PDA

View Full Version : Canik55 TP-9

smokesahoy
02-11-2014, 09:11 PM
So I bought one of these when they were on sale and it was initially kind of disappointing when it came to the trigger pull. I shot it a couple times with some factory remanufactured rounds and put it in the safe and forgot about it. it was reliable but i didn't like the trigger was all.

When I was working loads for my glock 23 I was having some issues with reliability, and had no reliable oreos one day when i had to go into town so grabbed that and went. It rode real good despite being a full size and concealed easy since it is winter, and I was carrying it a lot more as the .40 was still out of commission and I hadn't had a chance to load up some carry ammo for it that I felt confident in, I was mainly playing with the 40 and carrying the 9 with factory softpoints.

Anyhow I was watching tv and pulled it out and started trying to figure out the weird trigger on it, where the creep was coming from, where the rough was coming from etc. I ended up just dry firing it a ton over a few days, that fixed the trigger pull but there was a rough in there that ended up being the striker. putting some ac100 into the striker housing got the grit out and the trigger is fine now. one thing of note is the trigger reset is incredibly short.. like 1mm?

so once the trigger was nice i loaded up a bunch of saeco #377 lead TN rounds. I had bought these because they were a good deal but I hadn't used them before. When I was loading I got po'd at the location of the lube groove, they must make this bullet for another caliber, i dunno, but if I just barely cover the lube groove I can load to 1.095 which isnt too bad. I worked up a quick load with 800x which rapidly progressed to max book of 6.5. It shoots without recoil, empties land right by me and holy cow is it accurate. The reset on the tp-9 and the lack of recoil allow for rapid fire barrages of lead downrange and it feels like I am shooting my ruger sr-22.

Well, just having a bunch of fun with a different caliber in a gun that had unfavorable first impressions but quickly became extremely favorable, and I don't see people talking about this, if you are looking for a new import coming to the US for really cheap, its a great buy. Just work that trigger out before shooting it. strange trigger, but it works.

guncheese
02-14-2014, 08:46 PM
there are 3 things i dont like about my tp-9
1. the DA pull
2. the sights
3.its not near as accurate as my 1911

other than that its a swiss sewing machine! eats everything and doesn't miss a beat
and the trigger reset makes the DA pull worth while
i carry mine 24/7 (except when in the shower although i think that wouldnt bother it)
had holster made for it (he used a p99 blue gun for the model)

smokesahoy
02-15-2014, 03:58 AM
Hey man, remember back in the day we would break in guns by shooting them? To expensive now. But this gun absolutely needs to be broken in. Dry fire it a few thousand times, literally, that trigger is not bad at all on DA.. No worse than any other that is... I'm not a fan of DA though. I don't know where to hone it to fix it but just dry firing before lube will work everything into place.

Kinda wish it had a hammer but that striker is a beast. And not sure how I feel about location of the decocker. That's foreign for you though, not better not worse just different