think you've torn it down further than I have, I know you have.

Yeah, my wife can shoot full house magnum loads just fine. That's on the advantage side of the weight of the octagon barrel, and the fact it's all up front. Somehow it still feels balanced, at least to me it does.

Note: I tried a couple of polishes on the brass and found Flitz to work the easiest and best. The wadding they refer to is a lot tougher to deal with and didn't produce the results like Flitz.

FergusonTO35
03-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Examined a Big Boy at the fun store yesterday. Great quality and feel but just too thick and heavy for toting through the woods, it feels heavier than my 1895.

enoch59
03-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Examined a Big Boy at the fun store yesterday. Great quality and feel but just too thick and heavy for toting through the woods, it feels heavier than my 1895.
It is heavy for sure. I'm checking out different sling variations at the moment. I'm thinking about a safari sling. Have any of you folks used one or what do you use ? I definitely want to sling this bad boy and get some of its' weight onto my shoulders.

Flinchrock
03-06-2014, 06:01 AM
I just brought a new Big Boy in .45 Colt home. I cleaned and dried the bore and checked everything out, as one would do with a new rifle.

I have some lightly loaded rounds that my girlfriend likes to shoot through my Blackhawk (8.1 Herco under a 255 lswc). I didn't have a lot of time but I loaded five rounds and tried it out.

At 25 yds offhand I was shooting the blossoms off of the weeds growing on the backstop, all five!

Action was very smooth and recoil was pretty much non-existant with that load and it balanced an handled fine, for me. I REALLY like this rifle, I bought it for fun shooting but I am sure it will be just fine for brush hunting for deer and piggies with proper loads.

I am very much looking forward to getting more range time with this rifle. I have the 550b set up and I am casting away with might and main...

As far as customer service goes, if I need any, I'll let you know how it works out, but I think it might be a long time before I need any.

pirkfan
03-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Henry has videos of complete disassembly and reassembly on their website.

I just got back from the range with Henry in tow. Getting used to loading via the tube is going to take awhile but it's doable. What is a real problem to me is I can't seem to find complete takedown instructions. There is a company selling a DVD for $15 or so but I'd really be upset if the takedown is the same as my Marlins which I am pretty sure it is. I just want to inspect all the parts to make sure they can take a diet of full power loads day in and day out. I know the rifle takes recoil to a whole new level of non-existence. I mean all of my 38+P loads and mild 357 loads were absolutely BORING ! I will have to shoot those loads out of my GP100. The load I published with a 158 gr.SWC and 7.8gr. Power Pistol is even mild out of this rifle. Max loading is 8.0gr of Power Pistol so this rifle just tames the meanest of 357 loads period. I had my wife shoot a volley of five rounds at a target 25 yards away and she just flat enjoyed it and she's not a gun girl but she will take her buck this year with it. I have taken the bolt out and the ejector and the rifle did need some initial cleaning. I also had to take out a burr on the ejector that would have scratched up my brass had I not. The barrel was really dirty but cleaned up after about twenty minutes of scrubbing. Have any of you taken this bad boy down to the screws ? If so was it just like any 1894 takedown ? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Enoch.

FergusonTO35
03-07-2014, 09:07 PM
I like the heavy octagonal barrel, that is what sold me on the H001T. Now if they could just bring out a slimmer steel receiver I would buy a Henry .357.