PDA

View Full Version : Any one here have an 8 guage ?

SOFMatchstaff
02-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Probably not much in the way of sporting guns in this bore, but there's bound to be some out there. I stumbled onto some components and am thinking what kind of cannon I could adapt them to. I dont want to cross the line on the bore size/ breech loader question, any Ideas??

6pt-sika
02-14-2014, 11:39 PM
I want an 8 gauge in the worst way either a Parker , LC Smith or Lefever !

And I would use it to kill a deer or two in Virginia even if it is not exactly LEGAL !

But one thing is stopping me !

The least expensive Parker I've found was about $9000 . Generally Smith's and Lefever's are more expensive . Think Parker made somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 and the other two companies if my memory is correct each made less then 50 .

I was gonna say the Winchester signal cannon was an 8 bore but after thinking about it a bit I think they were actually 10 gauge . Oughtta be some fairly easy way to rig you up a 8 gauge cannon . But be aware if you find factory loaded "Industrial" shells they're gonna be a good bit hotter then anything any normal 8 gauge shotgun could handle .

Radarsonwheels
02-14-2014, 11:47 PM
Jeez way to wuss out and not go for a four bore! I use my two bore for squirrel hunting myself!

Just ribbin! Good luck with your search and post some pics if you find one- those are the coolest thing that side of a 45-90!

bikerbeans
02-15-2014, 12:11 AM
Stop messin' with the lil' plinkers a get a Punt gun.[smilie=1:

BB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FeeamC4qk

6pt-sika
02-15-2014, 02:53 AM
Stop messin' with the lil' plinkers a get a Punt gun.[smilie=1:

BB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7FeeamC4qk

I read James Michners novel Chesapeake about 15 years ago and ever since then I've wanted a punt gun . But again a nice old original one preferably from England !

hubel458
02-16-2014, 04:03 PM
I got one on a falling block we built.. Setup right now to use
the industrial 3.3" cases, can be setup to use longer cases
by deepening the chamber. But those kiln cases can take
50% higher pressures than 10-12ga cases so we get
very high energy out them. Cases for reloading from
BPI and BPI roll crimper.

Info is in the 12ga FH thread.ED

Nicholas
02-17-2014, 04:17 PM
I have see articles on large ga slug guns used in shallow seismic studies. The guns are mounted to shoot straight down in a shallow hole to provide a seismic impulse measured by instruments in an array. This allow subsurface structure to be analyzed. They may be a version of the clinker guns used in kilns. I think the kiln guns shoot a 2 ounce zinc slug.

hubel458
02-18-2014, 04:00 AM
The factory kiln loads usually shoot 2oz at 2300
and 3 oz loads about 1800. I have some of 3 oz ones.
I load some 2 oz 10ga slugs I found, in the 8ga BPI wadcup
over 2500. Ed

elk hunter
02-18-2014, 10:14 AM
I do have an old Belgian made, black powder era, 8 bore double hammer gun. While I still lust for a Parker or similar double, this is the only 8 bore I've been able to find and buy. I use only black powder and "Circle Fly" wads to launch two ounces of shot from Remington industrial cases. The only thing I've used it on are clay targets and feral pigeons. The first shot/shots I fired from it at a pigeon I made the mistake of cocking both hammers, I swung through a high flier and pulled the right trigger and both barrels went off. Man was that a rude awakening. Still don't know if I got that pigeon. It's a fun gun that everybody seems to want to try when I have it out at the clay target range.

shadygrady
02-18-2014, 12:03 PM
what kind of 8 gauge items you have ? old 8 gauge or 8 gauge kiln industrial? all shotgun items are just like any other firearm supplys .

SOFMatchstaff
02-18-2014, 12:38 PM
ended up with a bunch of new primed hulls for the kiln guns, and thought it would be neat to have a
small cannon in that bore. I have more than I need so if any one has an interest, let me know.

I think a signal gun would be neat, and not cross the line with the gubmint....

smkummer
02-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Someone does make a nice signal cannon in 8 gauge but its really expensive. I have a repro navy 1863 single cannon with a 1" bore that sells for about $175 that requires the owner to drill his own fuse hole and make a carrage. This shoots a 1 oz. load of black powder and has way more boom than my Win. 1898 10 ga. signal cannon. I have been looking for a 8 gauge shooter shotgun for sometime now and when they come up, they are all twist steel barrels. I did see a pic of someone modifying a H&R 176 10 gauge to 8 gauge. I don't know if the chamber was cut to accept the industrial shells but the barrel was shortened to the area where it was very thick.

JHeath
02-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Affordable 8 gauge shotguns must turn up someplace. I think old Sears-Roebuck catalogs listed mail-order grade guns in that gauge. Those guns must be around somewhere. Probably hanging on the wall at Cracker Barrel between the antique snowshoes and the butter churn. My grandfather had an 8-gauge, probably purchased in the mid-1920s. When he could no longer find ammo in the local shops (Wyoming) he wrote Remington, who sold him what they said was the last dusty case of 8-gauge shells in the corner of the warehouse.

My grandmother hunted with him: she shot a more-feminine 10 gauge.

He saved the last 8-bore shell. I think I remember it being marked Remington-Peters. R bought P at the beginning of the Depression so that must be about the time the 8 gauge became obsolete.

An uncle wanted to shoot the 8 gauge and did not know better than to place a finger on each trigger. He discharged both barrels simultaneously. Grandpa said my uncle just disappeared, dumped in the long grass so fast you could hardly see him drop.

10 ga
02-18-2014, 10:38 PM
My brother has great grandfathers #8 dbl gun, circa 1875-1885, and all of his loading equipment for that gun. He worked for the lifesaving service on the barrier islands of VA. No storm then no work so the men hunted, fished and gathered oysters clams crabs etc and supplemented their income. He carved decoys and hunted fowl for market. He also had several battery guns and made a couple of punters. He was from the area just north of Oyster VA and hunted & worked the Cobb Island, Smith Island to Fishermans Island area at the southernmost tip of Delmarva. So yes I know where there is a #8 gun. 10 ga

shadygrady
02-19-2014, 09:31 AM
go to gunbroker auction site they have alot of 8 gauge items listed for sale