PDA

View Full Version : it's getting easier

Blanco
02-12-2014, 07:33 AM
This past weekend I poured my first boolits.
I have come back to the melting pot every night since. I really get obsessed with trying to attain perfection in a lot of things I do.
My feeling is I will be at this game a while.
My first attempt were some .40 cal from a Lee 6 banger. My lead content was probably around 95% and I had issues with the mold.
Back to the Cast Boolits site and a lot of reading.
Next night switched to the 9mm 6 banger the improvement was a quantum leap for me. The alloy was much better. Bullets actually looked usable.
Switched back to the .40 to try my hand again with a better blend on my melt and a little experience. The results were loadable projectiles without sizing!
Not saying I have it right .... But I keep moving closer to Nirvanna.
Thanks to all those who have helped with advice and comments. Thanks also to those who un-knowingly helped by leaving a bit of their knowledge here. I have used it and will hopefully pay it forward in the future.

JASON4X4
02-12-2014, 07:55 AM
Congratulations all it takes is some practice to get it down

bhn22
02-12-2014, 10:00 AM
It's one of those things you just have to keep working with until it all comes together. When it does, there's nothing like the feeling you get.

GP100man
02-12-2014, 10:08 AM
Gaining true independance is a great feelin!!!

Now you have the freedom to choose any boolit ya want !!

I`ll add this , sometimes gettin those new aluminum molds clean from all the cuttin fluid/loobes takes a few heat cycles & cleanings .

smokesahoy
02-12-2014, 10:23 AM
like gp100 said, some of the hassle isnt you, the mold needs to get broken in too, and the various fluids need to come out.

so as your technique is getting improved so is your mold, then all of a sudden they come together and you are getting great bullets!

and then right when you think it's smooth sailing something else will crop up hehe.

Cherokee
02-12-2014, 11:27 AM
Keep casting, practice really helps. Welcome to the world of casting.....