PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper than Dirt

happy7
02-11-2014, 08:02 AM
I remember 10 years ago, I used to scour the internet when I wanted to buy some reloading equipment. It always, at the time, seemed like Midway's after shipping prices were the cheapest. It got to the point that I didn't check some of the others too often, as I always bought at Midway. Then later they always had some promotional code or other. But then they started raising their prices and I found myself saving a little by buying at other stores. I went through the usual lists - Midway, Midsouth, Natchez, Wideners, Grafs, etc. Lately other stores have started selling a lot of reloading equipment. Brownells, for example. But today I happened to check Cheaper than Dirt. I have long known about them for shooting supplies but haven't thought of them for reloading. I bought a set of Lee dies and an auto disk powder measure. I checked usual stores and then cheaper than dirt. It was like rolling back the clock on prices. Most of the other stores were in the 80-85 dollar range including shipping. Cheaper than dirt was $66 and everything I wanted was in stock. I was pretty pleased, as you can imagine. I was so pleased I figured I might as well share with others here in case there are other long time reloaders like me that could also save some money.

Maybe most here already knew this, but it was a pleasant shock to me.

Uncle R.
02-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Oops.
<
Sure hope you've got your flame suit on.
Cheaper Than Dirt? They're gougers and they're evil and they probably torture cats and kick puppies.
No one should ever buy from them - ever - because they're so evil.
<
Why?
<
Because they often had ammo in stock during the great ammo shortage.
<
How did THEY have it in stock when so many others had none? Simple. They - (Gasp - you'd better sit down) they RAISED their prices when supply was short and demand through the roof.
<
According to many here, that makes them evil.
YMMV.
Good luck.
<
Uncle R.

captaint
02-11-2014, 08:43 AM
As I remember, there was a little issue with AR magazines also. Their prices got a little crazy. It's OK, I never bought from them anwhow. Mike

btroj
02-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Oh boy, here we go again..........

I love when people flog deceased equines

CastingFool
02-11-2014, 09:02 AM
their prices may have been cheaper, but their s/h charges were outrageous. Only bought from them one. A Simmons red dot sight, spcl price to NRA members $19.99. I figured I would try it, since I had no experience with red dots. By the time it was over with, I had to pay $30. There wasn't any thing said about minimum order, etc. Have not bought anything from them since, and never will. BTW, you can find reloading equipment on Amazon, too. Lee molds normally run $25.98 for dc. Some are in stock, sometimes not. Not sure if they changed their shipping charges, used to be free shipping with $25 order, I think it's $35 now.

Bonz
02-11-2014, 09:03 AM
They over inflate the prices on the items in demand and have great prices on items that are not in great demand. I picked up a new Ruger LCR .357 for $415.00 delivered a few months ago from Cheaper Than Dirt. Its hit or miss =but= they certainly try to rape whenever possible ;-)

redriverhunter
02-11-2014, 09:06 AM
I quit them when a friend and i went to one of their stores near Ft. Worth. 550 rounds of 22lr if i remember right 65.00 plus. I bet they had the reloading equipment and had it overpriced and finally had to drop the price when they could not move it.

WILCO
02-11-2014, 09:12 AM
but it was a pleasant shock to me.

Glad it worked out for you. Always good to vote with your wallet. :grin:

WILCO
02-11-2014, 09:14 AM
I quit them when a friend and i went to one of their stores near Ft. Worth. 550 rounds of 22lr if i remember right 65.00 plus. I bet they had the reloading equipment and had it overpriced and finally had to drop the price when they could not move it.

That's what happens in a capitalistic society. Prices are dictated by supply and demand.

btroj
02-11-2014, 09:15 AM
That's what happens in a capitalistic society. Prices are dictated by supply and demand.

