PDA

View Full Version : Diassembly for Savage 219 action ???

Jack Stanley
02-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Fellas I did some google-fu last night trying to find out how to get a Savage 219 action apart then back together again .... so it works right :wink:Didn't find a thing so if you know where I can find some point me to it will ya ?

I think I got as much as Q-tips and Hornady "One-shot" can do . It works and is better than it was but some of those parts haven't been clean since it left Utica .

Thanks , Jack

geargnasher
02-11-2014, 02:36 PM
This may help: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/savage-220-20-gauge-disassembly-84771/

Me, I just take the buttstock and barrel off, do a few cycles of soaking in solvent and blowing out with compressed air, put a drop or two of oil and grease where it looks like it needs it (bamboo skewer or piece of coathanger wire will reach in there so you can dot it where it needs to go from the tang end), give it a little spritz of spray oil (NON-penetrating kind) to prevent rust, and store it muzzle down after reassembly.

Gear

lkydvl
02-11-2014, 04:01 PM
the 219 is difficult to reasemble due to the heavy spring. There is also great risk of breaking the firing pin when reassembling unless you have a third or forth hand a a jog. Clean it as best you can, relube and shoot it.

Andre`

Jack Stanley
02-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys , I read that write up and since it isn't broken I think I'll clean and lube it as best I can and remember not to dry fire it .

Jack

uscra112
02-15-2014, 09:51 PM
Frank deHaas covered it in "A Potpourri of Single Shot Rifles and Actions".

bstarling
02-15-2014, 10:28 PM
the 219 is difficult to reasemble due to the heavy spring. There is also great risk of breaking the firing pin when reassembling unless you have a third or forth hand a a jog. Clean it as best you can, relube and shoot it.

Andre`

I second that. The taking apart is a job, but the putting together is a mess. I broke a firing pin, made another and damn if I didn't break it. The receiver is in a box waiting for me to get in a better mood. The spring is a big problem.

Bill

Jack Stanley
02-16-2014, 10:53 AM
What I did with the action was soaked it is a four to one mix of kerosene and Marvel Mystery Oil . After a day or so of soaking I used a large syringe from Brownells and squirted that into the tight spots . When finished I gave it the once over with compressed air then a drop of oil on the pins and a dab of grease where needed .

Jack

geargnasher
02-16-2014, 10:25 PM
Good to go. Have you thought about skim-bedding the buttstock to the receiver? I see a lot of those rifles with cracked stocks, I have to wonder if years of oil migration and a poor fit might tend to cause that. A good degreasing of the stock end grain and some Acraglas should prevent that.

Gear

Jack Stanley
02-17-2014, 01:45 PM
I did that too Gear , I got the dremel out and ground a small trough where the stock meets the back of the action and the back of the tang . The tang area looks like it had an old repair there and I used Accraglass gel there . Toward the back of the reciever I used accraglass but added enough of the glass floc so the mix wouldn't drip off a toothpick when moved . Along the sides of the tang veneer strips were glassed in and before glass was added anywhere the area was washed with Accraglass solvent and allowed to dry .

I did forget to put it muzzle down so I think I'll go do that .

Jack

geargnasher
02-17-2014, 08:49 PM
You're way ahead of me! I've been using the Acraglas Gel for the past few years and I'm sold on it: No drips, no sag, no creep. With that stuff and some good modeling clay one can do wonders toward preserving old wood stocks without affecting cosmetics.

Gear