PDA

View Full Version : Good news/bad news

bhn22
02-11-2014, 05:48 PM
I bought an RCBS wadcutter mold cheap off GB, and it got here today. Honestly, I didn't expect much because of the price. Oh yeah, the box was damaged too, so I was really pessimistic. Too much bad karma already. I got it out of the box, and the halves wouldn't seperate, no matter what I did. I broke a pencil trying to pry it open. Finally, I took it over to the casting bench and smacked it a couple of times with my mold mallet. It realized the error of it's ways and opened up. The reason it wouldn't open was simple, it's an unused thirty year old mold, and the oil/rust protector the factory put on it had turned to concrete. Ed's Red didn't cut it, so plan B is disassembly, and very cautious razor blade work, followed by Brake Cleaner and a soft brush. We're getting there, but it's gonna take time. It's swimming in Butch's right now. Then more Eds Red. I will win. It will lose. Film at 11.

454PB
02-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Soaking in brake cleaner overnight should help.

waco
02-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Good deal. What caliber?

bhn22
02-11-2014, 06:59 PM
It's a 38 wadcutter. About a month ago I decided to sell off the wadcutter molds (and did), and simplify things a bit. I sold off three molds. I did a silly bid on GB, and this one showed up today, and another one will be here tomorrow.

I think I got some sort of disease. This mold turns out to be identical to the very last mold I sold off. I don't know for certain which ones coming in tomorrow, all I know is that it's another RCBS 38 wadcutter. I traded for it sight unseen.

plainsman456
02-11-2014, 07:48 PM
You got a case of it real bad.:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

You will never be the same.

bhn22
02-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Some days I just shake my head in amazement.

I'm trying to not like wadcutters! They keep following me home.

geargnasher
02-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Good thing. You get an automatic 30-day ban from the site if you sell your last .38 wadcutter mould! :kidding:

Gear

btroj
02-11-2014, 08:52 PM
I don't own a 38 wad cutter mould. I borrowed a nice Lachmiller from the FIL, 3 cav, in the past.

Matter of fact, I don't own any wad cutter moulds. A few SWC but no full WC.

I would ask what that says about me but am afraid of the answers.....

dragon813gt
02-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Soak it in a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. You can't beat it as a penetrating oil.

imashooter2
02-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Boil it in soapy water before you attack it with steel implements...

357shooter
02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Sorry for a stupid question, but what is GB?

I got it, Gun Broker... Is that right?

TXGunNut
02-11-2014, 10:40 PM
I clean my cast iron cookware in an electric oven during a self-clean cycle. I'd try soaking overnight but suspect high temps might do a more thorough job.

John Allen
02-11-2014, 10:46 PM
i wonder if evapo rust would work on it?

bhn22
02-11-2014, 11:00 PM
i wonder if evapo rust would work on it?

I have a Hensley & Gibbs 68 coming that sounds like I'l need it for. I've been wanting to try Evaporust, here's my chance.

bhn22
02-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Boil it in soapy water before you attack it with steel implements...

You'd have no way of knowing this, but I used to work in auto body shops for a decade or so. One of my specialties was custom striping. I'm totally rocking awesome with a single edge razor blade. The molds clean and ready to use now, and not a scratch on the old girl. BTW, foaming bore cleaner did wonders for this one. I kept the blades away from the cavities.

dkf
02-12-2014, 12:54 AM
I have a Hensley & Gibbs 68 coming that sounds like I'l need it for. I've been wanting to try Evaporust, here's my chance.

It works on some things better than others. I have used it on rusted parts where it did not do much for and some parts it removed the rust very well. I went through 10 gallons of it soaking industrial pumps to remove rust/**** before a rebuild.

bhn22
02-12-2014, 09:49 AM
I figured I'd try cleaning the handles first, and if that came out okay I'd try it on the blocks. By the pics, it's surface rust, without any scale. I have other ways to deal with rust effectively, I just want to try it this way. That will likely be next weeks project.

DLCTEX
02-12-2014, 10:42 AM
I remove rust with a citric acid bath, the solution left over from cleaning my brass works well. Don't clean brass in it after using on iron.

gefiltephish
02-12-2014, 05:43 PM
^^I was thinking the same thing. Great minds think alike, eh?! :drinks:

bhn22
02-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Well, the second wadcutter mold showed up today. Remember I mentioned having sold three molds off earlier? You guessed it, it's identical to the first one I sold. I am now almost back exactly where I started from in December. I saw this movie once (The Omen), and will comply. The molds will stay with me, and I will use them. I may take up Bullseye shooting or something. Anything to appease the spirits.

Echo
02-12-2014, 08:11 PM
I've used it, and it's dandy. Works like a champ...

waco
02-13-2014, 01:31 AM
I don't own a 38 wad cutter mould. I borrowed a nice Lachmiller from the FIL, 3 cav, in the past.

Matter of fact, I don't own any wad cutter moulds. A few SWC but no full WC.

I would ask what that says about me but am afraid of the answers.....

Brad needs an intervention....