That seems to bother many. Not me

BIGRED
02-11-2014, 09:20 AM
I would rather pay more anywhere else than to give them a cent. I promise you regardless how cheap they sell stuff ( trying to get their customers back) they will never see a dime from me ever again. What they did during ammo shortage was unforgivable. Same thing as BP after the oil spill, they haven't seen a dime from me since the spill either.

btroj
02-11-2014, 09:21 AM
They made profit? Yikes, can't have that......

crowbuster
02-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Now a days its false advertising. Have you seen the price of a truck load of top soil ? To each his own, none for me thanks.

farmerjim
02-11-2014, 09:24 AM
I do not exclude any store because of past prices. To not buy from the cheapest overall price store (price plus shipping) is to cut off your nose to spite your face.
Long live capitalism !

BIGRED
02-11-2014, 09:28 AM
They made profit? Yikes, can't have that......

it wasn't about normal profit. the fact is they had ammunition marked up 1,000 percent. 9mm $8.99 out of stock. same exact brand and weight in stock for $89.99. they did that alot during the Mayhem. that is BS....... just like selling plywood for $100 a sheet just before a hurricane hits.
which i know down here in Florida is against the law.

for a company that supposedly supports our gun rights and sportsman this was beyond forgivable.

btroj
02-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Might be unforgivable but it is called capitalism. It isn't always perfect, it isn't always fair, but it is always the best choice.

Long live capitalism indeed.

Butler Ford
02-11-2014, 09:40 AM
They raised their prices no higher than people were willing to pay.

starnbar
02-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Like btroj says but I remember an old man saying once (its your money use it when you need it)

plmitch
02-11-2014, 09:54 AM
I've had good luck buying from them, stuff in stock at a decent price and guick shipping. Worth buying from.

Bonz
02-11-2014, 09:59 AM
funny that no one every complains about being 'raped' by http://www.brunoshooters.com

jonp
02-11-2014, 12:17 PM
Everyone does know that CTD bought Doe Run and closed it down so they could be the sole purveyor of new lead and jack the price up gouging us all don't you?

btroj
02-11-2014, 02:40 PM
I thought that was the Cerebus group and George Soros.

geargnasher
02-11-2014, 02:50 PM
Might be unforgivable but it is called capitalism. It isn't always perfect, it isn't always fair, but it is always the best choice.

....And if anyone is too obtuse to see that, then they should take a peek at AR magazine or .22 rimfire prices in a country NOT based on Laissez-faire capitalism. People seriously need to wake up.

Gear

Garyshome
02-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Every time I tried to make a purchase with them the shipping/handling costs were out of the roof [Just like midway].

jonp
02-11-2014, 03:51 PM
I thought that was the Cerebus group and George Soros.

CTD is a Soros front. They are also involved in FEMA coffins, guillatins and supplying the explosives that blew up the levies in NOLA

Gator 45/70
02-11-2014, 05:32 PM
I will continue to side with the majority of my fellow shooters, hunters, reloaders and casters and not spend a dime on one at the top of the list of major gouger's.

jcwit
02-11-2014, 05:45 PM

Bet you like the prices the hospitals charge for a band- aid or an aspirin too! And how your insurance rates are going up also!

Bad Water Bill
02-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Several years ago C T D advertised surplus 30-06 ammo.

Many of us here bought a bunch.

My order was for 400+ rounds.

I fired ONE round which almost destroyed a brand new Weatherby.

Took the rifle and ammo over for the range master to look at.

You are not the first that had those results. Did you buy it from C % D like the last shooter,he dumped over 400 rounds in the disposal bbl.

I came here to see if any others had the same problems.

Yes there was a loooong list of folks talking about the KA 72 ammo they had purchased from C T D with many photos of the brass they had sectioned and the large plug of hard decomposed powder up against the neck of the cartridge.

Not one member ever mentioned that they got any money back.

After my young son was hit with flying brass,one piece of which was imbedded in his arm, I pulled EVERY round and found about 1/3 were stuff I or any other reloader would have junked for fear of their life.

Will I ever look at their site again?

