View Full Version : Welcome aboard to all new members

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

PatMarlin
02-14-2013, 08:59 PM
More new folks? ...:mrgreen:

Welcome to Cast Boolit Heaven... :drinks:

dwtbay
02-14-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm new to Cast Boolits. I have looked around for sometime. I'm getting back into reloading.
I am looking for an orange Lyman T-Mag, in good shape. Also, 9MM 3 die set and 40 S&W 3 die set
at a reasonable price. Thanks

warthog
02-16-2013, 04:40 AM
I don't really know how I found my way here but I am glad I did. :) Been castin' boolits for twenty years now...

I see folks with NRA thingies on their side plates, being an Endowment Lifer I'm curious as to how this is done? Is there one for the GOA as well, Life member there too. Did I mention I am also a Christian life member of the JPFO (Jews for the Protection of Firearm Ownership)? Yeah, I not only join these places I vote and write to my representatives at the local, state and federal level to let them no NO NEW GUN CONTROL - PERIOD! is how I feel.

Well, that's about it, glad I'm here. ;) Not so sure I am able to add much to all of this talk though. Guess I don't get all technical, I just cast.

strongbow67
02-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Hello there, I joined a short while ago. I have been reloading for 30 years and have cast some in the past,but due to time constraints and raising kids I stopped casting. and just bought cast boolits and the j-word things.I recently started to shoot IDPA and steel challenge this takes a lot of ammo,the bullets from montanna gold were putting me in the poorhouse so it's time to cast again. there is a lot if info here for beginners and experienced alike. Thanks. Brad

Paul's
02-18-2013, 06:26 AM
Hi there, been lurking for a while & have now taken the plunge & joined.
I e been casting my own heads for five years now, and have a lot of equipment I could use some advice on. I'm in the UK and am looking forward to talking to you all!
Thanks,
Paul

GSRacer
02-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Im new here as of 2 weeks ago. Brassmagnet pointed me to the forums here. Im in my 40's and just starting to reload. Purchased brass and powder already. Searching for 9mm primers. Look forward to learning and having fun reloading.

Thanks,
Greg

Recaster
02-19-2013, 12:15 PM
WOW! So much information on this site, starting to learn navigation. I've been shooting for several years, just started reloading. Am very impressed by the vast amount of info here, I'm sure to be able to learn lots more, I've been "lurking" for a little while.

w0fms
02-19-2013, 04:28 PM
GSRacer, with the current "run" because of the Sandy Hook insanity, small pistol primers are less common than 22LR is currently. Good luck. I'm experimenting with small pistol magnum primers (which are unavailable too, but I 'got lucky') and small rifle primers that are still available locally because I don't have many left, either. Reduce the loads-- work up carefully-- if you do that! Good luck and enjoy.

papaw
02-20-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm a new member. I am looking for contact for Marlee Parks. I believe he shoots at Tri Cities in Pasco, Washington

Wal'
02-20-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't really know how I found my way here but I am glad I did. :) Been castin' boolits for twenty years now...

I see folks with NRA thingies on their side plates, being an Endowment Lifer I'm curious as to how this is done? Is there one for the GOA as well, Life member there too. Did I mention I am also a Christian life member of the JPFO (Jews for the Protection of Firearm Ownership)? Yeah, I not only join these places I vote and write to my representatives at the local, state and federal level to let them no NO NEW GUN CONTROL - PERIOD! is how I feel.

Well, that's about it, glad I'm here. ;) Not so sure I am able to add much to all of this talk though. Guess I don't get all technical, I just cast.

Double click your Avatar, this will take you to your profile, go down list to PERMISSION GROUPS click there & tick the groups to join..........easy peasy. LOL

Snow ninja
02-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Just getting back into casting after a spell. Thought I would see what's new out there. Looked at a few different posts before deciding to join. Looks like alot of great info, can't wait.

faze07hd
02-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Fairly new here. Ive been watching for far too long... Love this site!

KinkBreaker
02-25-2013, 01:40 PM
hi im new. have reloaded but new to casting. thank you pipehand for getting me started, you are cooler than opposable thumbs

pipehand
02-25-2013, 04:10 PM
You're quite welcome, KinkBreaker. It was good to see you again. Glad I could help keep the tradition alive--- be sure to pass it on.

Kull
02-26-2013, 01:57 AM
New to casting, dig the site, had to join after lurking for a while.

Pb and J
02-27-2013, 08:38 PM
Hi, I've been reloading for a few years now and I want to get into casting. I'm just starting to accumulate lead so it might be a while until I start pouring my own but I like to read up first.

hey_poolboy
02-28-2013, 09:34 PM
I've been lurking here for a little bit and figured I'd better join up.
Reloading has been a hobby for 12-13 yrs now. I'm interested in learning to cast my own boolits. Started collecting lead, but don't have any other equipment yet.
Hoping to get some advice and learn some stuff here ho make good decisions on starting up.

Hyphenated
03-01-2013, 04:07 PM
New guy here. Long time lurker. Decided I better jump in since I spend so much time here. I'm not new to reloading or casting. You can always teach an old dog new tricks. So I hope to learn lots of new tricks. Who knows, I may have even done something someone else might like to hear about. Thanks for having me along for the ride.

biggc1
03-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Well I'm a new member here and also new to the hobby! Looking forward to casting my first bullet.

tbl-leo
03-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to the casting and reloading world. I have been lurking for that past couple days and really like what I see. Some of the questions I didn't even have yet were answered. I am currently a LEO in Wisconsin and try to shoot every weekend (During warmer months). Due to the shortage of ammo and legislation in the works I decided to spend some money these last couple weeks investing in casting and reloading equipment. I am excited about this new hobby and expect to answer some of my rookie questions if I cannot find the answers already.

tbl-leo

cdet69
03-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Good to have you tbl-leo and welcome to the site.

Cesure
03-12-2013, 12:31 PM
Hello from the Huron National Forest. I haven't cast a boolit yet, but I'm planning to. A guy on another forum sent me here to get edumacated. Apparently there's a great bunch of guys here who tolerate noobs.

Bootheel
03-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Hello everyone, noob from southern New Mexico. Love the site and the relaxed atmosphere. Just getting into reloading (Rockchucker single stage). Loaded some mid-range 44 mag 200 gr XTP's, it did not end well, gonna pull them all. Hope you all don't mind a question or two.

jeo22
03-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Hello Everyone

Just joined your site a few days ago. Looks like a good place to hang out and learn a few new tricks.
I've been reloading (pistol,rifle and shotgun) sence '69 and started casting sometime in the 80's, so I've been at it awhile.
Enjoy it all and have fun doing it.
Sence I retired ,I spend a lot of time on my guns/shooting/reloading/casting hobbies,but I do take off some time to go trout fishing every now and then.:D
An of course there always a prairie dog hunting trip out west every chance I get.
It's tough,but somebody's got to do it,I'll hang with it as long as I can hold up.8-)

John

Noah Mercy
03-16-2013, 08:07 PM
How do, y'all? Just joined up. I've been casting and shooting for quite a few years, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that I for sure don't know it all! I'll be competing in my first Quigley match this year and look forward to picking some brains on this forum so maybe I won't look like Mr. Magoo out on the line...

IROCZ
03-17-2013, 11:10 AM
I finally got enough equipment together to cast my own bullets! So I'll convert from lurker to member! I've been reading here for a while. Great site!

IAShooters
03-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Hey all,

Found this forum through a friend. Just getting started with reloading. Looks like I should have started last year, components are a bit hard to find... :( Hopefully that will get better in a few months.
I shoot IDPA, USPSA, and 3-Gun in Iowa, attended the first 3-gun match for 2013 last weekend in the snow. :)
I started a forum for Iowa clubs and ranges to help spread the word, trying to get more new shooters involved.

psychicrhino
03-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Glad to be here. I learn something new everyday.

JeffG
03-20-2013, 10:07 PM
Great site folks. I cast a lot of round ball and conical for black powder years ago, now getting back into it for 9mm. Looking forward to making alloys and reloading.

trapper300RUM
03-22-2013, 09:44 AM
I just signed up this morning & i already love this forum I am saving up to buy all of the tools ill need to start casting my own bullets for the 9mm & 44 mag . I will have to buy all Lee because I am disabled & on a fixed income Lee makes good casting equipment i use LEE dies in all of my calibers

PULSARNC
03-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Can't remember if I have posted here or not .I have been a member since december of last year when I posted about my Weatherby Vanguard blowup from an apparent SEE. I have been reading the posts for quite a few years and much of what I have learned about casting has come from the good folks here .Seems like every time I had a problem or question i would look and lo and behold there would be the answer almost like magic. I do need to get my post count up to at least 30 as I have realized I have a great deal of 280 rifle brass for which I have no need of and I need to post it in the swap section and trade it off for some 45 acp .

searcher4851
03-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Howdy folks. I've been reloading for more years than I care to discuss. I've loaded cast for most of that time, but never cast myself. (I had an mutually beneficial arrangement with a friend who cast) My friend has passed on, and my stockpile is depleting, so I'm taking up casting for myself.
I've been reading here for a while and really enjoy the wealth of knowledge so readily passed on by the members here. You seem like a really great group, and I'm happy to become a member.

40-82 hiker
03-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Been a member a short while now. I've been shooting and loading many years, but am on the backside of a long hiatus. Will be casting boolits for .45ACP, .40-82, .45-70, and .40-65. Was buying boolits molded and lubed, but can't afford that anymore. I used to cast in the 60s and early 70s, but have not done so since. What was I thinking? Got a lot of work to do now to catch up...

I cannot believe the generosity of time, materials, and knowledge of the members of this site. I hope I can contribute as well.

Carlsoncaster
03-27-2013, 12:39 AM
I am new to the casting world. I am happy to find a place with so many helpful people.

Thanks for the site

Pipedoc
03-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Hello all. New to the forum. I'm looking to get into casting. I've been readimg for awhile and figured it was finally time to join this great forum. I am a plumber and have been saving scrap lead for awhile now. I just cast about 100 pounds of ingots last weekend and am looking forward to casting my first bullets. I still have to order equipment but I am having some difficulty finding equipment in stock. Not that primers or powders are in abundance anyway. :)

Bzcraig
03-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Been lurking for months as I have become addicted! I will never look at brass on the ground or weights on a rim like I used to. I'm not one to join forums but have found this one an invaluable tool. Having only cast about 3k boolits, I have nothing to bring to the table except my thanks to all of you for providing the information and pics necessary for a newbie to become a full blown addict.

