PDA

View Full Version : How to determine value of an 1886 winchester

winchester85
02-13-2014, 09:20 PM
i have got a desire to pick up an original 1886. there are many on gunbroker, some pretty rough, some not. some go for large numbers some go for low numbers, but it is not always obvious why the price is what it is.

i would like to find a shotgun butt, longer barrel, octagon barrel is preferred, a takedown is nice but not a big deal, caliber does not make much difference. what i buy will have to be a shooter so being able to make brass or buy it is good.

so how do i determine what price is good for what i want? i dont want to pay hundreds more than the rifle is worth!

osteodoc08
02-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Condition mostly. Then there are the rarer barrel types and calibers. Any gun appraisal guide will go through the differences and give you an idea of what's worth more. Looking back at completed auctions will determine current market value.

missionary5155
02-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Greetings
Research is the best learning tool. It takes time and you will have to be somewhat patient.
Before I bought my first (a caliber .33 Winchester made about 1923) I had come to the reality that if I wanted a shooter I had better get a caliber that was massed produced and stop looking at pre 1899 models. Add on special order features and prices soar to the clouds.
I would recommend you look at the Browning tradename 1886's. They are nice well made rifles in 45-70 (the caliber all 1886 collectors want) and are affordable. Used ones make excellent shooters.
The jap Winchesters are well made BUT have features I have to undoe. You can find these around in used condition far below a real 86 model. These rifles are excellent shooters also.
So do the homework, study the sites and you will get the feel for real prices.
Mike in Peru

winchester85
02-13-2014, 10:01 PM
i already have an 1886 miroku. now i "need" an original!

bigted
02-13-2014, 10:29 PM
I ...[for one]... am very disgusted in the price for an older winchester lever or single shot ...[as a shooter and not a collector] ... I desire the great workmanship and original lines that handle so well ... but ... the price is driven up by folks that buy em and lock em away to never do a days work again... or snatch em up to make a buck on em by turning them over ... what a shame. folks like us that just want an heirloom that is still a workin gun are foobared as far as getting into them on the cheap. kinda!

couple years ago I did luck onto an old marlin that I invited to go home with me. it had/has a split wrist that had been fixed with a brass screw and nut and the job reeks of a man trying to feed his family as the rest of the rifle is in GREAT shape for a rifle built in 1893 or 4. it came to me with a bit torn up barrel of "smokeless steel" variety so I sent it to a gentleman here to reline it and it came back to me in pristine shape and my what a nice old shooter. got what I wanted and it didn't break my bank ... model 1893 in 38-55 caliber ... still has that spiffy "fix" on the stock and as long as it stays solid ... I will keep it this way as I really like the era it came thru and the jobs it undoubtedly concluded with fresh meat and protection from marauding bears n such ... just a workin mans rifle ... nuttin fancy ... cept to me.

keep lookin friend and done discount the barrel shape inside if you are lookin for a shooter ... the reline job is very acceptable and does nothing to the outside of the rifle. I concur with the sentiment of " read into the rifle and prices" and then make an educated guess as to price on what you want. if an old collector is not going to be paramount for you ... then you very well may land a rifle that has what you want and in need of some pretty cheap work from a smith that is in the know about the how and what you desire.

30calflash
02-15-2014, 06:24 PM
I picked one up 5 or so years ago. Made in the '30's, end of production. Was re-blued, rebored/rechambered from 33WCF to 45-70 and had a recoil pad fitted. Not a collectible by any stretch but just what the doctor ordered, an 86 in 45-70! The price was affordable, about what Marlin 95's run now.

Let your tastes and wallet set the limits.

bob208
02-16-2014, 10:49 PM
well they only made so many of them a lot were lost to wear and tear. a bunch to bubba. also there are more collectors every day. so your choices are find a bubba and fix it or belly up to the bar and pay the price. some of the things you want are special order. like the extra long barrel