PDA

View Full Version : sorry for the mess you southern guys are in right now but

Lloyd Smale
02-12-2014, 09:02 PM
I just have to shake my head. You all talk about how tough you are but the world stops when it gets below freezing and you get a half a foot of snow. Thats just a good day to sit on the lake fishing up here ;) I just wish you guys would quit using up all our propane :)

btroj
02-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Lloyd, they don't have the equipment to handle snow or ice. You have more plows in your county than they might have in half the state.

I can understand the troubles with ice and snow but the drama kills me. News this AM showed interview with a guy who was leaving the state for a few days to avoid the weather. What? If power goes out then learn to cope with it.

Oh, as for propane, burn away! I heat with Natural gas......

Blammer
02-12-2014, 09:06 PM
too funny!

if we had the snow removal equipment it would be a diff story, but when you only get one storm every 3 yrs, well, we'll tough it out a few days.

plus in about 9 months there will be a baby boom....

Mumblypeg
02-12-2014, 09:09 PM
I don't know what all the hoopla is about... It will be gone in a couple of days.... people have just turned in to a bunch of wimps.... heck we used to play in it all day and half the night.... I haven't seen one kid come out of a house around here now.... they must be on the computer....

wallenba
02-12-2014, 09:13 PM
I just have to shake my head. You all talk about how tough you are but the world stops when it gets below freezing and you get a half a foot of snow. Thats just a good day to sit on the lake fishing up here ;) I just wish you guys would quit using up all our propane :)

I lived in the U.P. Lloyd, not too far from where you are, when I was a kid (Rudyard). It didn't even get fun until the snow drifts hit the eave of the roof. Their little drama seems like nothing to us, but it's all relative I guess. In all fairness, in those days though, we had studded snow tires.

williamwaco
02-12-2014, 09:13 PM
Lloyd, they don't have the equipment to handle snow or ice. You have more plows in your county than they might have in half the state.

I can understand the troubles with ice and snow but the drama kills me. News this AM showed interview with a guy who was leaving the state for a few days to avoid the weather. What? If power goes out then learn to cope with it.

More like ALL the state.

I live in Dallas and there is not a single snow plow in the entire Dallas - Fort Worth area.
They use front end loaders, dump trucks, and maintainers.

If you want to see something funny, you need to see a 40 foot long maintainer running over a bridge with one inch of snow drop its blade to contact the snow and stop like it ran into a granite cliff. It just sets there and spins the tires.

fishhawk
02-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Don't know about you Lloyd but we had a unofficial low just a bit north of town of -55 below zero the other day. Really wonder when -10 and no wind feels nice out.

btroj
02-12-2014, 09:15 PM
But William, think what happens of Lloyd hits a week of 105 degree temps........

The entire UP would melt.

Clay M
02-12-2014, 09:15 PM
No problems here. We haven't even lost power yet. I have a 10K generator and I heat with wood so I am not worried about it.

pretzelxx
02-12-2014, 09:17 PM
If you don't measure the snow in feet, it's considered a dusting from the Midwest point of view

wallenba
02-12-2014, 09:41 PM
It's a lot of snow here now, but after the thaw we get the benefits. Lake levels rise in the Great Lakes, sport fisherman have better access to fishing areas that would normally chew up props. Freighters can carry more freight and sit lower in the water. Agriculture should get more irrigation water everywhere.

mac60
02-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Lloyd - It's not you all, it's y'all. Ya gotta loosen up a little.:kidding:

winchester85
02-12-2014, 09:54 PM
i get regular snowfalls over 10" sometimes over a few feet in a couple days. one storm a few years ago i got 50" in 3 days! i have sub-zero on a regular basis. the snow is so deep right now that i cant see my targets from the shooting bench.
but i own 4 different pairs of snowshoes, a skidsteer with a bucket and an 84" snowblower, a plowtruck with a 9' blade, and a chained up log skidder to get any of them unstuck. i have gas heat with wood backup, and plenty of wood. i have extra gas and diesel.

seems to me that these days many people dont want to be prepared, they would rather wait for the gubmint to come save them every time the power goes out or there is any little problem.

jonp
02-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Moved south to NC fr VT. We joke that we have more plows in my town of less than 1000 than all of NC. They really just don't have the equip to handle it here. People panic over a few inches of snow. My sweetie and I laugh and go outside to make snow angels.

Clay M
02-12-2014, 10:10 PM
The south doesn't allot millions of dollars for winter weather, because there is generally not much need for it. This is the worst winter we have had here in over twenty years.

Rick N Bama
02-12-2014, 10:13 PM

I would like to know the source of your information, but it really doesn't matter since we'll be basking in the 60's by this time next week and the plows will be tucked away for another 10 years or so before they're needed again :awesome:

dragon813gt
02-12-2014, 10:24 PM
The south doesn't allot millions of dollars for winter weather, because there is generally not much need for it. This is the worst winter we have had here in over twenty years.

