PDA

View Full Version : Neck sizing without depriming?

MarkK
02-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Awhile ago I acquired quite a few new never shot primed 30.06 brass (MFS headstamp). From what I gather, the bullets were pulled due to wrong powder charge. At any rate, I'd like to size the necks without de-priming. Is this possible? At the very least, I understand I need a Lee collet die set for said caliber. BTW, I can push a bullet into the case with my fingers then it stops just at the shoulder. Many thanks, MarkK

Larry Gibson
02-11-2014, 01:21 AM
If you've a standard FL sizer or a standard NS die then I'd suggest that be used. Simply back the deprime stem out a bit so it won't deprime.

You can not back out the deprime stem/mandrel on a Lee Collet die.

Larry Gibson

madsenshooter
02-11-2014, 07:14 AM
I keep an extra 30 cal collet die mandrel that I snapped the decapping pin off from just so I can size the neck without depriming. It doesn't see much use, but comes in handy some times.

Doc Highwall
02-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Mark, if you are going to shoot jacketed bullets do as Larry says, if you are going to shoot cast lead bullets you can just remove the whole decapping stem as you are going to use a neck expander like a Lyman M die before loading.

DeanWinchester
02-11-2014, 10:52 AM
I buy .223 pull down brass a LOT. I snapped the decapping pin off the mandrel so I can tighten the necks up on the primed brass. Works perfect. Couple of bucks to Lee will get you a new one so you can have both.

texassako
02-11-2014, 12:40 PM
If you don't want to snap off the decap pin in your collet die, you can just order the shorter 7.62x39 mandrel(NS3548). It is shorter than the standard length .30 caliber die mandrel(NS2627). I would not buy a die just for a few pieces, just do what Larry said and back out the stem.

bangerjim
02-11-2014, 05:29 PM
I have done it many times. Just take the primer punch rod out!

banger

MarkK
02-12-2014, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the responses. Solution was so obvious.