PDA

View Full Version : Firearm Manufacturers must be hurting Bad?

JesterGrin_1
02-13-2014, 04:27 AM
Has anyone noticed the large amount of shows and adds pushing the .22 Rim Fire? Maybe since the Manufacturers are hurting they may impact the production of .22 Rim Fire ammo?

But who can blame the public for not purchasing the .22's since you can not get ammo without getting your head ripped off.

osteodoc08
02-13-2014, 10:49 AM
My LGS is overloaded with 22s as well. I even noticed a manufacturer flyer that advertised a free box of CCI MiniMag if you bought their 22. I wonder how that worked out?

Bzcraig
02-13-2014, 11:01 AM
My LGS is overloaded with 22s as well. I even noticed a manufacturer flyer that advertised a free box of CCI MiniMag if you bought their 22. I wonder how that worked out?

I saw that too and thought to myself, hmmm, wonder if it's a mail in coupon?

biggc1
02-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Must be why Sig is giving a free 1911 in 22lr with the purchase of a45!

JesterGrin_1
02-13-2014, 09:13 PM
It must be bad when they can not give them away.

moose0011
02-14-2014, 12:22 AM
I can tell you it isn't the manufactures that are suffering.. it is the dealers and distributors that are hurting.. Because of all the guns flying off the shelves faster than the factory can make them. dealers and distributors are buying them weather they need them or not because they know they may not get an opportunity to get them for quite a while. I have heard through some connections wink wink that it will probably take about 2 years for things to slow down and for all the choices to start making there way back to the shelves. Companies have had to be real careful and no buy a bunch of machinery and hire a bunch of people to find out when this all slows down they have to lay people off.

JesterGrin_1
02-14-2014, 03:53 AM
I can tell you it isn't the manufactures that are suffering.. it is the dealers and distributors that are hurting.. Because of all the guns flying off the shelves faster than the factory can make them. dealers and distributors are buying them weather they need them or not because they know they may not get an opportunity to get them for quite a while. I have heard through some connections wink wink that it will probably take about 2 years for things to slow down and for all the choices to start making there way back to the shelves. Companies have had to be real careful and no buy a bunch of machinery and hire a bunch of people to find out when this all slows down they have to lay people off.

Moose you must have been reading another thread lol. I do not know about other Firearms flying off of the shelves at this time but they are not selling Firearms in .22 Rim Fire. That is the main discussion. And the reason for this is simply No Ammo to be had unless it is very expensive.

When it is Cheaper to load .38Sp/.357 Magnum than get .22 Rim Fire I think there could be something wrong. But then again I could be wrong.

Tackleberry41
02-14-2014, 09:47 AM
One would think if someone went to business school, that maybe they would slow down production of weapons using 22lr for a little while. Seems to me a pretty delusional executive to say oh no this shortage is just a blip, a blip is roses go up during the week of valentines day. Over a year of bare shelves is not a blip. Guy at the LGS told me there is not a light at the end of the tunnel on 22lr any time soon.

Instead of simply promoting, advertising, even giving them away. Slack off and produce something else. But when has business actually thought very far into the future. Yea they can sell rifles in the short term, as dealers replentish stocks, that not long ago couldn't be found. But once racks are full of unsold 22lr, dealers are gonna stop buying from the manufacturers. Then they will just pile up in warehouses. Where other day I was looking thru some parts at a gun store, and the guy behind the counter kept telling a customer 'no can't get that one...no back ordered' maybe shift some of that excess 22 production to something else they can sell.

uscra112
02-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Time to go see my LGS and offer him $250 for that little CZ on his rack ! :bigsmyl2:

dragon813gt
02-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Time to go see my LGS and offer him $250 for that little CZ on his rack ! :bigsmyl2:

No dice for me. I've been trying to buy up 22 firearms for a few months now. I've been offering a fair price but the shops apparently want the guns to keep sitting on the shelf. Now is the time to buy any 22 you've ever wanted. I'm just having trouble convincing the shops that they should sell them to me ;)

moose0011
02-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Moose you must have been reading another thread lol. I do not know about other Firearms flying off of the shelves at this time but they are not selling Firearms in .22 Rim Fire. That is the main discussion. And the reason for this is simply No Ammo to be had unless it is very expensive.

When it is Cheaper to load .38Sp/.357 Magnum than get .22 Rim Fire I think there could be something wrong. But then again I could be wrong.

I was talking about rimfire rifles ie.. 22 lr 22 WRM and 17 HMR

Jack Stanley
02-14-2014, 09:39 PM
I'm still waiting for CZ to offer a twenty-two magnum in a left hand bolt rifle .

