PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Extractor replacement

Ken B
02-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Anyone ever replaced the extractor on a Marlin 336 before? any tricks to I sould know...Thanks in advance..Ken B

geargnasher
02-12-2014, 11:16 PM
Make the rifle clear, take out the lever, take out the bolt, pop off the old extractor, pop on the new one, reassemble, test with an empty case. A pocket screwdriver is handy for prying off the old one. Be careful not to lose the ejector when you slide out the bolt, and make sure the pin is visible between the two screws on the left side of the receiver when sliding the bolt back in, you will have to hold the ejector in place while installing the bolt.

Gear

Ken B
02-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Thanks Gear............Ken B

Gtek
02-13-2014, 10:15 PM
I find it helpful to dress the edges when you have it off. They are usually knifes on all edges, nice slow radius on bottom and break all others. They can be case eaters. Also after install tension can be played with by slight tweeking of arm. Gtek

BABore
02-15-2014, 02:08 PM
I've only broke one extractor and it was by prying it off with a screwdriver. Got away with it twice before. Lately I've taken to clamping the bolt in a padded vise, then applying the tips of a pair of needle nosed pliers to each free leg of the extractor. A good hard push and off it comes. A good idea to wear safety glasses and even a glove as they sometimes comes off rather energeticly.

9w1911
02-15-2014, 02:17 PM
I've only broke one extractor and it was by prying it off with a screwdriver. Got away with it twice before. Lately I've taken to clamping the bolt in a padded vise, then applying the tips of a pair of needle nosed pliers to each free leg of the extractor. A good hard push and off it comes. A good idea to wear safety glasses and even a glove as they sometimes comes off rather energeticly.-great tip

Ken B
02-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks All.....Ken B

myg30
02-16-2014, 08:34 PM
Ken, There are some take down vids on Utube that have detail striping a marlin. Good info

Mike

Bullshop
02-16-2014, 09:45 PM
Remove the lever bolt and then the lever. Tip the rifle on its left side. Slide the bolt out the rear. Hold your right hand over the ejection port and tip the rifle to the right and catch the ejector. The extractor is a stamped steel sort of spring clip that snaps into a slot on the bolt.
Pop the old one off and snap the new one on. Reverse order for re-assembly. The whole process shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Ken B
02-17-2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the tips all ,went in like a peice of cake................Ken B