PDA

View Full Version : Welcome aboard to all new members

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Busabeast
02-09-2015, 10:01 PM
hello all!
newbie here- started reloading about a year ago- started casting about a week and a half ago... 2 things i've already figured out: 1) wheel weights aint wortha darn any more (teacher says used to be lead in them... not anymore tho)
2) i like the whole casting process: these are MY bullets! very satisfying, gotta say...

quick question: soft lead in a .40? teacher says maybe a problem - but he's not sure...

.30-06 fan
02-10-2015, 02:20 AM
I hope we can make your membership worthwhile. :coffeecom:

seems to be working out very well, thanks for having me.

and hello to all from Canada.

LSCG
02-16-2015, 05:13 AM
Howdy folks!

i'm a pretty new member here, casting is something I've been wanting to learn how to do for a while now so I thought i'd better go ahead and join so I can get started! i'm starting to stockpile a little lead as we speak and I hope to get a Lee pro 4-20 pot and a 32 cal mold for my 327 within the next month or so.

thank y'all for having me!
Zane.

PatMarlin
02-16-2015, 12:42 PM
Awesome caliber Zane!

Steve77
02-20-2015, 11:16 AM
I've been a long time lurker here. I have found lots of useful info on getting started casting, load data, mold identification and many things that I wouldn't know where to find elsewhere. I have been casting a few years for 9mm, 380, 300blk, and 44 mag.

hula681
02-22-2015, 10:28 AM
Have read hundreds of threads finally joined. Thanks for all of the info.

Jack Beauregard
02-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Hi there! Lurked here off and on for valuable information and want to contribute to hopefully return the favor. Been around shooting and boom sticks for four decades, and am just now getting serious about reloading. Have a wide range of interests, from modern smokeless all the way back to flintlock. Am learning and fine tuning my skills with .308, 6.5 Creed, and 5.56 for now. Will someday soon (I hope!) cast my own lead and make my own black powder. :redneck:

Thanks to all for providing an awesome forum, and I hope to be able to contribute at least a tenth as much as all of the stupid questions I'll be asking. [smilie=s:

40-82 hiker
02-22-2015, 10:40 PM
Hi there! Lurked here off and on for valuable information and want to contribute to hopefully return the favor. Been around shooting and boom sticks for four decades, and am just now getting serious about reloading. Have a wide range of interests, from modern smokeless all the way back to flintlock. Am learning and fine tuning my skills with .308, 6.5 Creed, and 5.56 for now. Will someday soon (I hope!) cast my own lead and make my own black powder. :redneck:

Thanks to all for providing an awesome forum, and I hope to be able to contribute at least a tenth as much as all of the stupid questions I'll be asking. [smilie=s:

Jack,

Welcome aboard! Remember, we don't think any question is stupid, so don't worry. Just watch out for some of our stupid answers! :kidding:

sixshootertexan
03-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Howdy everyone I'm Ricky from Texas. I've been reloading for 25+ years and just recently decided to start casting. The reason was I've been building air rifles from scratch lately and my latest rifle is a .308 caliber. Finding .308 boolits cast in near pure lead is not easy and some of newest design bullets for air rifles are not commercially available. I've purchased a Accurate mold with 3 different weights and started casting. First run looked ok but on the second try I think I did ok. My next mold will be for my .32 H&R magnum and then the .44.

jmort
03-07-2015, 12:07 PM
Welcome. Tom makes the best molds so you are way ahead there. One thing does lead to another.

Trout Whisperer
03-22-2015, 10:39 PM
Howdy, folks!

Great site you have here! Found this site via Paul H. and his contributions to another forum. I just procured an anti-bear artillery piece (Ruger SRH in .480 Ruger), and I hope to learn more about hard-cast bullets, and perhaps pouring my own.

Happy shooting!

pappy4
03-22-2015, 10:57 PM
HELLO GOOD NAME. Its almost trout season here. Can't wait.

Jack Beauregard
03-23-2015, 08:06 PM
One thing does lead to another.Get it? Lead? One thing does lead... Y'kow, like boolits... made of lead? Right?

Oh, never mind :mrgreen:

Pawpaw40
04-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Found references to this forum @ handloadersbench.com. Looking to start casting for 45acp & 300BO to begin with, might move on to other calibers. Been lurking for a while. Good information here.

pepe_elpata
04-08-2015, 04:41 AM
Hello everyone
I think I've finally found the right place.
It has everything and much to learn.
Warm regards

Bad Water Bill
04-08-2015, 06:27 AM
Welcome aboard.

Pull up your favorite chair and let the learning begin.[smilie=s:

chicotrout
04-09-2015, 01:02 AM
Howdy all!
I just wanted t say hello and to express my excitement towards this new hobby. I haven't cast a single boolit yet I have managed to spend close to a grand in tooling so far. In my defense, I've been trolling around here for quite a while now and saving my money while I was trying to figure out how to spend it wisely. Time will tell if I did my homework right but if not, I'll just have to keep updating my setup until I get it right...darn the bad luck :)

03fatboy
04-13-2015, 05:31 PM
Hello all,
Been lurking for a while trying to gain knowledge about casting my own bullets,I'm ready to take the plunge.
This site is a wealth of information,l have a lot to learn but it will be fun.

tradbear55
04-13-2015, 05:39 PM
Howdy, Reuben from WV here. Been reloading centerfire for years, but recently got into casting and shotshell reloading. Loads of valuable info in this website, Thank you to everybody that contributes.

Vann
04-25-2015, 12:45 PM
Hello, I'm Daniel from Mississippi. I've been casting bullets for a pretty good while, and reloading for a great deal longer. I've been a lurker here for at least 3 years and figured it was time to step out of the shadows and join this great forum.

henry r
05-02-2015, 11:04 PM
hi i'm henry from Australia (armidale nsw to be precise). i'm new to all of this, i haven't shot in over 20 years and have never reloaded, so it is going to be a steep learning curve... but i love learning new stuff so am looking forward to it.

for the time being i'm looking solely at reloading .303 brit, for a SMLE/no1 mk3. i'm still getting all of my paperwork in order so i don't have any specifics on exactly what rifle i'll end up with yet. it will be full wood with iron sights and hopefully a lithgow with a H barrel.
it will mainly be for plinking and targets with the occasional shot at a goat, fox (i know it's overkill but it will be my only centrefire for a while) or maybe a feral deer on my aunts property.

pdragon
05-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Well, after lurking here for a number of years I finally decided to sign in and say hello.
The info I have gleaned from this site is simply amazing. I want to say thank you to all of the people on this site who share their knowledge. Keep up the good work.
Mark

Mytmousemalibu
05-12-2015, 07:28 AM
Howdy y'all! I'm Chris!

Finally decided to bite the boolit and join up! I've been a lurker of the site for quite some time and read countless posts looking for one thing or another. I actually thought I had joined at one point and tried to sign in but to no avail, so why not join in! Such a wealth of great info on here and a source I confide in more than any other. Hopefully I can contribute to that wealth too!

Pleasure to be here, thanks for hosting & thanks for having me!

~Chris Krueger

sgt tee
05-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Hello to All, I live in N.E Pa. foothills of the Pocono;s. I am a retired Union electrician. Married, we have the empty nest but I have a son and daughter. I am a guitar player and ice fisherman. Have some physical problems. I want to do some things and my body will not allow it. I am sure I am in the same boat with many person's. I came over from Bullion Stackers, Mary mentioned this site so here I am. I am new to reloading and I started out with a Lee Turrent press. For now I removed the indexer, until I get the hang of things and I am reading all about the craft, hobby or necessity, many different names for reloading. my self I find it a good distraction and keeps my hands and mind busy . I am still trying to process certain things about reloading and I am moving forward very slowly. Right now I am depriming some Brass bought from Monmouth brass. Jim has been a great help for me. I highly recommend his company if you are seeking good used brass. I fired one 9mm round that I put together, and 9mm is what I am currently moving forward on. I am using Unique powder as that is the only one I could buy that was not out of stock. I will be asking lots of questions, so I hope I don't come off as a gnat. Best of Days to all.......Pete

Doc Lange
05-19-2015, 10:42 AM
I've been longtime reloader rifles, handguns, shot shells. Just starting the cast bullet aspect though. I got a deal on a SAECO resizer(black coating), Lyman 358156GC mold, and two candy tin cans full of lubed/sized bullets from a great old guy "retiring". Scrounged 5 gal bucket of wheel weights and melted down to ingots. Cast my first batch last night. Have learned lots from this site as a lurker but decided to join now and continue the learning curve. Anyone want to see a pic of them to critique and advise?

knfmn
06-09-2015, 10:55 AM
Hello all. I've been around the forum for a year or two so far. I currently live in Massachusetts with my wife and five ungrateful cats. I've gotten interested in casting over the last year, but haven't jumped in yet as I haven't figured out how to do it in a condo. I'm sure I'll figure it out soon. :)

Eddie789
06-17-2015, 08:20 PM
Hello everyone, New to the site and to casting. I have been reloading for 15 years and recently got the urge to start casting my own. I love to hunt and fish and love the site. I hope to get a wealth of information on getting started! Thanks
Edgar

RetMSgt
06-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Hello everyone, I am Rob and a newly retired MSgt USAF of 23 years. I have been shooting and hunting since I was 5 and I absolutely love it. I recently picked up a AR-10 LMT MWS and decided that it was time to learn reloading. During this new adventure, I remembered that I saved close to 800 spent .45 Winchester cases; thus my journey begins. A friend of mine that I have known for many years, since I was a pup told me to try cast with my 1911 and that he swore by it for cost effectiveness, accuracy and barrel life. Strange enough, he is a member on here. Thanks for having me and I have a ton of reading to do.

Bad Water Bill
06-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Welcome to our happy home sir.

Reloading and casting WILL cost you to get started but over the years you will enjoy way more and better shooting because YOU select the components that work best in your personal firearms.

Enjoy your retirement and THANK YOU for your long years of service.

pjames32
06-22-2015, 11:38 PM
Welcome to all the new members. Lots of good information here and some really good members. Read the "sticky's" and use the search function. Chances are the answer to your question is already here.
Paul

tnaz
07-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks for a Great Site. Have gained a great bit of info so far and know much more to come. Have not cast my first boolit but not to far away now.

Again thanks.

tnaz

Pumpkinheaver
08-23-2015, 10:46 PM
Great site. Been reading the 118 page powder coating thread. Wow, is all I can say. It inspired me to try my hand at it.

Bad Water Bill
08-29-2015, 10:08 PM
Go forth and lube no more.

Party pooper

Welcome aboard young fellow.[smilie=s:

UBIE09
09-10-2015, 06:13 PM
Hello fellow casters! I am looking forward to being apart of a such a great forum. I have landed on this forum many of times while searching the internet for different loading questions. Then I started searching just this forum because the amount of information on here is staggering. Also this forum looks like it is very well moderated and a close community. I am happy to be a member now.

I have been shooting for some time now but I have only cast boolits a few times with my grandfather. Now that I have inherited his casting and loading equipment; I imagine that I will be on here way more. I am looking forward to having the support of this community to help me with some of my casting questions. Also because I am no longer able to ask my grandfather for help anymore. I hope that can also contribute information along the way.

Thank you,
UBIE

wingspar
09-14-2015, 02:39 AM
Just joined this forum today. I’m new to reloading. (4 months) Started with .308 and now I’m loading .357 Magnum. I’ve loaded a grand total of 80 lead bullets. Seems to be a larger learning curve to loading lead bullets vs plated or jacketed. I doubt I will ever cast my own lead bullets, but I’ve watched a lot of videos on the subject, and find it interesting. Looking forward to learning what this forum has to offer. My avatar is my first lead bullet hand loads.