You get it often enough to warrant an investment. This is not the first time I've been laughing at the videos to come out of an Atlanta ice storm. To not be prepared in some way is foolish. The problem is the people don't know how to drive in it. Or to be more precise. They don't know how to stop a vehicle in it or when to stay home. My shop is already closed tomorrow. Better to lose a days wage then die trying to get to or from work.

LAH
02-12-2014, 10:29 PM
We're not as cold here Lloyd as you nor as much snow. The last two years we totaled over a 100 inches but don't think we will make it this year though we have about 4 inches of new stuff in the last 4 hours.

Clay M
02-12-2014, 10:37 PM
You get it often enough to warrant an investment. This is not the first time I've been laughing at the videos to come out of an Atlanta ice storm. To not be prepared in some way is foolish. The problem is the people don't know how to drive in it. Or to be more precise. They don't know how to stop a vehicle in it or when to stay home. My shop is already closed tomorrow. Better to lose a days wage then die trying to get to or from work.

I don't worry too much about what those city folks do. It will do them good to be without their TV for a few days.

Mumblypeg
02-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Lloyd, come down for one of our little humid heat spells one summer.... we are kind of use to them.... BYW.. Atlanta has become the Washington of the South so that should tell you something.... we make do in the country.... but hey, I laugh at them too!

Boogieman
02-12-2014, 10:48 PM
Where is Al Gore? If he doesn't get this global warming stopped soon we're all going to freeze to death

geargnasher
02-12-2014, 10:52 PM
We were basking in the 60s this afternoon, but there was 1/4" of sheet ice on my driveway this morning. We have a lot of snowbirds around here and they all complain bitterly about how cold it feels when it's 40 degrees and misting rain. I've been in snowy places in the winter and it ain't like it is here, it's more like the Atlantic coast. Conversely, even this skinny Texas boy can run around in two feet of powder wearing a windbreaker and be perfectly comfy, provided the sun's out and it's somewhere considerably north of here.

Texas doesn't own a snowplow as far as I know because snowplows are useless on ice. Ice with a little snow on top of it isn't too bad, but we get glossy SHEET ice when we get it, and snowplows won't even make it to the highway. It does snow a bit in the Panhandle Plains, but not more than traffic can keep packed down most of the time.

Some of y'all need to come to Texas and work a hay field in July, we'll see who laughs at who.

Gear

BNE
02-12-2014, 11:00 PM
I grew up here in the upstate of SC. I normally laugh at all the guys who live in snowy states. I always say I can shovel rain all day long......

OK, now you can laugh at me. I am relying on my yankee coworker with a 4 wheel drive to get me to and from work. Out of my 50 employees, I had 4 show up today!

I got home and decided to shovel the drive so it would not turn into a block of ice. You can't even tell I shoveled it now.

I will say this, we typically don't get dry, blowable snow. We get ICE. Even my yankee friends have issues driving on that stuff. Supposed to be in the mid 40s this weekend.:Fire:

schutzen
02-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Lloyd, The most of what you hear is BS from the news media. They try to make everything a major disaster when it is really just an inconvenience. It is true we do not have the amount of snow removal equipment you have in the northern states, but how many auto's in Michigan do not have factory air-conditioning? You can't buy one here. Our heating season is 3 months while our air conditioning season is 6 months. The biggest problem we have is with ice and drivers that do not know how to drive on ice (very slowly). You get passed by a maniac in a 4X4 driving 60-70 mph on icy roads and find him in the ditch 5-6 miles further on. He is tells the wrecker and the police, "Man, I don't know what happened. All of the sudden the road was slick and I spun out of control. I must have hit some black ice." Slow and steady creeps on by and into work. Everything is perspective and realizing the limits of your equipment.

turmech
02-12-2014, 11:04 PM
The south complaining about what is an insignificant amount of snow to a northerner is really just like a northerner talking about how hot it got this summer. Just saying.

BNE
02-12-2014, 11:05 PM
Hey Gear, I spent a few days outside of Dallas in August about 20 years ago. I spent all day outside. It gave me a great appreciation for air conditioning.

I also spent November through February in upstate NY. I honestly never new what it was like to breath in air that was 17 degrees. It froze my nose hairs! Can't imagine the negative stuff.

btroj
02-12-2014, 11:16 PM
BNE, come on out to Nebraska some time. You do understand wind chill, don't you?

We have had way too many sub zero days this year. I didn't sign on for those.

The one thing we don't get is tourists, snowbirds, or other large groups of annoying people. I tolerate much in climate in exchange for fewer people.

LAH
02-12-2014, 11:16 PM
The south complaining about what is an insignificant amount of snow to a northerner is really just like a northerner talking about how hot it got this summer. Just saying.

We are on the same page. I like Beckley because of the weather. We have more days in the summer in the 70s than the 80s & it is very rare to reach 90. It's about 2600 feet at my house so it does snow some of the winter but more days than not I'm able to get out to shoot. So I'm mostly happy here weather wise.

oscarflytyer
02-12-2014, 11:20 PM
LOL! I live here now (N AL) and they freak out at the prediction of snow! I grew up in Indiana - are you kidding me?!?

