PDA

View Full Version : Candle Wax Lube

Lee
12-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Having collected several pounds of candle wax stubs from SWMBO candle fetish, I am wondering if anyone has some simple recipes for turning this stuff into lube??
I can live with the dark brown/red color, and I'll just have to put up with the strange looks about the lavender scented boolits[smilie=1:.
Any 2 or 3 component recipes out there?? Listening for suggestions, as this wax is a CHEAP supply of a possible lube component.........................Lee:wink:

38 Super Auto
12-15-2007, 10:33 PM
One thing I found with candle wax is there is a lot of smoke when you drop the hammer. I switched to Jake's lube available on ebay. Very reasonable IMO. :drinks:

Marshal Kane
12-16-2007, 12:19 AM
I use Jake's lube too, the purple lube. Not only is it reasonable, it works. I think you'll be happy with it.

Winger Ed.
12-16-2007, 12:26 AM
That's all I use for low velocity pistol loads in the 900-1,000 fps neighborhood.

For rifles and gas checked/high vel. handgun stuff, I go ahead and buy Orange majic.

Anyway:
For the mix, I melt old candles & broken crayons in a pot, and add a little motor oil*

SAE 30, 10-40, it doesn't matter--- just use what ya got
If you have some wheel bearing grease that's been contaminated with dirt- put it in there too.

Dip a pencil in it, pull it out & let it cool, then test the hardness with your fingernail.
You want it to be firm, but not hard/brittle. Add more oil or wax to make it 'just right'.

I don't mold mine, I just re-melt it and pour it straight into the lube/sizer.

I don't know how many tens of thousands of lead wadcutters in .38 and .45ACP I've
lubed this way, but I've never had a problem with it other than a little more smoke and
stink than normal with 'store bought' lubes.