PDA

View Full Version : PBTP - What colors are working for you?

supersniper
02-12-2014, 07:01 PM
What Powder by the Pound colors are you using and how are they working for you?

Please list color and item number.

Thanks!

Super Sneaky Steve
02-12-2014, 07:17 PM
SKU 16211 Super Durable Wet Black works great with only one coat tumble method. I just whacked one with a hammer and it worked flawlessly.
https://www.powderbuythepound.com/SUPER_DURABLE_WET_BLACK/

I already posted my results here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?226662-Definitive-List-What-powders-work-and-what-powders-don-t

garym1a2
02-14-2014, 05:05 PM
1. Powder by pound RAL 5011 STEELE BLUE . Very good
2. Powder by pound RAL 6010 GRASS GREEN. Great

bstone5
02-14-2014, 06:10 PM
The colors used so far are

Mirror Blue
Mirror Green
Mirror Red
Mirror Yellow
Mirror Orange
Plain White

supersniper
02-15-2014, 10:10 AM
I ordered the Super Durable Wet Black, Super Durable Wet Blue and Kawasaki Green - expect them next week and already have boolits to coat. Will update with results when done.

bayjoe
02-15-2014, 07:41 PM
I use a blue and a green and both work fantastic.

Super Sneaky Steve
02-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Today I tried doing a second coat by just throwing the bullets on the tray instead of putting them base down. Big mistake! The bullets that touched would pull the PC off of one of the bullets when separated exposing the bare lead.

Next time, I"ll go back to putting them base down. Even if it takes longer.

prickett
02-16-2014, 09:05 PM
Today I tried doing a second coat by just throwing the bullets on the tray instead of putting them base down. Big mistake! The bullets that touched would pull the PC off of one of the bullets when separated exposing the bare lead.

Next time, I"ll go back to putting them base down. Even if it takes longer.

Steve, did the boolits cool before you pulled them apart? If so, shake the tray immediately after pulling the tray from the oven (while the boolits are still around 400 degrees). They pull right apart without any exposing of lead.

Super Sneaky Steve
02-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Steve, did the boolits cool before you pulled them apart? If so, shake the tray immediately after pulling the tray from the oven (while the boolits are still around 400 degrees). They pull right apart without any exposing of lead.

I pulled them appart with plyers since they were pretty stuck as soon as I removed them. Too hot to touch. Maybe I need to be quicker.

As far as testing goes, I shot my .38 spl rounds today and accuracy was great. I also had a very clean gun after 50 rounds.

I also loaded my .45's today and did a function test in my 1911. They cycled well but I noticed the nose of the bullet deformed where it hit the ramp. I guess the baking really does soften them up a bit. There was no PC on the ramp and no exposed lead, just a dent.

prickett
02-16-2014, 11:30 PM
Steve, was that the super durable wet black you shot today?

Super Sneaky Steve
02-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Steve, was that the super durable wet black you shot today?

Yup, I shot all three colors. All were .38 special Lee 158TL. My best group was with the SDWB. Not sure if it was me or the boolits.

supersniper
02-19-2014, 12:40 AM
Ok, coated boolits today with Super Durable Wet Black, SD Wet Blue and Kawasaki Green.

All coated nicely but the Black was the best. Can't really go wrong with any of them.