But as stated above, they don't have the equipment for it here. Plus, nobody ever gets any real experience driving in it - so you know the end results!

dragon813gt
02-12-2014, 11:23 PM
I also spent November through February in upstate NY. I honestly never new what it was like to breath in air that was 17 degrees. It froze my nose hairs! Can't imagine the negative stuff.

That's not even cold. It was 5 when I woke up this morning ;)

There is one reason I will never move south. And it's heat. You can't do anything about it. Especially it you have to work outside in it. Now cold, just put on more layers until you're comfortable. You just end up working slower outside in it. A good portion of out summers here are mid nineties temps w/ relative humidity knocking on 100% so I get to deal w/ both.

Clay M
02-12-2014, 11:24 PM
You should come build some barbed wire fences with me here in July or August.

btroj
02-12-2014, 11:26 PM
I went to school for a lot of years to not build fences anywhere, ever.

Older I get the more I like 40 to 70 degrees. I will say I can tolerate heat more than cold except at work. We keep the thermostat around 68 year round there.

Clay M
02-12-2014, 11:30 PM
I went to school for a lot of years to not build fences anywhere, ever.

Older I get the more I like 40 to 70 degrees. I will say I can tolerate heat more than cold except at work. We keep the thermostat around 68 year round there.

I went to school too ,but we still build our own fences.

osteodoc08
02-12-2014, 11:33 PM
This southern boy is enjoying the snow. Been out riding the four wheelers, playing with the kids, spending time in the man cave cleaning up all the spent primers on the floor, etc. I've got plenty of food and water, I know how to make a fire in the fireplace and have firewood ready to go. Its almost like a mini paid vacation for me. No complaints here.

BNE
02-12-2014, 11:33 PM
BNE, come on out to Nebraska some time. You do understand wind chill, don't you?

We have had way too many sub zero days this year. I didn't sign on for those.

The one thing we don't get is tourists, snowbirds, or other large groups of annoying people. I tolerate much in climate in exchange for fewer people.

The same job that took me to Dallas, took me to the middle of Nebraska. I was doing tests on brick kilns. It was summer, so it was pleasant. I don't know how you get by without any trees! I was amazed at how far you could see. Around here, it is rare to see more than 200 yards due to the hills and the trees. It kinda made me feel naked.....

snowwolfe
02-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Funny topic. My wife and I laughed for about 10 minutes when the TV news showed the supermarket shelves bare. I guess ya'all have full cupboards and fridges but need to buy everything in the store just in case you eat everything in two days, lol.

btroj
02-12-2014, 11:35 PM
I have hunted in central Nebraska where I could look around and see not a single tree, fence post, road, power line, or another person. Just more rolling hills of sand and grass.

Gives A guy a feeling of what it must have been like crossing the country in a wagon. Pretty lonely out there.

randyrat
02-12-2014, 11:46 PM
I do know it is by far easier to drive on icy snow packed roads when it is -20 F than 30 deg F......I can drive normal when it is -20F the tires stick...The moment it warms in the spring the dang roads are slick.

M-Tecs
02-12-2014, 11:49 PM
The biggest problem we have is with ice and drivers that do not know how to drive on ice (very slowly).

Driving very slowly don’t constitute knowing how to drive on ice. The key to driving on ice is doing everything very gently and understanding how to brake and handle skids. Ice driving is both a learned and a natural skill. Some are very good at it and some never acquire the touch. A slow erratic driver is just as dangerous as a clueless fast driver.

phaessler
02-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Lloyd, I spent the first 44 years of my life battling mother nature in New England, I moved South to escape it. And with 1 snowfall each year over 6", Im good with it. When was the last time you had to warm up the leafblower to clean the driveway?

I am also good with no road salt/rotting vehicles, low taxes, a longer growing season, being able to utilize my gun club membership 95% of the year, and the list can go on and on and on.... I don't knock anyone for where they live , nor do I complain or brag about my address.

Luckily its "Snow today, gone tomorrow" most times. Kids are off for a snowday, and probably the rest of the week. I plowed my driveway, and the road to the main road, about 2 miles total tonight, and will do it again in the morning. But things are looking up, I am seeing 50's and 60s coming up next week.

Pete

beemer
02-12-2014, 11:59 PM
I live in the Brushy Mts. in Alexander Co, NC and we are getting it good right now. I know for a fact that we don't have the equipment for heavy snow, I have family that works for the DOT and one of them is out in it now. I have to hand it to them they will put in some loooong hours the next several days.We don't usually have a dry snow like this one, usually it is wet heavy and sticks to trees and power lines.

I live out in the sticks on a dirt road and we are usually on the end of the plow list. That is just a minor inconvenience, I've lived out here for over 50 yrs and plan on staying even if they don't plow the road.

GLL
02-13-2014, 12:14 AM
83 degrees and very sunny today here in Pasadena, CA. The young coeds are running around the campus in shorts and tank tops !
Another brutal winter! Unfortunately we are getting no rain this year. Summer will be bad !

