PDA

View Full Version : Here's a new bore coat product

PatMarlin
12-16-2007, 01:42 PM
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=145

Wonder what it would do for lead? Kinda pricey.

felix
12-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Pat, it looks like we need a tester. ... felix

DLCTEX
12-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Be interesting for some members to try it and report back. LOL Dale

PatMarlin
12-16-2007, 02:49 PM
What if we all pitch in and buy some for one of us to report on? Someone with more time than me right now.. :mrgreen:

Wonder how many bores it will do?

I could contact the mfg and negotiate for free a trial bottle.. :Fire:

Ricochet
12-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Wonder how it compares to coating a bore with Bull Shop Sprue Plate Lube?

Blammer
12-16-2007, 03:32 PM
In handguns Ultra Bore Coat does for handgun bores what it does for rifles. It also makes lead fouling much easier and faster to clean. It also allows the shooter to run lead and jacketed bullets interchangeably.

that's what the literature says. There are a few reputable people who have and or are testing it now. Find out and ask em...

NVcurmudgeon
12-16-2007, 04:01 PM
In handguns Ultra Bore Coat does for handgun bores what it does for rifles. It also makes lead fouling much easier and faster to clean. It also allows the shooter to run lead and jacketed bullets interchangeably.

that's what the literature says. There are a few reputable people who have and or are testing it now. Find out and ask em...

Harumph! I don't allow leading in my guns.

Three44s
12-16-2007, 04:29 PM
I clicked on reviews and there are none ...... I find that odd as it's been available since mid-summer.

Spending $45 is one thing ...... if things went south ....... changing barrels would be quite another.

I used to use a product called Bore Cote ..... I bought it from Ballistic Products ........ I liked it but can't get anymore ...... but it was not touted as a life of the barrel product such as this material is.

This product is said to be the closest thing to the original Bore Cote:

http://www.mpclubricants.com/products-military-fp10.php

Three 44s

pa_guns
12-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi

At the price I think I would *very* much like for somebody else to try it first :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Bob

crabo
12-16-2007, 05:33 PM
I use Tetra Gun Fluoropolymer bore conditioner. I clean my bore after I firelap a barrel. Then I take my heatgun and get the barrel hot to touch. Then I soak a new bore mop and run it back and forth for about 100 passes. The barrels really seem to stay clean and shiny after hundreds of high velocity cast rounds. I actually got the proceedure from Veral Smith. I like the way I don't need to clean the barrel after shooting.

Crabo

pa_guns
12-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Hi

The risk with any of this stuff is that you hit the combination that does *not* work. Powder A + solvent B + bullet Lube C + barrel shiner D = long term problem. There are simply to many combinations for anybody to try them all out.

Bob

trk
12-16-2007, 06:27 PM
I'd like to see the MSDS sheet on it - what's in it that a) makes it so good and b) could hurt ME.

S.R.Custom
12-16-2007, 07:21 PM
+1 on that... I'll have to know what it is before I try it.

MtGun44
12-16-2007, 11:30 PM
My snake oil detector has all the red lights lit. Let me know how it affects
your wallet. [smilie=1:

Bill

pa_guns
12-17-2007, 09:02 AM
My snake oil detector has all the red lights lit. Let me know how it affects
your wallet. [smilie=1:

Bill

Hi

It's pretty expensive isn't it? I think they might do better selling 1/10th the product for 1/4th the price. Even their "solvent" sounds like nasty stuff.

If it's just water in a bottle then at least you have only lost the $45. If it's something complicated you might loose a barrel ...

Bob

dromia
12-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Not being the brightest tool in the box I like to keep things simple, to me less is more.

Perfection isn't when there's nothing left to add but when there's nothing left to take away.

Still can't knock a chap for trying to make a living.

I sometimes ponder on how our predecessors managed to survive at all without all these wonder products and modern marketing methods.

pa_guns
12-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Hi

The stuff *may* work exactly as claimed. If so, the guy really has something here. At this point there's no way to know if it's junk or real. There's also not much on the site about how far the $45 worth of stuff goes.

Not enough data ....

Bob

wiljen
12-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Is this sounding a little like what Molybdenum was purported to do?

I would venture a guess that the MSDS sheet is gonna list Tungsten Disulfide in an alcohol or petroleum base. That would create a nice lubricating coat at .25 um or less as it advertises and would explain the "Ground shipping only".

pa_guns
12-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Hi

... and how long did it take people to figure out Moly ...

Bob

S.R.Custom
12-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Went to their website, and sent the principals an email:

We are considering evaluating this product for use at our local department, but before we do, we need to have a MSDS. Can you supply that?

Will let you know what shakes out of the tree.

MtGun44
12-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Good plan, Supermag.

MSDS will tell you a lot.

Bill

pa_guns
12-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi

That of course *assumes* they have a real MSDS ...

Bob

S.R.Custom
12-17-2007, 10:28 PM
I dunno... how hazardous can snake-oil be? :mrgreen:

pa_guns
12-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Hi

The hazard generally comes when you decide to stop using the stuff. Having a barrel that is half coated can be a problem.

Bob