PDA

View Full Version : quick question on 38 brass

bmortell
02-11-2014, 06:41 PM
i have some old 38 rounds i shot up and id like to reload the brass the box says Ball caliber .38 M41 lot wcc-1- olin corporation headstamp wcc73 fair condition no corosion no primer crimp can i treat these the same as newer cases

Scharfschuetze
02-11-2014, 07:17 PM
No.

Military 38 Special cases genarally have a crimped in primer. Take a look for a crimp around the primer and if there, you'll need need to remove the crimp with either a cutting tool (available from Lyman) or a primer swaging tool (available from RCBS). If you can't locate a purpose made tool, I've de-crimped with a pocket knife in the past. Just be careful to only remove and overhang over the primer pocket and not do a whole lot more than that if you go the pocket knife route.

This is only a one time operation and once done, you can treat your military 38 brass like any other brand or manufacture.

I've had great luck with long life from military 38 Special brass and it is worth the effort to use them. At one time, Uncle Sam issued me the rounds and only the Lord knows how many cases are out in the garage waiting to get reloaded.

WallyM3
02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
I think even the Mil Spec pistol brass is of heavier construction, i.e. less internal volume. Of interest only for powder load considerations.

It certainly feels "different" in sizing.

dubber123
02-11-2014, 07:32 PM
I think even the Mil Spec pistol brass is of heavier construction, i.e. less internal volume. Of interest only for powder load considerations.

It certainly feels "different" in sizing.

I've used it a bunch, and I seem to recall it was heavier when I sectioned some of the cases. It seems to last forever. I have used my RCBS deburring tool to remove the primer crimp.

WallyM3
02-11-2014, 07:45 PM
I've used it a bunch, and I seem to recall it was heavier when I sectioned some of the cases. It seems to last forever. I have used my RCBS deburring tool to remove the primer crimp.

I meant to touch on its durability. Good stuff, that! Prolly not the best for deeply seated WCs, though.

dubber123
02-11-2014, 07:57 PM
I meant to touch on its durability. Good stuff, that! Prolly not the best for deeply seated WCs, though.

Nope, I remember my early loads with 358091 WC's had a distinct "belly bulge" right where the base of the boolit was.

WallyM3
02-11-2014, 08:04 PM
I already segregate 38 Special from 38 Special WC cases so when I encounter those few Mil Spec cases, I don't even keep them.

Mebbe a dozen in the last 10,000 38s.

Rich/WIS
02-13-2014, 01:42 PM
I have never seen a crimp on any of the military 38 special I have shot or reloaded.

Char-Gar
02-13-2014, 01:53 PM
i have some old 38 rounds i shot up and id like to reload the brass the box says Ball caliber .38 M41 lot wcc-1- olin corporation headstamp wcc73 fair condition no corosion no primer crimp can i treat these the same as newer cases

Yes, if not crimped primers clean and load as newer cases. I have fired many thousands of 38 Special using USGI brass. I don't use them for wadcutter loads, but with RN or SWC they work just fine.

Some lots of USGI 38 Special have crimped primers, but most do not.