Jerry

country gent
02-13-2014, 12:28 AM
We used to send picture of the snows to cousins in Lufkin Texas. The one snow we dug out parked my jacked up truck in the middle of the drift and sent pictures with the truck ( was on 38" tall tires) in the middle with the sides of the drift still taller than the cabs roof. They called and said it was a set up we did. They got an inch or so of snow and school was cancelled. But there is alot of truth in areas not having the equipment and experience to deal with snow and bad weather.

wallenba
02-13-2014, 12:38 AM
I have hunted in central Nebraska where I could look around and see not a single tree, fence post, road, power line, or another person. Just more rolling hills of sand and grass.

Gives A guy a feeling of what it must have been like crossing the country in a wagon. Pretty lonely out there.

Line from Unforgiven: English Bob to Little Bill... "I thought you were dead". Little Bill to English Bob... "So did I Bob, turned out I was only in Nebraska"

I can poke fun... I was born there, know what it's like.

DougGuy
02-13-2014, 12:49 AM
Most snow is easy to drive on, much easier than ice but today's was dry and slippery, and didn't pack at all. The cops had a few roads closed because people could go down the hill, and couldn't make it back up the other side so it depends also on what -kind- of snow falls if cars can negotiate it or not.

The one thing that did get my attention, they showed it on the news, was a shot from one of the live DOT cameras, a Ford F250, pulling a big Chevy pu, which was pulling a big truck, a Saia day cab with a 53' box, up an onramp!! Even the DOT camera operator zoomed in on the badge to see what kind of truck it was pulling all that! There appeared to be a 3rd crew cab pickup pushing the trailer from behind but they were going uphill, in a tight curve, and pulled the big truck like nobody's business..

contender1
02-13-2014, 12:56 AM
Well, I'm a born & raised NC mountain boy. I learned at a young age how to drive on gravel roads, on ice & snow. At 16 I was in a big flat parking lot when it snowed & was taught how to drive in it. At the age of 55 now, and having traveled a bit, as well as spent my fair share of time in snow, I don't mind what we are getting a bit. Any time we do get a good snow, it does freak out a LOT of people locally. The news media is the worst, followed by the people who do not know how to drive in it.
Throw in the lack of enough equipment it will cause local issues.
No, many cities like Atlanta can NOT afford to buy equipment & have it sit idle for 3-10 years for snows.
We do have some equipment, but not as much as places that deal with it a lot more.

I will disagree with Blammer a tiny bit. He's just up the road from me in Trasheville,,, eerr,,, Asheville. In Asheville there are too many alternative lifestyle types to where locally we won't see that much of a baby boom.

But this hillbilly will be just fine.
I have a tractor & scrape blade if needed. I have a good generator, an ATV, extra gas, plenty of propane, different ways to cook, my own well, etc. I have all I need to survive this weather & be just fine. Heck, in my little town there is a section of road, about 8 miles worth where it is the ONLY road in & out of the area. If you live in that section, and the roads get blocked on either end, you may be stuck for a while. In 1993, we had a good blizzard with high winds. Hundreds of trees filled with snow & ice fell in the roads etc. This valley was shut off from the surrounding towns for 4 days. No power for 11 days. However, me & my family were just fine. In fact, we did quite well during it all & I helped a lot of folks survive the mess.
So, I don't let this stuff bother me. I do as I please.

dagger dog
02-13-2014, 01:22 AM
Where is Al Gore? If he doesn't get this global warming stopped soon we're all going to freeze to death

You don't quite get it, do you ?

What do you think is causing all these strange weather ( daily ) changes in the climate (long term) patterns ?

Alaska is having one of their warmest winters in short term history, and the south eastern tier of states are experiencing record snows and ice storms, while the Midwest is setting in the deepfreeze usually contained to the northern states.

Wise up man ! Look into the subject with an open mind and leave the politics to the politicians and the science to the scientists !

For y'all that's in the snow zone right now, it'll be over by Friday. The rest of the winter will be around until March for the Midwest, I've seen a foot of snow on an April Easter Sunday.

I was walking around in shirt sleeve for the first time in two months today, called in another fill up for my L.P. tank and was informed that there was a 150 gal maximum drop at $ 5.05 a gallon, so there goes half my S.S. check.

For y'all that's in the midst , tough it out it'll be gone in a couple days, but it's certainly a wake up call, get out this summer and buy what you need (generator, snow chains, shovels, 100# bag of salt etc.) to make it, without throwing in the towel.

I truly believe y'all be using that stuff more and more in the near future !

Lloyd Smale
02-13-2014, 06:28 AM
yes we have snow removal but its not as effeicent as you think theres many days when my wife drives through a foot or more snow on the road to work. theres times when our side road isnt plowed for a couple days. What i shake my head at is all the idiots. Put an inch of snow on the freeway and watch tv and see all the clowns sliding around. Our roads have ice and snow on them most of the winter and people still drive 60-65 on the two lane roads. Heck where theres a one car fenderbender in our county it makes the local news because of how infrequently it happens. Allways said that they out to make a 1.5 mile nascar track up here and have a race in the winter. Id bet my Mother would out run Richard Petty or even one of those old moonshine runners. Only time the winter weather stops anything up here is if its storming so badly that you cant see the front of your own car. So everyone is out of power. Dont people realize down there that power provided to you isnt guaranteed to be there every day and EVERYONEONE needs at least one small generator???? EVERYONE needs a bit of food put away. Oh well at least the stills wont freeze up! All you southern boys want to put on to be so tough. I say grow a set ;) ME im going fishing. its suppose to warm to a nice 8 degrees and were only suppose to get 2-4 inches of snow today. The bay here on lake superior is froze out as far as you can see so im gong to pack the auger and the tipups on the snowmobile and head out when the sun comes up.