Jack

wv109323
02-14-2014, 11:08 PM
I have read a couple of articles on the ammo shortage. Both articles pointed to increased firearm sales that lead to the ammo shortage. NICs background checks have increased substantially for the last two years.
Add the increase of concealed carry permits, woman entering the firearm owners market, and a greater amount of semi-autos(using more ammo) and you start to have shortage problems. Add to that the political environment and people are buying firearms.
Some ammo manufacturers are investing capital money in new machinery to increase the amount of ammo they can manufacture. The noticeable shortage is still rimfire especially .22 LR. When people find it they buy more than "normal" times. Also the scalpers are at work feeding on the frenzy.

jonas302
02-15-2014, 02:15 PM
No one has offered me any free 22s I will take a pistol or rifle if you guys want to send me some(: There is plenty of 22 rimfire to be had it sure isnt cheaper to buy 38's and a grand proportion of shooters don't load and even less cast 38's .040-50 cents a piece bought minimags today at .08 a little high but my cz likes them

monadnock#5
02-15-2014, 05:42 PM
I got an e-mail from Sig a couple of weeks ago saying that "THE DEAL IS OFF!!" Or words to that effect. It seems that only specially designated .45's were eligible for the free .22, and that somehow it got turned around so that people thought all .45's qualified. They did say some dealers/distibutors might still honor the deal, but Sig is out of it.

Not a problem for me though. No more rimfires for me for any amount of money until the ammo manufacturers decide it's time to get down to business. Maybe the gun makers will have better luck explaining the need to "Git 'er done".

Must be why Sig is giving a free 1911 in 22lr with the purchase of a45!

starmac
02-15-2014, 09:41 PM
They announced on the one of the local radio station programs, that sportsmans had 525 bulk packs and something else in 22 rimfire. I didn't go by and see how much they had, but was shocked to hear about it on the radio. They generally get some in every tuesday, but it is usually sold out tuesday evening.lol I haven't noticed any of the dealers here running any specials on rimfire guns, they don't seem to be having much trouble moving them.

bruce drake
02-15-2014, 10:22 PM
I've stopped shooting my 22LR rifles and have stopped shooting Bullseye Pistol matches until I can guarantee a steady supply of the little pills again. Right now near Indianapolis, there are a small supply of quality ammo and the prices are through the roof for what can be found.

Bruce

jeo22
02-17-2014, 12:18 PM
I would like to see .22 ammo get back to what it was, but it be a long time.
I have a few ,so I mix in a few with my reloads tell times get better.

biggc1
02-17-2014, 03:34 PM
I scored a Sig 1911 rtss with a free od green 1911 22. Yay. Got about 3000 rounds to get me by until it comes back around. There is plenty to be found at shows just marked up.

LeftyDon
02-19-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm still waiting for CZ to offer a twenty-two magnum in a left hand bolt rifle .

Jack

That would be something! I purchased a left hand Savage Mark II with thumb hole stock last year and thought about getting a magnum or .17 vs. 22LR and decided on the .22 long rifle version.

LeftyDon
02-19-2014, 09:56 PM
I have read a couple of articles on the ammo shortage. Both articles pointed to increased firearm sales that lead to the ammo shortage. NICs background checks have increased substantially for the last two years.
Add the increase of concealed carry permits, woman entering the firearm owners market, and a greater amount of semi-autos(using more ammo) and you start to have shortage problems. Add to that the political environment and people are buying firearms.
Some ammo manufacturers are investing capital money in new machinery to increase the amount of ammo they can manufacture. The noticeable shortage is still rimfire especially .22 LR. When people find it they buy more than "normal" times. Also the scalpers are at work feeding on the frenzy.

News today said the DHS is buying 704,390,250 more rounds of ammo over the next four year in addition to existing orders. I think they say that's 2,500 rounds per year for each of the 70,000 DHS employees.

see:http://cnsnews.com/news/article/ali-meyer/dhs-contracted-purchase-704-million-rounds-ammo-over-next-4-years-2500-rounds

JesterGrin_1
02-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Well since they can use Our Tax dollars anyway they feel fit why not purchase all the ammo they can to keep it out of the public's hands.

We all should feel lucky that many of us reload and have the components to do so.

When I first started to reload of which was about the same time I joined this site was when there was another political evil that caused a shortage of components thus I learned at that time when you can purchase what you need then one should do so. And thus like many here I did just that. Not a whole lot but then again I do not shoot a whole lot. But I do wish I purchased some .22 Rim Fire as dummy me did not feel there would be a shortage of oh my gosh .22 Rim Fire ammunition.