NEVER.

btroj
02-11-2014, 06:37 PM
Bet you like the prices the hospitals charge for a band- aid or an aspirin too! And how your insurance rates are going up also!
Actually the hospital charges don't bother me, I understand WHY they charge what they do. I also am in the know enough to know that what they charge and what they get paid are two very different things. Take a look at your next EOB from Medicare or Tricare and see what they actually get paid, it ain't much. Trust me, it ain't much.

I don't really give a rodents rectum what CTAd charges. We live in a free market where they are allowed to set a price the way they see fit. We also have the freedom to either buy it or not buy it. If they are selling it at those "inflated" then who is really to blame, the seller or the buyers?

The markets tend to settle down to arise that the market will bear. If 22 LR ammo stays at 60 bucks a brick then that is because the market will tolerate that price. You and I won't but the market in general just might.

Simple economics guys. It isn't there to be liked, it just is what it is.

Don't like it? Go to Eastern Europe, they have lots of alternatives to offer you.

starmac
02-11-2014, 06:40 PM
I don't know what there prices or shipping charges are, nor do I care. They folded to Obummer at a moments notice, why would my money support any company that has proven to turn on shooters at any request from the government. They are far more interested in their yuppie customers than anyone that has ever thought about shooting a bb gun, let them live off of them.

jcwit
02-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Actually the hospital charges don't bother me, I understand WHY they charge what they do. I also am in the know enough to know that what they charge and what they get paid are two very different things. Take a look at your next EOB from Medicare or Tricare and see what they actually get paid, it ain't much. Trust me, it ain't much.

Don't have no EOB "don't even know what that is", Medicare? Tricare? no idea. Covered 100% by the VA.

Have no inclination to go anywhere, life is way to good here, even with my lifetime supply of components and .22's.

Life is good.

Don't like it? Go to Eastern Europe, they have lots of alternatives to offer you.

Note my sig line.

Bad Water Bill
02-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Don't have no EOB "don't even know what that is", Medicare? Tricare? no idea. Covered 100% by the VA

Life is good.

A friend just told me his hospital surgery story.

With insurance $20,000

He paid CASH. Anyone remember what that is?

He paid $1,200.

9w1911
02-11-2014, 07:43 PM
I forgot they pulled scary rifles

btroj
02-11-2014, 07:46 PM
EPB is an explanation of benefits. Shows what was billed, by whom, and what was paid.

Dad had a stint put in a few years ago. Total bill was around 70 K. Between Tricare and Medicare the hospital, surgeon, and what not, got about 17 K.

Wis. Tom
02-11-2014, 07:49 PM
I popped popcorn and sat down to watch the outcome of this tread. LOL You can't buy this kind of entertainment.

btroj
02-11-2014, 08:00 PM
I will say this

I am in no way showing any support for CTD. Never bought a thing from them, never plan to. I just hate the idea that a company is under any obligation to set prices at a level to make us happy.

What I am defending is capitalism as an economic basis.

We all have the right to set prices as we chose. We all have the right to purchase what we want and search for a better price. We all have the right to go without should prices remain above what we are willing to pay.

In the end we need to thank capitalism for the number of options we have. We have competition for our dollars and that works in our favor.

We should be happy to have the ability to not purchase from a company because of political differences, poor service, or any other reason. Heck, I don't care why you don't buy from em. Just rejoice in the fact you have other choices.

Long live capitalism.

sparky45
02-11-2014, 08:15 PM

As a matter of fact, they DID!! That's why they are "trying" to regain some of their lost customer base. Count me out!! That's also an exercise in Capitalism.

btroj
02-11-2014, 08:18 PM
As a matter of fact, they DID!! That's why they are "trying" to regain some of their lost customer base. Count me out!! That's also an exercise in Capitalism.