Col4570
02-13-2014, 06:38 AM

We should never bring Propanity into the discussion.

Rick N Bama
02-13-2014, 08:10 AM
ME im going fishing. its suppose to warm to a nice 8 degrees and were only suppose to get 2-4 inches of snow today. The bay here on lake superior is froze out as far as you can see so im gong to pack the auger and the tipups on the snowmobile and head out when the sun comes up.

I understand that Ice Fishing is a ton of fun, but as for me I'm waiting until next weekend to go fishing as the highs are to be in the upper 60's and possibly in the lower 70's. Hopefully the warmer temps will have the Crappie biting. I bought a new tube of Sunscreen last week so I'm set:wink:

762 shooter
02-13-2014, 08:49 AM
Enjoy. It's coming your way.

M-Tecs
02-13-2014, 08:53 AM
You don't quite get it, do you ?

What do you think is causing all these strange weather ( daily ) changes in the climate (long term) patterns ?

Wise up man ! Look into the subject with an open mind and leave the politics to the politicians and the science to the scientists !

Climate change happened before man walked the face of the earth and climate change will happen after man no longer walks the earth. The question is what is man's real impact on the climate. The politicians sure as he** don't know. I have worked around scientists and science is mostly controlled by the politics of funding.

beezapilot
02-13-2014, 09:02 AM
I had a great bumper sticker made when I lived in Maine- "Ice and Snow- Bob won't go".

jonas302
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
We get lots of ice and rain in MN to it just gets covered with snow and not melted in the spring there is so much ice pack they cut the roads with carbide teeth on the grader blades We do have lots of equipment and many great people to keep our roads open to think that we can get by with out them is a joke Don't tell me nobody get in accidents I run a wrecker we just get pulled out and go on our way or buy a new car (:

Its a lot easier to put on a coat than it is to get cooled off though

The main thing is that hopefully everybody is safe no matter where they are at

Clay M
02-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Looks like we slipped through the cracks this time. Power went on and off a few times during the night, but everything in fine this morning.I don't mind snow, but I hate ice storms. They break all the limbs and damage my planted pines I have for retirement. I am thankful I missed this one.

dagger dog
02-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Climate change happened before man walked the face of the earth and climate change will happen after man no longer walks the earth. The question is what is man's real impact on the climate. The politicians sure as he** don't know. I have worked around scientists and science is mostly controlled by the politics of funding.

You're correct, but either man has had a hand in speeding up of the effects, or maybe just a fluke of mother earths ever changing personal attitudes.

AKbushman49
02-13-2014, 01:36 PM
dagger- Life go's on. Does anybody remember the +106 deg Missouri in the 60's. How bout the Chesapeake Bay freezing the the 70's, the +100 deg in the Dakota's in the early 80's. And for those that live up here -90 deg in the whole state except for the SE which only got to -20 also in the 80's. Hell they wouldn't let the big jets fly cause their altimeters weren't calibrated for the extreme high pressure twas VFR only. For those that have been around for a while and in other states, freezing rain, black ice, extreme heat, tis part of life deal with it. Diversify don't put all your eggs in one basket. Try to be prepared. Don't depend on one energy supply. Have a back up plan, mother nature is fickle she'll throw ya a curve, usually when ya least expect it. And learn how to deal with it. Oh lest I forget the hurricanes in the gulf and east coast. How bout the dust bowl and drought of the 20-30's. Wow "I beg your pardon I never promised you a rose garden." Ring a bell?
bushman

Boogieman
02-13-2014, 02:13 PM
You are right . Junk science adjusting the facts to support your own ideas. Politicians are using global warming to gain control the people. More regulations on industry & higher taxes. Weather patterns change live with it.

starmac
02-13-2014, 03:59 PM
-90 I thought the all time record low for North America was -80 at prospect creek. They think it probably broke that record a couple years ago, but the new type certified thermometer froze up and malfunctioned at -80 at Jim River.

Col4570
02-13-2014, 06:17 PM
The UK at the moment is battered by gales.Many areas are flooded,the damage is running into many millions of pounds.Whole districts have been evacuated,Some areas have no power.We are lucky to live on High Ground but feel sorry for those who have lost everything.Farmers who have spare fodder are traveling to help those whos cattle and livestock have had no food for a while.Unprecedented devastation over vast areas.It will take a long time to clear up the damage done.

gray wolf
02-13-2014, 07:03 PM

LAH
02-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Cleaned the Ford off so Barbara & I could go for a ride this evening. Maybe I'll do Elly May tomorrow.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Auto/94%20Ranger/DSC06200.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Creekerpics/media/Auto/94%20Ranger/DSC06200.jpg.html)
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/Auto/2007%20Honda%20Element/DSC06203.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Creekerpics/media/Auto/2007%20Honda%20Element/DSC06203.jpg.html)

canthitsquat
02-13-2014, 11:49 PM
Going bass fishing tomorrow, supposed to be in the high 80's.
Sorry!

