PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro-1000

tomme boy
02-15-2014, 02:40 AM
How the heck do you empty the spent primers without them getting all over the place?

Norbrat
02-15-2014, 03:00 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?107444-Homemade/page14 Post 272

Require drilling a hole through the bench/mount for the Pro 1000, but works well

Stonecrusher
02-15-2014, 08:55 PM
When I used to bolt mine to a mounting plate on the bench, I would put a couple pieces of tape across the bottom before mounting to hold in primers until I could get over the trash. If I had had it permanently mounted I would have drilled a hole through bench as well.

1bluehorse
02-15-2014, 11:38 PM
You can also mount the press on a couple blocks and bolt through them and the bench, (think mini strong mount) that way you have a bit (however large block you use) of space under the press so you can place a "catch container" under the press...

44Vaquero
02-16-2014, 12:46 AM
Here try this:

geargnasher
02-16-2014, 12:57 AM
If you don't want to drill your bench, unbolt the press from time to time and slide it forward with a small, lined trash can underneath. Just don't use a vacuum cleaner.

Gear

Sweetpea
02-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Gear, you say don't use the vacuum.

For the residue from the primers?

Personally, I have a central vacuum that is exhausted outside, so I would worry much less.

seagiant
02-16-2014, 02:57 AM
Hi,
Nice craftsmanship 44! That's "custom"!

tomme boy
02-16-2014, 03:04 AM
Yes, do not use a vacuum that is going to exhaust into the house. The primers are one of the main culprits of lead poisoning. If the motor is outside have at it. You have to have a Hepa type filter to run a vacuum in the house and it is still not advised. Tumblers should also have the media a little wet to keep dust down. Same thing as the primers.

44, I like that. Drilling a hole does not bother me one bit as the bench is made out of plywood. I just don't get it, what was the Lee people thinking???

44Vaquero
02-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Seagiant, it's a good thing funnels are cheap! LOL The 1st try did not look any where near as good as these photo's. But the concept is sound and works very well.

Tommy Boy, at the time Lee designed that press base state of the art primer collection consisted a snap on plastic cup (about 80% capture rate) or hit the floor (100% successful). So the thought of having to un-bolt the press from time to time was not considered a big deal.

seagiant
02-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Hi,
The best progressive reloader ever made in my opinion was the STAR Machine. I had three at one time. They were the same way,you had to unbolt every now and then to clear out the old primers from under the base! No big deal really!:Fire:

Mike Kerr
02-16-2014, 10:11 PM
44VAQUERO,

The setup you have is slick. Looks very custom. ++++

44Vaquero
02-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Mike Kerr,

As much as I would like to take credit for this mod/hack I got it off of another site. The Highroad is I remember correctly. Honestly, it took me 3 try's to all the cuts to fit right. I needed a drink after I was finished!

It is was item I would really like to see Lee start making. Sadly they are very reluctant to produce any mods not designed by themselves.

seagiant
02-17-2014, 04:02 AM
Mike Kerr,

As much as I would like to take credit for this mod/hack I got it off of another site. The Highroad is I remember correctly. Honestly, it took me 3 try's to all the cuts to fit right. I needed a drink after I was finished!

It is was item I would really like to see Lee start making. Sadly they are very reluctant to produce any mods not designed by themselves.

Hi,
This is where the Japanese excel over use! Everything here is politics instead of making a better product. My Kawasaki motorcycle model came out in 2008 and after listening to input from new owners was revamped with improvements in 2010!

Two years is VERY fast for improvements following suggestions by owners! My model is a 2012 and I love it! Glad I waited!

Mike Kerr
02-17-2014, 07:21 AM
seagiant,

That Kawasaki is beautiful, like most of your mechanical items. Methinks you just have a desire to have great looking mechanical things - Like so many of our fellow members. BTW the photo of the Star on the picnic table is great also but it makes me jealous, so I was not going to even mention it.

seagiant
02-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Hi Mike,
Thanks! I've ridden my whole life and they are really putting out some unbelievable pieces of machinery now! My bike is like hitching a ride on the Starship Enterprise and to hit warp speed...just roll the throttle!

Mike Kerr
02-17-2014, 07:41 AM
44vaquero,
I agree about Lee being reluctant to accept outside modifications. Frankly, they don't seem to recognize the "customer help" they receive from active forum members like yourself, on this site, THR, etc. You guys who are relatively pro Lee save them from many headaches. Yet I know from experience with them over several decades they do make the changes (gradually over time) and improvements on many items (over time) but they started as "budget" and will apparently remain so.

44Vaquero
02-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Mike Kerr,

Their attitude is best summed up as rather like STAR TREK'S Prime Directive, They do not interfere with further developments, modifications or hacks of their products. This actually has made it possible for several different little guys to market and sell Lee enhancing products. MagicMike and the guy selling new micro disk's come to mind.

