PDA

View Full Version : Garand and scout scope

dave5701
02-14-2014, 06:25 PM
Thinking about putting an Ultimak mount on my Garand. This will require a pistol scope. Anyone done this? I am curious about the difference between using a 2x or 4X scope. Since the scope is out there, field of view may be an issue. I intend on doing some pig hunting and if I get into a herd and have to shoot on the run, would the 2x be better?. Anyone with some experience on this?

Jack Stanley
02-14-2014, 09:23 PM
I put that type of mount on a Garand but installed an Aimpoint and the mount works very well . One of the fellas that uses that type of scope can guide you in that better than I . My last experience with a long eye relief scope was twenty-five years ago and I was not favorable with it .

Jack

JimP.
02-14-2014, 09:25 PM
I have that mount on my M1. I 'm using a holographic site with the cross hair recticle. Had to add a check riser to the stock to get proper head position. Makes for an awesome shooter now...JimP.

mark2935
02-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Dave, Use a scout scope from Burris or Leopold. The eye relief is better than a pistol scope. I have both and the Leopold gives me better field of view. B.T.W. Burris now makes a variable (2x7) scout scope that I'm interested in purchasing. Go to the "scout rifle forum" for more info.

Mark#35

Lead Fred
02-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Scopes on a Garand, the horror, the horror

Old School Big Bore
02-15-2014, 11:56 PM
The first SWS I trained on was the M1-D. Scopes & Garands are not anathema but bread & buttah.
I have the Ultimak and a Sig micro dot on my sacreligeously hot-rodded M1 carbine and am ordering the Ultimak for my sacriligeously hot-rodded Garand. I'm torn between a dot or a scout scope but will probably go with the scope. I wish Millet would make a scout version of their DM scope. If you go the scope route over a dot, do get a real scout model & not a pistol type.

Multigunner
02-16-2014, 05:33 AM
I have an old pistol scope without mounts that I found in a box of junk parts a friend gave me years ago.
I'd considered trying a scout mount for this scope but the eye relief is way too far out there for use on a rifle, and theres no adjustment for it.

Has anyone made a swing over side mount for the Garand?

Jack Stanley
02-16-2014, 11:04 AM
That's funny Old School Big Bore :-) I used an early Winchester action to start my horror hot rod . I've been thinking maybe a vertical fore grip , a light mount , sawback bayonet , black camo paint job and coffee maker too .

I do have a loose M1D barrel , just haven't thought of a project to go with yet . Could you tell me though what is the difference between the scout scope and a pistol scope ?

Jack

Pepe Ray
02-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Jack;
The pistol scopes are either (E xtended) or (Long) eye relief That's EER or LER.
The scout scopes are (Intermediat Eye Relief) (IER)
The actual relief ,in inches, is NOT engraved in stone. However there is a substantial difference in eye relief between the two groups. Review the manufacturers stats before buying.
Pepe Ray

OBXPilgrim
02-16-2014, 03:39 PM
Half of me says don't do it, the other half is curious - does anyone have a photo? I hope I don't regret asking.

Jack Stanley
02-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Bill , I have an Aimpoint T-1 on my rail right now and if I wish I can use the iron sights right through it . I don't know about what a scope might do for ya though .

Pepe Ray , thanks for the clarification , maybe I'll find a used Leupold scout ( IER) at a fun show one of these days :-)

Jack

dave5701
02-17-2014, 01:41 PM
WOW, you guys went above an beyond what I was expecting and gave me some good poop. My garand can hold 2" at 100yd, (on the bench and I do my part) so its a shooter for me. Have not realized there is an actual "scout scope". Hey JimP, how is the holo working for you, lets say at 150yd? I hope that what I do happens at much less distance, but sure as you plan for short range, there is the long shot that comes up. ANd Mark35, the "scout rifle forum", is that on a different site?

mark2935
02-17-2014, 04:33 PM
Dave... Yes,google "scout rifle forum". Lots of photos and I think someone did up a garand. American rifleman mag. October 2013 has a photo in the adds section. (page 42?)

Mark#35

JimP.
02-23-2014, 10:48 PM
for me personally, the 150 yd shot would be a shot I could do with the sight, it depends on how you sight it in, I have mine set up to be 3 inches high at 100 yds so that makes the 150 yd shot very doable...JimP.