Exactly. If they tried to "gouge" they may well get bit and bit hard. Capitalism does that.

xacex
02-11-2014, 08:26 PM

A 10$ mag for only 99.98$ what a bargain. Well, myself and many others say that was too much. Although Pmags at Surplus ammo and arms were 50$ I still send people that way for parts. There is a difference between capitalism, and greed especially if you stop selling guns overnight, and in the morning the same guns are 300x the normal price. There is a reason they are having sales now.

pretzelxx
02-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Every single time I visited that site in the past I saw sold out or wasn't even on the site, I stopped checking a year ago.

garym1a2
02-11-2014, 08:56 PM
What's the difference between CPD selling 22lr for $60 a brick and Wallmart selling it for $25?
Answer, the $25 brick is never in stock as the gun show resellers buy them up and charge $60 at the shows!

Riverpigusmc
02-11-2014, 09:20 PM
CTD can charge what they want, when they want, and more power to them. THAT is capitalism...sell it for what the market will bear...and they did. HOWEVER, a personal friend of mine bought and paid for 10 Pmags...in stock when he paid for them. They canceled his order, refunded his money, said they were out of stock. That afternoon, they were back in stock at over 5 times what he had paid. Nope, not gonna buy from CTD. Sell for what you can get, but don't whine when folks have long memories

fatelk
02-11-2014, 11:36 PM
I don't really give a rodents rectum what CTAd charges. We live in a free market where they are allowed to set a price the way they see fit. We also have the freedom to either buy it or not buy it. If they are selling it at those "inflated" then who is really to blame, the seller or the buyers?

I absolutely agree. I fully support their right to charge whatever they want to, and I have the right to ignore them and tell all my friends about their unethical business practices (an acquaintance made the same claim the last post did).

I think on high demand products they have a small quantity and know they would sell out quick if they put anything resembling a reasonable price on it, so they just write a sky-high price tag and fish for suckers. I feel bad for the suckers, but realistically you'd have to be either incredibly desperate or incredibly stupid to pay some of their prices.

It reminds me of a guy who goes to all the gun shows around here. He has a bunch of tables and tons of reloading gear and components, but his prices are out of this world high, sometimes double retail for old components and used estate-sale stuff. I've learned over the years to never waste my time even looking at what he has. He's just fishing for suckers and preying on the clueless. His right of course, but I don't have to buy it, and nobody can make me respect him. I have a hard time having any respect for those who prey on the ignorant or newbies.

MtGun44
02-11-2014, 11:50 PM
LOL! Getting read for a CTD order myself. Great prices on #1 Buck in 12 ga, and a few other
items at good prices. I'm always up for good prices!

Bill

Love Life
02-11-2014, 11:57 PM
Good prices make me happy. I've bought quite a few things from them lately.

Blanco
02-12-2014, 07:07 AM
I actually go past their retail store in Ft Worth every day.
I stop in on occasion just to see what they have on the shelves. They are an interesting bunch. Supposedly they are a cooperative of 3 separate businesses.
The ammo on their shelves right now is 30~50% higher than several places ... but they have it.
I kinda got down on them a few years ago when I went in Wal-Mart to pick up some .45 one morning and I recognized a guy who was buying a pallet of ammo. It was then the lightbulb over my head lit up. Kinda made me mad to be honest

jonp
02-12-2014, 11:51 AM
I didn't know that you could cruise into any Wal Mart and buy a pallet of ammo.

starmac
02-12-2014, 12:00 PM
Why couldn't you buy a pallet if they have it, unless they set a limit. In some states they can not have a limit, if they have it for sale they have to sell it to you.

btroj
02-12-2014, 10:25 PM
But doesn't that make you either a gouger or hoarder?