Larry D.
04-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Hello all.
I've been doing a ton of reading here lately as this site always pops up when I search the subject of casting. I've been slowly gathering the stuff I need to start, and I'm already casting ingots in preparation to begin casting projo's as soon as the molds arrive.
I'd like to thank everyone for the advice already given, and an advance thanks to those who will (I hope) answer all my dumb rookie questions in the future.

Larry
Buckeye, AZ

ReloaderLarry
04-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Howdy !

Thanks for lettin me in !

Just gonna peruse for a little bit, and start off looking for that slug mould I've always dreamed of !

Anonym
04-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Hello from another new member. Just getting this reloading stuff under control when supplies went bonkers. Now I am going to see about the art of boolit casting to keep me reloading! Looks like a great site with lots of knowledge and wisdom...

Anonym

Ruber
04-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Hey all,

Checking in from San Diego. I get directed over here from other forums from time to time, so I thought I'd sit a spell. My main interest in CB right now is for silhouette matches, but that changes from time to time too.

Ruber

2old2play
04-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Long time listener, first (second) time caller. Been here on and off for a while. I thought an official hello from me was overdue. Glad to be here.

2old2play

9w1911
04-18-2013, 12:57 AM
ugh I have the bug bad now , great forum even greater hobby, not sure this is a hobby

BucketBack
04-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Hello from Michigan. I'm just trying to load lead 9mm's now and will get into casting at a later date. I'll stock up on materials and tools first while taking in all this info.

jabo52521
04-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Welcome aboard to all. LMAO To late to back out now. This is a hobby that really latches on. Good folk here to help you get thru it.

papaw
04-20-2013, 05:09 PM
I think I will really enjoy the fellowship on the forum.
Papaw

remington 3200
04-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Hello to all from MD's eastern shore. Lots of good info here. I have been lurking and decided to come out of the shadows. J

Dannmann801
04-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Greetings from Ohio!
I think this is just a step in becoming a well-rounded sportsman - if you're gonna shoot, you need to learn to reload.
And if you're gonna reload, you're just gonna hafta learn to cast bullets.

My wife is just shaking her head and wondering what's going to be next....

LC Press
04-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Welcome Dannmann801. We have a friend in common...Beentown ;)

leather2
05-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Received my first MP mold yesterday seems like a masterpiece

Dannmann801
05-07-2013, 12:46 PM
Welcome Dannmann801. We have a friend in common...Beentown ;)

Dang if'n we don't! He's a great guy, pretty smart too.

Bzcraig
05-08-2013, 01:30 AM
how do you tell which are the 'unread' posts?

TangoDownPro
05-09-2013, 05:20 PM
I am a member of CO-AR15 and was referred to this site by a fellow member. I have recently decided to start casting to extend my hobby of reloading & shooting. So far, I have found a wealth of knowledge and information just by sifting through the forums. Best wishes to you all & please excuse my ignorance as I may bombard the forums with questions as I get going. :grin:

zidave
05-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Hello all from beautiful Alabama. I'm Dave and I've been reloading for a few months now so I figured it seemed fit that I start looking into casting my own bullets. I love shooting on the cheap

waksupi
05-10-2013, 12:09 AM
I love shooting on the cheap

If you want to stay cheap, stay away from group buys, and the swapping forum! A guy could go broke in there! Welcome aboard, and lock up your check book.

zidave
05-10-2013, 12:10 AM
If you want to stay cheap, stay away from group buys, and the swapping forum! A guy could go broke in there! Welcome aboard, and lock up your check book.

Haha, thanks for the tip

Malgus
05-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Howdy from Kentucky! Been fiddling with casting boolits for a year or two and found this place totally by accident... Got some rifles and pistols that need feedin', so I guess I should actually try to know what I'm doing, yeah?

We live on The Bourbon Trail..... favorite is Four Roses..

Mal

1/3 Bravo Warrior
05-13-2013, 09:17 PM
New blood here, I've been lurkin' around the forum off, and on. If you guys know Ammosmith's video's on YT, well. That's the man who started my new found addiction. I'm an Avid Mil Surp collector, sort of a purist for those at heart. By all means do what you wish with them. Everyone has tastes. I've been loading, and casting for about a year, although my obligation to the USMC cut into it alot. I was with 1/3Bravo Co, stationed in Hawaii. I'll be truthful here, as Marines never Cheat, Steal, or lie. I only spent a year, and four months to my obligation. Unfortunately with the powers that be, I was discharged under "Adjustment Disorder". I still don't know where I lost my way. Truthfully, I miss my Marines, think about them everyday, I wish things had been different. Anyhow, enough with that. I'm here to share how far I've come into the sorcery that is reloading. So far, I've learned much, but I want more.

I reload for the following Calibers.
7.62x54R
7.62x38R (7.62 Nagant)
.38 Special (My favorite)
.45Auto
I cast all my boolits, except for .38, haven't got the mould in yet.
The firearms I cast for are.
M91/30 1934 Hex rec. Low walled-gave to my brother for a shooter, instead of using his 1894.
M91 Circa 1894 Hex, High walled (Bought this one for my older brother, after I was discharged)- never been taken out, preserving the history!
M44 1944, great bore. Best I've seen. I don't run surplus through this one).
RIA M1911A1 GI .45Auto
Charter Arms "off duty" .38 Special
1934 Nagant Revolver for my brother, so he has the whole shebang! Now he only needs a Ushanka! Lol.

I've ranted enough, I will continue to post, drink my late night coffee, and wait for my Pat Marlins Gas Check maker to arrive. I cannot wait! This Marine never sleeps anymore... We pulled crazy hours in the Infantry, and I have yet to adjust too being home.

Take care all, Good night & Semper Fi!

Old Tom
05-14-2013, 03:48 AM
G'Day from Australia, just joined up, hoping to glean some wisdom on reloading cast boolits.

col.cracker
05-16-2013, 02:54 AM
Hello all,
Just getting back into my favourite of hobbies, well ok, second of favourite hobbies.
Here to learn all I can and especially about loading to feed my two wildcats, .458x2 and .50 Alaskan
I lean towards the teachings of Elmer Keith, big hole, lots of blood, little tracking.
I am a short distance hunter, 50-150 yards any more. I like to make one shot and have them drop in ten yards or less.
I got lots to learn about cast boolits, but I used to cast for my .50 muzzleloader, so I understand temps, slag, and don't drop it in water!!!
With all that said, I'm here to listen.

comanchejoe
05-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Ho all new to this site thought I would try it been shooting for ever and casting and reloading since 74 oh I mean 1974

fortysomething
05-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Hello from Michigan (near the capitol). Registered at the beginning of the month, been hangin' around reading quite a bit. Looks like a great place . I have already learned a lot.

lka
05-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Hi, just joined, sorry if I upset some libtards ;)

I cast and load everything I shoot + what my dad shoots + what my brothers shoot, lol

Full Mold Jack
05-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Been lurkin for a bit and thought I'd join in, I have limited casting experience mostly BP balls and 12GA slugs but have shot a fair chunk of other peoples undersized and too hard boolits in various guns.

I have some more kit on order to feed my new .45 Colt there's an awesome wealth of knowledge and information here, great place.

Coug91
05-24-2013, 01:30 AM
Hi - Finally bought a membership after lurking and learning for a few months. I cast my own bullets so I could afford to shoot in college, then got out of the habit for a few years. Built a 300BLK on the idea of shooting cats bullets again. Bought a NOE 311247 and cast up a few bullets. Now to just find the time to load and shoot.

TX.shotgun01
06-08-2013, 10:33 PM
I have only been here for a few weeks and have met some reloaders that have helped me find stuff to help me get started good in loading for my self, I would like to say Thanks to them and look to do more trades with them and others. Happy Reloading and Safe Shooting
Thanks Tom

NWPrecision
06-24-2013, 06:44 PM
Hi everyone!! Where I have been living the last few years, I've read some forums but never joined. This site is exactly what I have been looking for. I will try to learn the dos and don'ts quickly.

boltons75
06-28-2013, 03:37 AM
Hi everyone!! Where I have been living the last few years, I've read some forums but never joined. This site is exactly what I have been looking for. I will try to learn the dos and don'ts quickly.

You'll like this bunch here, and if you stick around you'll be casting boolits to use in those upper receivers that your making for those great prices.

boltons75
06-28-2013, 03:37 AM

You'll like this bunch here, and if you stick around you'll be casting boolits to use in those upper receivers that your making for those great prices.

NWPrecision
06-28-2013, 04:12 PM
We are new to the forum world at least for being a member and not just a viewer. This place so far has a very family like feel and we look forward to learning and sharing with the wealth of knowledge that I have seen on here so far. A little bit about us.... We are NorthWest Custom Precision. We are a family owned business with old school family values. We have branched out and 5 of us have started a new business with our years of machining experience with the love of guns and freedoms this country was founded on to bring you a great quality product at a price everyone can afford. We look forward to the future, we are growing expenentially everyday and can't wait to be a known name in the AR world!! Thanks for the warm welcomes!!
Rob
Team NW Precision

49willys
06-29-2013, 06:01 PM
This site comes up quite a bit while searching cast bullet load data,imagine that,so I figured id just sign up and get the full experience.

boltons75
06-30-2013, 01:33 AM
This site comes up quite a bit while searching cast bullet load data,imagine that,so I figured id just sign up and get the full experience.

Beware, you will get addicted to this place......welcome

dromia
07-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Hi and welcome to all you newcomers.

Get stuck in and share and contribute, that is what makes this place work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Misc/ff535997-f40a-4b0d-a3b4-6bc25e9ea44b.jpg

hardware
07-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Hello to everyone. Bad Water Bill has been telling me for.... probably four years if a day to join up, and I'm finally getting enough round tuits to do so. I have always enjoyed his stories of how nice and helpful most here are, and I finally decided to see for myself from a first hand view point, instead of just getting stories from him when I call or fire off an email his way. By the by, I'm also Bill's 'punk kid', half of his grey hair, and the rascal who occasionally takes control of his computer to try and make it behave when it's being less than cooperative.

s mac
07-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Hello all, joined a while back, haven't had much to contribute, but have learned a lot. You seem like my kind of folk.

nessus
07-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Been lurking at this website for a while, figured it was time to join. Lotsa good information here.

