PDA

View Full Version : A question for our Truck Driver members

Dean D.
02-11-2014, 08:32 PM
I have purchased a 48' dry van in Dublin, CA and need to get it hauled up to the Spokane, WA area. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reputable "Power only, tow away transport company"? I've searched the internet and found many websites but have no clue on who would be best for the job. :roll: [smilie=1:

Any help would be very much appreciated! I've never done anything like this before and hope I don't have to again! LOL

tommag
02-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Not sure who, but be prepared forsome repair bills. Any lights, wheel deals, brakes, tires, etc. that aren't up to snuff will be fixed.

Dean D.
02-11-2014, 08:50 PM
I'm buying this van from a trailer sales company and one of the stipulations was that the trailer be road worthy and DOT legal. Got my fingers crossed on that one.

backroad
02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Try rex&don they seem to due well.

starmac
02-11-2014, 09:04 PM
I don't know where they are, but my wife still has the power only info stored away, I would imagine. Trailer transit is a big one and does a lot of business in that area. They are not the one that I liked doing business with, but their name escapes me at the moment (not unusual) When she gets home I will see if she still has the numbers. One way transport was a power only company run by one of Dick Simons sons. I never pulled for them because they were cheap on the pay end, but they may be cheap on your end too.

Dean D.
02-11-2014, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the help guys, every bit is deeply appreciated.

To expand on my adventure, the reason I bought the van was to move my MIL's household goods up here. She priced using the "Pod" system and renting a large Uhaul truck and additional trailer to get all her stuff moved. In the end she would have spent as much or more than this van cost me including having it hauled. This way we will have a van to use for storage after the move is done.

The van I purchased is a 1985 Utility Reefer van with the reefer unit removed. I bought it from a trailer sales outfit and they guaranteed it to be road worthy and pass DOT inspection. I've seen pics of the tires and they have good tread. Got my fingers crossed on the brakes and lights.

It's been tough doing this all from long distance, tougher than I first thought it would be.

waksupi
02-11-2014, 09:32 PM
You could give this a shot;

http://www.uship.com/

OBIII
02-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Make sure you have some type of coverage on the contents you will have in it. Strange things can happen going from point A to B.

OB

Dean D.
02-11-2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks Ric, I'll check that out.

Dean D.
02-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Good point Ollie, thanks!

waksupi
02-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Dean, I dropped a message to a friend who drives over the road truck based near you. I'll let you know if he has a good solution.

Dean D.
02-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Thanks Ric. Been doing some surfing, I see Swift Transport has a terminal in Lathrop, CA (very near Dublin) and Lewiston, ID. I'll try giving them a call tomorrow and see if they might be a viable option. Not sure if they do power only transport though.

starmac
02-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Here is the info on trailer transit, that specializes in power only, and at least used to run that part of the world a lot.

Operating Status: AUTHORIZED FOR Passenger, Property Out of Service Date: None
Legal Name: TRAILER TRANSIT INC
DBA Name:
Physical Address: 1130 EAST US HIGHWAY 20
PORTER, IN 46304-4000
Phone: (219) 926-2111
Mailing Address: 1130 EAST US HIGHWAY 20
PORTER, IN 46304-4000
USDOT Number: 207513 State Carrier ID Number:
MC/MX/FF Number(s): MC-160088
DUNS Number: 29-633-849
Power Units: 267

Dean D.
02-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Thanks Starmac! I'll post my results when I do get something arranged.

starmac
02-11-2014, 11:09 PM
If you do try U-ship, you need to know this. You can not have any direct contact with anyone bidding on your load until you accept the bid, at which time you owe U-ship some wild brokerage fees. Anybody can bid on your load, whether they have a truck or not, Lots of guys thinks they can buy a truck somewhere and get a load to offset their cost gettting it home, this is not the case ordinarily. If your load gets stuck at a scale, it will probably be towed to a storage facility, with expensive fees added daily until you can get a legal carrier to finish the load. If you go this route get their dot # and check it out on safer dot net for their currant status. U-ship gets their fees before the deal is even done, and they will not help you if you are dealing with a bootlegger period, they are under no obligation or care if your freight is ever delivered.

One more thing to consider, unless you hire a household carrier (beeeeeg bucks) then the freight (household goods) will not fall under the companies insurance, it is a whole different ball game, than common freight.

reddoggm
02-11-2014, 11:27 PM
I have a good friend who lives in Orofino ID whom owns a small trucking outfit I,ll give him a call and see if he knows of anyone that has a bobtail deal out of Cali going North

Bullshop Junior
02-11-2014, 11:50 PM
How about flying down, and renting a truck?

starmac
02-12-2014, 01:03 AM
Hopefully there is room at your MIL place to drop the trailer for a while while it is being loaded. The trailer dealer probably has people he uses to deliver that would drop it. If you need the power only to pick it up and stay there while it is being loaded, it will complicate matters, besides get spendy.

Dean D.
02-12-2014, 02:00 AM
Reddoggm, thanks!

Starmac, I have made arrangements for the trailer dealer to deliver the trailer. My MIL is working on finding a descent place for them to deliver it. She lives on a culdesac so parking it in front of her house is do-able but problematic. I have her searching for a fenced RV/Boat storage yard or something similar to have it delivered to and held until I can arrange a truck to haul it this way. Working on short notice has made this a real scramble. I'll sure be glad when we get her moved.

jonp
02-12-2014, 11:58 AM
You might try Bennett. http://www.bennettdriveawayservices.com/index.php

They have been around 25yrs or so. I'm not sure if they do single private drops but if they don't they might be able to set you on the course with a couple of recommendations.

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-12-2014, 09:09 PM
r end?

Dean D.
02-12-2014, 09:38 PM
A quick update. The trailer sales company will be delivering the van on Friday and picking it back up on Tuesday after my MIL has loaded it. They have graciously offered to park the trailer in their yard until I can arrange a truck to tow it up here. I've been in contact with an agent and will be getting a quote on having it hauled. Things are coming together. I want to thank you all for your advice, it has been a huge help to me.

Sweetpea
02-12-2014, 10:47 PM
Make sure you have it insured...