From a purely pragmatic point of view they are currently selling-out of every thing they make. Objectively speaking they do not need to improve or modify anything when production is already maxed and sales are through the roof!

r1kk1
02-17-2014, 05:19 PM

Everyone's feeling the reloading equipment hit. I sit for months waiting for the COAX and RWB Summit. Months longer for barrels, special order dies, etc.

This is the worst I've seen.

Take care

r1kk1

44Vaquero
02-17-2014, 05:42 PM
R1kki,

The big difference between now and the prior manufacturing/sales cycles is this: It seems that most manufactures are unable or unwilling to add capacity (i.e. expand). The current administration is hell bent on choking off small business growth in this country.

OuchHot!
02-18-2014, 05:18 PM
I built a riser like bluehorse and drilled it...put a margarine tub underneath. I belonged to a gun club that had some Star and Phelps reloaders and it cracks me up that such fine machines had the same basic flaw in spent primer handling.

r1kk1
02-18-2014, 05:44 PM
I built a riser like bluehorse and drilled it...put a margarine tub underneath. I belonged to a gun club that had some Star and Phelps reloaders and it cracks me up that such fine machines had the same basic flaw in spent primer handling.

Maybe because some companies copy others. Proper primer disposal is not a new idea as found on old single stages of the past. It seems like it's an afterthought.

Take care

r1kk1

tomme boy
02-19-2014, 12:35 AM
I really like the way the Lee turret press the primers go down the middle of the ram and have a hose to connect to a bottle to catch the primers.

geargnasher
02-19-2014, 01:03 AM
I really like the way my Lee Pro-1000 lets the primers go down the middle of the ram and have a hose to connect to a bottle to catch the primers.

Like so:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54249&d=1353470731

:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Gear

44Vaquero
02-19-2014, 01:35 AM
We to go Gear!

We were just discussing this the other day! Building a Frankenstein Cast base with a Pro-1000 carrier and top! In comparison to regular Pro-1000 how does it feel and perform?

seagiant
02-19-2014, 05:47 AM
R1kki,

The big difference between now and the prior manufacturing/sales cycles is this: It seems that most manufactures are unable or unwilling to add capacity (i.e. expand). The current administration is hell bent on choking off small business growth in this country.

Hi,
BINGO! The Obama crowd look at it as either your in the Government (with us) or your free and independent (against us) why the American people cannot figure this out,I have no idea!!!

r1kk1
02-19-2014, 11:51 AM
I really like the way my Lee Pro-1000 lets the primers go down the middle of the ram and have a hose to connect to a bottle to catch the primers.

Like so:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54249&d=1353470731

:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

Gear

That's Fricking SWEET Gear!

A little time and some Yankee know how!

Take care

r1kk1

DxieLandMan
02-19-2014, 12:55 PM
I just remove my press from time to time. Empty the primers and then bolt back down.

geargnasher
02-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words, fellas. That press is very nice indeed. The ram travel is a half-inch more so I spaced the top plate 7/16" off the top of the columns with nuts and washers and used longer bolts. That ensures that the primer punch is the limiting factor and the primers are seated based on feel, not the dead-stop of the standard Pro-1000 base which can be a disadvantage if you ream your LP pockets to full depth. The ram stays clean of primer residue, and that large ram and solid base make things smooth as silk and a lot less "flexy" so the powder measure is more consistent and seating depth more uniform. Well-worth sacrificing a $95 press to make it work. The only mods required other than the hardware was the ram head. I ground it down to fit the shellplate carriers and filled the primer arm slot with JB Weld. I also shaped the inside of the ram top like a funnel so the spent primers don't bridge. With the longer lever, sturdier base/ram, and better linkage the cycling effort is greatly reduced. All it needs is a roller handle now so I don't have to wear a glove to prevent palm blisters during a marathon loading session.

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w538/Geargnasher/thum_89094ff895d8f26931_zpscdcd9db2.jpg (http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/Geargnasher/media/thum_89094ff895d8f26931_zpscdcd9db2.jpg.html) http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w538/Geargnasher/thum_89094ff8962fd6c3d_zpsd9953a08.jpg (http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/Geargnasher/media/thum_89094ff8962fd6c3d_zpsd9953a08.jpg.html)

Gear

44Vaquero
02-20-2014, 04:32 PM
Gear,

Thanks for confirming my thought's on upgrading the Pro-1000 to the "Cast Pro-1000". Last summer when I purchased my Lee Automator kit, I kicked around the idea of doing the Frankenstein upgrade. The Automator turned out to be such a good performer I put the idea on the back burner.