Wait, that might make you either well prepared or a capitalist.

novalty
02-12-2014, 10:42 PM
People can defend CTD's pricing practices that they took part in over the past year by saying it is a free market. As no-one has to buy from them.
http://ontheoutside.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Screen-Shot-2013-01-17-at-9.24.35-AM.png
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/attachments/ammo-can/19917d1365659271-cheaper-than-dirt-huh-tula.jpg
http://ballistics101.com/images/indeximages/cdirtl.jpg

However, I will not support a vendor in the industry that so quickly turns their back on our 2nd Amendment Rights.
http://offgridsurvival.com/wp-content/themes/church_10/images/2012/12/cheaperthandirt.jpg
http://beforeitsnews.com/mediadrop/uploads/2013/38/45056155984c2671b1fd2d6bfc5596f58603b3f6.jpg
http://www.survivalboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/cheaperthandirt-bushmaster-december-2012.jpg

Very peculiar how their Facebook page has tons of posts per month, and none December 2012.

jcwit
02-12-2014, 10:46 PM
For those that think all business practices are governed by the free market need to take a closer look at the banking industry.

btroj
02-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Wasn't aware we were discussing banking.

jcwit
02-12-2014, 11:23 PM
I believe it is part of the overall economy is it not.

Maybe they "the bankers" should be able to gouge with their interest rates, right?

TXGunNut
02-13-2014, 12:06 AM
I don't like CTD, won't buy from them, won't bash them.
Please don't get me started on bankers. BP went up 20 just typing the "b" word.

jonp
02-13-2014, 09:16 AM
People can defend CTD's pricing practices that they took part in over the past year by saying it is a free market. As no-one has to buy from them.
http://ontheoutside.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Screen-Shot-2013-01-17-at-9.24.35-AM.png
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/attachments/ammo-can/19917d1365659271-cheaper-than-dirt-huh-tula.jpg
http://ballistics101.com/images/indeximages/cdirtl.jpg

However, I will not support a vendor in the industry that so quickly turns their back on our 2nd Amendment Rights.
http://offgridsurvival.com/wp-content/themes/church_10/images/2012/12/cheaperthandirt.jpg
http://beforeitsnews.com/mediadrop/uploads/2013/38/45056155984c2671b1fd2d6bfc5596f58603b3f6.jpg
http://www.survivalboards.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/cheaperthandirt-bushmaster-december-2012.jpg

Very peculiar how their Facebook page has tons of posts per month, and none December 2012.

I went to ctd just now. The tulammo you put up was $5, the starfire was out of stock. Was this from last year?

dragon813gt
02-13-2014, 09:44 AM
I CHOOSE to not buy from them. I personally won't support any company that uses the practices they do. If they were in my state I would be reporting them to the BBB. The fact that they cancelled orders to then relist the items at a much higher price is reprehensible. While it may be a free market practices like that are dirty and illegal in the state I live in. So I CHOOSE to not buy from them. I don't need anything that bad.

To the OP. Did you try Titan Reloading? They are almost impossible to beat w/ pricing for Lee products. I placed a large order w/ them a few weeks back and had the order three days later. Check them out before you support a company w/ known bad business practices.

1bluehorse
02-13-2014, 12:18 PM
I buy what I want from who I want.....but I've never noticed them to be "Cheaper than Dirt"...usually a bit higher than others that I use....

jcwit
02-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Lets look at another commodity, how bout deregulating the electrical companies, that should work out well for your monthly bill!

novalty
02-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Jonp, those were prices they had advertised last year.

Bad Water Bill
02-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Lets look at another commodity, how bout deregulating the electrical companies, that should work out well for your monthly bill!

NICOR (my natural gas provider) is required to sell at what THEY PAID.

They CREATED a new company which purchases the gas and turns a healthy profit selling the gas to NICOR.

Several years ago I checked on prices thru a small wholesaler. Their price was .11 per therm but NICOR was charging .35 and probably getting a better price.

starmac
02-13-2014, 06:55 PM

There is more than one way to skin a cat, and it is already in the works, it has something to do with coal.

RogerDat
02-13-2014, 08:09 PM
I "review" a store with my wallet. If a business or individual has a sketchy reputation why would I go there? I'm thinking of picking up some stuff, will look around but first choice would be site sponsor price being equal or really close they win. Followed by local business (always enjoy a trip to Cabelas or one of the independents in the area), then recommended sellers. Or from Amazon or manufacturer. CTD is not high on my list simply because too many negative experiences of others have been reported. I have no desire to be the next one to have something to report.

