PDA

View Full Version : Tefgel

Captain Capsize
02-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Has anyone tried TefGel spray on for boolit lube? I have been using it for sizing and is slippery as camel snot. Wondering if it would make a good boolit lube. For those that aren't familiar with it; it is in a spray can. It has plenty of solvent in it so it spays on really thin then dries to a clear very slippery grease.

btroj
02-11-2014, 10:42 PM
Slippery isn't always good for bullet lube. It is often very bad.

I also don't think a slippery grease is what I want on bullets in storage or on the nose of bullets in loaded ammo.

44man
02-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Slippery isn't always good for bullet lube. It is often very bad.

I also don't think a slippery grease is what I want on bullets in storage or on the nose of bullets in loaded ammo.
Exactly, I can't say it better.

Ben
02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
A good bullet lube is about 50 things OTHER THAN something that is slick.

Ben

btroj
02-12-2014, 07:26 PM
We really need to call it something other than lube. It does way more than lubricate.

Norbrat
02-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Has anyone tried TefGel spray on for boolit lube? I have been using it for sizing and is slippery as camel snot. Wondering if it would make a good boolit lube. For those that aren't familiar with it; it is in a spray can. It has plenty of solvent in it so it spays on really thin then dries to a clear very slippery grease.

Might be good as a case lube.

Captain Capsize
02-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Yep, I understand all the above there is a lot to casting and shooting cast I have to learn yet.

Ben
02-12-2014, 11:08 PM
Yep, I understand all the above there is a lot to casting and shooting cast I have to learn yet.

Yes, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

People that have been doing this for 50 yrs. + started out with little support , little to read and little help from other shooters / casters.

The internet and forums like this are a God Send of information to young casters and shooters.

Ben

btroj
02-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Don't forget that Ben didn't learn it all overnight either!

Please spend more time casting, loading, and shooting than you spend here. That is where real learning takes place. Practical experience is more important than anything.

bruce381
02-13-2014, 02:09 AM
""We really need to call it something other than lube. It does way more than lubricate.""

sealant

357maximum
02-13-2014, 11:25 PM
""We really need to call it something other than lube. It does way more than lubricate.""

sealant

If that was all it did my form-a-gasket, and cotton string tests would have went alot better than they did......boolit loob, lubes it just happens to not be it's only job...too much "lube" interferes with it's other duties.......I am not sure of it's total job description but lube and sealant are BOTH required on it's resume.

btroj
02-13-2014, 11:30 PM
It does so much more than lubricate but lubrication is a part, but a part that needs to be kept in check.

Come on Mike, come up with a catchy term that sums it all up.

btroj
02-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Loobrisealnogallinonresidualicant?

357maximum
02-13-2014, 11:44 PM
gazuntight

btroj
02-13-2014, 11:47 PM
Thank you.

Sadly, that still isn't a complete description.

runfiverun
02-14-2014, 01:30 PM
if we knew exactly what it done it would make it a lot easier to make a guess at how to make it work perfectly every time.
I really think it's job changes throughout the barrel, so it's qualifications need to change throughout the journey. [based on pressure]

geargnasher
02-14-2014, 02:04 PM
If that was all it did my form-a-gasket, and cotton string tests would have went alot better than they did......boolit loob, lubes it just happens to not be it's only job...too much "lube" interferes with it's other duties.......I am not sure of it's total job description but lube and sealant are BOTH required on it's resume.

I looked into that stuff for about a millisecond, the problem is it's too dadgum sticky/tacky and doesn't slide through the bore very well at mach II.

BTDT with "stop-leak" lubes, the solids cause their own problems. Even graphite and soap fibers can be a problem if the pressure is high enough.

A lube DOES need to lube, but not really lube the boolit. I consider it more of a stop leak that has to be slippery enough to allow itself to slide through the bore. We know that plain COW filler can do the lubing and leak-stopping without actually lubing the boolit, as can dry or lubed paper.

Gear

357maximum
02-14-2014, 08:53 PM
We know so much, but so little......keeps one just on the edge of frustration at times.......you should have seen the confetti from shooting boolits wrapped with cotton butchers string........kinda cool, but what a PIA process....makes paperpatch look like kids play.

Still not 100% sure what that "foray" taught me actually. It worked, but not as well as a good lube that is tune with it's load/barrel requirements.....glad I have a few recipes that are goodnuff.....hanging the alchemist hat on the hook.......trying desperately not to think about boolit loob in fact, but there are times as I drift off to sleep at night where I fail miserably at that task.

btroj
02-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Boolits wrapped in string? Dang man, you had it bad!

runfiverun
02-15-2014, 12:21 AM
probably worked better than the rubber O-rings I tried once. [sigh]

btroj
02-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Rubber O-rings? Hope they weren't on 22s.

Dang, I'm just a noob here. I haven't done any of this. No strong, o-rings, sawdust, dryer lint, or ear wax on my bullets. Am I missing out or just smart enough to say no to drugs?

