View Full Version : What is this

oneokie
12-15-2007, 02:18 AM
Was sorting some brass tonight and found a 357 case with an unusual headstamp:

BHA 357 MAG PROOF

WTH?

S.R.Custom
12-15-2007, 02:37 AM
Prolly just what it says-- a proof load made by Black Hills. Let's hope the shooter wasn't trying it out in his Charter Arms... :roll:

Lloyd Smale
12-15-2007, 05:51 AM
are you sure it wasnt a bba proof load that was marked on it. if so it was buffalo bore brass.

S.R.Custom
12-15-2007, 11:09 AM
If it was Buffalo Bore, it would have been marked "Wolf Poison." :mrgreen:

johniv
12-15-2007, 03:14 PM
I have found a bunch of those here in WV at a public range. Wierd to find so many proof loads being shot. Years ago I worked at a gun shop and the owner(normally a bright guy) came by a case of 38 spl. proof loads and was selling them to folks that owned 357's , safe to shoot in 357 BUT it still put 38 proof loads out there and you know how well folks look at what they put in their guns. No one would think of doing that today (I hope) This was 35 years ago.
ohn

S.R.Custom
12-15-2007, 05:45 PM
I don't think it likely that someone was out plinking with proof loads. More likely it was someone with a source of spent proof brass using the empties for reloads.

Four Fingers of Death
12-15-2007, 06:10 PM
I was at the local range years ago and there was this guy shooting a Ruger 9mm and they were noisy and gave off a bit of smoke. I noticed a glint as he was loading the mags and realised that he was using jacketed ammo. The range did not allow jacketed ammo (as most in Australia are licensed) so I wandered over and told him before he got into trouble. he had about 20 left and they were proof loads. I told him and he shrugged and said they were the last of a case of 1000 that he was given. When I asked him where he got them (I was just curious) he became evasive, so I shrugged it off and left him too it. He fired off the last 20 and I watched waiting for his gun to disentregate in front of me, but it was uneventual.

I saw him in MacDonalds a few weeks later and he was in Army uniform, so I suppose he 'liberated' the ammo from the army. Speaks volumes for the Ruger though.