PatMarlin
07-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Welcome... :drinks:

RAHatto
07-30-2013, 05:00 AM
Hey all
I'm new to reloading and this is the site i've been looking for. I am retiring from active duty and going to be putting down roots and building a house in Liberty South Carolina before the new year. Ive got a Lee Load Master on order and will be waiting for me to set it up. I'm going to start casting shortly after we get settled in for 233, 357/38, and 9mm. Reloading and casting has a huge start up cost so I'm trying to buy little by little as I go. I'll be reading and learning as I go so I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions as I get started. I look forward to visiting often and meeting you all. If anyoone is in the pickens county area please pm me as I would like to meet up and get advise on the right way to set things up. later all.

Taylor3006
08-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Howdy all. Been reloading a long while (9mm, 308, 357, 38sp, 223, 45ACP) and wanted to try some casting since bullets have gotten so dang expensive. Also starting up reloading 12ga and looking to cast some slugs. Have quite a bit of brass, reloading equipment, gun mags, and other firearm related stuff to trade or sell when I get my 25 posts in.

SourMashII
08-11-2013, 01:03 AM
Just joined.

Own no reloading equipment yet, save my lee 20# smelting pot...

I shoot .44 Cap and ball, .45 ACP.. She shoots .223 Remmie and .40 S&W.

Looking forward to casting, reloading, and expanding the cap and ball to .45LC cylinder conversion.

T-Dogg
08-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Howdy all, new member here from TX. Been reloading for a while, looking to start casting for .38/.357 and 9mm. I've already gained much knowledge from this forum, looking forward to learning more.

monmouth
08-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Hello community,

I lurked on this site for some now and happy to be a member. I reload and a complete noob to casting. Looking forward to learning about this fine craft.

dromia
08-14-2013, 04:26 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/Misc/ff535997-f40a-4b0d-a3b4-6bc25e9ea44b.jpg

To you all and thanks for posting.

redleg1013
08-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Hi there, figured I'd quit lurking and pull up a chair. I've been reloading for a couple of years now and looking to mebbe start casting my own boolits to keep costs down and keep me out of trouble.

Dean D.
08-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Welcome Redleg!

Browningshooter
08-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Ive been lurking and learning here for awhile now. What an amazing resource ive found in this forum! Thanks all!
-Will

JWNathan
09-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Hey all, been a lurker for years but finally joined. Been reloading for 15 or so years and casting for about 2 after my pops started doing it for his long range cowboy stuff. I've mainly cast for my handguns but really want to dip into rifle casting for my various milsurps. I've really enjoyed it and it's lots of fun.....oh and cheap! Well until I started buying extra moulds besides by basic must haves. So thanks for this great site and all the friendly folks.
-Jesse

brassballs
09-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Hello All ! New guy here. Still in Ca. but now moving north to Redding so almost out! If the State of Jefferson deal goes thru I will be out of Californication!

I'm a reloader and a metals guy. Work in scrap , so I collect and sell a lot of lead and alloys for lead. Also polish and sort lost of brass to get the stuff I reload. Been known to cast a few bullets along the way too.

Good info to be found here, glad I'm here.

PatMarlin
09-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Welcome.

Just remember- no shooting off the Sundial Bridge at night... :mrgreen:

arrowhead01
09-17-2013, 09:23 AM
I'm a new member here but not new to the shooting sports. Thought I would take advantage of the knowledge available here.

dromia
09-18-2013, 12:53 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/adamsutherland/WDIL%20Smilies/welcomewave.gif

Rainier
09-25-2013, 01:47 PM
New guy here on the left coast - I've been reading the great helpful posts for a few months and like many others before me decided I'd better sign up. Started casting last year and really enjoy the satisfaction of shooting my own boolits. I shoot mostly my 1911's and my Single action revolvers - it's great fun and wouldn't wanna give it up.

andreadavide
09-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Buona Sera a tutti!
Andrea from Pisa, Tuscany here. Yes, for those who will ask, it's the place where a civil engineering blunder made the fortune of generations of souvenir sellers.

Anyway, after a misspent youth in archery and after a few years in the Italian armed forces (still in the reserve and being called in service an average three weeks a year) I settled down in the same place for more than a year and was able to get a firearms permit a few years ago and then the fun started.

Bar shotguns, that I don't fancy, I tend to have fun with almost any thermoballistic pipework.

From the P10 (currently alternating a FWB103, a Pardini P10 and an Izzy), very cheap, very technical (i.e. if you don't get the 10 it's all your fault, not of the weapon), to muzzleloaders (ranging from an original Swiss Federal Carbine of 1851 to a Parker Hale volunteer replica) my true passion, to milsurp rifles and pistols, I am trying to get all the flavours of the menu, with the added fun of thinkering with ammo.

I hope to learn more in a friendly environment here.

that's it

Ciao a tutti!

Andrea

histed
10-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Just joined this group. Never cast a boolit for anything but a flinchlock. Howsomever, this seems a good time to start and, after lurking for several months, this seems to be the place to find information and answers. I've been reloading for a long time (20+ years) and usually shoot store-bought boolits in my revolver, but bullets from my rifles. Looking to change that soon. Ordering a furnace, molds, and other equipment as funding allows.

Old Scribe
10-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Howdy from the State of Jefferson, where we are still free...sorta. I've been casting RB's for years and just started casting for my hand guns. The first batch didn't look so good. I hope to learn some of the finer points here. Thanks for the posts.

PatMarlin
10-18-2013, 11:54 AM
Welcome aboard OS.

We are the freest nation in the world. Even California. Lots of people forget that... :drinks:

Kekoa
10-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Hello castboolits forum crew. New member here checking in. I am new to reloading and would like to learn to cast boolits also, everything is hard to get where I live, Kauai, Hawaii so I figure I better learn to make em' myself. I look forward to the venture and the education I will receive here with you guys!

colt38
10-21-2013, 08:44 PM
First time poster, long time lurker. I've spent many enjoyable hours reading this forum. I decided I need to register and be counted among the membership!

colt38

kawasakifreak77
10-23-2013, 04:51 AM
Been lurking here for awhile, beenn thinking about casting my own boolits (did I say it right?)

I've reloaded since my dad taught m as a boy. Always been a wheelgun guy (.357mag) & shoot almost nothing but cast in them. Also shoot .45acp cast now, along with 300blk subs. I've tinkered with pop gun loads in a 30-30 too, that ended up being pure death for bunnys on the farm & getting new shooters into a 'real rifle'

So I've slung a bit of lead! :)

Got a project mauser carbine with no back sight & a cheesy fiberglass stock. It's pretty darn light so I'm not interested in full power loads. I read that the 8mm is a good boolit shooter so I think it'd be a fun project. I like little bolt action carbines & it was free so what the hey.

I ran across a thread talking about 'the load' which I want to try since I have a bucket of red dot that needs burned. So here I am.

Funnily enough, I ran into this cool old dude at the range this morning that used to cast. Told me to come by anytime so hopefully soon I'll be pouring my own!

silverbear
10-29-2013, 01:22 AM
I too have been lurking on this site. Once I found it, I have been reading and learning a lot. The amount of info and consideration of all involved I feel is exceptional. I have been reloading since the 70s and just recently decided to try my hand at casting. I have quite a learning curve to straighten out. Thanks to all of you for the effort you are putting forth to help us new guys.

Comrade Mike
10-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Hey everyone, just joined. If you frequent other forums you may recognize me, I'm the same Comrade Mike from everywhere else.

Long time lurker, finally thought I'd join. Right now I shoot a lot of precast stuff out of my handguns. My main reason for an interest in casting is my collection. I'm a big time milsurp collector, and I love to shoot my collection. Only thing is jacketed bullets and large powder charges add up, and lead bullets are easier on the barrel and the shoulder. So I'm here to ask dumb questions and learn what I can about casting for rifles. I've read about "the load" before and am intrigued to learn more! Plus, something about a cast lead bullet just looks so natural to me.

Currently I don't have the free time to cast much if at all. So I'm mainly here to soak up information and annoy everyone. Hope no one minds :D I've also noticed some members sell their cast bullets. Not having the time to learn the hands on of casting just yet, I'd be more than happy to buy from other members of the community :D

Lueftl
11-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Hello all,

as I am now just lurking in here for some time, I thought it might be time to introduce myself. I am a tad over 50, german (or describe it better as Bavarian) and reloading for some rifles and pistols since the late '70ties. Although I am not casting myself yet, i do prefer to load and shoot lead cast bullets for my pistols. Unluckily it becomes harder and harder to find decent casted lead bullets over here which are not pressed and covered with copper or plastics. So I guess, in the future I will have to jump into casting boolits myself. I am very confident, that I might learn a lot from your experience in this matter, at least I did find a tremendous amount of knowledge here. Thanks for sharing! It makes beginners lifes so much easier!!!!

Kindest regards

Lueftl

TexasBubba
11-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Thank You everybody. I have enjoyed the conversations and great casting knowledge. I've had success from my first casting session thanks to Y'all. I hope to contribute something to the community that has helped me so much.

copterdoctor
11-03-2013, 09:57 PM
New guy here. I've been shooting for about 55 years, reloading for about 15 years. I was guided here by some of the people over on northeastshooters.com. Nice folks there.
I started buying casting equipment and reading and watching youtube videos.
So much to learn. So much to learn.....

Oddbod
11-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Hi
Brit currently on holiday in NM (I'm over a couple of times a year).
For obvious reasons I do more shooting (& ALL my handgun shooting:( ) in the US than in the UK.
Mostly use cast bullets for handgun; .45ACP in the 1911 & Ruger GP100 .38spl/357mag, plus anything else I can get my hands on.:grin:
I like reloading "almost" as much as shooting, though business means I rarely have enough time for either except when I escape to this side of the Pond.

dromia
11-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Welcome to another member from the UK.

Oddbod
11-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Welcome to another member from the UK.