357maximum
02-15-2014, 12:17 PM
Boolits wrapped in string? Dang man, you had it bad!

I was trying to seperate out the function of lube and the loob grooves wrapped with lightly loobed string was supposed to learn me alot more than it did......wrap the string the wrong direction an cool "confetti" came floating out the sky however. :lol: Even wrapped the correct way I would get weird flyers....that I did not expect....I was expecting teeny tiny 100% groups....I was wrong...very very very wrong. A typical 5 shot group would have two sets of two touching about an inch apart and a flyer that went 1-2 inches out.....still not sure what I learned other than filling loob grooves consistently with a single strand of consistent length string is a royal P.I.T.A.

Subconciously I think that what I was actually trying to do was find a super secret squirrel method that made one hole rifle groups each and everytime regardless of velocity/pressure so I could impress my friends....I failed. :mrgreen:

357maximum
02-15-2014, 12:19 PM
Rubber O-rings? Hope they weren't on 22s.

Dang, I'm just a noob here. I haven't done any of this. No strong, o-rings, sawdust, dryer lint, or ear wax on my bullets. Am I missing out or just smart enough to say no to drugs?

Sounds like you are not fully committed to the cause to me.

btw ...the dryer lint goes under the boolit not on them. :lol:

runfiverun
02-15-2014, 03:06 PM
dryer lint with dog hair out shoots dryer lint with cat hair by a 3-1 margin too..:lol:

there are still a couple of umm "things" on my list of kinda weird to go yet.
I look forward to the day when I can just sit at the bench shooting loads consisting of 4-10 grs of red dot at the 50 yd target using up all that lube stuff I have acquired over the years.

btroj
02-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Sounds like you are not fully committed to the cause to me.

btw ...the dryer lint goes under the boolit not on them. :lol:

Oh, a few of you should be committed alright.....

Run, I can't even begin to imagine what else there is to try. Matter of fact I'm not even sure I want know.

357maximum
02-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Oh, a few of you should be committed alright.....

Would not argue one second with that sentence.......trust me I have wondered alout what the heck was wrong with me at one of them 2am "possible/maybe aha moments" that force one out of bed to sneak out into the the shop to kook up a test batch based on a thought. Glad them days of acting on such thoughts are over......how long does it take for the thoughts to stop flowing I wonder?????? :lol:

btroj
02-15-2014, 09:17 PM
They never do, or I sure hope they don't. I think that is why you make lubes, it is to calm the voices in your head. I understand, I suffer from the same thing.

Lying awake at night thinking about lube, bullets, and what to do next isn't nearly as relaxing as counting sheep. Come to think of it, I never have counted sheep. If I tried to all I would think of is lanolin......

357maximum
02-15-2014, 09:26 PM
I never have counted sheep. If I tried to all I would think of is lanolin......

You live in Nebraska and you expect us to believe that statement...not a chance...I have heard stories about them Westerners and their sheep err umm giii iii iirrls.....not buying it for one second, not unless you were trying to figure out how to remove lanolin from denim that is. :lol:

btroj
02-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Not many sheep here, just cows. Lots and lots of cows. Now Wyoming, they have sheep.

357maximum
02-15-2014, 09:37 PM
I could almost hear the dissapointment in that post :lol:

btroj
02-15-2014, 09:43 PM
I did hear from a Michigander that sheep aren't too baaaaaad.

357maximum
02-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Slow cooked over low coals they taste pretty good if you get em young enough...so I guess you are correct.

geargnasher
02-15-2014, 11:55 PM
not unless you were trying to figure out how to remove lanolin from denim that is. :lol:

If you're from Texas you know not to get lanolin on your britches in the first place: Stuff 'em in your riding boots. Duh.

Gear

357maximum
02-16-2014, 12:16 PM
.......never argue with the voice of experience :lol:

btroj
02-16-2014, 12:17 PM
I don't hear anyone arguing with you Mike.....

montana_charlie
02-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Tef-Gel may feel slick, but it's not even advertised as a lubricant.
It's purpose is to act to prevent galvanic corrosion between metal parts.

While it might substitute for anti-seize compound on the sprue plate pivot screw, it is a long way from anything that resembles bullet lube.

CM

Captain Capsize
02-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Tef-Gel may feel slick, but it's not even advertised as a lubricant.
It's purpose is to act to prevent galvanic corrosion between metal parts.

While it might substitute for anti-seize compound on the sprue plate pivot screw, it is a long way from anything that resembles bullet lube.

CM
Not quite true. http://www.lawsonproducts.com/Lawson/Tef-Gel-PTFE-Penetrating-Gel-Lubricant/97673.lp

Last week as I was riding one of my old bikes the speedometer started squealing so I stopped and took the speedo cable loose. When I got home I sprayed some Tefgel up into the speedo cable fitting and put it back together. Have rode it for many miles since and works like a charm. I am not saying it is the greatest stuff on earth but I like it and use it a lot.