They can do what they want, but I do have the right to shop elsewhere and give my money to businesses I want to support.

jcwit
02-13-2014, 08:13 PM
There is more than one way to skin a cat, and it is already in the works, it has something to do with coal.

Right, and I think there will be a reckoning in a few more years regarding this.

Love Life
02-13-2014, 08:16 PM
I CHOOSE to not buy from them. I personally won't support any company that uses the practices they do. If they were in my state I would be reporting them to the BBB. The fact that they cancelled orders to then relist the items at a much higher price is reprehensible. While it may be a free market practices like that are dirty and illegal in the state I live in. So I CHOOSE to not buy from them. I don't need anything that bad.

To the OP. Did you try Titan Reloading? They are almost impossible to beat w/ pricing for Lee products. I placed a large order w/ them a few weeks back and had the order three days later. Check them out before you support a company w/ known bad business practices.

Maybe, but Titan's shipping prices are higher than Midway's to my house...

jcwit
02-13-2014, 08:27 PM
Love Life, ever try these folks? I've used them a few times over the years but I don't remember what shipping was like, I do think there prices were good tho.

https://fsreloading.com/

dragon813gt
02-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Maybe, but Titan's shipping prices are higher than Midway's to my house...

You said the magic words, your house. Titan is cheaper for me compared to Midway. It's different for everyone so buy wherever you want to.

Love Life
02-13-2014, 09:54 PM
You said the magic words, your house. Titan is cheaper for me compared to Midway. It's different for everyone so buy wherever you want to.

Hold the phone!! Are you saying that I don't have to buy at Titan? That I can shop around and purchase from the company that offers the lowest price? Preposterous!!

Love Life
02-13-2014, 09:55 PM
Love Life, ever try these folks? I've used them a few times over the years but I don't remember what shipping was like, I do think there prices were good tho.

https://fsreloading.com/

Thank you for the link. They just so happen to have some stuff I wanted!

Pinsnscrews
02-13-2014, 10:33 PM
I have never been, nor will I ever be in a position to Have to pay an Unfair price for a product. I control my wallet. I control my spending. I have been without a stove for a week because I refuse to pay the repair service price locally. Instead, I looked it up online, broke out my multimeter, diagnosed and ordered parts. I can make wadcutters using empty shell casings for my .40 if I need ammo that badly. I chose to stay away from places that were getting what the public was willing to pay for ammo. Is it morally correct? Hell no, is it economically correct? Depends on who your economist is. I shop based on fair market value. I buy refurbished equipment because in most cases, it comes with a complete manufacturer's warranty. If it doesn't, I just don't buy that product. Don't need it, never will. The only reason I have an iPhone is because it cost me NADDA out of pocket. ZERO. ZILCH. Any other offering was going to run me about $100 with the current contract I had. Am I a fan of apple products? When they are Free, yes. My wife needed to update her iPad because it allows her to work while we are traveling 6 hours each way to california. I got her old iPad. Do I care? Nope, lets me sit on the throne and read up on important stuff. Will I cry when it breaks? Nope. Will I run right out to replace it? nope. I have an Ebay Kindle because it lets me borrow ebooks from my library. $40 shipped in near new condition.

It all boils down to what are you willing to pay for someone else's goods. If you NEED Plywood right before a Hurricane, then of course, that is wrong to jack the price up. Do any of us on this site really NEED to purchase ammo when the chickens and lambs are all running around with their heads cut off? Nope. How did CTD get away with it? Because people didn't think with their wallets. They thought with Panic and Mob mentality. Had the panic not occurred and vendors all across the country decided to start jacking prices up to those levels, how long do you think it would take before people quit buying it from vendors? This last panic brought out THOUSANDS of new gun owners. It also brought out Hundreds of new reloaders. Because not everyone was willing to pay what vendors were willing to sell their product for. It truly is Supply and Demand, I have the Supply, how willing are you to Pay for your demand?