40-82 hiker
09-14-2015, 09:26 AM
Just joined this forum today. I’m new to reloading. (4 months) Started with .308 and now I’m loading .357 Magnum. I’ve loaded a grand total of 80 lead bullets. Seems to be a larger learning curve to loading lead bullets vs plated or jacketed. I doubt I will ever cast my own lead bullets, but I’ve watched a lot of videos on the subject, and find it interesting. Looking forward to learning what this forum has to offer. My avatar is my first lead bullet hand loads.

Welcome aboard wingspar! I am replying only to say you may not want to sell yourself short about the casting of your own boolits (ever ?). Many of us aren't sure which we have more fun doing: smelting, casting, sizing, reloading, and shooting. Even mining lead has its own rewards. It is a common theme among us that we shoot cast boolits so we can cast boolits.

Enjoy reloading, even if you never cast, as that is really a hoot! Congratulations on your first 80 lead boolits!

PatMarlin
09-14-2015, 11:45 AM
Ha ha... got to crack up on that one because I remember when I said the very same thing about casting to myself years ago, and wound up with hundreds of molds, now in this industry full time for the past 8 years, and probably my last work.... :mrgreen:

Welcome-

Pat... :drinks:

Chainsaw.
09-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Howdy do Ladies and Jigglefeins. Im Charlie. Been lurking for a while. I bought a friends Grandpa's reloading estate if you will. There was lots of casting moulds, 22s, 257s, 280s? .43�� 50 cal ball and 69 cal ball. Ive been wanting to reload 44 mag for a while so now with a little help from this site Ill be able ti cast as well. Cheers.

tucumcari_kid
10-24-2015, 09:01 PM
Hey folks. Old newbie here. Been loading with my pops since the 1960s. Started out with 30-06 and 222 Rem. Moved over to handguns at some point 45ACP, 38 S&W (ordinary, not Special :) ), 380 auto. Today I've got a little bit of everything. Been thinking about casting since forever. Finally collected everything and then finally took the plunge - yesterday! Started out with a perfectly formed 454 200gr SWC. Then I proceeded to put half the mold into the lead soup. Oh well, grandma used to say "Don't get cocky, kid" where was she?

So into this fun sport. I have a zillion questions and a LOT to learn. Hopefully I can share some reloading experience. My Loves right now are 45 Colt, 44 Magnum and 480 Ruger. (Don't worry, I still reload 38 S&W as well.)

Hope to share some of the fun!

Bad Water Bill
10-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Pull up an old rockin chair relax read a lot of the stickies as most of your questions have been asked and answered there before.

Now if after that you are still in the dark jump in with both feet and ask away.

Now grab a mug of joe and enjoy the ride.

MaryB in swapping and selling has some great mugs for sale.[smilie=s:

Wslopeshooter
01-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Howdy folks, I've been reloading for 25 years now and am considering getting into casting, perhaps for both rifle and handgun. My bride and I enjoy unloading cartrides as much as I enjoy rolling 'em back up. Being a very self-sufficient type of person I imagine this is only just a natural progression of my favorite hobby. I'll be lurking for quite a while before I get started aquiring any necessary equipment, I tend to research a great deal before jumping into something. I heard about this forum from another forum (The High Road) that I frequent at least twice a day. From what I've seen so far, this looks like the place to learn! Thanks, Wslopeshooter

Hickory
01-03-2016, 08:45 PM
Welcome aboard.
One bit of caution, hang on to your wallet, in the
nearly 7 years I've been here I've bought 28 boolit moulds.

Bruntson
01-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Hi Everybody. I joined at the first of the year. I've reloaded for the last 30 years and thought I might as well get into casting boolits. I use to cast sinkers and SCUBA weights 20-30 years ago. This morning was spent reading the thread on testing hardness with drafting pencils. Great info!

Red Baron
01-09-2016, 08:07 PM
Hey Everyone,

Inherited a bunch of tools and supplies, even a Marlin Tool of some sort with an obvious cavity for casting boolits. Poked around here for a couple weeks before deciding this is an interesting place filled with a lot of knowledge and experience. Joined this morning and looking forward to learning from you all and the FAQ/Stickies here. Reloading has always interested me and now, with grandpa's equipment, I want to expand my abilities.

We live in Western North Carolina after spending my first 34 years in Michigan.

Thanks for hosting such a great group of members and information.

Jeff

Bad Water Bill
01-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Welcome to our happy home.

Pull up your favorite rocking chair,grab a large mug of coffee sit back and enjoy

WFO2
01-17-2016, 03:33 PM
New here been reloading for about 10 years . Hello to all .

dromia
01-17-2016, 05:18 PM
To all our new members.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Misc/ff535997-f40a-4b0d-a3b4-6bc25e9ea44b.jpg

Coogs
01-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Finally took the plunge. Though I reload over 40 calibers, cast bullets are relatively new to me. Just been using them for a couple years in my .357 Max and my .256 Win Mag Hawkeye. Hope to learn some more and hope to be able to share some, Coogs.

Armed in Utah
02-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Howdy fellow gun nuts & shooters.......have been reloading since '73.....so I'm rather seasoned with most rifle/handguns rds...not much shotshell...LR p/dog shooting really gets you into high volume reloading..a few of my p/dog rigs..20 Vartarg..20-222...20 Practical...223AI..6BR..6XC...and for the long range hard ones to reach I'll set up the 6.5x55...:bigsmyl2: these are set up with Savage s/shot actions & Pac Nor tubes...lever guns are hard to resist...one Rossi 45 Colt CB...several 'JM' Marlins in ***'t calibers...which I much prefer over the Rossi's...something to just like on the Marlin's walnut & blue steel...! Do not cast my boolits..usually purchase from Oregon Trail or Missouri Boolit Co...

Outer Rondacker
02-18-2016, 11:42 AM
Welcome.

hrh2k
02-24-2016, 11:49 PM
Hello!
Pretty sure this is the right spot for an introduction, so here goes...
My name is Hayden and I just signed up! I'm 16, and live in Central Montana.
I started casting last summer and it's been a lot of fun and I've had good success With it, and now as I want to get deeper into casting, I figured I better sign up here! :D
Im really looking forward to being a member on this forum and hope to learn a lot from all of you!

IanC
03-01-2016, 02:04 PM
I just joined today, looking to learn and enjoy the community. Im from Ontario, Canada

Smoke4320
03-01-2016, 02:20 PM
hrh2K and IanC
welcome aboard .. there are many helpful people here .. don't be afraid to ask .. but do take some time to look thru the stickys
lots of very good info contained there and well worth the reading time

PatMarlin
03-01-2016, 02:21 PM
Welcome all ...!

blue32
03-03-2016, 11:09 PM
To whomever hosts this site, thank you.

I started reloading in '09. I've been casting since the middle of '15 for 32-20 using BP. Recently added 45 acp and lately, 260 Rem. Very thankful for the wealth of knowledge from the members here.

Blue32

EMC45
03-08-2016, 11:34 AM
Welcome to all the new folks here. New casters, old casters- new reloaders, old reloaders, it doesn't matter- This is the best site on the internet for the knowledge base and expertise we have here. Sit back and enjoy. Read the stickies and learn.

Mixxerd
03-17-2016, 02:25 PM
New caster here, been reading a lot and using that search bar every day. It is a decent search and helps me with 99% of my questions. I inherited some casting stuff from my father last month and a .44 cap and ball revolver so I figured I would just take to making my own conical bullets and round balls. I know I could pick them up pretty cheap but I want to go through the process of making boolits myself. I have met nice people in chat, and I even met a member who is sending me 40 conical rounds that I want to try out before I invest in the custom mold for them. I was offering to buy and he just said he would ship them and not to worry about money, a "straight-shooter" so to say. I owe swathdiver one in the future. I am glad to have found this forum it is a wealth of knowledge, and the members keep it flowing.

Mad Jack
03-17-2016, 10:58 PM
Hello everyone. Been a lurker for a while and enjoy this forum.

I have never cast anything before but that will change in the near future. I currently only reload for .38 special. I am getting ready to reload .308 Winchester but open it up to .311 or more depending on bore slug.

I shoot revolvers and old rifles. My current project is finishing my grandpas sporter Arisaka Type 99. He had it chambered to .308 and built the stock in 1954. Ran out of money and put it away with just the rechamber job plus weaver scope mounts installed. No scope. I put on a mid 50's weaver KV on it and put a few rounds down range. So far so good.

There ya go.

No_1
03-18-2016, 12:10 AM
Welcome aboard folks!

RP
03-18-2016, 12:22 AM
Grab something and hold on what you will learn here is more then you may be ready for, a lot of helpful people around eager to share with anyone that is willing to listen. I found this place looking for load information and have learned since I was doing it all wrong for the most part and also so many new things I never knew about such as swaging bore sizing casting methods and the list goes on. Just got don't building a PID for my casting pot I did not know about or would have knew about with out this site and now am working on a annealing machine for my brass. I have meet a few new people that have enriched my life and became friends with many more just by being here I hope you enjoy the site as much as I have. OK that's about as touchie feely as I am going to get I don't want my man card pulled lol.

dbarry1
03-23-2016, 07:19 PM
Nice website and members posting here. Been a long time visitor, thought I sign up.

Dave

No_1
03-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Welcome Dave!

Nice website and members posting here. Been a long time visitor, thought I sign up.

Dave

Bob in St. Louis
04-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Hey all, noob Junior Boolit maker here.
I've got a VEPR 12, and it's a hungry beast. The only way I'll keep it fed is if I make its food myself.
I've bought a Lee Load-All and was given some 'fixins to start me out with. Seems the ingredients I have don't make any known recipe, so despite having made and fired some concoctions, I was told I should find out what I'm doing before I blow my face off.

So here I am. ha ha
I'll lurk and check out the stickies before I ask stupid question.

Thanks All!
Bob

40-82 hiker
04-05-2016, 04:15 PM
I've got a VEPR 12, and it's a hungry beast. The only way I'll keep it fed is if I make its food myself.
I've bought a Lee Load-All and was given some 'fixins to start me out with. Seems the ingredients I have don't make any known recipe, so despite having made and fired some concoctions, I was told I should find out what I'm doing before I blow my face off.

So here I am. ha ha

Thanks All!
Bob

Hey Bob! Welcome aboard. Please do not hesitate to ask stupid questions! We love them! Besides, people who ask the occasional stupid question makes us feel better when we ask the occasional stupid question. :bigsmyl2:

toallmy
04-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Yes if you ask a easy question , a new member like myself can get in on the helping out . Welcome

Bob in St. Louis
04-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Thanks folks!
Don't tempt me on the stupid questions.... I'm FULL of them.
I'll start a whole new thread full!! ha ha!!!

Bad Water Bill
04-05-2016, 04:43 PM
I DARE YOU:bigsmyl2:

Welcome and ask away because many other nubees might B lerkin N wonderin da same thingz.

Yup we have fun here.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
04-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Welcome Bob,please be careful with Concoctions in shot guns THEIR NOT FORGIVING !!. It's spring finally and some of us are re-organizing the winter mess.That said,there could well be extra 'fixins' that would build a safe load for ya.Just ask,you will most likely be surprised.Most will only ask that you do the same in the future.

So here I am. ha ha

Thanks All!
Bob

toallmy
04-05-2016, 07:44 PM
Bob in St . Louis let me be the first to help you spend some money , for shot shell loading your going to need the Lyman shot shell reloading handbook . The 5th edition has the newer hull loading info , but the 4th edition was a wealth of knowledge as well . But if you post what your trying to make and what your working with I bet someone can point you in the right direction . Have a blast safely .

Bob in St. Louis
04-06-2016, 09:33 AM
But if you post what your trying to make and what your working with I bet someone can point you in the right direction . Have a blast safely .
Thanks ALL for the kind words, and warm welcome!