LAH
02-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Going bass fishing tomorrow, supposed to be in the high 80's.
Sorry!

Sure you're sorry............not.

John Allen
02-13-2014, 11:54 PM
I just plowed 14 inches again today. I am ready for spring!

Lloyd Smale
02-14-2014, 08:11 AM
you can have that high 80s ****. 65-80 is where i like it.
Going bass fishing tomorrow, supposed to be in the high 80's. Id rather see in near zero then near 90!
Sorry!

canyon-ghost
02-14-2014, 08:29 AM
And, exactly where does that Propane come from? Down heah.

6bg6ga
02-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Well maybe you southern guys will learn a new respect for the snow and ice us northerners have to deal with. Things don't stop for us when we get an inch of snow or for that matter 12-15" of snow. I've had one weather day in 23 years and that was after everything was covered by 3-4" of solid ice.

Col4570
02-14-2014, 08:38 AM
A brief lull in the weather front last evening but the storms are back today,heavy Rain and High Winds lashing most of the country.Acres of Land underwater,Farm animals are being moved to High Ground.Down South many homes evacuated by Boat.Forcast today,"a months rain to fall in one day.The Army out sand bagging, clearing waterways and ferrying folks out of danger and Kids to School.Usualy when you in the USA get Snow we follow but this flooding has been with us for 3 weeks now.Cross Channel Ferries have been held in port due to the extreme seas.At the Shooting Range last Sunday you could lean on the wind.

dragon813gt
02-14-2014, 09:04 AM
We got another 6"last night on top of the 12" from the morning and about a 1/4" of sleet and ice in between. And someone is getting fired this morning. One, at least one, of the plow guys from the borough thought it would be funny to plow the piles back into people's driveways. I just finished up digging through a 3' pile of packed snow and ice. Everyone of my neighbors is just as pissed as I am. They literally knocked down an 8' pile of snow at the end of my property that was 3' off the plow line.

jlchucker
02-14-2014, 12:50 PM

He's probably in the Bahama's enjoying the fruits of his propaganda. If not, you guys need to take him outside and throw his sorry butt into a snowbank someplace. Along with all of his followers.

jlchucker
02-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Moved south to NC fr VT. We joke that we have more plows in my town of less than 1000 than all of NC. They really just don't have the equip to handle it here. People panic over a few inches of snow. My sweetie and I laugh and go outside to make snow angels.
And I stayed up here and stoke the stove. I envy your common sense, jonp. I should have made that move myself. Yeah, we cope with it, but only because we've always coped with it. I can put up with snow and cold, but the liberal socialism here is getting worse and worse.

Hogtamer
02-14-2014, 01:40 PM
What we have in GA are lots of trees...put an inch of ice on pines that are everywhere and bring out the saws. I live 1/2 mile from main road and there were over 30 pines from 20 to 70 feet tall down. Just came in from sawing and dragging with some of the neighbors and this is over 30 sq miles near augusta where I live. Hurricane - like repair work to power lines to be done, will take weeks in some areas.

xacex
02-14-2014, 03:33 PM
I wish they had a plow for my town. 12" of snow and it shuts down for everyone but us rednecks with oversized tires on our 4x4 rigs. There are some nasty ruts that develop that stop cars from getting around unless they are awd suv size.

dagger dog
02-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Finally saw the ground on Wed., today another dump covered it again, but at least it ain't the goose egg or single digit cold, 15* tonight, ours should be melted off by Mon.

Beau Cassidy
02-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Not a drop of snow in Nashville, just east, or just north. Go south an hour and there is all you want. It doesn't make a lick of sense to me. I didn't have a drop here at the house. A little rain this evening. Supposed to get into the upper 30's tomorrow and upper 50's Sunday. Might have to cast a few bullets.

Rick N Bama
02-14-2014, 10:00 PM
On the news tonight I saw where 100+ vehicles piled up on an icy road somewhere in PA and here I thought you Yankees knew how to drive on that stuff! OH, what Snow & Ice I had mostly got gone today in our 50deg temps and the rest will be gone by morning as it's now raining. I don't know about you guys, but I'm going fishing tomorrow without having to cut a hole in the ice:) Have fun freezing your *** off!

felix
02-14-2014, 10:14 PM
I would say most of the snow storms south of the Mason-Dixon consist of a dangerous amount of ice, either down first or last. It's best for drivers to stay home or else risk being in a wreck. Up north it seems the snow is more snow like, except in rare storms. This is the year for rare storms or rare sunshine just about everywhere. What board members have been having a "normal" winter, and where would that be? ... felix

btroj
02-14-2014, 10:24 PM
We are light on snow and heavy on cold. I usually figure on a Day or two of sub zero cold per winter, this year we have far exceed that.