Full-Bore?

dromia
11-24-2013, 01:47 PM
As well. :grin:

P.J.Plinkerton
11-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Hi all, joined a little bit ago but still mostly just lurking. So much to read and absorb. I figured I'd stop in and say hello.
I live in a Colorado gold rush town that's now fully engaged in mining folks wallets by way of slot machines. Yup, I work in a casino.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have some reading to do.
P.J.

pal82
12-05-2013, 04:39 PM
I joined the forum 6 months ago. I't time to dive in a join the conversation. I'm a 20 year handgun shooter and reloader. I began casting 1 year ago, when for the first time I couldn't find a box of bullets any where in town. Now I'm a lead melting convert.
Chris

Badger Matt
12-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Retired from the USAF a year-and-a-half ago after 28 years. Teaching at a local high school and finally have time to take up bullet casting. The missus ordered all I think I'll need...and I'll be back with lots of questions soon.

Tradhunter
12-07-2013, 09:49 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking for a while now. You guys have a lot
of information. Not sure if I will cast or not but I definitely
enjoy shooting and hunting with them.

kootne
12-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Hi all, new to the site, have been casting bullets though for 35 years. Started will a 22 hornet and 357 double action Ruger, moved to -06 and 30/30. About 30 years ago I figgered "why not shoot rifles that were designed for cast bullets"? Shot old black powder rifles ever since; hunting, competition and mostly just for fun and therapy.

kootne

HawkCreek
12-08-2013, 03:54 AM
Hello all! I've been shootin for a lot of years but just recently bought a reloader. I'm not up to casing my own yet but I'm looking to get into it for the options it adds. Mostly just here to learn and jump on a group buy or two.

Currently using some VA benefits to get some school done and working on the ranch the rest of the time.

I keep to the same name on all the forms I belong to if that matters.

gatekeeper
12-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Great site with a wealth of knowledge. I've been lurking here long time reading and researching casting,coatings, equipment, alloys etc, finally signed up.
Recently purchased all the equipment I need to cast and coat my own for uspsa pistol competition. Fairly large investment, but it should pay for itself in short order given the 15-20k bullets I usually purchase per year. Best reason is no more bullet shortages to concern myself with!
Haven't melted anything yet, but I will... soon:mrgreen:

ShipDate
12-14-2013, 01:50 PM
I want to take a minute to say thank you to everyone that posts here and for all of the information that exists on the art of casting.

I entered this business of casting with the question of whether or not lead bullets would even work. In my mind it was outdated technology that was best left to old men using old guns. Full metal jacketed bullets were the only thing that would work as required. Boy was I wrong.

I started with a single tumble lubed 9mm round that would lead the barrel like crazy. I’ve since moved on to using nothing but cast boolits in all of my handgun shooting. Tumble lube gave way to a Lube Sizer. Purchased lube sticks have been replaced by homemade lube. Even the full metal jacketed rounds that I use in my AK are being supplemented by a gas checked cast 7.62x39. I am now starting to get interest in mixing my own alloys. Where does it end? And I’d have to say that the vast majority of the information and ideas that I have used have come from this site.

So thanks. Much appreciated.

Jäger
12-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Hello everyone! I am another Bavarian from Germany. I've been living in the states for a long time though and I'm in New Hampshire now. I'm getting into reloading and would like to start casting my own bullets. I like taking things apart and putting them back together (I also like to lift things up and put them down). I'm getting into casting my own because I like making things.

Prost :drinks:

woodsxdragon
12-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Merry Christmas!
I got a pot and a mold last year around this time and started a new job and moved. Kind of forgot about it. long story short I found a decent amount of lead that I think I can keep getting from and figured I might as well join in case I run into some problems or see a deal or something that I'd just have to jump on.

A-team
12-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Hello from NC. I am a longtime handloader and bullet caster. I grew up watching and learning from my father. I enjoy learning more and there is a lot of good information here.

Rev_les
01-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Happy New Year, I thought I had signed up a while back until I tried to log in:confused:. I know there's a few guys here that are on Bersachat as well. I've been lurking a while now, and recently got into casting. So far I've made boolits for the .380s and .223s. Thanks for such an informative site, Cheers!!

Jr.
01-03-2014, 05:17 AM
Figured I'd throw my comment in here as well, just looking for information I typed in a search for Swaging information and low and behold CASTBOOLITS! I looked elsewhere as well but always found myself looking here so I joined up after I couldn't contain my excitement anymore. Not casting or swaging yet but am extremely interested this is right up my alley, I just love to tinker.... Looking for the best information available and I think I have found it.... Now to figure out what to buy first to get started..[smilie=1:

gondwana
01-04-2014, 04:01 PM
I am a newbie to this board but an old bullet caster. Joined the board last year and I have to say the wealth of knowledge and experience I have discovered here is more valuable than gold. Bullet casting is something that has meets various requirements, not just economy and the pure joy of making it yourself. Casting is synonymous with a time when we were all closer to nature and less prone to the distractions of modern technology. Thanks in advance to all of you, I look forward to learning and sharing as much as I can.

poacher
01-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Afternoon all,

Thought I'd join up and sit a spell. I don't cast but I'm a Board Founder over on Handloadersbench.com and since we seem to share alot of the same people I thought I'd take a min and join up. I'll probably do a lot of reading and maybe a little posting in the areas that I do know (which if you ask the wife) isn't much. Been shooting for many years and loading since about 89 or so. Which means that at this point I know just enough to be truly dangerous. At some point I may get into casting but right now with kids and all any time I can squeeze out to escape into the reloading room is precious.

Anyway thanks for having me look forward to chattin with ya all.

Take care Be safe Poacher.

OKSaddletramp
01-07-2014, 03:34 PM
I guess this is where we introduce ourselves, so here goes.

I first got introduced to reloading in 1968 by my father. We would go to the local trap range and scrounge the barrels for discarded paper Winchester shells and used a Lee loader and homemade wads to make up rounds for me to practice with. I used those "practice" rounds to win quite a few local trap shoots while in high school, and still have that same Lee Loader today.

After graduating High School in 1973, I joined the Air Force, and for a while, shooting and reloading opportunities (non-military related) were scarce. I didn't pick it up again until 1977, after returning from Germany. This is when I first got my taste of casting. Partly because the guy teaching me casting knew less than I did, and partly because of a lack of proper equipment, and partly because commercial bullets were cheap and plentiful, i gave it up and concentrated on improving my skills at reloading. I will say in this regard that I have not purchased more than two boxes of pistol ammo (mostly to replenish lost/damaged brass) since the summer of 1978.

While I've owned a T/C Contender for about 25 years, I've only recently gotten more involved in actual rifle shooting. A couple of years ago, I bought a T/C Encore in 50X209 to extend my hunting opportunities, and it came with a .308 spare barrel. This year I bought my first AR. I never cared for them in the military, but a friend had me try his at the range, and i found I liked it, so took the plunge. I hope in the near future to pick up a Mosin variant, as that was even more fun to shoot than the AR.

Now with ammo prices/scarcity being what they are, I think it's time to give casting another try. I've been reading this board, and others, exhaustively, and am ready to take the plunge. I will have many questions as I go along (already have two or three in mind), and would like to thank the Mods and others for the wealth of experience that they have chosen to share with the rest of us.

Saddle http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/2455.gif

P.S. I currently shoot/reload 9mm, .38Special, .44Special/Magnum, .45ACP, 30/30. I will be reloading .223Remington/5.56, .308Win/7.62NATO and, hopefully, 7.62X54R (and maybe even 7.62X39) and casting round ball for my .44 Navy revolver.

mikeliphurts
01-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Hi everyone im new to this site. And just saying hi.

lukeyduke
01-10-2014, 12:55 AM
New guy here, referred by a friend. New to casting and but not reloading. Look forward to learning some new things.

JWFilips
01-10-2014, 09:50 PM
I sure would like new members to list where they are from in their CP.... Don't have To be exact ........but please get us close to your local. Just like to know where you are located!

UncleDave
01-10-2014, 11:29 PM
I have been lurking for some time, but have decided to join in on the fun. I have learned a lot already, and can see that there is a whole new world to learn. Thanks for your generous sharing of knowledge here.

waksupi
01-11-2014, 12:44 AM
I sure would like new members to list where they are from in their CP.... Don't have To be exact ........but please get us close to your local. Just like to know where you are located!

Ditto, please go to your profiles, and add a location.

OBIII
01-11-2014, 12:59 AM
Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride. It can be rocky at times, but always fun and a learning experience. Oh, and I triple dog dare all of you to at least publish in your Profile what state you are in. Lot's of members from all around the world use this forum, and some of them could be near you!

OB

Cemotoman
01-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Hello, new poster/member from SWMichigan.
Been casting, loading and shooting lead bullets a lot longer than I been using a computer
Still listening, still learning new stuff.
Cemoto

mechanicus
01-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Hello from Florida, where it got all the way down to the 40's today. (Wait till July and the heat index is 110, you can make fun back)
I started casting a bit over a year ago. I wasn't happy with the prices I was paying for 44 bullets and the local place that sells cast makes them a bit undersized and hard for my taste. I lucked in to some old Ideal molds, 429348 and 429244 with handles at a local gunshow and started casting up with Rotometal 1:16, Lee push through sizer and pan lubing. I've picked up a lee TL309-230-5R which I fear is giving me issues, see my next thread for more details.

Nikolaus
01-19-2014, 01:50 AM
New member here. I have been lurking for a while soaking up the information. I have not actually cast anything yet but am building up supplies. With commercial ammo prices and availability so low I took the reloading plunge. Successfully reloading .223, 9mm, and .45acp. So the next logical step is casting!

Explorer
01-20-2014, 10:26 PM
New Member here. I got started when my Dad told me how much fun it would be to pour so,e WW up into one pound ingots. Not unlike Tom Sawyer and painting the white fence.
Glad to be here from Northwest Florida.

PatMarlin
01-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Welcome... :drinks:

Mr.remington
01-21-2014, 03:49 PM
Hello I'm new to the site. Wow information overload lol I have minimal casting experience. I cast mostly round balls for muzzleloading and some Minnie balls as well as bullets got my 577 snider. What a great site. Thanks for the join.

Wasalmonslayer
01-21-2014, 09:36 PM
Hello all I just joined here but have been lurking a while. This is a fantastic site for info. I have been reloading for 15 years and in last 5-6 got into casting. It is a very addictive hobby. I truly enjoy this site it has given me so much info on questions I have had. I have not even needed to ask a question some else has already experienced most of my issue's and there are answers already you just have to keep reading.
I truly appreciate this site and keep the good info rolling. I

Thanks
Wasalmonslayer

GSP4EVER
01-23-2014, 11:23 AM
Good morning from the freezer (AKA Minnesota). I am not quite a newbie caster yet. I am researching and learning before I dive into it. I posted a question about getting started over at handloaders bench and was told this is the place to be and to learn. I don't say much, but hopefully I can be of use and lend some knowledge at some point. Have a good day.

Dolton916
01-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Hello from the frozen tundra of Northern Indiana! Been lurking a bit trying to learn a little bit more about casting.

dcoleago
02-03-2014, 09:45 PM
Hello, new to the forum, and protocol on any forum, just like joining any club says I need to introduce myself. I generally like to follow protocol. I may be new to the forum, but not so to casting. I contracted the disease about three years ago, already have about a dozen Lee molds and decided if I was going to branch out I needed to get some guidance. Strange, this casting hobby; I will go to the range, and the first thing I do is look for brass. I have been known to stop in the street, or make a block, to go back and pick up a wheel weight. There is no cure, unless there is no more lead to be found anywhere. Anyway, I will just mainly lurk around and pick up what tips and useful information I can for awhile, and post when I feel like there is something I can actually add to a thread.

David

Littleton Shot Maker
02-04-2014, 03:58 AM
well, I am new forum member, been here many times to read what other folks are doing out there in the world.
My dad got me into the casting - loading- shooting very early, pour my first lead soldier when I was less than 10? started shooting 22's at 9-10, competed in some Jr matches at 11- or 12, Old man tricked me too, but in a way that was different. He was shooting 44mag in several styles of competition, bullseye, etc. he would Pay me per 100 bullet count ( at 16-17) I am at home, with rcbs molds , rcbs pot or lee pot? or both, we burned up 3 or 4 other them, then living close to Magma my dad got US the master caster, then 6 months later out 1st bullet master, then we started to sell them at gun shows, gun stores, retailed out the front of (or back ) of his car. Gas was cheap, my labor was cheap.

then it got crazy, 4 bullets masters, pallets of lead, 14-16k pound two times a year or more, 6 years later we realized we did not have time to go shoot any more for fun. Our hobby took over all our time and money, energy etc...When Lathrops stopped loading, Jensen's closed the doors, that was 90% of the business, we slowly closed the doors and moved off far away.

Years go by, I did a stint for my Uncle Sam, and tried the bullet thing again in Wa. that was ok for a while but it's cold there so again back to Az. bur not before buying into the idea I could make shot at ( it was 18.50 a bag then) home, so I sorta forced Jerry Littleton to sell out to us and since then that's what I do now. Not make shot, make the machines that make the shot.

and stay home and watch my kids get bigger. Lucky I have a wife with great job, leaves the house every day, so I am cook, driver, shopper of food, in house Corpsman for the family, security for the house, etc.

glad to see so many folks into this stuff now. in 1985 other than my father there was no one around me- us that had any help to offer and sometimes, due to age differences some guys would not even consider it anything but a waste of time to help so punk kid to learn to make lead bullets. no web sites, no forums, a few books, that are a hard read for some people, like me. So this is a great place I hope to be able to help not hurt the site and maybe just add a little to it too, thank you all.

And Thank you to all those WHO served willingly or not to defend our liberties and rights. I am sorry that it seems as if they fought and died for what we have now, but would they be happy with the way it has all turned out, these times we are in now?

knobster
02-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Good morning all. I found this place awhile ago via The Handloaders Bench forum. Got into bullet casting about a year ago and most of my questions are answered in these pages. So I decided to 'bite the boolit' and join. Looking forward to poking around a bit more.

Blanco
02-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Been here for a while lurking.
Finally decided to make a post. Just recently got back into reloading after a long break. Went whole hog and now have 3 Lee Load Master progressives (pistol cal) and a classic cast turret.
I have bullet molds a gas powered cast iron meltin rig and about 400lb of lead. I'm itchin to make my first bullets, but its just been a bit too cold .... 17deg in DFW this morning!!!
I did just do some experimentation with a new ultrasonic cleaner for my brass. I believe that I have a homemade cleaning solution that works very well. I am getting cases clean inside and out in 2~3 min. ( I am willing to share that recipe if anyone is interested?)
Anyhow you may be seeing more of me as this site seems to have it all !!!

user55645
02-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Hello to all.
I've been casting book its for maybe 7 yes now. I've learned a ton from this site over the years and wondered why I've never joined. Well, there's no better time than the present. I just hope I can offer a small percentage to the knowledge I've already gained.

Thank you

Bad Water Bill
02-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Welcome and pull up a chair.

Remember the learning never stops.

dromia
02-07-2014, 03:00 AM
A big

To all our new members.

Bad Water Bill
02-07-2014, 03:18 AM
A big

To all our new members.

What language is that?

Even Girty knows we spell it "WELCOME" over here. :kidding:

dromia
02-07-2014, 09:09 AM
There had to be a reason I got the mat so cheap.

Its actually on the threshold of my armoury.

larrupin
02-11-2014, 08:37 PM
I actually joined in 2011 and have just been reading off and on.
I have never had a forum have so much on it that I found so tremendously interesting.

I have spent so many hours reading just lately as I am finally pulling the trigger to start casting.

Thanks to all the folks that contribute so much great info to this site!

larrupin

Round ball
02-14-2014, 04:22 AM
I've been lurking for a short time. Interested in learning paper patching bullets and looking to get into BPCR. I shoot muzzleloaders often but have centerfire rifles and reload for them. Variety keeps it interesting. Can never have too many unless your single.

scaevola
02-17-2014, 02:54 AM
Hey all, I've lurked here but not much. I just got back into reloading and expect I'll soon be deep into it again. I sold most of my stuff back about '98 before leaving AZ but the cost of ammo has driven me back to loading. Starting with .44 and .357 magnums - 10mm will probably be next.

Chakta
02-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Howdy Gents! I am new to this place sort of but I am back now, I hope for a long long time. I been under the weather (almost under the ground) however I beat the odds both times Praise The LORD Amen!!! I am a Army Vet, love motorcycles and Muscle Cars as much as my guns. I like to watch a good boxing match on TV and root for the St.Louis Cardinals when if watch them on TV. I also like to hunt big game, nothing tastes as good to me as moose! Trying to get the nack for making "Paper Patch Bullets" for my Sharps 45/120, John Bodine 45/90 and 45/70 rifles.

fishinfool88
02-21-2014, 01:50 AM
Another new guy here, name is Matt. Just recently got started into reloading, due to the grim nature of ammunition around here. Just reloaded, successfully my first 20 or so .308 cases. I took my money I got back from the government and purchased a small lee press with a deluxe 308 die and the carbide 9mm die. Even if I don't save money by reloading and casting, I can at least have ammo on hand while others get gouged at the gun show. I bought a few jacketed Sierra bullets, but I'm very interested in casting my own. Just bought a new tumbler tonight so I'm slowly trying to become self sufficient and "roll my own", so to speak. Looking forward to meeting a lot of you guys, and would love to go shooting/motorcycle riding with anyone in the Indianapolis area, if anyone is interested.

Bad Water Bill
02-21-2014, 02:02 AM
Please tell us what town near you you call home?

We have quite a few very qualified members living within an hours drive from Indy.

Now go warm up your coffee and enjoy.

fishinfool88
02-21-2014, 04:04 AM
Greenfield actually. Just a small suburb about 15 miles east of Indy on I70.

lightload
02-28-2014, 11:34 PM
I'm back after joining a couple years ago. Major surgery derailed me, but now I look forward to jumping in.

Lightload

bspitt
03-02-2014, 12:17 PM
Hello All,

Im a new one here. Just getting into reloading and figured why not go "Whole Hog" I purchased several molds, lead, tools, pots, even three plumbers furnaces (of which I only need one) from a gentleman who felt his hobby of casting was a little unsafe for his age (after he got burnt). Looking forward to learning from you guys & gals!

Brannon

DRNurse1
03-02-2014, 12:36 PM
"Wilkum" All! ( the Plain Folks say it that way around here).

Ed1
03-02-2014, 05:47 PM
Thanks for letting me join. I recently got into casting my own buckshot and if I googled a question about it, it always brought me to CB for the answer.

waksupi
03-02-2014, 07:35 PM
We've got lotsa answers. You're bound to like one of them!

Ed1
03-02-2014, 08:05 PM
I like every single 1

Christof13T
03-06-2014, 05:06 PM
I have been a lurker on this forum for a couple years.. till now I have found answers to all my questions by utilizing the handy dandy search feature. Delving now deeper into the intricacies of building my own equipment.

I have cast my own boolits for many years, my grandfather started my reloading hobby at the ripe age of 4yrs.
At this point, im looking at cutting my own molds, and getting back into swaging.
I do not want to buy swaging dies, but cut them myself. I have read volumes on the subject on this forum. Reading of kinks some of these guys have pounded their heads against is a great start, but i'm certain when i start making chips on the first die... there will be questions.

I. R. Musheenist. I run mostly mazak vertical machining centers, and 1 old behemoth fanuc controlled supermax.
I am building my own mini machine shop at home. Got my mini mill and mini lathe set up already... now i gotta buy tooling.

At work I make downhole tools and packer parts for oil&gas drilling.

Thanks in advance for any help I receive!

Fetzner808
03-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Been lurking for a while as well. Excited to finally get into casting and hopefully swaging as well.

Living in the country of upstate NY.
Working in a city near by at my families business (collision repair)
Love Jesus, my wife and son
Love my country and my guns.

SteveS
03-09-2014, 10:23 AM
New member here and wanting to say 'Hello from New Hampshire'.

I'm getting back into casting and reloading after a thirty year break. Looks like there is a lot that hasn't changed but plenty that has.

There was no internet thirty years ago and it looks like it will be a pleasure to be a part of the forum.

Steve

Outer Rondacker
03-13-2014, 07:23 AM
Hi guys. Been casting for two years. Mostly pistol bullets but am now getting into some rifle in the last year. I have been a memeber of this forum for three years and never said much just lurked I guess you would say. I think I had about 40 or so post. Well I have not logged on in a long time and when I did I no longer had an account. So here I am again new. Funny thing is I used the same email. Posting to you from upstate NY. Please dont hold NYC against me I would brake away from that part of the state if I could.
Thanks Matt

wrongway
03-16-2014, 03:47 PM
The short time I've belonged to this group I have met nothing but nice people willing to help a new, complete stranger out with their needs. This is a very friendly and helpful group and I plan on learning a lot by reading and asking and in time I will be able to return all the help that is being given to me.

Point-Man
03-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Hello everyone.

I found this forum while searching the internet for information on reloading cast bullets for my 30-30. Lucky me. I really enjoy this place. I mostly just read and hang out. Thank you all for having me. Jerry

Outer Rondacker
03-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Welcome Jerry. Thanks for being a part in the forum.

xd45forever
03-22-2014, 10:01 PM
Howdy everyone! Been lurking around for a few days check in out the place before I decided to move in!! I'm just getting started in casting and I'm learning a lot here already. I'm probably gonna ask a bunch of dumb ??s so bear with me!! Lol

Midnatt264
04-01-2014, 01:52 AM
'ello!
I've lurked on CB for a little bit (~3mo.), then got meself established about 8 months ago. I wanted to research casting before getting into it, and picked up my first mold/furnace/etc kit about two months ago. Went with the Lee 4lb pot to start, Lee 358-158-RF mold (BEAUTIFUL little boolits from that...I LOVE that wide flat meplat), a Lyman dipper (the Lee was basically a spoon :P) and a stainless spoon for skimming. Also picked up the latest Lyman Cast Bullet book, since the first half of the book has some SERIOUSLY good info for ANY new cast shooter.

At this time I'm tumble-lubing with LLA, as I'm still deciding what "traditional" lube I want to make/pick up. I've got a can of JPW and the can of Mineral Spirits, but I haven't found the time to fire up the camp stove and double-boil the JPW to liquid form yet so I can get some 45/45/10. Given that whole "fumes" part of the JPW melt, I'm reluctant to do it in the kitchen... :rolleyes:

I just did up a couple of batches this weekend, and had a LOT of fun doing it! I ran the first set from a batch of too-hard 358429 commercial boolits (500/pack originally, first 50 leaded the sin out of my revolver), and 3-4 shells worth of pure-lead #000 buck shot laying around. First batch came out at .360, but seemed to have a "SiG Melt-job" done to each boolit - the edges were all rounded and not filled out too well. The boolits also took a thumb-nail pretty easily, and the scrap sprue bent VERY easily. I'm thinking that between the commercial lube burning off and the pure-lead addition, this alloy needs some tin and/or antimony.

Batch #2 is a LOT better - I picked up some "commercial" wheel weight ingots from my local LGS. This time I got pretty crisp edges to the meplat, sharp corners on the crimp grooves and lube grooves, and a distinguished bevel at the bottom. Boolits dropped at .359", 160.6 +/- 0.8gr for one cavity, and 159.2 +/- 0.7gr for the other.
Shot one in a .38 Special case over 3.6gr of 231 this morning, and besides the face of the forcing cone and the "ramp" at the beginning of the lands, got No leading! We'll see what the rest of that batch does when I load them up later this week. For the record, it kicked like a .22, and had a cute little "pop" to it! I'm a bit more used to 5gr of Universal under a 158gr XTP-FP, or 12.8gr of 2400 under a 190gr TC/GC commercial cast.

Unfortunately, that $20 two-hole Lee mold is showing need of some "Leementing". The sprue plate got REALLY loose halfway through the second batch, and needed CONSTANT retightening/adjusting. Also, the first (farthest from handles) mold hole loved to cling onto bullets with the left mold face. EVERY time. Needed to whack the handle 3-6 times each cast to get it to let go - this after 2-3 smokings. FWIW, I treated the top of the mold/sprue hinge area and mold pins with Never-Seez. The mold was also THOROUGHLY cleaned with Rosignol lighter fluid before use.

It's the first few steps on a new adventure. But - I'll say this - casting is addicting. It's nice to not feel so limited by the dry-spell... As long as I can find usable lead/alloy, I can have ammo, rather than waiting for stores to come up with those j-worded things.

:cast_boolits:

pastime
04-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Greetings CB'ers

I am getting back into reloading after several years of abstinence. I am pretty much starting over from scratch. Other than a few SWC for 38 special I have not used cast boolits. This time around I am starting out reloading 45 ACP and decided I would go with lead for plinking and targets. After I get the hang of reloading again I plan on getting into casting my own boolits. I found CB during my research, liked what I saw and decided to join. I am here to listen, learn and contribute what I can. I will see you in the forums. Take care all.

Mtnfolk75
04-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Howdy & thanks for the welcome. I am 60 years old and have been dabbling in this casting hobby since 2007. It is definitely habit forming and a pleasant stress reliever.
I have been following this site for a few years and have learned quite a bit about our hobby from the brain trust that posts here.
Again " Thank You " for all the helpful tips and suggestions to new casters that are freely given by the members here.

Wialco
04-25-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm not as computer literate as some, how do I add that I'm an NRA Life Member to my profile?

Wialco
04-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Disregard, I think I found it.

Silfield
04-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Hello all,
Been lurking for a while but eventually decided to join-glad I did as the knowledge on here is amazing. I have been casting for only a couple of years for my Parker Hale .451 Volunteer and a MkIV Martini Henry but recently took advice from Dromia and brought a NOE mould from a groupbuy for my 8mm Kropatschek. Just starting to cast with it and what a great mold it is. Now in the process of modifying neck sizing dies, making expander spuds and lube sizing dies to hopefully get it shooting soon.
Thanks for letting me join.

PatMarlin
04-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Sounds like a nice project.

BloodGroove4570
04-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Hello CB members
New guy here. Been reading and lurking in the shadows awhile figured I'd wave a hand and say HELLO!!!
I'm a gunnut and really enjoy reading all the posts around here. I am a newish (about 6~8 months) handloader and load for, 22 Hornet, 22~250, 243, 25~20, 30~30, 35 Rem, 30~06, 375JDJ, 44 mag, 45~70. So I guess you can say I jumped in the deep end with both feet! :-)
I really enjoy loading but not quite as much as emptying them HAHAHAAA....
Thanks for sharing all the knowledge here, it's a Great Forum for sure!
I'm gonna start casting very soon and will be asking for assistance I'm sure if I can't find it in the stickies....

Thanks again.
BloodGroove4570

BloodGroove4570
04-30-2014, 01:55 PM
'ello!
I've lurked on CB for a little bit (~3mo.), then got meself established about 8 months ago. I wanted to research casting before getting into it, and picked up my first mold/furnace/etc kit about two months ago. Went with the Lee 4lb pot to start, Lee 358-158-RF mold (BEAUTIFUL little boolits from that...I LOVE that wide flat meplat), a Lyman dipper (the Lee was basically a spoon :P) and a stainless spoon for skimming. Also picked up the latest Lyman Cast Bullet book, since the first half of the book has some SERIOUSLY good info for ANY new cast shooter.

At this time I'm tumble-lubing with LLA, as I'm still deciding what "traditional" lube I want to make/pick up. I've got a can of JPW and the can of Mineral Spirits, but I haven't found the time to fire up the camp stove and double-boil the JPW to liquid form yet so I can get some 45/45/10. Given that whole "fumes" part of the JPW melt, I'm reluctant to do it in the kitchen... :rolleyes:

I just did up a couple of batches this weekend, and had a LOT of fun doing it! I ran the first set from a batch of too-hard 358429 commercial boolits (500/pack originally, first 50 leaded the sin out of my revolver), and 3-4 shells worth of pure-lead #000 buck shot laying around. First batch came out at .360, but seemed to have a "SiG Melt-job" done to each boolit - the edges were all rounded and not filled out too well. The boolits also took a thumb-nail pretty easily, and the scrap sprue bent VERY easily. I'm thinking that between the commercial lube burning off and the pure-lead addition, this alloy needs some tin and/or antimony.

Batch #2 is a LOT better - I picked up some "commercial" wheel weight ingots from my local LGS. This time I got pretty crisp edges to the meplat, sharp corners on the crimp grooves and lube grooves, and a distinguished bevel at the bottom. Boolits dropped at .359", 160.6 +/- 0.8gr for one cavity, and 159.2 +/- 0.7gr for the other.
Shot one in a .38 Special case over 3.6gr of 231 this morning, and besides the face of the forcing cone and the "ramp" at the beginning of the lands, got No leading! We'll see what the rest of that batch does when I load them up later this week. For the record, it kicked like a .22, and had a cute little "pop" to it! I'm a bit more used to 5gr of Universal under a 158gr XTP-FP, or 12.8gr of 2400 under a 190gr TC/GC commercial cast.

Unfortunately, that $20 two-hole Lee mold is showing need of some "Leementing". The sprue plate got REALLY loose halfway through the second batch, and needed CONSTANT retightening/adjusting. Also, the first (farthest from handles) mold hole loved to cling onto bullets with the left mold face. EVERY time. Needed to whack the handle 3-6 times each cast to get it to let go - this after 2-3 smokings. FWIW, I treated the top of the mold/sprue hinge area and mold pins with Never-Seez. The mold was also THOROUGHLY cleaned with Rosignol lighter fluid before use.

It's the first few steps on a new adventure. But - I'll say this - casting is addicting. It's nice to not feel so limited by the dry-spell... As long as I can find usable lead/alloy, I can have ammo, rather than waiting for stores to come up with those j-worded things.

:cast_boolits:

Hi Welcome aboard... I'm new here too and also setting up for casting... I Hope you have fun and Be Safe.

Enjoy
BloodGroove4570

Defender12
05-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Hey everybody.

I just joined and it looks like i made a good choice.I've done a lot of shooting over the years, and on the verge of getting into reloading.Im from NC and a truck driver by trade.

Bad Water Bill
05-26-2014, 06:09 PM
Welcome to ALL of you.

Now pull up your favorite rocking chair and let the learning begin.

It will never stop so enjoy your selves.:bigsmyl2:

Falken Hawke
05-28-2014, 04:24 AM
Hello all.