Since you asked, specifically, here's the ingredients I have:
- Win 209 primer (100)
- CB1100-12SL wads (500)
- 1oz Lee slugs a few dozen
- 00 Lee buckshot (about 100)
- Herco powder

I used a Lee Loadall to make a few slugs. Off the top of my head, I don't recall the powder bushing I used.
Lee bushing 148 maybe? Based on the "feel", it was a bit hotter than the 3.5 dram ammo I've fired.

What concerns me, is that even though things seemed right, I saw a Youtube video where the guy pushed a slug/wag into the barrel and said there should be a slight drag. Mine was WAY too big to fit, yet I had fire 5 rounds through my gun. Whoops?

Since I started looking, I've not found one recipe anywhere that uses this combo of components.

toallmy
04-06-2016, 07:40 PM
Well Bob in St. Louis you are in good shape with your herco with a heavy payload , the wads are more of a 1-1 1/8 oz but you can find some 1 1/8 herco loads , the buckshot is interchangeable with lead shot data just count and weight for amount , lee has data out for the slugs , but one of the most important ingredients is the hulls , and that are not the same . Not just 3 or 2 3/4 inch but the tapering of the hull and the base of hull will affect the pressure big time . I have smashed out 12s for over 20 years with my lee load all , you can mix up all kinds off loads with the bushings that come with it . Sit down and load a hundred right quick or mash out a box to go hunting with . I have loaders I can load a lot more on , but I don't have a loader I have had more fun with . Be safe and do some pattern test on your shotgun , pop can patterns count to *** well as paper just don't know wear the ones that missed went .

Bob in St. Louis
04-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Thank you!
What do you feel about that part where the load installed in the wad should fit down the barrel with a light drag?
The Lee 1 oz slug in this wag won't fit at ALL!! (yet I've fired a few)

toallmy
04-07-2016, 06:47 AM
Bob in St. Louis if you go to the top of the page on the right side , there is a Google search if you punch in ( lee 1 oz slug load data ) you will open up a wealth of knowledge . Figure out what slug you have lee has a key drive , or the one that looks like a big airgun pellet . Follow load data as stated earlier pressure can vary greatly with switching between components . You feel the recoil but that is not the pressure you need to worry about . Herco will work for you , it's good for 10-12-20 gage plus hand guns ,even light rifle loads . Spend a little time getting to understand your load combinations and it will quickly start making sense .witch wad and hull for witch payload of shot . If you need a few different wads or hulls to put together your load p m me ill see what I have .

toallmy
04-07-2016, 07:16 AM
I just thought I'd mention if you don't have the directions for the lee load all , I can get you a copy . Or lee offers you free download you will see witch powder bushings for different powder charges , but you need to check the real weights with a scale when at the top end .

Bob in St. Louis
04-07-2016, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the heads-up on the search bar up there!
I've got the Lee chart, but every one of the Herco listings show "none" on the bushing size.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=113184&d=1407722397

toallmy
04-07-2016, 03:47 PM
Bushing .198= 28.9 herco that's the largest bushing after that you must hand weigh with a scale. 1500 fps is moving .

Bob in St. Louis
04-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Ahh... gotcha. Thank you.
Yes, 1500 is indeed moving. The VEPR12 likes the high octane (which is why I'm wanting to reload).

ChromeArty
04-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Hello fellow enthusiasts! ... And you know you've taken this hobby too far when you find yourself on a boolit casting website! :D

I am a 100% neophyte in the world of casting, so please bare with my tremdously elementary questions! I'm starting from scratch here!

thanks for having my aboard :)

Trev

toallmy
04-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Welcome ChromeArty your going to have fun . Start reading and asking questions .

drifterdon
04-11-2016, 09:25 PM
Hi all,
Long time lurker here starting to get real interested in casting some of my own. Been reloading for many years and now that I bought a .38 I want to make up some SWC-HP loads. Planning to start with regular SWC when I get around to actually getting some molds. I did cast some pure lead Great Plains conicals for my muzzle loader but that is about it. I hope to learn about hardness requirements and all the rest. This site is a wealth of info for a newbie. Any others around the South King County area of Washington? Finding a tutor would be great.

No_1
04-12-2016, 11:48 AM
Welcome aboard!

cobra246
04-12-2016, 06:46 PM
Hi yall. I just joined. I had some questions regarding casting in the THR forums and they recommended for me to check yall out as yall have a wealth of info on this stuff. Thanks for letting me join!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Bob in St. Louis
04-12-2016, 06:56 PM
Welcome!!
"THR" forum?

cobra246
04-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Welcome!!
"THR" forum?
The High Road forum..nice folks too but casting isnt their field of scope

JimB..
04-12-2016, 10:52 PM
We'll I suppose this is the best place to say "hi" to everyone, so hi. Before I get going I'd like to apologize to user JimB if he or she exists, please let me know and I'll change my name to avoid any confusion, just wasn't thinking about it.

I've been a poor shot for a number of years and was recently tempted by reloading to feed my NFA habit. Having loaded just a few thousand rounds I'm getting subtle pressure to at least begin thinking about casting, so here I am.

Honestly have been lurking for maybe a year and find that you're a pleasant and helpful group, I will strive to maintain that standard.

Make it a great evening,
Jim

toallmy
04-13-2016, 06:39 AM
Welcome aboard.

No_1
04-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Welcome,
We can provide the info you seek if it is related to cast. We are not like THR in many ways. Take your time and enjoy the place.

Robert

Hi yall. I just joined. I had some questions regarding casting in the THR forums and they recommended for me to check yall out as yall have a wealth of info on this stuff. Thanks for letting me join!

No_1
04-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Welcome aboard JimB..

Once you decide what name you truely want let me know and I will change it.

Robert

We'll I suppose this is the best place to say "hi" to everyone, so hi. Before I get going I'd like to apologize to user JimB if he or she exists, please let me know and I'll change my name to avoid any confusion, just wasn't thinking about it.

I've been a poor shot for a number of years and was recently tempted by reloading to feed my NFA habit. Having loaded just a few thousand rounds I'm getting subtle pressure to at least begin thinking about casting, so here I am.

Honestly have been lurking for maybe a year and find that you're a pleasant and helpful group, I will strive to maintain that standard.

Make it a great evening,
Jim

Paper Puncher
04-14-2016, 04:15 PM
This looks like the place to say hello. I am definitely a novice when it comes to casting. I had a few lessons back in 1966. I kept up the reloading part but for various reasons never pursued the casting. So I think it is about high time I expand my horizons and try my hand at creating some of my own boolits. I know lead still melts the same way (ok the "new" bottom pour pots are sure nice) and I know there have been tremendous improvements in lube. I plan to do a lot of lurking (absorbing information) and hopefully will be able to contribute occasionally.

Thanks for letting me join the site.

PatMarlin
04-14-2016, 05:11 PM
Welcome lurkers... :mrgreen:

WFO2
04-20-2016, 11:42 AM
I forget to stop by here first . Been reloading for years and wanted to take up casting . This place has a wealth of information . Also thanks to the few members who have messaged me with help and information . This old man from Texas is in full lead scrounging mode.....Anyway greetings and thanks .

Hawk4570
04-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Hi,

Been lurking here for a while, soaking up a ton of good info. Seems like a good crew here.

Been reloading for about 30 years, but only dabbled at casting years ago with borrowed equipment. Looking into casting & coating boolits for 45ACP & 45-70/458 SOCOM.

No_1
04-21-2016, 12:07 PM
Welcome aboard!

powwowell
04-22-2016, 08:45 AM
I'm a recent new member of the forum. I've been reloading for a few years, but I have never cast a bullet. I recently acquired a Pietta, in .45 Long Colt, and I'm astounded at the cost of ammo for it. So, I'm going to do a lot of reading and try to educate myself, to be able to cast some "boolets" for my 1873 peacemaker clone. Maybe I'm not to old to learn?

Nick Quick
04-23-2016, 10:22 AM
I've been peepin on this place since loooong time ago. Now I've decided to finally join. This place is a fountain of knowledge and now I'm happy to be part of it.

Bob in St. Louis
04-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Welcome!

No_1
04-28-2016, 04:56 PM
Welcome! We are never too old to learn or help.

JimB..
04-28-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm a recent new member of the forum. I've been reloading for a few years, but I have never cast a bullet. I recently acquired a Pietta, in .45 Long Colt, and I'm astounded at the cost of ammo for it. So, I'm going to do a lot of reading and try to educate myself, to be able to cast some "boolets" for my 1873 peacemaker clone. Maybe I'm not to old to learn?

Hey, I know you, well at least we're both on another forum. Welcome to here from another aspiring bullet caster!

Tanker56
06-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Found the web site today, Joined today! Lookin' forward to finding lots of info....

No_1
06-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Welcome aboard Tanker!

toallmy
06-21-2016, 05:01 PM
Tanker you are going to have a blast , and welcome .

Bad Water Bill
06-21-2016, 05:52 PM
TANKER

Welcome aboard,now pull up your favorite EZ chair and a LARGE mug of coffee and start reading the stickies and then start asking questions.

Girty says HOWDEEEE also.

The Governor
08-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Hi to all. I've lurked a while and now I've joined with some questions about casting balls for black powder stuff I inherited.

Preacher Jim
08-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Welcome there are many ball rollers on this sight

DerekP Houston
08-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Hi to all. I've lurked a while and now I've joined with some questions about casting balls for black powder stuff I inherited.

Lol nice avatar to go with the screenname. And welcome to the madness.

PatMarlin
08-04-2016, 05:04 PM
Welcome Governor.

Your last name isn't Brown is it? ... :shock: :-)

The Governor
08-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Heriot. Brian Heriot.[smilie=s:

PatMarlin
08-05-2016, 01:25 PM
That's great news... :-)

BucketBack
08-29-2016, 05:32 PM
Well I might as well say hi again, since my last log in was 5/9/14. I lost my login for awhile but I still have the BucketBack sydrome from Ice Fishing.

I just acquired some lead, old school molds a small electric ladle(sic) and a bunch of blackpowder bullets from an estate(s)

Expect to see the bullets up for sale once I get up my post count up

I just picked up a New unused 44 Bulldog and will be casting for that and my buddy's Springer A1
here's a link to a Bucket-Back closed ad on arfcom, since I need the special brass anyway
This is merely for street cred with you guys so you know I'm a straight shooter
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_114/1556421_44_Mag_BrassSOLD___44_Special_Brass__and_H ornady_44_mag_Special_dies_Price_Adjusted_To_Marke t_Value.html

TXCOONDOG
08-31-2016, 07:01 PM
TXCOONDOG here!

I've hunted all my life and started reloading about four years ago, mainly because I wasn't happy with my rifles performance. Of coarse, shooting guns with hard to find ammo (wasn't commonly stocked item at stores) such as the 6.8 SPC II, 10mm Auto, etc push me to reloading.

My factory Remington SPS in .308 was shooting 1.5" group at 100 yds and by trial & error, it now produces groups at .280" at 100 yds with my reloads (when I do my part).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/kennygates/Mobile%20Uploads/AD073C69-E7B6-424F-9C3B-F7DDD8C6E26A_zpscevr6ngh.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kennygates/media/Mobile%20Uploads/AD073C69-E7B6-424F-9C3B-F7DDD8C6E26A_zpscevr6ngh.jpg.html)

I also reload for all my shotguns (12 & 20 gauges) and pistols too.

My son and wife bought me a GP100, Model 1707 for my birthday (8/22) this month.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/kennygates/Mobile%20Uploads/0A574284-4F20-4635-A12F-105EDC464B56_zpsliuwldj3.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kennygates/media/Mobile%20Uploads/0A574284-4F20-4635-A12F-105EDC464B56_zpsliuwldj3.jpg.html)

So you guessed it, I want to learn how to start casting my own bullets for my new toy!

I bought a .358/158 SWC Lee 6 cavity bullets mold, Lee 20lb production pot, Lee hardness tester, .357 and .358 sizing dies, 1,000 pieces of starline brass, Lyman 3rd & 4th Cast Bullet Handbooks, .357 reloading dies along with a roll crimp die, etc.

Note: I checked my chamber throat for size. I went ahead and slugged the barrel too!

I have about 100lbs of CWW that has been fluxed and cast into 1lb ingots. I bought some SuperHard and Linotype from Rotometal to get me off to a decent start.

Of coarse, I understand that it will take practice, trial and error to hone the skills needed to become a decent caster!

Hope not only to learn from everyone, but to share my knowledge with all as well.

Fordcragar
09-17-2016, 09:40 PM
I joined a couple of months ago and thought is time to introduce my myself. I'm fairly new to guns and am just getting into reloading. I look forward to participating in the forum. I'm sure that I'll have lots of questions.

herman48
09-21-2016, 06:42 AM
Hi, everyone! I've just joined this forum and am introducing myself. I live in southern Alabama. I was born and raised in Italy, moved to California in 1975, spent two awful years there, moved to Montana, where I spent 7 years, then moved to Alaska, where I spent 29 years (I was a high school teacher of English, there), then retired and settled in Alabama where I am planning to be buried in a century or two... I am a gun nut and shoot and hunt both with breechloaders and muzzleloaders. My favorite guns are my T/C Hawken cal. .50 with a Green Mountain aftermarket barrel with a rifling pitch of 1:28" and my Ruger M77 .338 WM, that I still use for whitetail deer. Yes, I know, it's too big for deer, but I've never seen a game animal that was too dead after being shot. On the other hand I've seen some that were not quite dead enough and were lost... The real reason why I use this old gun, though, is that I hunted for deer in Kodiak, where I lived, in some nasty neighborhoods infested with Kodiak bears, and I wanted to have in my hands something with plenty of Oomph! to dispose quickly of a pissed-off brownie. Another gun that I still use often is my 1987 11-87 12/76. I was an avid duck hunter in Kodiak. Here I use it for doves, crows, coyotes and bobcats. There is no real duck hunting here, except for a few wood ducks. Besides, my fifteen-year-old chocolate Lab is retired and fading fast. I have a CCP and carry either a Kimber 1911 .45 ACP or, in the summer, when concealability is a problem, a little Beretta 95 .380. I have a plethora of other guns, both long and short, but too many to mention. My wife hunts and shoots, too. I also have two favorite toys that consume fuel, not gunpowder: an Argo 6x6 amphibious ATV, and a Kubota RTV 1100.
I hope to make some new friends here and to learn new tricks.

Scorpion8
09-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Nanook of the North, reporting in. Long time hunter and shooter in SouthEast Alaska, but just getting started using cast bullets (so far all purchased commercially) in .30-30, .35 Remington, .45-70 and .41 Remington Magnum. Glad to be here.

builderofstuff
09-29-2016, 10:02 PM
New guy from Missouri here. Wanted to say hello as I just joined the forum today. I've only been reloading a short while and casting for even less time, but I'm completely hooked. I've been loading with a Lee classic handloader, and for me it's been just perfect as I don't get to reload a lot and I don't have a lot of extra room at the moment. Anyway I'm also a hobby machinist and look forward to trying to machine some molds for myself.

Chris

JB. Books
10-01-2016, 01:20 AM
Howdy Forum Members,
I am new here myself, came across the forum while doing some research on some load info.
I'm currently in Ozark Mtns, Ar but hail from Kalispel Mt. I am retired military (GySgt-USMC)
Avid Hunter and Collector of Sharps rifles and US Military Rifles. I have already found a wealth of
great info here through out the forum and looking forward to being a member as well.

Semper Fi ....

Bad Water Bill
10-01-2016, 02:29 AM
Welcome to our happy home and family.

Pull up your favorite rocking chair and a LARGE mug of joe and start reading the stickies.

Morgan61
10-22-2016, 10:57 AM
Just joined today after lurking about this forum for after several months. Been reloading for a few years and last winter I decided to try my hand at casting my own boolits.

At this time I'm only shooting cast boolits out of one of my rifles-a Marlin 336A 30-30 and thanks to the help that many of you supplied me, here's the fruits of those labors:

179234 179235

100 yds.
26gns. of H335 under a powder coated boolit dropped from an SC311-165 RF mold from NOE.
The "flyer" was the result of someone on the next bench over from me shooting just miliseconds before my rifle went off resulting in a flinched shot. The other 4 rounds grouped at less than 1".

Soundguy
10-27-2016, 12:39 PM
Howdy, I've been lurking and reading here a whip, nit sure why it took me so long to join. I shoot handgun and long gun, both smokless, black powder and substitutes. I'm currently casting round ball for 44, 50 and 69 cal smokepoles, and 38/357/35 REM for smokless guns. I live in north central florida

T_McD
11-02-2016, 11:20 AM
Hello all, I have no idea where to post this, so I figured I would start here. I am looking for local casters in my area to get my feet wet. I like to ease into things by doing rather than just reading (which I have done A LOT of). Are there sub forums by state or region? I am in Northern Oklahoma.

Boolitmeister
11-22-2016, 03:14 AM
Hi guys. Thanks for letting me join the forum. I have so much to learn but I am looking forward to getting into reloading with cast boolits for my 357 magnum Chiappa 1892 lever action. I have not reloaded a single shell for the last 30 years or so but I am sure it will come back to me, with some help from you guys.

The_Hammer
12-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Howdy from Southeast Texas!

DRat-TN
12-15-2016, 02:50 PM
I've just joined this forum and am introducing myself. I have been reloading jacketed bullets since 1980 and am just getting started casting boolits for my 1873 Trapdoor Cadet rifle.

1911ly
12-24-2016, 12:03 AM
I'm new to the forum, but have been lurking awhile [smilie=1:. I am a avid reloader. Thinking about getting in to casting. This is for sure the place to learn! Merry Christmas to all!

Larry in South Bend

Madoktor1
12-31-2016, 08:11 PM
Hey Y'all from Tennessee. I've been reloading for a while for 9 different calibers, cast bullets in all my pistols and one rifle from a vendor in Oregon. Now I'm starting casting myself and all of my casting stuff will be here next week and I will be powder coating. I have several friends who are members here and figured this is where I need to be for answers to questions I have. Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to the knowledge I'll gain here and maybe hand out as well.

Matt15
02-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Hello,

My name is Matthew and I am here to learn more about casting. I love to hunt and fish. My hobby is airguns and I am a member of Gatewaytoairguns.org . I am going to be getting a .357 Air rifle to hunt coyotes with and I would like to cast bullets for it.

No_1
02-14-2017, 02:01 PM
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pebbles
03-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Greetings from Belgium!

I enjoy recreational shooting since 20 years now, I shoot 16 different calibers including the little 25acp, I reload all of them. Actually about 10 calibers see more usage, the others are more seldom used.

2 years ago I became father so the time I can spend reloading in the basement is more limited. My shooting volume is slightly going up, so I'm graduating from slow presses to fast ones, and to faster casting and lubing equipment. Casting is fairly new to me.

Guess I'll spend most of my time in the Star equipment corner. Later on I may need some input on casting for surplus rifles, i intend to experiment with epoxy coat with gas checks in WWI-WWII surplus rifles like Mausers.

Looking forward to this.

Thanks for sharing so much information!

KMac
03-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Greetings from Belgium!

I enjoy recreational shooting since 20 years now, I shoot 16 different calibers including the little 25acp, I reload all of them. Actually about 10 calibers see more usage, the others are more seldom used.

2 years ago I became father so the time I can spend reloading in the basement is more limited. My shooting volume is slightly going up, so I'm graduating from slow presses to fast ones, and to faster casting and lubing equipment. Casting is fairly new to me.

Guess I'll spend most of my time in the Star equipment corner. Later on I may need some input on casting for surplus rifles, i intend to experiment with epoxy coat with gas checks in WWI-WWII surplus rifles like Mausers.

Looking forward to this.

Thanks for sharing so much information!

Welcome from Texas!

Since you are way farther down the road of reloading and casting then me, I am glad to have you on this forum and I hope you can help me out sometime when I need it.
Seriously though it is good to have you here. You will enjoy the vast knowledge that can be gleened from here and the help of some really good people.

Pebbles
03-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Thanks!

No_1
03-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Welcome to the forum Pebbles!

New River Gent
05-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Good Afternoon folks. I've been lurking for about a year and a half and finally made the jump.
I started reloading and casting during 1960, than along came the Army than College, family, career, etc. Of course a big mistake I made was to sell all my casting equipment and went into pre-cast handgun a jacketed rifles when things quieted down. Lately I've started thinking about casting lead for both early production .32 Win. Special and a .38-55 Win. I was very surprised to see that Lyman does not have a big selection of mold's available, but business is business. These projects should be very interesting

Stay safe folks.

Boaz
05-11-2017, 07:57 PM
Well heck ! Bout time New River Gent ! Welcome .

No_1
05-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Welcome aboard! Glad to have you.

wills
05-11-2017, 09:29 PM
A prodigal returns! Welcome.

05-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Hello,
I've been reloading for a number of years in several calibers, but using j-word bullets and mostly for rifles. A few years ago I started buying MBC cast boolits for pistols and had been satisfied, but I'm always yearning for more. This forum has come up many times when searching for answers to questions posed via the internet. In the last few months I have been wanting to cast my own boolits and have been reading posts here voraciously. I've also read "Ingots to Targets" looking for information.

I have not yet cast a single boolit, but I have been gathering supplies. My plan is to use a gas powered plumber's furnace with cast iron pot/pans to make ingots from range scrap (j-word bullets with some shotgun buck and slugs) and then ladle pour boolits to powder coat. I have a spare tumbler and will likely use that for applying the PC and will obtain a convection toaster oven for baking. Initially, I will be casting for .45 ACP and if all goes well then .38 Special and 9mm. Assuming that goes well, .458, .308, and .311 caliber rifle will be next. I really want to find an acceptable load for subsonic .308 Win using CB's and my .458 SOCOM is expensive to shoot with j-word bullets.

I'm sure I will want to get an electric bottom pour pot to speed production after getting started. I need to get molds yet, but most everything else I have or will shortly. I'm excited to start down this rabbit hole and appreciate all the hard work done before me to make it easier for me to begin! I have a whole lot to learn and am willing to do so. I hope to contribute as well when I have knowledge or experience to do so. Another hobby is gas powered appliances such as Coleman lanterns and stoves, so if you have a question about those, fire away!

Thanks allowing me to join!

No_1
05-12-2017, 05:45 AM
Welcome aboard!

AnotherNew1
05-15-2017, 10:45 PM
Okay, so i got this wild hair up my _____. Thought yeah i can do that !! "Casting". Then the research bagan and now?
Lets just say i have everything but a chosen Boolit. It all started with "I hate the cost of RANGE TIME with what I carry"
Looking for HP CB. All the testing i have seen are with Manufactured rounds. Of Course i could be looking the wrong way.
9mm 3.4" Barrel 1:10"RH Twist with 6 Grooves

As you can tell "I'm Another New 1" Hope to choose soon.

Just sharing why i joined after STALKING for quite some time.

No_1
05-16-2017, 04:14 AM
Welcome aboard!

flyingrhino
05-17-2017, 01:09 PM
Welcome to all the new members! There's a MESS of knowledge and experience on here and every new person brings even more to add. Thanks for joining!

PatMarlin
05-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Cast Boolit Heaven... :mrgreen:

RasKebir
05-31-2017, 07:03 AM
Greetings to all users C.B. from nort east of Italy, near Torino, in a small village. Good wine, good cheeses and so many green hills where does the "Fassone", the famous Piemontese meat. . . . . and, of course, a abandoned quarry where to go to practice on saturday and sunday.

My name is Arturo, I'm "just" 49, married, 3 kids.

This forum is wonderful. I've been checking this forum out for awhile and it seem everyone is so friendly. One I have noticed is the amount and the quality of information, is formidable. Thanks very much.

I obviously speak Italian, I speak and write very well French, I speak and write very bad in English, sorry.
My compliment to the staff and user Cast Boolits

Bob in St. Louis
05-31-2017, 09:35 AM
Welcome Arturo!
No apologies necessary, your English is better than some folks who were born here. ;)

jmort
05-31-2017, 10:23 AM
Yes, welcome. Your English is better than any other language I can't speak. There is a lot of good info here.
God Bless and God Speed

RGrosz
05-31-2017, 12:11 PM
Welcome aboard Arturo, not a worry about the English. I seem to have problems with iot my self and I was born here. It's gotten worse since I had the stroke, but I can (and you will soon) get your point across, and I can't speak any other language except bits and pieces.
Rob

Smoke4320
05-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Welcome Arturo!
There are many helpful people here ..
Cheers!!

No_1
05-31-2017, 12:22 PM
Welcome aboard!

RasKebir
06-01-2017, 04:49 AM
Thank You everythings
After many year of homemade castings using a pot and a electrical stove I have decide to built myself a casting machine. In my work I have to dispositions a lathe and a milling machine.
Now, in Italy, there is a deep economic crisis and I have a few time for me. ;-)

Spoonerism
06-02-2017, 02:32 AM
Howdy from the hills of east Tennessee. I'm a yong' un at 26, freshly married and just starting to get involved in reloading and casting, haven't done a bit of either yet, but I hope to have all the gear I need this summer.

coloraydo
06-06-2017, 01:39 AM
Welcome aboard, Spoonerism. Pull up a chair, grab a cup, and immerse yourself in one of the best hobbies around. Does your bride participate? If so, good for her. If not, there is nothing better than getting her started along side you. :cbpour:

halodub
06-06-2017, 03:54 AM
Hola everybody; new guy here from southeastern WI. Been reloading now for a bit, but just haven't yet completed my dive into casting my own boolits. Got a giant bucket of lead wheel weights from a friend, so once the funds allow, I will be getting some molds, a hotpot, and some HF powdercoat and get crackin' :)

As of now I'm trying to stick to one projectile size for pistol and one for rifle for both my girlfriend and myself, those being .356 for handgun (for 357Sig and 9mm) and .277 for rifle (for 277WLV and 6.8SPC). Hoping that once I get into casting I can start increasing my stockpile without my wallet hurting as much.

Excited to be a part of this community! :D

No_1
06-06-2017, 06:43 AM
Welcome aboard!

gunnie
06-11-2017, 01:28 AM
G'day folks. Was directed here by Bad *** Wallace as a means of increasing my avenues of learning about the mysterious art of castin'
Am over the magic 50 and have been involved in shooting since I was 10. Have been involved in reloading now for about 30yrs for both rifle and handgun. I do use factory cast projectiles in my pistols and a few rifles (Mod92 32-20, 44-40) but am looking to expand on that in the coming years.

So, am currently enjoying all the posts relating to Martini Cadets as I have several, original and custom, and currently looking at one chambered for 357Mag.

Look forward to learing more and interacting with you all as time goes by.

Tsquared
07-27-2017, 07:01 PM
Howdy, I have been lurking for a while. I got directed here from 1911forum.com for questions I was asking there a while back. I joined and used the search function and found everything I had questions about. I have been back a number of time for the knowledge base.

I grew up with a Dad and Uncle that reloaded. I learned from them in my teens during the 70's. I also had a good friend in HS who's father was QA for Hercules in Brunswick GA - he was paid to pull powder off the line, load it up, and test it. I learned a lot from him as well. Dad was into casting .44, .45, and 9mm/.38 for what he shot. After I moved away in the 80's I would come back with my spent brass and use his equipment to do a mass reload. When he passed I got his RockChucker, some essential equipment, and powder/components for what I shot and I let my brother-in-law have the rest. I have since picked up a Dillon 550B and I now load 9mm, 45, 223, and 6.8SPC.

Jthomas
09-01-2017, 03:07 PM
Hello All, Google was nice enough to bring me here. I was looking for information on doing a caliber change on a Mauser and looking for info on casting and reloading for it. Seems like I have most of it covered here on 1 site. Down side is, looks like ill be spending alot of money after reading here. Thanks Guys.
James Thomas

DerekP Houston
09-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Hello All, Google was nice enough to bring me here. I was looking for information on doing a caliber change on a Mauser and looking for info on casting and reloading for it. Seems like I have most of it covered here on 1 site. Down side is, looks like ill be spending alot of money after reading here. Thanks Guys.
James Thomas

Welcome to the club, it's money well spent if it keeps you enjoying your hobby =). I stopped trying to save money reloading.

Slimjim34655
09-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Hello all, I have been lurking here for quite some time, always planning on getting into casting. I am finally making the plunge by jumping in over my head. I am building a large frame AR in 45 Raptor (a straight walled 308). So I will be reshaping brass as well as casting, and loading 260gr boolits to a screaming 2300fps. Hopefully this newfangled powder coating helps with that.

I also will be starting to cast 12ga slugs, as well as bitty boolits for my 9mm.

I am a veteran, married, and have 5 kids, shooting is a large part of our lives out here in rural GA.

God bless.

PatMarlin
09-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Lordy, I remember my first post... lol

You can read on here non stop for years...!

Welcome aboard.

Pat ... :Fire:

white eagle
09-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Welcome aboard!

Slimjim34655
09-03-2017, 01:06 AM
Thanks fellas, I will try to update based on my data once I get rolling. I am very excited about the 45 raptor, I think it has a lot of potential.

BHill
09-06-2017, 12:13 AM
Hello all. Been a member for several years mostly reading and studying. There is tremendous knowledge here and I appreciate everyone's willingness to help and further the understanding of this amazing hobby. I would have never believed the extraordinary capabilities of the cast boolit just a few short years ago. Now I only look at things that can shoot them efficiently or in the terms of how much I can learn from them. I am truly appreciative.

BHill

Binky
09-18-2017, 01:42 PM
Long time lurker(probably a decade or more) As a long time shooter and caster, mostly in handguns but some rifle,(50+years) I have enjoyed reading the forum. I especially enjoy the vintage equipment sections and the hunting/shooting sections. As an old guy I don't spend as much time in the field or at the range as I once did and as a result I don't cast as much as I have in the past. If I follow my usual pattern I will read a lot and post seldom. If I have a question or something to contribute, I will chime in but mostly I will read and learn. Thanks to all for the knowledge I have gained, over the years and I hope to continue along the same path for sometime to come!

EMR
10-06-2017, 12:49 PM
Just wanted to say hello! I've been a handgun reloader for a few years and just got into casting this week. I think I'm getting a hang of the casting portion fairly well, it's learning the art of PC'ing that's the hard part. Hopefully I'll figure it out once I sift through all of the info here on the website.

jmkelly60
10-06-2017, 11:56 PM
Hi guys. I just joined, but I’ve been lurking for awhile now. I’ve dabbled in reloading for the last couple of years but am finally getting serious about it. I got a melt pot and 9mm mold last Christmas, but they’re still in the box. Just bought 100lbs of scrap from the local indoor range that I’m going to turn into ingots soon. Anyway, I’m mostly here to learn, but I wanted to say hi.

paulragan
11-04-2017, 09:42 PM
Hi folks ! New member here, thank you for letting me join ! Burned about 1/4 lb of black powder through my little 32 Crockett today and finaly got it to shoot the little tc maxi Hunter !! Good times :)

PatMarlin
11-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Sounds like a fun Saturday for sure! My girl and I went to a gun show, her first one... and that was fun as well. Think I got a new gun nut in the making... lol

Minerat
11-05-2017, 11:51 AM
Welcome , Binki, EMR, jmkelly60 & last but not least paulragan. We have been remiss in not welcoming you to the forum. Much to read and digest here and If you have a question trust me someone will probably have the answer so ASK. Some times you get directed to a thread that has the answer, but I have found that it usually answers many questions you did not realize you had too. So WELCOME to the club. Cast on.

EMR
11-05-2017, 12:15 PM
Welcome , Binki, EMR, jmkelly60 & last but not least paulragan. We have been remiss in not welcoming you to the forum. Much to read and digest here and If you have a question trust me someone will probably have the answer so ASK. Some times you get directed to a thread that has the answer, but I have found that it usually answers many questions you did not realize you had too. So WELCOME to the club. Cast on.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I’ve been able to answer most of my questions but by browsing the pages here. But everyone’s been more than helpful when I do post a question.

kylebryan
11-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Just joined up today! I look forward to getting a wealth of info from this forum. Thanks!

Preacher Jim
11-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Welcome to the best source of knowledge about casting, loading, most things related. Read the stickys and the rules and you will enjoy cast boolits. Try the chat room most on of a morning or evening get in and get to know these folks.

Micke
12-02-2017, 07:15 PM
Hi, all from SW Colorado! I've been reading castboolits for years now and joined up to see if DougGuy might be able to help me out with a new revolver that's a lemon.

I really appreciate all the great info! Much to learn.

I'm an early retired, senior citizen type. I do quite a bit of my own home DIY gunsmithing - usually with success but got in over my head on this wheel gun. I'm also an auto musclecar hobbyist and sometimes do some dualsport motorcycling.

Anyway, thank you all for all the great info in this website!

Micke S.

Decimus
12-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Hello everybody! Lurked here for a while and have been gathering some fantastic knowledge, thank you!
I've been shooting and reloading for over a decade but have been a bit intimidated by casting my own boolits. It's fascinating and I do want to start sooner rather than later. My life stage makes it difficult (small children in the suburbs) but not impossible.

I'll be exploring for a while.

Thanks for the great forum!

No_1
12-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Welcome aboard.

Ddfrieghter
01-07-2018, 07:23 PM
Good afternoon, I'm new to the group but not complete new to casting. I've been a cas shooter for a little over 5 years. Which of course led me to join our local muzzleloader club. Currently I'm casting 45lc smokeless and black powder boolits, same with .38, I've also been casting soft lead for 3-5 different muzzle loading rifles and pistols. So of course the next progression is long range, I ordered a Pedersoli Remington rolling block in 45-70. So that adventure will begin shortly. That what brought me here. Thanks ddfrieghter

No_1
01-07-2018, 09:26 PM
Welcome aboard!

easilydistrac...
01-23-2018, 01:08 PM
Just a quick hello from a new member. Been reloading for about 2 years and decided to start casting so I can shoot more on my starving college student budget. So much great info on here. Can't wait to put it to use when my pot and molds show up in a few days!

elRonaldo
02-03-2018, 02:28 AM
I'm also new here. Found the forum because of the molds from Miha.

Hope to learn a lot for casting my own boolits.

Unfortunately can't recieve any e-mails from the forum. No acitvation e-mails, no new answer notifications.

Preacher Jim
02-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Welcome to cast boolits to both of you. Great bunch of folks here

mlewis0113
02-04-2018, 11:23 PM
New Guy from Central Illinois. I have been looking to get into reloading for about a year now. I just received some vintage reloading stuff that I would like some info on. I'll post that in another thread. Love the site so far.

Ramguy
02-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Thanks a bunch for giving us (newbies) a place to get our feet wet this this thread on this site. I have been using this website as a reference for several years. You guys have your ducks in a row. Your site is pretty easy to navigate, even for this newbie. I am just getting started on trying to powder coat some bullets and this site is helping with "recipe's". Wife is not all that keen on me cooking stuff in the kitchen, so I am looking for a cheap electric range to put in the outbuilding for finishing up my boolits. In my years of shooting PPC, IPSC, NSSF, GSSF, NRA Bullseye, I have always admired the way the "old guys" are always willing to help out the newer guys. I will admit that I have even loaned some of my guns at matches (and supplied some ammo) to someone who was wanting to try their luck. Must be what a drug dealer feels like when he gives free samples to potential clients. Just hook them and then they can't stop. similar, yet different....... Thanks again for a great web site!

Doglover
02-17-2018, 02:55 AM
Jumping in from Virginia. Well you can't Google anything about cast bullets without ending up here. I've gotten a ton of great info from this forum already. Been shooting and reloading for nearly 50 years. Started at 14. Do the math, yes I'm old! Anyway retired now, live on 30 acres with my own 200 yard range. I have shot plenty of cast bullets over the years but never reloaded them or cast my own. Starting now!

444pistol
02-19-2018, 12:51 AM
Hello everyone, new guy from southern Ohio. Been reloading for nearly 30 years mainly the j-word and commercial cast. Gathering components and info hope to get started soon. Thanks for all the great info.

J. DIEGO
02-19-2018, 05:00 AM
Hello to the whole community
My name is Juan, and I am in the province of Alicante (Spain)
Congratulations for such a great forum.
Best regards.
Juan

PhantomRider64
02-24-2018, 12:09 PM
Been on the site for a few months now and just getting around to this section and this thread. A lot of good info in the tech sections,,,wish I had more time to read it all.

I have been associated with firearms since I was about 8 years old however I never did do a lot of shooting until recently. I now live where I have been able to set up my own shooting area, it is only about thirty yards long so not so good for rifle. I have in the last few years gotten into pistol shooting, I find it very enjoyable and am amazed I did not get into it when I was younger.

My other hobbies include Reenacting (Civil War a Cowboy) and Motorcycling. The reenacting got me interested in pistols and caused me to purchase my Uberti SAA clone. The Cowboy reenacting (doing shootout scenes from movies or something made up) caused me to get into reloading so that I could make up my own blanks. This of course opened the door to the rabbit hole,,,

dsayer
03-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Another new guy here. I just started handloading 44mag (Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter), which then lead me to try my hand at casting boolits for my 54cal muzzleloader. I've done a batch of 535 round balls and one batch of Lee REALs. I suppose I need to get a mold or two for my 44 now... Any suggestions??

Grmps
03-15-2018, 08:51 PM
Welcome to CB dsayer,

Lee is an economical way to start

https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/hand-gun-bullet-molds/

You should slug your barrel and get a mold that drops at least 1/2 thou over that diameter

next, you need to choose the proper alloy for how hard you want to push the boolits

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356846-Predicted-Physical-Characteristics-of-Bullets-Cast-in-Various-Alloys

Camper64
03-15-2018, 09:41 PM
Just another newbie from Iowa.

There is a wealth of information on this forum to make your head spin. So much so that I'm indebted to a lot of fellow members for sharing their insights and knowledge to guide me.

I'm of the believe that if you study from others (especially elders) that you can save a lot of headaches, aggravation and money. Well, not so much on the money part. I wanted to start slow and in phases but I'm enjoying it so much (too much) that I just keep purchasing more stuff based upon what I'm learning here and from a few you tube videos (FortuneCookie45LC, Elvis Ammo and Johnny's Reloading Bench to name a few). You folks have guided me on equipment recommendations and procedures.

I'm currently reloading with a Lee Turret Press Deluxe Kit for 40 S/W. Will be reloading for 9mm and 45 ACP after this weekend. Just started casting my own bullets; powder coat, sizing and all. Glad I didn't have to dive into the lube process.

Another good thing with this forum, is I feel comfortable with purchasing items from the Swap and Sale section. All the transactions I've made so far have been Straight Shooters and I've been acknowledging them in that section.

Again, thanks to all of you for keeping this forum very educational, entertaining and a growing family.

I hope to not ask any questions, because I'm sure it's been answered at one time or another. I promise, if I do, I've made every effort to find the answer via searching and reading. I'll know you'll come through for me if I do.

PatMarlin
03-15-2018, 10:00 PM
We like Newbe's Camper64...

Welcome aboard,

-Pat ... :Fire:

dsayer
03-16-2018, 12:28 PM
Welcome to CB dsayer,

Lee is an economical way to start

https://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/hand-gun-bullet-molds/

You should slug your barrel and get a mold that drops at least 1/2 thou over that diameter

next, you need to choose the proper alloy for how hard you want to push the boolits

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356846-Predicted-Physical-Characteristics-of-Bullets-Cast-in-Various-Alloys

Thanks! I'm considering a 240gr SWC that I could use for plinking rounds as 44spc with pure lead or then try to harden and gas check with a hotter load. Maybe try to simulate something close to the Buffalo Bore Deer Grenade even though it wouldn't be a hollow point.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=232

I'm also currently just using a Lee Loader for my 44mag and don't have a sizer to seat the gas check. My wife asking that I wait a little longer before buying more loading/casting gear...

Bait O' Eggs
04-25-2018, 02:35 PM
I wanted to say hello, I have been reading this forum for a while, I have really enjoyed the content.

I bought my RCBS Rockchucker in the mid 1980 and have loaded a lot of ammo on it. It is slow, but has always got me from A to B. I have avoided loading pistol ammo for the most part because it was so slow. I decided it was time to kick it up a notch, and have been upgrading my equipment. I just took delivery on a Hornady AP Lock & Load, hope to get its quirks figured out soon. As long as I am at it, I got a couple molds to cast bullets (124 grain 9mm and 55 grain 5.56) . I have cast 1000's of pounds of fishing lead, hope to add some shooting projectiles to that list. Something seems wrong with painting boolits, but that is where I am headed. I have powder coated a lot of lead fishing jig heads, so boolits look pretty easy to paint.

I am sure I will have questions as I proceed down the making boolits road. Thanks in advance.

D Crockett
04-26-2018, 12:08 PM
Bait O' eggs welcome to the board there a lot of good folks here that will answer most any question you will have D Crockett

sdharlow
05-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Hi all! Newbie here. I've been reloading my own shells for a couple of years now, but am just beginning to dip my toes into the Bullet Casting waters. Will be primarily starting out casting slugs for my 12 gauge slug gun, but hope to move from there onto casts for my hand guns and long rifles as well. I've already amassed about 100 lbs of lead wheel weights, and my son just surprised me with about 200 lbs of lead diving weights he came across in Florida.
So, I have a LOT to learn, and will be reading a LOT of the posts on here.

Preacher Jim
05-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Sdharlow study the stickies and then jump in one thing with lead you can recast till you get it right.

1margarette
05-12-2018, 11:48 PM
Hello pals, my name is Margarette and I am the latest addition to this community.

Bazoo
05-12-2018, 11:52 PM
Howdy from Kentucky Margarette. I've been blessed by the community there, and im sure you and all new members will be also.

charleswrivers
05-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Hi all. Been lurking for awhile... trying to gain what knowledge I can before asking any fool questions.

I'm a long time shooting enthusiast. My old man taught me to reload .308 on a old Lee and .38 WC/SWCs on his Dillon 450. Those have come to me over the years... and I've been moving them in a box over the course of a few military moves over the years. I broke down over the course of this year and got one of those Lee handloaders just to try to stick my big toe back in the water... as I wanted to get back into reloading and the small stockpile of WC/SWCs I'd loaded up years before had dried up. I'd talked about setting the presses up for years but just never got around to carving out a little 'me' corner in the house and it was... and still is.. a means to an end. I'd also added a pair of decent shooter grade S&W Model 10s over the last year to the nickel Model 19 that was his service weapon when he was a Sherriff in the 70s. He's passed on to his great reward a couple years back... and he had told me stories of bullet casting with wheel weights back before I was around... and I've been intrigued enough to scrounge a bit of lead... get some safety equipment and have a Lee Production pot in the mail. I've bought a bunch of bullets over the years... but with a new shooting range getting built over the next few months in the little town I live in... I aim to enjoy my first real shore duty and have a hobby again.

I'd grown up hunting some... but have gotten away from it over the years. The last few times I'd been out was with ailing family members who couldn't really get in the woods without someone practically carrying them... and I went to let them still do what they enjoy. Now... with my oldest being 7 and showing interest in turning squirrels into stew... I'm planning on taking her out this fall and seeing how she likes it. I'm not... and probably will never be an avid hunter... but I appreciate having had the opportunity to do it and consider it a skill that is good for my kids to know, even if they don't care to do regularly. I'll find it shocking if they don't at least find squirrel hunting a thrill. I always did. One of my uncles had a SxS Stevens .410 that made me feel like a little Mad Max when I was a kid and we'd go out to get a bunch of squirrels.

I've got some cases with their flash holes modified and have been shooting some wax here and there since last year from reading it somewhere around here. I've been doing the standby 148 gr HBWCs over 2.7 gr. of Bullseye... and have been trying out some new things (this and 158 SWCs over 3 gr. of Bullseye is all I knew as a teen). I have a batch of 158 SWCs over 5 gr. of Unique I oughta be able to fire this weekend. I'd read some about .360 diameter 000 buck with light power loads or primer only and a tight crimp I want to give a try eventually. I've still trying to pick out my first mold... but I figure it'll be either a Lee 158 gr. SWC or the RF. It's all interesting stuff and I'm enjoying getting back into it. I wish I could share it with my old man... as he was my #1 guy to talk to about randomness... but I've got the next generation to chat up about my interests. If my girls can talk Ninja Turtles and My Little Ponies with me... they can hear their dad talk about sight picture and how to squeeze a trigger. It's a fair trade!

Minerat
05-15-2018, 06:22 PM
Welcome, sdharlo, 1Margarette & charleswrivers. First off there is no dumb question as someone on this forum will have your answer. We want to help! I spent many months when I joined, reading stickies, and posts, but at some point you just have to ask. If you have an answer don't be afraid to give it no matter your post count. If you have a question on the rules send one of the moderators a private message (PM) we'll get back to you.

Second read the rules, read the infraction system sticky in the Our Town, and the Frequently asked Questions thread under the General thread and post, post, post, you all will have something to contribute. You only have 29 to go.;)

The magic numbers are 30 posts, 30 days as member. Once you reach these levels you will have full access to the forum and be able to sell items here. You can track your post count by looking at the upper right hand corner of the screen when you sign on under your screen name.

We all started where you are so again, welcome to Cast Boolits.

1margarette
05-17-2018, 06:20 AM
I really appreciate the very warm welcome @minerat and @bazoo.

Pepe Ray
05-29-2018, 11:40 AM
Thanks for opening the door for me. I've been here since,well-- years. The initial forum always fulfilled my needs so I never ventured further.
I've been occupied with growing old and the many and varied issues it brings and have lost touch with many friends.
Where is 45Nut? I tried P.M.ing him a while ago with no results. I'll be around, I hope, to TTYL.
Pepe Ray

PatMarlin
05-29-2018, 11:54 AM
Hey there PePe..!

RichardF
05-30-2018, 10:19 PM
Good evening All,
I have been lurking for quite a while and have learned enough about casting to collect about 400 lbs of lead and most of the tools it takes to do it. What I haven’t done well is share the journey. I recently retired and am looking forward to learning how to turn the lead into boolits!
Thanks,
Richard

DK'dUranium
06-09-2018, 05:40 PM
Hi Guys. I'll present my story as a first, test posting. I've been casting since 1976 as a 15 year old. My dad gave me a .32-20 but even then ammo for that was hard to locate and expensive for paper route money. I learned of casting. Right then, my newspaper ditched their linotype presses. My paperboy instinct keyed into the possible availability of linotype. I rode my bike across town to the pressing facility and expressed interest in their lead. I was led to a room with what I recall to be a small Fort Knox of billy club sized ingots of precious linotype all stacked together. "How many do you want" I was asked. I replied, "oh, one." He asked me was I sure and he'd sell it all to me cheap. I declined that opportunity and rode away with one club in my bike basket. You all can imagine how by now I kick myself for not grabbing it all to become Hoss Linotype for life. Oh well who has any sense at 15?

