PDA

View Full Version : CNBC Says Cabellas missed Numbers -Because of Low Ammo Sales

MUSTANG
02-14-2014, 12:39 AM
First I laughed, then I scratched my head this morning. CNBC said that Cabellas missed their numbers and their stock dropped; why? Because the demand for ammuniton was down and dropping. Any one know what planet Wall Street is located on?

runfiverun
02-14-2014, 12:48 AM
apparently not the one that shows cabella's was overpriced to begin with, and consequently sold their stock so much later than everybody else they were too late in the ordering game to re-stock their shelves.

LeftyDon
02-14-2014, 11:57 AM
The Cabela's in E. Hartford, CT is in for a world of ammo sales hurt, CT now requires a CT ammo permit (unless you already have a CT pistol permit) and they are not real fast at issuing them. A friend has been waiting since June '13, I believe. I'm SOL since I don't feel the need to figure out how a NY citizen can get a permit to purchase ammo in CT. Much easier for me to drive to the SIL's house in PA and buy at LGS's or the Hamburg, PA Cabela's. That is if I can't find things locally or online. So far NY's Gov. Crumbum hasn't stopped online component sales - just loaded ammo. That does limit my purchase of shotgun shells from Cabela's when they have them on sale while offering free or $5 shipping. That's often a good deal on cases of shotgun shells vs. LGS pricing. So I now have shotgun reloading press. Darn lead shot is expensive to ship and very costly at my LGS's.

uscra112
02-16-2014, 06:29 AM
Cabelas makes most of its' profits on clothing. Huge markups on clothing, much bigger turnover, too. Ammo sales would have small on their bottom line. What that stat tells me is that the general economy is still headed south. 98% of what Cabelas' sells is bought with discretionary income, and that is shrinking as food, fuel, and especially medical insurance head skyward. Just getting to a Cabelas' is getting harder to do for many people, they are so far from population centers. Good business plan in good times with cheap gas. Not so good otherwise.

Del-Ray
02-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Yeah... Or it could be the shine is wearing off. My WIFE wants to go to Cabelas more then me now. The one in DUNDEE, MI opened with a reloading section that blew my mind. Have a semi rare caliber to reload? They had it! The bullet section had every caliber. And the prices?! I've got 500 count boxes of 357 bullets that were marked down to what we pat for 100 count now!

Now they "remodeled". Which is apparently French for "we reduced everything in the store to make room for more clothes".

Now I go for the bargain cave pretty much...... .....and the make your own stinky candle shop downtown.

cbrick
02-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Low demand? Really?

Going by the info in the OP it was NBC put that out, not wall street. Considering the source just how much intelligence, accuracy, truth were you expecting?

Rick

btroj
02-16-2014, 10:45 AM
Yep. Low demand. That explains why the shelves are pretty bare.......

If this is how hard it is to find powder in times of low demand I can't wait for high demand! Anyone want some 2400 at 50 bucks a pound?

LeftyDon
02-16-2014, 04:51 PM
Yeah... Or it could be the shine is wearing off. My WIFE wants to go to Cabelas more then me now. The one in DUNDEE, MI opened with a reloading section that blew my mind. Have a semi rare caliber to reload? They had it! The bullet section had every caliber. And the prices?! I've got 500 count boxes of 357 bullets that were marked down to what we pat for 100 count now!

Now they "remodeled". Which is apparently French for "we reduced everything in the store to make room for more clothes".

Now I go for the bargain cave pretty much...... .....and the make your own stinky candle shop downtown.

Most likely filling the empty space left from no ammo or components to sell. To me Cabela's is more or less like a Sears store - never buy anything that's not on sale.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-16-2014, 06:18 PM
CNBC Says Cabellas missed Numbers -Because of Low Ammo Sales
First I laughed, then I scratched my head this morning. CNBC said that Cabellas missed their numbers and their stock dropped; why? Because the demand for ammuniton was down and dropping. Any one know what planet Wall Street is located on?
I assume this was for the last month or last quarter ?
CNBC are Morons...ya can't sell what ain't on the shelf. Nothing to do with demand. And like other's said, most of what they sell is clothes and Camping/fishing gear

xacex
02-18-2014, 05:01 PM
You can't sell what you dont have.

prs
02-18-2014, 07:04 PM
The crux is WHY there are no goods to sell. How can it be hoarding if the stock is not being delivered to the retailers? I think the government is buying the production and warehousing. Eventually the goods will be destroyed.

prs

onceabull
02-18-2014, 07:24 PM
Selling Cabela's at todays close still nets you better than 6x your money in less than five years after commissions.. Perhaps a period of profit taking might be expected... Onceabull

fouronesix
02-18-2014, 11:59 PM
Yep. Does anyone think that CNBC/NBC (or any of the alphabet outlets) has an agenda that is friendly to guns, shooting and the shooting sports or any business related to those activities?

prs
02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
One of the founders passed on yesterday or day before....

prs