I don't have a lot of experience with casting or swaging. I started reloading recently as well so I've been taking things in relatively quickly.

Swaging got me here but I don't remember what I was looking for at the time. Eventually I got what I needed to make .355 open-tip bullets with a hand press. While quite possible, it's not exactly "quick". I would imagine that the little press is going to wear out soon as well if I keep it up.

In any event, my budget is pretty lean so I'll have a lot of opportunities to read and learn before being able to do much more than I am now. Hopefully I will be able to apply the majority of information here for the experience and hopefully long after for the enjoyment.

Thanks and have fun!

Gun_nut83
05-28-2014, 10:19 PM
Hello everyone. I'm not new to casting I've been hand loading for about 7 years and molding for about 4 years. I may have made a mistake earlier by posting in another thread, forgive my zeal to hit the ground running on a project I've been working on and pondering.

I have met some of you already in chat, please allow me to introduce myself. I'm Jon from Hamilton,oh(Hamiltucky for those that know the area).

I want to thank you for allowing me to join this community, I'm really looking forward to learning a lot, and I have MANY questions about a number of things.

Xtreme
06-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Hello from North Carolina,

I am finally ready to make the leap into casting (albeit slowly) and hoping to gain knowledge as well as contribute where I can within this forum. Even though I have been involved with shooting sports for over 30 years I still have much to learn and am appreciative to be part of this community.

BobVII
07-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Mayhaps the oldest noobie to the board. Casting for around 60 years, started dipping on Mom's stove, wore out 1 "real" pot, now on a Lee.
Pistol, rifle and round ball, still learning, still doing!

Bob

dromia
07-06-2014, 03:31 PM
A hearty

to all our new members!

von_klitzing
07-09-2014, 01:07 AM
Hi all from Australia, been lurking and learning for a few months. What a great site, so full of incredibly helpful information! This is what the internet is for! Started casting for my .44 magnum few months ago now I'm gathering tools and supplies for all my calibers! What fun :D back to learning and hopefully one day I can contribute to the abyss of info here.
Also, interested in getting in on a group buy, but am in Australia, is this likely to be a restriction??
Cheers :)

wyrmzr
07-15-2014, 08:29 PM
Hello all!
Just joined the forum here, recently turned on to casting by an older local, who helped me slug the bore on my 91/30, and made a few bullets for me to load. After getting 1" groups at 100 yards with a stock rifle, I'm hooked.
I'm planning on starting with the .315 bullets for the Mosin, then moving to the bullets I will use for my 300 AAC build, as well as .223 for the next rifle build, as well as the current Savage Axis I've been reloading for. I have no idea what I'm doing yet, but it looks like all the information is on this forum, so it'll be lots of reading for a while.

Kentucky Rifleman
07-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Good afternoon!

I've been reloading for years, and always wanted to break over into bullet casting, but have never made the time to, until yesterday. A few months back, I picked up a couple hundred pounds of old wheel weights from my local tire place. Saturday I bought a Lee production pot, .32 cal mold, and .32 cal swager. Yesterday, several friends came over (who are also interested in getting into casting) and we processed the wheel weights into ingots, and then cast a thousand-some bullets.

For several weeks I've been reading extensively on the subject, and this forum has been extremely helpful in breaking into my new hobby. This forum is about the best aspects of the Internet; people sharing information, resources, experiences, advice, and insights. Thank you for maintaining such a wonderful resource.

I'd like to especially thank CB member gregp42 for giving up his afternoon off work to come over and help keep a bunch of newbies from burning down my house or covering ourselves in molten metal!

I'll post pix of our casting party tonight.

Thanks again for helping me get started in the right direction.

Regards,
Kentucky Rifleman

GregP42
07-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Wasn't a problem at all, and someone had to come over to make sure you didn't pull any of the stunts I did first time down that road!

Greg

Freeloader
08-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Reckon I'll jump in here. I hand load some and just got into the idea of casting for pistol steel matches and my occasional muzzleloading. I'm in the "learning how to smelt" stage right now. Looks like a great site, I may even have to upgrade to a contributing member.

Rockastr
08-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Good day to all of the cast bullet fraternity. I am a newbie and as such I am not knowledgeable enough to participate in discussion but am willing to e
learn.
I want to thank Rickintn for being such a great help in getting started although my wife thinks I'm crazy for starting another activity.... I ope the information gained here will further my experience and move me towards greater expertise. Any helpful ideas will be greatly appreciated....

Bad Water Bill
08-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Welcome all to the family.

Pull up your favorite rocking chair, grab a cup of coffee and start reading.

The learning NEVER stops here.

Your wife will never worry where you are.

Right here honey casting and reloading so I can take you back to the range again this week.

RickinTN
08-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Good day to all of the cast bullet fraternity. I am a newbie and as such I am not knowledgeable enough to participate in discussion but am willing to e
learn.
I want to thank Rickintn for being such a great help in getting started although my wife thinks I'm crazy for starting another activity.... I ope the information gained here will further my experience and move me towards greater expertise. Any helpful ideas will be greatly appreciated....

Welcome aboard. Lots of information to be gained here. I studied the forums for a couple of years before casting my first bullets. Lots of good folks and a great community.
Rick

TCarpenter
08-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Hello all, I fairly recently decided to get into reloading to feed a very hungry Taurus 44ss4. Have never cast before, but have reloaded a bit, but not that much. Hope to learn a lot here.

WILCO
08-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Good to see some new folks! Welcome aboard.

BigDanS
08-09-2014, 07:53 PM
<--- new to your board...

But I am active at the Guns and Ammo Forum.

I am a reloader looking into lead bullets and looking for information. Thanks for having this Forum!

Dan

manickernel
08-11-2014, 12:12 AM
Hi all, been lurking too long I guess. Been reloading awhile, used to do USPSA and still a member but have been living in DC for last few years and most of my shooting was just at a range there. Now this southern boy is back where he belongs. Georgia. I have found this site invaluable as I want to get into casting, just figured the peeps in the apartment building I lived in before might object, so have just been collecting the necessary bits and molds. Have about 20 something milsurps, and about same number of revolvers and semi's, so I do have a need. Now I finally have a place I can light up and nobody will care. Just about every question I have had I have found the answer for here, so this is just a howdy to all of you!

:-)

ritepath
08-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Hello from the red end of Virginia...

Just started reloading a few months ago. Didn't take me long to figure out there's a load of lead needing molding and thrown down range again. And while I'm an engineer by trade I'm no chemist or loadmaster. I have a lot of learning to do...

PatMarlin
08-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Welcome..!

pakrat57
08-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Howdy from the PNW. Not doing any casting or reloading yet but it's on my to-do list. Currently I'm saving for a Shilo Quigley in 45-110. It will be awhile considering the cost but that gives me plenty of time to read here and learn what I can. Been hunting with a .50 muzzle loader built in SC by a friend of my Dads. Also have an old Italian 1858 brass frame New Army pistol that I used to shoot until the frame stretched out (might have been too many full chamber loads) and I don't feel comfortable shooting it any more. Picked up a Ruger Old Army in stainless to shoot but it's still new and so purdy that I haven't gotten around to shooting it. I've been doing machining for a living for the last 14yrs after going to school so I know all about the importance of little details. Anyway, looking forward to learning all I can.

Jim

s mac
08-21-2014, 05:42 PM
Welcome Jim, good place to hang out, lot's of info and good company.

Rufus Krile
08-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Just joined... have cast pistol and rifle bullets off and on for years... and decoy weights, sinkers, etc... but took a 20yr sabbatical. Now retired, I have the time and interest to get back into it and greatly appreciate the helpful reminders scattered around this forum. Amazing how much you can forget in such a short time... and it has nothing to do with age.

bogger01
09-04-2014, 05:41 PM
hey guys.been lurkng around for a while.I've been a long range scoped rifle shooter for a while but i was looking for something different to try so i just bought a pedersoli rolling block.going to see what i can learn from you guys.thanks for having me.marty

BruceB
09-04-2014, 06:32 PM
Bogger, a warm welcome to you.

No matter what particular activities catch your interest, there's almost certain to be someone here (or several someones) who will be willing and happy to help you along.

Of course, undoubtedly YOU have some experience to impart as well, and it doesn't always have to be technical shooting stuff.

Again, welcome.

Tactical Lever
09-08-2014, 06:36 AM
Been here more than once, and found a lot of knowledge. Thought it was about time to join up.

bobdwtt
09-08-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm new to the site and new to casting. Looks like this is the place to learn how.

1911XSE
10-03-2014, 12:34 AM
Just joining in here and looking to learn about casting! Thanks for the add!!!

ehsa
10-05-2014, 02:51 PM
i joined up the other day but being new i posted about myself somewhere else on the forum but i think i am in the right place now. i live in western nc and enjoy shooting. i have an original winchester long tang model 71 made in 1936, a browning 71 high grade, a jm marlin 1895 guide gun 45-70 of course and a winchester miroku made 405 take down on the way. i shoot all these guns and if anyone has any hornady brass i dont have any and cant find any. would like to have 2 or 3 boxes of hornady factory 405 as well. anyway i have visited your site many times and am glad to be aboard.(i was in the us navy 1969-1973) deployed to vietnam 1970.happy shooting.john

backbencher
10-13-2014, 06:30 AM
Hello all. copperlake roped me in w/ his overpressure experiments. Among other things, I'm the editor of the Feinstein Project, which is a non-profit open source attempt to build an AR-15 lower receiver out of plastic bricks, such as Lego or K'nect. So far, we've got a stock working, reinforced w/ eight 10-24 threaded rods, which has held up to 24 rounds of 12 ga 3" 00 buck before my shoulder quit. The next step is to build that into a thumbhole stock which will reinforce the receiver, and then the lower.

leterrip
10-13-2014, 09:42 AM
New to the site and willing to read and learn. I've been shooting most of my life, but don't know much about reloading and "rollin my own" as some people call it. Looks like a good place to learn alot.

