View Full Version : Need help!

223tenx
12-16-2007, 10:07 AM
I just recently acquired a Savage 325-C in 30-30 and it is pristene EXCEPT for 4 holes in the left side of the receiver that have been drilled by Bubba. I haven't tried to find a screw that fits them yet, but I was wondering if JB Weld or a similar compound can be used to fill holes and then stand up to redrilling and tapping for a scope mount. Of course, cast boolits only. By the way, these holes appear to be fairly large for a scope mount. What is the best way to determine what size they are? I don't want to shell out $100 plus for a screw assortment from Brownell's and the only spare scope mnt. screws I have are small. Any and all help is appreciated.

44man
12-16-2007, 11:19 AM
Those side mounts usually use a larger screw, most likely 8-40. The new side mount you buy should have the same screws. If the holes line up perfect but the new screws are smaller, it is better to find the right screws and open the mount holes. No way you can fill the holes with epoxy and have the strength needed.
If the holes do not line up, then you have another problem. It is still best to locate and drill new holes in the mount instead of the gun. Mounts are cheaper then guns.

pa_guns
12-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Hi

About the only way to fill out the holes is to TIG weld them. It's a royal pain to do. Count on messing up the finish .....

Bob

10-x
12-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Might want to consider plugging the "bubba" holes with cut off screws that are the correct length as not to stick out inside or outside. Secure them with the "permanent " red LocTite. Takes a little fitting but better than any welding. 10-x

redneckdan
12-18-2007, 12:10 PM
I did the plug and loc-tite method when I built my mauser. See if you can get ahold of some Threadlocker 270 from loc-tite. Prep the area real good like and make sure you get it right the first time cause this stuff doesn't come out. Its spec-d for securing studs in aircooled engines, ie it doesn't break down with heat.

223tenx
12-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys.