PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Lyman Mag 20 for cheap and a Question

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Found a great deal on Craigs list today :bigsmyl2: A Lyman Mag 20 for $60.00

Not in the best "looking" condition so i've already taken it apart and started sanding and cleaning for new paint and need to know if i should use Hi Temp paint on it or what type, and also what is the insulation inside the unit and where could i get some more to add too it when i put it back together ?

Thanks for your help on this, Steve

jsizemore
02-11-2014, 09:54 PM
I scavenge wire and insulation from self cleaning ovens.

KYCaster
02-11-2014, 10:41 PM
The insulation is ceramic wool. Search for "Kaowool".

Your local appliance parts supplier may have the insulation and will definitely have the hi-temp insulated wire.

Jerry

Edit to add.........the metal case doesn't get hot so any paint should do.

bhn22
02-11-2014, 11:09 PM
And the pot itself gets hot enough that even the high temp stuff doesn't survive. If the bolts that go through the lip of the pot are really rusty, consider getting stainless steel bolts from the hardware store. Obviously, don't use galvanized hardware on it, even though it probably wouldn't be enough contaminate anything.

BACKTOSHOOTING
02-12-2014, 12:05 AM
And the pot itself gets hot enough that even the high temp stuff doesn't survive. If the bolts that go through the lip of the pot are really rusty, consider getting stainless steel bolts from the hardware store.

They are rusted and i am going to replace with SS and also the sheet metal screws.