The only things in life I have a NEED for are my food, shelter and medicine. I get to enjoy my job which gives me a paycheck so that I don't HAVE to hunt. Instead, I can make it a recreation and enjoy it. I can enjoy my freedoms. I can turn off the TV if I don't like what is on rather than scream that it is wrong. I can not pick up that local paper because I don't agree with their view point. I can not read a forum because I feel the armchair Trolls have taken it over. And I can enjoy coming on to this forum, and having an intelligent conversation with intelligent people.

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING THIS INTELLIGENT

We may disagree. What I NEED may be and very well could be different than what you NEED. Just remember, that is the Key Word. NEED...How Bad do You N$$D it.

this is my opinion, and I am sticking to it :P

jcwit
02-13-2014, 10:55 PM
I have never been, nor will I ever be in a position to Have to pay an Unfair price for a product. I control my wallet. I control my spending. I have been without a stove for a week because I refuse to pay the repair service price locally. Instead, I looked it up online, broke out my multimeter, diagnosed and ordered parts. I can make wadcutters using empty shell casings for my .40 if I need ammo that badly. I chose to stay away from places that were getting what the public was willing to pay for ammo. Is it morally correct? Hell no, is it economically correct? Depends on who your economist is. I shop based on fair market value. I buy refurbished equipment because in most cases, it comes with a complete manufacturer's warranty. If it doesn't, I just don't buy that product. Don't need it, never will. The only reason I have an iPhone is because it cost me NADDA out of pocket. ZERO. ZILCH. Any other offering was going to run me about $100 with the current contract I had. Am I a fan of apple products? When they are Free, yes. My wife needed to update her iPad because it allows her to work while we are traveling 6 hours each way to california. I got her old iPad. Do I care? Nope, lets me sit on the throne and read up on important stuff. Will I cry when it breaks? Nope. Will I run right out to replace it? nope. I have an Ebay Kindle because it lets me borrow ebooks from my library. $40 shipped in near new condition.

It all boils down to what are you willing to pay for someone else's goods. If you NEED Plywood right before a Hurricane, then of course, that is wrong to jack the price up. Do any of us on this site really NEED to purchase ammo when the chickens and lambs are all running around with their heads cut off? Nope. How did CTD get away with it? Because people didn't think with their wallets. They thought with Panic and Mob mentality. Had the panic not occurred and vendors all across the country decided to start jacking prices up to those levels, how long do you think it would take before people quit buying it from vendors? This last panic brought out THOUSANDS of new gun owners. It also brought out Hundreds of new reloaders. Because not everyone was willing to pay what vendors were willing to sell their product for. It truly is Supply and Demand, I have the Supply, how willing are you to Pay for your demand?

The only things in life I have a NEED for are my food, shelter and medicine. I get to enjoy my job which gives me a paycheck so that I don't HAVE to hunt. Instead, I can make it a recreation and enjoy it. I can enjoy my freedoms. I can turn off the TV if I don't like what is on rather than scream that it is wrong. I can not pick up that local paper because I don't agree with their view point. I can not read a forum because I feel the armchair Trolls have taken it over. And I can enjoy coming on to this forum, and having an intelligent conversation with intelligent people.

THANK YOU FOR KEEPING THIS INTELLIGENT

We may disagree. What I NEED may be and very well could be different than what you NEED. Just remember, that is the Key Word. NEED...How Bad do You N$$D it.

this is my opinion, and I am sticking to it :P

Pretty much agree with that, other than the "need" that future generations trying to embrace this sport are experiencing.

km101
02-14-2014, 12:17 PM
Well said Pinsnscrews! Well said.

