PDA

View Full Version : An Observation on a Lee Mould

zipdog
02-12-2014, 10:36 PM
I bought a Lee 6-cav 45 cal 200gr SWC mould a while back and was not happy with the boolits. I tried again today, and after getting the mould up to temp and in the groove, I dropped some beautiful boolits and FAST! After doing some research here, I learned that the Lee likes to run hot, so I plopped it on my hot plate and really got that baby cooking. What a difference! Made a LOT of nice boolits in a short period of time. I'm a believer.

TXGunNut
02-12-2014, 11:04 PM
I have that mould, it does like to run fast and make lots of boolits. Cast over 2000 boolits first week I had it. Gotta keep a pile of ingots nearby when it hits it's stride. I think some moulds just won't drop decent boolits the first session or two, not sure whether it's the mould or the guy holding them. ;-) I give them a good soap & water scrub before the first session and if they don't work right I'll re-scrub them and try it again. Third time was a charm for a NOE mould I got last year, tried everything the first two sessions but it was awesome on the third try.

Colohunter
02-16-2014, 12:50 AM
I just got into casting with that mold and have noticed the same thing. I started out getting quite a few bullets to cull, but the more it heats up, the fewer I need to reject.

Old School Big Bore
02-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Same here. If it's frosty it's filled. I just get antsy about running the mold, and the alloy, that hot.

zipdog
02-16-2014, 05:39 PM
With my last batch I ran the alloy at 650F. First got the mold good and hot on the hot plate and kept going as fast as I could.

Walter Laich
02-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Mine does wonderfully running hot.

zuke
02-17-2014, 11:21 PM
I use 2 pot's when casting with 5-6 cavity mold's.
Use one and premelt with the other. No more waiting for the lead to come back up to temp.