Old Dutch
07-11-2018, 02:55 AM
Hello everyone. Thanks for having me.
I was referred over from another forum where I was asking questions related to powder coating. I’ve done a fair amount of casting over the years, but usually just run the output through my old lube sizer. I’m looking forward to trying something different.

Grmps
07-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Old Dutch - welcome to CB. If you decided to start casting to save money, forget it. You won't, you'll just shoot more.
There is a VS (Vendor Sponsor) Smoke4320 that sells an assortment of powder coating that all works for ASBBDT (Air Soft BB Dry Tumbling) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?252509-VS-Hi-Quality-Powdercoating-Powder-For-sale
There is a section dedicated to Coatings and Alternatives
For volume powder coating I use this method http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?341128-%26%23128020%3B-Mesh-trays-led-me-to-change-PC-method
I have a thread on containers you can use for powdercoating http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?355591-Favorite-ASBBDT-containers
I have found that NOE sizing dies are a better value, have more sizes available and store easier than Lee http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=104
Casting boolits (lead bullets) properly is a science, once you know the basics, not a hard science.
There is a lot of good information on CB. The Google search (top right of every forum page) is a gateway to all the knowledge on this forum. IF you can’t find your answer there ask the question (Please be as detailed as possible, pictures help http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?344661-Capturing-amp-Posting-screen-shots I would be very surprised if there wasn’t someone on this forum that could answer ANY (firearm related) question you might have)
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
1. Boolits need to be cast .0005 to .003 (normally .002) over the slugged diameter of your barrel for accuracy and to avoid leading. If the fit is wrong nothing else will work right.
a. slugging a barrel (it is safer to use a brass rod or a steel rod with a couple of coats of tape to avoid damaging your barrel http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
b. chamber casting https://www.brownells.com/guntech/cerrosafe/detail.htm?lid=10614
or pound casting http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356251-Pound-Cast-instructions-(for-rifle-chamber)
2. the right alloy needs to be used for the velocity and purpose of the boolit (don’t fall into the trap of going with too hard an alloy
Economical way to easily test lead hardness
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?355056-Easier-pencil-lead-hardness-testing
https://i.imgur.com/TGUQsIe.jpg
Some alloys harden over time
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_3_alloySelectionMetallurgy.ht m
different alloy’s different end sizes
https://i.imgur.com/emuBC2T.png?1
Lead alloy calculator
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45784&d=1341560870
3. velocity the bullet needs to be pushed hard/fast enough to get the proper spin, have the proper velocity to accurately reach the target but not so hard as to be dangerous or strip the lead off in the grooves instead of spinning the boolit..
The boolit needs to be the right weight for the riffling/twist rate of your barrel
Powders range from fast to slow, you need to choose the right powder for your barrel length & application.
Loading manuals list the best powders for certain calibers and boolit weights.
NEVER use any posted noncommercial load data without first checking commercial load data to see if falls in the safe parameter for your firearm!! There are several firearms out there that can handle much higher pressures than others!!
Link to free online load data
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?337910-CB-load-data-online-sources

DaveTNC
08-01-2018, 01:11 AM
Hi, I’m Dave, from North Carolina, and I’ve been lurking on here for several years, signed up a couple of years ago when I started reloading, and have been spending hours and hours gaining knowledge from this site. Decided it was finally time to introduce myself.

I just started reloading a couple of years ago and have really enjoyed it. Now I’ve decided to try casting my own boolits. My supplies just arrived from Titan Reloading. I’m starting with the basics, just a Lee Melter, ladle, a couple of two-cavity 38 special molds, and a bottle of Liquid Alox. Some Range lead is on the way and when it gets here I’ll be ready to go.

Thanks to everyone for all the help I’ve already received just from reading the posts on this site. I’ve learned a lot, but I know there’s a lot more to learn.

Dave

nashlaw
08-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Hello, from Tennessee!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have had thoughts of casting boolits for many years, but never acted on it. In my area, I have never, to my knowledge, met a boolit caster. I have spoken to an older gentleman that talked of shooting cast ammo, but he did not say whether he cast his boolits himself.

At any rate, I am 56 years old and work for Bridgestone tires. Put myself through law school and am taking the bar exam in February. Been an avid shooter for 35 years and have enjoyed the people I have met more than the guns and range time. I am a people person. One reason I am excited about this site is the abundant how-can-I-help-you mentality of the membership. The courtesy you folks extend to one another is nothing short of old school gracious.

This is probably more than you want to know, but a friend once said if you ask me what time it is, I'll tell you how to build a watch.

God bless and be well,

David

Tallbald
08-06-2018, 10:24 PM
Hello all. I've been absent so long I want to sort of reintroduce myself here. Became a caster several years ago and worked through many new caster issues with help from many here. Made many new friends along the way. Tragedy struck our family though in August of 2016 when my parents-in-law were horribly murdered in their home next county over. Still reeling from the kilings we've been involved in the court proceedings and hearings pertaining to the man charged with the murders. Lost my only sibling, an older sister, to cancer unexpectedly last year. Helping family sort out her estate since then. Lots happening that has prevented life as we used to know it.
But happy to be back and hope to learn and contribute as before. Thanks for having me. Don.

PatMarlin
08-07-2018, 10:35 AM
Welcome back Don. Holy cow- you've been through to much. Need some cast boolit therapy and as you know, this is the best place to get it. Hang in there... Pat

PatMarlin
08-07-2018, 10:37 AM
That's some great info Grmps...!

Pig cooker
08-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Hello..my buddy Dougguy told me about this site about 5 years ago..been looking ever since.been casting.reloading.working on guns appx. 40 years.turned wrenches at ford dealers 20 years.worked my way up(or down)to parts and service director.got a wild hair up my butt and went to police academy .retired from police dept.after 20 when I got throat cancer.been a hobby machinist for 20-25 years.i enjoy making and modifying stuff..I've learned a lot from you guys reading stickies and posts.dougguy is a fine fellow.very technical in his fields.hope at some point I can contribute to this site.thanks Phil

LarryLee
08-18-2018, 12:40 PM
Hiya - my searches have landed me here quite a bit so I take that as a sign! Started casting 50 years ago but life has a way of interfering doesn't it? I am getting into SS rifles lately and am starting to load with cast boolits. I have been able to confuse myself quite thoroughly so I will be full of questions. Thanks in advance.

Indigowolf
08-18-2018, 04:58 PM
Hello to all from New Hampshire. I just got my reloading equipment back from my son. He had been planning on reloading but never got around to it. In the past I have reloaded 44-40, 44 Spl, & Mag. My plan is to start reloading .357 mag.
You may recognize me from a couple of other forums. Yes, I am a forum junkie and my name is John....
Here is my latest re-entry into the revolver world and my reason to start reloading again.
https://i.imgur.com/HK2fYkHl.jpg

Grmps
08-18-2018, 08:49 PM
John, - welcome to CB. If you decided to start casting to save money, forget it. You won't, you'll just shoot more.

Heres some stuff I put together that might make your re-entry into casting easier/more enjoyable.

Casting boolits (lead bullets) properly is a science, once you know the basics, not a hard science.
There is a lot of good information on CB. The Google search (top right of every forum page) is a gateway to all the knowledge on this forum. IF you can’t find your answer there ask the question (Please be as detailed as possible, pictures help http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?344661-Capturing-amp-Posting-screen-shots I would be very surprised if there wasn’t someone on this forum that could answer ANY (firearm related) question you might have)
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm
1. Boolits need to be cast .0005 to .003 (normally .002) over the slugged diameter of your barrel for accuracy and to avoid leading. If the fit is wrong nothing else will work right.
a. slugging a barrel (it is safer to use a brass rod or a steel rod with a couple of coats of tape to avoid damaging your barrel http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
b. chamber casting https://www.brownells.com/guntech/cerrosafe/detail.htm?lid=10614
or pound casting http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356251-Pound-Cast-instructions-(for-rifle-chamber)
2. the right alloy needs to be used for the velocity and purpose of the boolit (don’t fall into the trap of going with too hard an alloy
Economical way to easily test lead hardness
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?355056-Easier-pencil-lead-hardness-testing
https://i.imgur.com/TGUQsIe.jpg
Some alloys harden over time
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Chapter_3_alloySelectionMetallurgy.ht m
different alloy’s different end sizes
https://i.imgur.com/emuBC2T.png?1
Lead alloy calculator
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45784&d=1341560870
3. velocity the bullet needs to be pushed hard/fast enough to get the proper spin, have the proper velocity to accurately reach the target but not so hard as to be dangerous or strip the lead off in the grooves instead of spinning the boolit..
The boolit needs to be the right weight for the riffling/twist rate of your barrel
Powders range from fast to slow, you need to choose the right powder for your barrel length & application.
Loading manuals list the best powders for certain calibers and boolit weights.
NEVER use any posted noncommercial load data without first checking commercial load data to see if falls in the safe parameter for your firearm!! There are several firearms out there that can handle much higher pressures than others!!
Link to free online load data
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?337910-CB-load-data-online-sources

If1Hitu
08-21-2018, 02:10 PM
Hello to all members,I just came across this forum.I own many handguns four rifles and four shotguns. Will be reading and learning all I can here about many subjects. I have one lever action Rossi 92 .44 Magnum 24" on layaway should have it out in a few weeks.That will make me have three lever rifles in all. Thank for adding me to the forum.

Grmps
08-21-2018, 03:20 PM
Welcome to CB If1Hitu

There is a wealth of information available at your fingertips by using the Google search box near the top right of the page.

If you can't find an answer there just ask, I'd be surprised if a member here didn't know the answer.

If1Hitu
08-21-2018, 10:07 PM
Welcome to CB If1Hitu

There is a wealth of information available at your fingertips by using the Google search box near the top right of the page.

If you can't find an answer there just ask, I'd be surprised if a member here didn't know the answer.Thanks Grmps!

SELoader
09-20-2018, 07:12 PM
Hello all, new guy here. I am just getting into reloading with the help of a local friend who is also a member here. Getting excited. I picked up my first press kit just this week and haven't had a chance to mount it yet because I've been sick all week, but I'm spending time reading up on reloading and talking with my friend. I plan to start off loading for 44Mag and hopefully 357Mag and then probably 30-30 and possibly 9mm and 223. Can't wait to get started!

Grmps
09-20-2018, 08:08 PM
Welcome to the addiction SELoader

CallMaker
10-13-2018, 03:02 PM
New here to this forum. A couple of you might recognize my handle from another forum or two.
Hoping to learn some more about bullets and casting. I've been a hunter since the mid to late '70s when I started following along with my dad and his friends. Got deep into waterfowling for a long time. But over the last decade, I've gotten bit by the big bore revolver bug and that has led me this direction.

ShooterAZ
10-13-2018, 03:18 PM
Welcome to the forum CallMaker. Lots of good folks, and lots of good information here. Enjoy the site!

St. Hogustine
10-15-2018, 09:12 AM
Hi y'all,

I registered and started learning about cast bullets years ago, but am only now gathering the rest of my equipment and actually starting to cast. A new handgun in .38 Super, and an interest in hunting with my .480 Ruger SBH and .44 carbine, have me ready to melt some lead. Thanks for all you have taught me so far!

Proudprado
10-29-2018, 11:52 AM
Good afternoon.

I'm new to the casting world and joined your site when I could not find answers to quite a few questions. Since then I've been reading and reading and reading. :p

I've been shooting for a while, mostly IDPA, but I do do the occasional steel challenge and try to hunt once a year. I've bought a six cavity mold in 9mm and 7/8 ounce shotgun slug mold. I plan to add a .30 mold in the near future.

Thanks to the information from this site, I did 1000 9mm casts today. And they are improving by the day. I am also powder coating the product ... also with guidance from here.

