PDA

View Full Version : .22 Ideal mold, what can you tell me about it?

nitrohuck
02-13-2014, 12:25 AM
Hey all,

Wanted to see what you all could tell me about this mold and it's worth?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/13/ahyry6ys.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/13/2uve6u4a.jpg

waco
02-13-2014, 01:28 AM
I can tell you it's going to take HOURS to make a pile of good boolits!..........

Waco

Larry Gibson
02-13-2014, 10:18 AM
The 225462 is an excellent bullet and is my favorite for most .22 CFs with 14" or faster twists. It may be slower casting as a single cavity but with a good alloy and proper technique (neither are difficult) it should produce some very uniform cast bullets. With the older Ideal mould it wouldn't surprise me, if with a good ternary alloy like #2 or good COWWs +2% tin, it won't drop the bullets at .226 - .227+. That is good because I use a .228 sizer to seat/crimp the GCs and just lube the bullets. Excellent cast bullet.

Larry Gibson

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Hey all,

Wanted to see what you all could tell me about this mold and it's worth?

Are you sellin it ?
OR insuring it ?

bhn22
02-13-2014, 11:37 AM
And yours doesn't have Lyman or Ideal handles. You might want to correct that, or at least shim the handles somehow brcause the ones you have look like the blocks might flop around loosely on it. This leads to peening of the the recesses for the alignment pins, and can cause out of round bullets. 225462 is not an especially rare mold, although some of us prefer Ideal era molds to the later Lyman marked ones.

Ben
02-13-2014, 12:06 PM
What does the mold cavity look like ?
( The outside of the mold suggest that at some point the mold has been neglected ? )

nitrohuck
02-13-2014, 01:15 PM
What does the mold cavity look like ?
( The outside of the mold suggest that at some point the mold has been neglected ? )

The inside actually looks perfect, luckily.

The rust on the outside is just surface rust, would be removed in seconds with a little attention.

@JohnB_in_Glencoe - I am thinking of selling it... what is a normal going price for one of them?? Again, assume the cavities are in perfect condition, because, well, they are!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-13-2014, 01:26 PM
While I was a bit sarcastic (hence the purple text) in my previous comment. I gladly pay $30 for the mold right now, without the handles (the handles are probably worth another $15). Now that is surely on the LOW end of what it's worth, on fleabay, it could go for Lots more.
Jon

Ben
02-13-2014, 01:45 PM
The inside actually looks perfect, luckily.

The rust on the outside is just surface rust, would be removed in seconds with a little attention.

@JohnB_in_Glencoe - I am thinking of selling it... what is a normal going price for one of them?? Again, assume the cavities are in perfect condition, because, well, they are!

That's great, you got lucky on that one.

Ben