I fear the March and April snows, they tend to be heavy around here.

Houndog
02-14-2014, 10:26 PM
A brief lull in the weather front last evening but the storms are back today,heavy Rain and High Winds lashing most of the country.Acres of Land underwater,Farm animals are being moved to High Ground.Down South many homes evacuated by Boat.Forcast today,"a months rain to fall in one day.The Army out sand bagging, clearing waterways and ferrying folks out of danger and Kids to School.Usualy when you in the USA get Snow we follow but this flooding has been with us for 3 weeks now.Cross Channel Ferries have been held in port due to the extreme seas.At the Shooting Range last Sunday you could lean on the wind.

At least we havn't had the winds and flooding youall are contending with! Keep dry and above all else, BE SAFE!

dragon813gt
02-14-2014, 10:40 PM
On the news tonight I saw where 100+ vehicles piled up on an icy road somewhere in PA and here I thought you Yankees knew how to drive on that stuff!!
I didn't check the news but the Turnpike was shut down for awhile today. And no one can drive on ice around here. Snow and ice are two drastically different things. They weren't able to get the roads down to blacktop before people went to work. W/ about a 1/4" of ice under packed snow it was very slick this morning. But even worse is right now. It started melting today and the roads didn't dry out. There is black ice everywhere. There will be quite a few fatalities tonight because people will be driving to fast.

Mod42
02-14-2014, 10:55 PM
Wow....bad winter all over the country. So bad that we now have five pages of, "my winter is worst than yours" and "I'm tougher than you are". A silly game we play when the weather is bad!! I want summer so that we can start playing the my boolit is better than your boolit game!! And for all you guys going fishing.....I just hope that the ice is off the lakes when fishing season opens here in the beginning of May! Stay warm.......

DRNurse1
02-14-2014, 11:02 PM

Global Warming...I mean the PC Climate Change ( hot or cold, it is a change so surprise 90+% of scientists agree there is climate change LOL) must be happening somewhere else.

Do not forget folks are trying to drive in this stuff with summer tires...no way to clear the snow and slush designed in them. Stay safe, stay warm and laugh at us in a couple of months.

Col4570
02-15-2014, 01:41 AM
At least we havn't had the winds and flooding youall are contending with! Keep dry and above all else, BE SAFE!
05.30 am,Saturday,some ridge Tiles blown off the Roof during the night,Eldest Grandson will fix new ones when the Gale abates,he is in the building Trade.
Regards.

Rick N Bama
02-15-2014, 08:09 AM
I didn't check the news but the Turnpike was shut down for awhile today. And no one can drive on ice around here. Snow and ice are two drastically different things. They weren't able to get the roads down to blacktop before people went to work. W/ about a 1/4" of ice under packed snow it was very slick this morning. But even worse is right now. It started melting today and the roads didn't dry out. There is black ice everywhere. There will be quite a few fatalities tonight because people will be driving to fast.

You've just made my point for Ice is Ice no matter where it is!

btroj
02-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Yes, Ice is ice no matter where but we are used to driving on it and have salt and sand to help make it passable. We don't close up shop for the entire town because of a storm. We sure as heck don't have traffic jams like Atlanta did over a little ice or snow.

It is more about mindset than anything. Many in snowy areas just view it as something to cope with, not something that keeps is home. We battle the elements and refuse to let them win.

This isn't that different than people in the south laughing at northerners who die when temps hit 90 degrees. It is what you become accustomed to and just learn to cope with.

We all have our own wacky weather to deal with and learn to make do.

phaessler
02-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Having lived on both sides of the Mason Dixon line, I will never go north of it again, in my eyes its not a survival game, or who can do what where. Its about being able to conduct your daily life with as few interruptions as possible, so you can get to free-time, family time, and fun time. Having to deal with Nature day after day from November to sometimes April, well I have better things to do. Yes, we lose a week or so when there is a storm of this size, but mostly its good. Folks here stay in, its more fun to stay home last I checked than to try to challenge nature to get to work or anywhere for that matter. I start my gardening in March, finish it out by Thanksgiving. How many can say they mowed their lawns in December? Sure is a lot more fun than shoveling the 2-3 months out of the year.
Again, I wont knock it to hard, I worked outside in New England, a lot. Working in a Body Shop, we did a lot of towing on major roads up there, and Mother Nature greatly contributed $$$$ for me to be able to move South. As always to each his own. Best part is if you don't like it, your free to move around the country, without "papers".

Pete

dragon813gt
02-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Double Post :banghead:

dragon813gt
02-15-2014, 08:31 AM
You've just made my point for Ice is Ice no matter where it is!
Not really since the accident is not the norm. The roads were not cleared properly and people were driving to fast on them. It people would have been driving properly the ice wouldn't have prevented anyone from going about their daily routine. And it's very easy to pile up cars on limited access roads w/ few exits. What wasn't reported was the tens of millions that went to work like normal.