MarkS
10-17-2014, 08:25 PM
I've been a lurker for months and just realized I hadn't ever posted, so hello from northwest Florida.

turbomech77
10-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Hello all,
New guy from San Antonio TX. Ive been lurking for awhile and finally decided to join. Outstanding forum. Just started casting for my SKS. It has been allot of fun.

gloud
11-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Just signed up the other day and gave $10 bucks to the site today. too much good info not to support it. Located in western mass USA, Home machinist , electronic tech by trade, Build my own guns (just buy barrels now, the rest from raw metals) and want to do my own boolits too. so I have been reading up and warming up the CC a little to get the stuff I need. Have casted BP round balls when I was a kid and started with 9mm for my carbines recently. doing a 300 blk upper for the ar and want to do boolits for that along with some .308 for another.

Bad Water Bill
11-21-2014, 06:07 PM
WELCOME ALL

Pull up your favorite easy chair grab some popcorn and your favorite liquid refreshment (no alcoholic beverages permitted in or near firearms or components) and start reading the tons of stickies here.

Feel free to bring along your young ones as well.:popcorn:[smilie=s:

MT Beard
11-28-2014, 07:09 AM
Howdy All,
This is one of the very few forums that I've joined, just an amazing amount of knowledge here. Started casting for my 1911 this September and will be prepping new .30 and .32 cal molds for casting on my next stretch of time off. Thank you all

No_1
11-28-2014, 08:08 AM
Welcome aboard new members!

hog
11-29-2014, 05:45 PM
I guess i should have posted here 9 posts ago. Great forum thanks for having me.

30Carbine
11-30-2014, 03:15 PM
Well first post just jumped in. grampa taught me to cast and reload when I was 14 he said if your going to shoot that much your going to roll your own, he passed when I was at MCRDSD, did my 4 years grandma gave me everything he had for it and been using since then, read a lot of sticky here some nice folks here to. now teaching the better half to roll her own she shoots way more than I do lately. I build custom cnc machines and build parts for the auto and bike industry mostly proto type stuff..

Andyr50
12-06-2014, 04:45 PM
G/day all
Andrew from Victoria Australia
looking to start casting for my Bakail MP221 in 45/70 and my 338wm
So a complete newbie looking forward to learning,so please forgive me if I ask some stupid questions

Cheers Andrew
(down under)

histed
12-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Hog - welcome aboard. You near Pittsburg? Spent a lot of time there when I was a truck driver - 20 years ago.

18Bravo
12-18-2014, 01:43 PM
Decided it was time to quit visiting and become a bona fide question asker! I didn’t realize how much I’ve been doing things wrong until I found this site. Thanks for all the great information and the opportunity to participate.

12-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Ditto 18Bravo's comments, save the doing it wrong, as I am just beginning to cast, so I am seeking knowledge like a sponge and this is an awesome resource! Thanks to all who contribute! :drinks:

flylot
12-19-2014, 11:09 AM
+1 what he said. It's a grand adventure this journey I am on......

SMLESteve
12-20-2014, 01:49 AM
G'day from sunny Downunder. I've just gotten into casting. Lots to learn I see. Well I've scored 3, 20 litre containers full of WW so far for the princely sum of $10. Sorted through 1 WOW there is a lot of steel and zinc. Still I have a couple of places I know that have loads of old stuff laying around. I'll have to go grab it asap. I've got a few things in mind I want to cast for a 45-70 that I will be using 570gn FN in (16" barrel number 4 Enfield), a 375 2 1/4" NE and 12 rifled slugs as well as my .45 cal ML. Nice mixed bag I reckon. Anyway I'll be off browsing and learning.

Steve

jmort
12-20-2014, 01:55 AM
Good to see more international members, especially when they are shooting the big slugs.

cwb8539
12-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Hello everyone! I've been lurking for a while and decided to become a member today. I see there is a wealth of knowledge here. The reading has been fascinating!

Bad Water Bill
12-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Merry Christmas to all of our new family members.

Pull up your favorite rocker sit back and learn and enjoy yourself on the greatest site in the universe.
And heres your popcorn.:popcorn:

Hodag Loader
12-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Enough lurking, here I am.

30-30, 45 ACP, 7.62x39mm & 303 Enfield. It's 10 above outside, the Packers are about to beat Detroit and I'm casting in an enclosed space. Let's do it!

B

Bad Water Bill
12-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Yumpin bi yimminy,never heard of a Hodag that could hold a gun.

Some strange news coming out of Riney land these days.[smilie=s:

Welcome to our happy home.

veteran
01-04-2015, 01:54 AM
Hello to all. I am new to everything reloading and casting. I have been reading reloading books for about the past month. The reason I want to start reloading and then getting into casting is to get my mind off things and therapy. Since all I have is free time. I look forward to learning from all of you.

Beagle333
01-04-2015, 01:58 AM
Hi veteran! [smilie=s: Welcome to the forum. There is a vast amount of information here and if you read enough and ask a few questions, you'll be casting like a pro in no time!

rmatchell
01-04-2015, 02:01 AM
Hello to all. I am new to everything reloading and casting. I have been reading reloading books for about the past month. The reason I want to start reloading and then getting into casting is to get my mind off things and therapy. Since all I have is free time. I l9ck forward to learning from all of you.

Welcome to the group veteran, nice to see you here.

40-82 hiker
01-04-2015, 02:19 AM
Hello to all. I am new to everything reloading and casting. I have been reading reloading books for about the past month. The reason I want to start reloading and then getting into casting is to get my mind off things and therapy. Since all I have is free time. I look forward to learning from all of you.

Welcome Veteran!

Reloading, shooting, and now casting again have been great therapy for me for decades. My advice is take it slow, ask questions, and realize that while your time is free, and our advice is free, you'll have to pay for everything else :shock:! Almost...

My advice? Get reloading somewhat figured out with bought lead boolits before you start casting. Starting both at the same time has been known to increase the consumption of Wild Turkey and talking to one's self. [smilie=b: Could be worse, though...

veteran
01-04-2015, 02:21 AM
I was not gonna jump into both at once. Too late I already talk to myself. I do shoot a lot pretty much every weekend and whenever I'm stressed or mad.

rmatchell
01-04-2015, 03:00 AM
Veteran here is a good place to start

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?35-Classics-amp-Stickies

Im sure somebody will step in and give you there favorite but I cant pick one myself. What are you wanting to start reloading for as for caliber?

veteran
01-04-2015, 03:33 AM
I shoot a lot of 9mm luger, 38 special, 357mag, 7.62x39 sks, 223 and 5.56, 380, and .308

Jr.
01-04-2015, 03:37 AM
I started with .357 loads Lee mould and sizer. Old cast iron pot and turkey frier. Best decision I ever made with this shooting hobby.

Madcow
01-09-2015, 01:42 PM
Hello all and happy new year. Can't wait to pick your brains and continue digging through all y'all's posts as I details started.

dromia
01-17-2015, 04:16 AM
A big

to all our new members!

lumberjacklurch
01-18-2015, 09:26 AM
Brand new noob caster here. Really enjoyed reading all your posts and gathering knowledge from this site. I actually had my first smelting session yesterday, purified over 30lbs of wheel weights! I am so thankful for all of your help, I thought it only right I sign up. :)

danthman114
01-22-2015, 12:30 PM
new guy here to annoy with tons of questions! about me, im in yuma, az and a former marine who has been reloading since 1999 but never cast my own. mostly i reload for accuracy. rifles and havnt reloaded pistol in a while since i started shooting past 500 yards. im currently building a savage 111 and still waiting on the mcmillan a3 stock in desert camo. in the few hours ive already learned much for the 45colt. i loaded some hornady 255gr with smokeless and bp and shot them. the first 10 rounds were accurate but that degraded after that; by inches. when i got home and cleaned i thought i shot out my bore but it was like a lead sleve in there! lol. anway, i hope i dont annoy with questions but dont worry ill only ask if the search turns up not to answer them...

PatMarlin
01-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Welcome to CB..! Happy CB Day...! :mrgreen:

danthman114
01-22-2015, 12:53 PM
CB day? how old is the site?

39duck
01-22-2015, 01:31 PM
I am pretty new here, but starting to find my way around. Very nice site. Especially like the powder coated boolits -really cool info too!

RickF
01-25-2015, 04:54 PM
Hola!

New member here and *hopefully soon* I'll be new to casting and it certainly looks like this is the place to learn, I've been lurking for quite some time but just signed up and I really look forward to bugging as many of you as I possibly can during my next ten year learning curve (I'm a little slow at times!) … thanks for allowing me to join the forums!

Rick

plowboy
01-25-2015, 05:57 PM
hello new member here. I enjoy learning the how two's of cast boolit shooting. plowboy

No_1
01-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Welcome aboard. There is a lot of info here if you look for it. Don't forget to read the sticky's.

Robert

Bad Water Bill
01-25-2015, 06:42 PM
Warning new members.

This is one place where the learning never stops.

Beating every challenge as they pop up is why so many here enjoy the hobby.

ghostrider
01-26-2015, 12:53 AM
howdy,

been lurking for a while, just joined today. Been casting for a year or so, reloading since about 1991.

~ghostrider~

Quag
01-28-2015, 03:59 PM
New guy here, I don't think I'll be a "caster" but I reload 9mm, .223/5.56 and I have just started reloading 300 blk out (from LC Brass only). The amount of work it took me to produce 300 blackout cases from 5.56 drove me from the 300 blk out forum to here to find some 300 black out brass by Mr. Grumpa. I don't mind work but that was painful. I have a Dillon 550b, I use a WFT for trimming and have a Ballistics small packet gauge to check pockets. I run a JP AR-15, a Stag Arms 300 Blackout Upper, G17, G34, Walther PPQ, Berretta 1301 tactical and carry a Ruger SR9c. Yes I live in the Peoples Republic of Mass, but I have a house I hope to retire to in NC, I like to say I have a northern accent and a southern heart. Oh BTW for those of you in the free states have pity on us you will not find a more resilient, innovative and committed group of gun owners than in Mass, to preserve our rights we fight the battle everyday its not easy! But the action shooting sports thrive in this state. This forum looks like fun

Bad Water Bill
01-28-2015, 04:23 PM
Welcome from someone that knows about "THE FIGHT" and some of what it takes to get her done.

You have just joined the finest site in the universe with more hands on experience and the willingness to share it than is found any where else.

Pull up your rocker,start reading the STICKIES and then start asking away.:popcorn:

Yes we even furnish the popcorn.