PDA

View Full Version : here's a problem with dillon 650.....timing!

mozeppa
02-11-2014, 04:00 AM
anyone else ever have a "timing" issue?

when i do 45 acp...or 40 s&w or 38 special .... i have NO problems.

however...

when i TRY to do 9mm....i have to manually advance the shell plate another 16th of an inch...and hold it there
as i continue to raise the ram.

if i don't do this ,the shell case hits the edge of the die just enough to jam up the works.

anyone else ever seen this before?

jmorris
02-11-2014, 10:05 AM
I have not and loaded on them for years.

Are you saying that when the shell plate is located during index by the detent ball underneath that you have to move it out of position to work?

rogerreloader
02-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Use the alignment pin that Dillon has to align the shell plate platform. This needs to be done any time the platform on a 550 or 650 is removed. Go to Dillon and seek instructions on this or call them.

wcp4570
02-11-2014, 01:57 PM
I load more 9mm on our 650 than anything else and have never had the problem you are having. Sounds like your machine may need cleaning under the shell plate to help the ball detent correctly position the shell plate. The one I load on runs like clock work. A call to Dillion may help solve the problem. Good luck.

wcp

jsheyn
02-11-2014, 01:59 PM
I load 9mm on my friend 650 and no issues or need for any sort of manual advance

dudel
02-11-2014, 02:46 PM
If this has happened from the start with 9mm, I suspect the shell plate may be faulty (Index holes not properly positioned). I'll bet the timing is fine since you have no problems with three other shell plates in large and small primer sizes.

Got a friend with a 650 9mm plate you can try? If it's bad, I'm sure Dillon will replace it at no charge.

kaskillo
02-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Try removing the shell plate and make sure everything is clean and lubed. I had similar issues with my 650 plate but a good cleaning and light grease took care of the problem, now it runs like it should.

Hope this helps.

flyingrhino
02-21-2014, 09:47 AM

however...

when i TRY to do 9mm....i have to manually advance the shell plate another 16th of an inch...and hold it there

if i don't do this ,the shell case hits the edge of the die just enough to jam up the works.

Call Dillon and get their platform alignment pin. They will send it to you for free. This helps you align the platform with the die head. Then, you need to adjust the index ring advancer (sorry, don't know the proper term) so that the shell plate indexes properly such that the primer seating pin is centered in the shell plate. This is the arrow looking thing on the left side under the platform that has two cap screws in it. The screw holes in it are elongated so that you can move it forward or backward slightly to adjust how far the shell plate advances. I had the very same issue and it was worse with 9mm for some reason. This corrected my problem. Whole procedure only took me about 20 minutes.

ratboy
02-22-2014, 10:11 PM

however...

just went thru this in 25-20
#3 pin thingy at the 3rd station which is powder drop for me was binding against the brass just enough to stop the shell plate from
proceeding to location. no others were binding
i dont know why. measured stuff and everything.
doesnt do it for any of the other 10 caliber conversions.
replaces #3 pin with a #2 in just that location. problem solved.
i dont understand why it did it but its fixed now.
dont know if this is your problem but something to check