You can keep that. Talk about the biggest waste of time ever ;)

dagger dog
02-15-2014, 09:27 AM
There is a large coal burning power plant that sets on the north bank of the Ohio River about 25 miles as the crow flies from our house, so the county has plenty of cinders to mix with the salt.

If the rural roads are iced over or snow packed, the county road crews know most of the trouble spots and drop the mix there and at all intersections.

Every winter it takes a couple good snow days to get your "winter driving legs" under you and you learn pretty quick to keep the speed down and increase the distance between vehicles.

I'm glad I don't have to fight the traffic in the city (Louisville Metro-Southern IN) anymore. [smilie=2:

6bg6ga
02-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Wouldn't the cinders alone make for some help in traction? The cinder/salt mix should work really well. If not I probably have 300lbs of road sand that I have swept off my garage floor this winter that I could send you. Iowa's winter has to suck worse that what you folks are getting down south. The main difference is we are taught to drive on the **** and we have plows and the equipment to handle about anything that comes at us.

Rick N Bama
02-15-2014, 09:56 AM
What wasn't reported was the tens of millions that went to work like normal.

In my 31 years with the Phone Co. I never missed a days work due to the weather. I was only late 2 times & that was due to the road being blocked with fallen trees.

and we have plows and the equipment to handle about anything that comes at us.

Slowly, but surely, we are getting more equipment for the Winter Travel problems. Even the small town of Hanceville AL was able to purchase a used Snow Plow 2 years ago. It really helped them out this week.

I've received a bit over 10" of Snow this week and now all that remains is a small amount on the north side of my house that does not receive any Sunshine at all.

dragon813gt
02-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Just saw the report about the Turnpike crash. Happened right after they lifted the speed restrictions and put it back to 65. The sign said 65 so it must be safe for me to drive that fast :banghead:

6bg6ga
02-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Just saw the report about the Turnpike crash. Happened right after they lifted the speed restrictions and put it back to 65. The sign said 65 so it must be safe for me to drive that fast :banghead:

Unfortunately people don't seem to understand that the speed limit is posted with the idea of IDEAL conditions. Not to long ago there was some black ice on one of the interstates here and about a dozen or so cars went into the ditches before the idea to slow down actually caught on. You just can't take the stupid out of some people.

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2014, 10:43 AM
drove 560 miles round trip down state yesterday. Most of it on I 75. It was storming about half way there. Freeway was snowcovered and i chuckled talking to my wife when the traffice had really slowed down. Heck the trucks and little old ladys were barely making 65 and normal 75-80 mph traffic was down to 70. told my wife that if those moon shine runners would have came up here for a couple winters and really learned to drive on slippery surfaces there dirt road driving would have improved to the point that few of them would have been caught. Heck we could have found someones grandma to teach it!!;) Just on a side note. GM has a track up here on a deactivated air force base that is used to test there electronic traction control and abs braking. I talked to the guy running the place a couple years ago about it. He said that at first it was a GM delco training track but Gm had to shut it down and open it back up as a non union seperate company because what was happening is guys from detriot were using there senority to bump into the jobs and when they got there it took at least a year or two to teach them how to drive and usually by then they were sick of the cold and posted out. He said it seems like they couldnt get anywhere until they renamed the company and started using local employees that had been driving on slippery surfaces since they were 16. Junior Johnson may have been the king of the dirt road but id about bet a decently skilled school teacher up here would give him lessons on driving in the snow with a suburu

LAH
02-15-2014, 11:37 AM
We're not as cold here Lloyd as you nor as much snow. The last two years we totaled over a 100 inches but don't think we will make it this year though we have about 4 inches of new stuff in the last 4 hours.

Need to make a correction here as my figures are wrong & I'm not sure how I messed them up. Last year our totals were 70 inches. 2009-10 season was 134 inches. 2010-11 season was 93 inches. As of yesterday we've had 58 inches. It snowed last night & is snowing as I type this. FYI our average is 55-60 inches so we will probably be a little above average by the end of season unless we get another major storm. Sorry for the mistake.

Lloyd Smale
02-15-2014, 12:04 PM
thats still some snow lynn. We get about 3 times that and some areas up here get quite a bit more then that. Like where Adam (freekshow) lives there count can get up to 500.

richhodg66
02-15-2014, 01:14 PM
We got about a foot last week here which is a pretty good snow for northern Kansas. They did cancel school a couple of days.

I hate this time of the year whether it snows or not. Deer season is over and it's still two months before the bowfishing begins and before I can ride a motorcycle whenever I want to. Winter sucks, doesn't really matter where you are.

dragon813gt
02-15-2014, 01:17 PM
And I'm complaining about 48" for the year :laugh:

Col4570
02-15-2014, 05:16 PM
Fixed the Roof today or rather my Grandson did,I assisted.The wind was so high we had to lash the Ladders and Roof Ladder.In my 77 years I have never known such appalling weather.This evening the wind has abated but the rain persists.Forcast for tomorrow is fine but cold with possible snow.Going to the range Tomorrow 300 Yards with my 45.70 Pedersoli Sharps Silhoette and P 53 Enfield.