WILCO
02-14-2014, 12:28 PM
it wasn't about normal profit. the fact is they had ammunition marked up 1,000 percent. 9mm $8.99 out of stock. same exact brand and weight in stock for $89.99. they did that alot during the Mayhem. that is BS....... just like selling plywood for $100 a sheet just before a hurricane hits.
which i know down here in Florida is against the law.

for a company that supposedly supports our gun rights and sportsman this was beyond forgivable.

All I can say is enjoy the misery and suffering under the full weight of communism when it's fully implemented. You clearly have no understanding of capitalism and desperately seem to want someone to fix it, so you can get yours.

jcwit
02-14-2014, 12:56 PM
All I can say is enjoy the misery and suffering under the full weight of communism when it's fully implemented. You clearly have no understanding of capitalism and desperately seem to want someone to fix it, so you can get yours.

As I've mentioned, so lets do away with the regulations regarding the energy companies, the food industry, and all the others, after all it's all a "free" market, right?

While I dislike the farm bill overall, it has keep the price of milk from going to $6 or $8 a gallon. We're still 2 for $5 in my area.

Lets do away with the states regulatory commissions. That will work out well, remember the older retired folks freezing to death years ago, for lack of the ability to pay for natural gas or electricity?

starmac
02-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Communism, is the reason I don't even have the desire to see what prices CTD charges. They turned their back on our community just to be able to get on their knees and lick obammys feet, the very first chance they got. You want to support them go ahead, but don't complain when all the others and gun manufacturers cave just for the asking, because they see there will be no repercussions from us.
Just for the record, I support capitalism 100 % and the freedom to support those companies that support us.

jcwit deregulation doesn't always result in higher prices, it also promotes competition. Just look at what deregulation did to the trucking industry, your freight bills would be three or four times as much as it is now, if it was not deregulated, and everything you can buy rides on a truck at least 3 times.

sig .357
02-14-2014, 04:15 PM

Titan is my main product store, dennis is very honest and helpful......

jcwit
02-14-2014, 04:16 PM
jcwit deregulation doesn't always result in higher prices, it also promotes competition. Just look at what deregulation did to the trucking industry, your freight bills would be three or four times as much as it is now, if it was not deregulated, and everything you can buy rides on a truck at least 3 times.

I actually thought about that while I was typing that post. My brother was sales manager for one of the larger trucking companies back in the day when the deregulation of the trucking industry was taking place. He was vehemently against it as he claimed it would hurt the companies profits, probably did, but was good for the consumer. I'd ask him but he's gone now.

I wonder if it would be the same today with the mind set we have in business.

starmac
02-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Right, and I think there will be a reckoning in a few more years regarding this.

There will be a reckoning, in the form of a monthly bill, according to the almighty Obammy. It is by design, and the design is more regulation/less competition.

Just last week our refinery announced they are closing their doors. overburdened regulations play a part in that.
We have a brand new 20 year old powerhouse that was built but not put on line because of changes in regulations.
They keep changing the air quality regulations, to where they have just about outlawed wood stoves here.

Bad Water Bill
02-14-2014, 05:30 PM
They closed down 2-3 coal fired generating plants here in Chiraq last year. Nothing new coming on line PERIOD.

Where will we get the electricity to power the blowers on our furnaces or charge our ELECTRIC CARS.

I lost count of how many refineries have shut down.

They spent millions on a new incinerator plant and it stayed operational for THREE years before the gates were locked.

Our E P A at its finest.

MUSTANG
02-15-2014, 11:02 PM
They closed down 2-3 coal fired generating plants here in Chiraq last year. Nothing new coming on line PERIOD.

Where will we get the electricity to power the blowers on our furnaces or charge our ELECTRIC CARS.

I lost count of how many refineries have shut down.

They spent millions on a new incinerator plant and it stayed operational for THREE years before the gates were locked.

Our E P A at its finest.

China of Course. And we will have the choice of taking the Train or Driving the car to get there.
(Back when I was still in the military, actually had a lady ask the wife & I if we were taking the Train or Driving to Korea).