PDA

View Full Version : Which electric pot should I be looking at for smelting?

m1garand_man
02-12-2014, 02:03 AM
I need a bigger electric pot for smelting. Currently I have been using my LEE 10 pound bottom spout pot and its frustrating. I am looking for something with at least 20 pounds of capacity to clean scrap lead that wont break the bank. I know LEE makes one but I was wondering what other options are out there. I want to stick with an electric pot because I don't want to deal with open flame inside my garage.

jmort
02-12-2014, 02:06 AM
The Waage that members are getting for around $165 look real nice.

Hankster1962
02-12-2014, 09:29 AM
I to have an old Lee 10 pounder that I use to melt pure lead in for my cap and ball revolvers. I have had it for about 25 years. I have kept it in tip top shape and get very little dripping. About 14 years or so I bought a Lee 4-20 to cast for my other handguns, and that to has served me very well. This one doesn't leak at all. Say what you want about Lee furnaces, but I swear by them. By the way, I only use clean alloy ingots in my pots. All my smelting is done in a cast iron pot over a turkey fryer.

Moonman
02-13-2014, 10:25 AM
The Waage is a VERY VERY NICE POT!

About $165 or so, good heat control, 20 pounds.

It's just a pot.

gunoil
02-13-2014, 11:06 PM
RCBS Pro melt

cheaper than dirt was where i found one.

Mike W1
02-13-2014, 11:25 PM
If you're determined to use an electric pot to smelt the Lee 20 has to be a no brainer. Personally I'd wait and smelt outside when the weather is decent and cast in the winter, and in fact that's how I do it.

But, I also use my LP furnace in my 12x14 shop to heat it up quick before the wood stove gets hot enough to stand it in there in the winter. It's the same furnace I use for smelting. Used that thing in small tents at work for years and none of us cable splicers ever got sick or died. Your choice of course. Just saying what works.

John Allen
02-13-2014, 11:27 PM
I like the rcbs pots. Buffalo arms usually has good prices on the.

Crash_Corrigan
02-14-2014, 12:42 AM
I smelts outside and the super clean alloy then in ingot form goes into my casting pots. It would be a waste to use a nice electric furnace to smelt alloy in. The bottom pour thingie always gets messed up and plugged if you go that route.

DaveSpud
02-14-2014, 01:40 AM
I use a $5 steel pot I got from the thrift store. It'll smelt about 15-20 lbs per batch. Everyone I've read/talked to says only use clean alloy in the bottom pour pot.