PDA

View Full Version : Sizes for parts for a Chicopee Rifle.

terryt
02-13-2014, 10:00 PM
Hi:

I am in the process of building a Chicopee Rifle. I am looking for the sizes of the parts. In Frank de Hass book at least the one I have he gives dimensions but not the sizes. If anyone has the sizes and would be willing to share it would be very much appreciated.

Are there any books that show the sizes, the book I have shows dimensions but not the sizes.

Thanks,

Terryt

pietro
02-13-2014, 11:43 PM

What am I missing ? AFAIK, dimensions = sizes.

Reg
02-14-2014, 03:02 AM
Mr. deHaas deliberately did not go into exact sizes or dimensions in any of his "how to do it books" and I see now for a very good reason.
One, it protected him somewhat in liability but more so, by having to figure out exact dimensions the builder would have a much better understanding of what each part was and what it did. It's one of those things that you actually have to get into the project and see the relationship of the parts, how they would work and would load share with each other then you, the builder, would see what was required.
I know this may not make a lot of sense but it's just one of those things you have to get into to actually see. Have made a number of actions including a Farrow from pictures and trust me. The idea works.
In the case of the Chicopee, make the action sides first, then make paper or cardboard mock ups of the internals and it will all fall into place.

oldred
02-14-2014, 06:55 AM
In the book only certain dimensions are given given, hole locations etc, while the diagrams for most of the main parts are drawn to actual size. The builder is told to make cardboard templates of the parts, they explain that this is much simpler than using true mechanical drawings but even more importantly each part can be shown as a simple diagram in actual size rather than a detailed drawing that would consume the entire page. The problem is getting true-to-size prints from an electronic copy since it seems the paper version of the book is no longer in print, several places have them listed but no one has them in stock.

terryt
02-14-2014, 10:15 PM
thanks everyone.

Terryt