All I have to say at this moment is: Thank you so much. The wealth of information here is staggering. I hope to, one day, be able to contribute something useful, but for now I am happy to just grab what you guys are handing out. :lovebooli

Preacher Jim
11-01-2018, 05:51 AM
St. Hogustine and Proudprado welcome to cast boolits family if you can't find information you need ask someone will have the answer. Jump in and join discussion in forums lot of knowledge and great folks here.

Toolman25
11-13-2018, 10:47 PM
Newbie here. I tired to register as a contributor; the payment went through but I wasn't able to complete the registration. Finally signed up as a free account. Can anyone help me upgrade?

Minerat
11-14-2018, 12:13 AM
Toolman25, welcome aboard. I have sent a request for help to get you where you want to get. You'll find the members are great in answering questions. One suggestion is to read read read, the stickies and ask questions. Also review the rules here
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cmps_index.php?page=TOS

and here

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?369658-S-amp-S-Rules-amp-Definitions.

If you have any questions contact one of the moderators and we will be happy to help.
Good luck and welcome aboard.

Rubino1988
11-24-2018, 10:33 PM
Thanks for having me I like the site so far

Nam62
11-28-2018, 05:40 PM
I am an old timer in my 80's been reloading since the late 50's & casting Boolits since the 70's.
Teaching my self how to Powder Coat Boolits & having a blast on making different color boolits some look like little lipsticks.
My latest toy is a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan .454 Casull. I traded in a .44 Mag popgun on it. I like hard kickers!!

Could not load photo.

No_1
11-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Welcome aboard!

Take care,
Robert

Grmps
11-28-2018, 09:37 PM
Nam62 Welcome to CB. To load pictures on this forum the pictures need to be downsized to 200kb or less

I like using IMGUR to post pictures http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?344661-Capturing-amp-Posting-screen-shots

Posting pictures using IMGUR
1) Go to https://imgur.com/
2)Select sign up: Fill out information or register with: facebook, twitter, Google+ or Yahoo account
3)Log into your account
4)Click on your name and select images
5) click on the Add Images box (upper right) -- click on browse and find your picture
or
6) On your computer, rt click on the picture you want to upload and hit copy (or hit control C)
7) go back to IMGUR, L click on the girafe/up arrow and either rt click and select paste or hit control V
or (the easiest way), IF you have more than 1 monitor, drag the picture you want and drop it anywhere on the IMGUR screen
8) On IMGUR, Left click on the picture you want
9) Then click on COPY next to [BBCode (message boards & forums)]
10)Go to the post you want to put the image in, either right click and select paste or hit [Ctrl + V]
11) Save your post and you're done.

blazing lead
12-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Hello all joined not to long ago but have been a lurker gathering insight and knowledge for awhile. looks like a great place

Rubino1988
12-07-2018, 03:45 PM
Tons of good info on this site thanks for having me

Dre_sa
12-10-2018, 03:01 PM
Greetings all!

Currently based in CA and looking to leave when possible. It seems though that this state is somewhat of a trap.

Currently reload for .577-450, and just started .43 Mauser. Both require casting, so figured I'd stop by and learn some stuff from the grey beards.

Thinking about starting to cast for .308 as well, and have been reading tons. The more I read though, the more questions I have.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181210/794322b75f3eb9321f66189aef453477.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181210/a7287f2c2a1eb0917a4b764f11853bd4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Grmps
12-10-2018, 03:17 PM
Dre_sa Welcome to CB.

I'm PMing some information that will help you cast boolits

Dunross
12-22-2018, 10:33 PM
Howdy,

New member here. Used to shoot and reload a good bit way back when, but marriage and children led me to put it away for a lot longer than I really meant to. But I'm back now! Finally going to learn to cast bullets too. I've already learned a lot from lurking and am now ready to actively participate. Thanks for having me!

Abidingguy
12-24-2018, 08:21 AM
Howdy from South Texas! Finally decided to begin casting my own pills after rolling my own for a few years. I was fortunate enough to get a deal on a bunch of used gear to get me started casting quickly, including about 100lbs of WW lead, linotype, etc. I'm also in the country, so the ability to cast my own pills is helpful.

Looking forward to learning much about casting safely! Glad to be here.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181224/3c47037cbbb175056ca43bdcc7f6dd63.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

cat-mechanic
03-23-2019, 02:23 PM
Hi all, thanks for letting me in.

Been reloading for some time and ended up with a pile of stuff for casting from some estate sales.

Dieter
04-12-2019, 11:20 PM
Evening!
I’ve been a lurker here for quite a while. I figured it was time to sign up, learn and hopefully contribute in some way. I’ve been reloading for several years and have entertained the idea of cast my own boolits numerous times. More so now that I’m muzzleloading this year for deer and elk, and it’s getting hard to find .54 cal maxi-balls.

snowmanwr426
05-01-2019, 12:34 PM
New to the forum, new to casting for cartridge. Been casting round ball for years. From a few threads i have read, seems like a great group of good people. I am currently casting 9MM 356-125 2R, .45ACP 452-228 1R and .380 356-102-1R. I am at this time powder coating as well. I had just completed a small run this weekend. I have the Lyman cast book coming next week. Quick question, In all my other reloading manuals what load data should I be looking at JHP, FMJ, TMJ, LRN (P), SP. and of course minus 10% on the charge, or for me a tad more. I've been looking through my reloading manuals and if my memory serves me right, (which is only 25% of the time) I go off JHP or (P) minus 10%. Thanx in advance.

xiholdtruex
05-03-2019, 06:08 AM
hello everyone Im from south florida. Just started reloading in Jan. reload primarily with cast bullets but do use plated also. After much thinking and lurking have decided to begin to contribute here as well. would like to start casting my own bullets later this year. reload primarily for .38/357 mag ,9mm and hopefully .44mag later this year also. started on a hand press and just upgraded to a press mounted to a 2x6 and clamped to my table. fun times loving it so far.

DukeConnors
05-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Greetings. I have been reading and learning here for a little while. Thank you to the membership for the knowledge and willingness to share info.
I have been reloading since the seventies but began casting bullets this year. I was cleaning out the spare bedroom and came across a box of my grandfather's old sinker and jig molds. It brought back a flood of memories so I dusted the gear off and started casting fishing stuff. I figured what the heck and ordered a cheap Lee 45 acp mold and in a short period of time I built an additional work bench in the garage and dove into my new hobby. I am now casting and powder coating for 5 handgun calibers.
Many here have said it is rather addicting and now I understand what the meant.

Thanks again for all the members that share their knowledge and experience.

Duke

skrapyard628
05-09-2019, 05:59 PM
Howdy There!

Just wanted to get a quick hello in and introduce myself. I have browsed here many times in the past looking for info and load data suggestions. I do not cast anything myself but its looking like I am going to get into it in the near future.

I have been reloading for close to 15 years now but only for a few pistol calibers. Recently I acquired a MEC sizemaster and I am looking to get into shotshell loading mainly using slugs. Thats what sparked my interest in casting. Gotta find a way to feed the old 12ga with slugs that wont break the bank!

I also have a funky project where Im trying to reload some specialty 12ga ammo for the RAS12 shotgun and Im looking to experiment with slugs for those cartridges.

It looks like there is a lot of good info here that I will spend way too many hours soaking it all in.

Thanks for allowing me to be part of the community!

---Jimbo---

JBinMN
05-09-2019, 07:15 PM
Howdy There!

Just wanted to get a quick hello in and introduce myself. I have browsed here many times in the past looking for info and load data suggestions. I do not cast anything myself but its looking like I am going to get into it in the near future.

I have been reloading for close to 15 years now but only for a few pistol calibers. Recently I acquired a MEC sizemaster and I am looking to get into shotshell loading mainly using slugs. Thats what sparked my interest in casting. Gotta find a way to feed the old 12ga with slugs that wont break the bank!

I also have a funky project where Im trying to reload some specialty 12ga ammo for the RAS12 shotgun and Im looking to experiment with slugs for those cartridges.

It looks like there is a lot of good info here that I will spend way too many hours soaking it all in.

Thanks for allowing me to be part of the community!

---Jimbo---

Welcome to CB.GL Forum!
:)

Bentstick
05-18-2019, 08:54 PM
Hello
Benstick/Jerry here,doing some reloading 8 months new to the hobby,Been finding casting equipment from my fil's place,we had to put him in a home(Dementia and palsy) and cleaning his place out to move in,found a stash of older casting equipment so figured I better read up and get ready for another aspect of handloading,it will be awhile before I am informed and setup in the house so learning what I can until I can put it into hands on.
Thank you for all the information and time put in for this forum

JBinMN
05-18-2019, 09:12 PM
Hello
Benstick/Jerry here,doing some reloading 8 months new to the hobby,Been finding casting equipment from my fil's place,we had to put him in a home(Dementia and palsy) and cleaning his place out to move in,found a stash of older casting equipment so figured I better read up and get ready for another aspect of handloading,it will be awhile before I am informed and setup in the house so learning what I can until I can put it into hands on.
Thank you for all the information and time put in for this forum

Welcome to the CB.GL Forum!

milo_h
06-21-2019, 07:28 PM
Hey everyone! I'm not a reloader, but I'm starting to get back into firearms after a few years away. I shot as a kid, but I'm looking to get a little more serious these days--maybe even learn how to reload and cast my own. Lookin' forward to reading all the great information you all are posting.

-Milo

1YLDKAT
06-23-2019, 01:35 AM
Getting back into casting after about a 30 year lay off. My life was just too busy for it... got too busy for reloading too, but I'm also back at that. Used to cast for my dad when I was a kid. Moved on to doing it for myself, but always went to his house to do it. He Had a stove in the garage for outdoor cooking, to keep from heating up the house in the Arizona summer. We Cast boolits dipping from the pot into single mould.

This time around I got a Saeco furnace from dad that he had laying around. He also found some of the stuff I used to use and gave to him when I was moving on from casting. He also gave me a bunch of lead to get started with. Still have some gear I need but should be up and running before long.
Ill be picking thru the site for tidbits I can use. Ill be casting for 44 Mag, 45 ACP, 30-30, Muzzleloader 44 cal and 50 cal. Everything else ill be running jacketed in.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this. I'm hoping not to get too sucked in... but I probably will...

Trash Panda
06-23-2019, 02:57 PM
Hello from CA!
Finally taking up reloading after years of halfway attempts (and ridiculous state laws).
I’m into plinking and C&R as well as percussion revolvers.
Going to start slow and go through these buckets of brass I’ve been telling myself I’m going to do something with :)

Conditor22
06-23-2019, 03:13 PM
Welcome to castboolits. I'm PMing you some information and links that should be useful in starting out your journey.

1YLDKAT
06-25-2019, 02:42 AM
I got your PM!!
Helpful stuff right there! After spending too much time reading on this site, and feeling like not enough time doing, I'm smarter than I was, and dumber than I thought, so thanks for that!! As I feared I'm all sucked in to this!
LOL!

Welcome to the fellow newb to this site, Trash Panda!

Elroy
06-27-2019, 03:57 PM
Hello from Jackson Co.WVa,I just registered today.It looks like this is a nice informative forum.

JBinMN
06-27-2019, 09:38 PM
Hello from Jackson Co.WVa,I just registered today.It looks like this is a nice informative forum.

Welcome to Cb.GL forums, Elroy!

A lot to read here. Lots of great info from some real sharp folks. If you want to know about reloading & casting "boolits" , the two of which together, I call, "handloading", you have certainly come to what is probably the best place in the world for info.

If ya do decide to ask a question, please be sure to add as much info in your posting the question or questions. Many times folks will ask a question or questions & not include much of the info necessary to give a proper & knowledgeable question, so then folks have to start asking more questions to actually get to the answer or answers.
;)

And please be sure to add to anything if you have info that others have not yet shared. Most everyone here likes to learn more & sharing the info is what makes the place, the best!
;)

Enjoy!, and once again, Welcome!