PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Bullets

mike1952
12-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Has anyone tried Missouri Cast Bullets? The prices seem good and you can get them in different BHNs.

testhop
12-14-2007, 11:50 PM
let me be the first to welcome you
this is the first time i heard of MISSOURI cast bullets
may have to check them out
have you tryed them if so give us a report

Skrenos
12-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Do you mean the Missouri Bullet Company at http://www.missouribullet.com ? Havent had any experience with them. Nothing special and it's stuff you can do yourself. They use Magma tools and Thompson blue angel lube.

Decent prices... but looks like they dont list a headquarters. Their customer service number looks to be in Kansas City area, operations manager number in Kansas, and fax number in Florida. I'm guessing they're in the KC area from that information.

I looked at their 45acp 230gr round nose bullets. $31 for a box of 500. That's 16 1/2 lbs of lead+lube. Comes to $0.50 a lbs for lead if you bought it for raw components. 158gr SWC bullets for .38s are 11 1/4 lbs at $23.50 or $0.48 a lb for lead.

1Shirt
12-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Just ordered 500 of their 357M 158's to try. Will see if they shoot in my toys.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Shiloh
12-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Just ordered 500 of their 357M 158's to try. Will see if they shoot in my toys.

How much are these boolits when you add the shipping?? My guess is that the cost goes up significantly.

Shiloh :castmine:

mike1952
12-15-2007, 08:36 PM
How much are these boolits when you add the shipping?? My guess is that the cost goes up significantly.

The claim a flat rate of 2000 bullets (less than 230g) for I think $11. It is a buck sor so more if bullets are over 230 g.

mike1952
12-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Do you mean the Missouri Bullet Company at http://www.missouribullet.com ? Havent had any experience with them. Nothing special and it's stuff you can do yourself. They use Magma tools and Thompson blue angel lube.

Decent prices... but looks like they dont list a headquarters. Their customer service number looks to be in Kansas City area, operations manager number in Kansas, and fax number in Florida. I'm guessing they're in the KC area from that information.

I looked at their 45acp 230gr round nose bullets. $31 for a box of 500. That's 16 1/2 lbs of lead+lube. Comes to $0.50 a lbs for lead if you bought it for raw components. 158gr SWC bullets for .38s are 11 1/4 lbs at $23.50 or $0.48 a lb for lead.

I had a conversation with the coustomer service person (owner's wife). He is operating now as a side business and has been casting for years. He plans to do more as the business grows and he retires. I had a very pleasant conversation with her. sound like a good couple to do business with. JMO.

MissouriBullet
12-15-2007, 08:42 PM

The price rises - astronomically! - to a total of $9.85 per four boxes of 500 bullets in a USPS shipping carton (2,000)! What a bunch of ripoff artists!!! Call the FTC!!!

Flat-rate shipping & handling. We are not in business to gouge people on freight.

And contrary to what was stated in an earlier post in this thread, what we do actually is kind of special: Do you know of any other cast bullet company that states the BHN of the bullets within on each box? And provides the standard formula for you to determine the optimum hardness of the bullets you need for the loads you shoot so that you can make an intelligent decision on minimizing leading and maximizing accuracy? Missouri Bullet Company does that. But then again, we charge less for our bullets than most other cast bullet companies because it's a family business and we work to build the business, not to generate a paycheck. So, you have to weigh the superior nature of MBC's bullets against our lower prices and make your decision :-)

We use Magma Blue lube, not Thompson's, by the way. We tried Thompson's for a while and it was fine, but went back to Magma because it does seem to withstand the travails of USPS shipping a little bit better. And getting better bullets to the customer - quickly - is what it's all about.

I hope this answered your question.

Brad

mike1952
12-15-2007, 08:43 PM
let me be the first to welcome you
this is the first time i heard of MISSOURI cast bullets
may have to check them out
have you tryed them if so give us a report

Thanks for the welcome. I have been scouting this site our for awhile. I am fairly new to reloading (about 3 or 4 years). I use cast bullets mostly. I have been thinking about casting. I love reloading because it saves me money, I can tailor the load for my purpose and I enjoy shooting something I made. As I learn more about cast bullets I see how nice it would be to customize your bullet too. I see a furnace in my future.

waksupi
12-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Welcome aboard, Mike. About that saving money thing. We will help you out with that!

(Evil laugh)

MissouriBullet
12-15-2007, 08:52 PM

Our headquarters is in Kingsville, MO. The Kansas number (we're near the border, after all) is my cellphone. The Florida number is a VOIP phone with a Florida area code that reflects my wife's business interests there. But never fear, we're in Missouri and darn proud of it.

We use more than "Magma tools", by the way. We use the latest and best equipment from Magma Engineering, including the Mark VII Bullet Masters and their Lube Masters. Forty grand or so worth of it.

As I mentioned in my previous post, we don't use Thompson's Blue Angel anymore. Good stuff, but we went back to Magma's lube. Seems to stick on better during rough shipping.

I'm sorry you think our bullets are nothing special. I disagree with that. And many of our customers tell me that they do, also. We do small-lot custom alloying to suit folks' particular BHN needs in the course of our daily business and I don't think you will find that elsewhere in other volume shops. Our customers appreciate the reduced leading and increased accuracy they get with bullets that are hardness-optimized for their applications.

Anyhow, have a good one.

Brad

Phil
12-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Hey Brad,

Welcome to the forums, hope you aren't snowed in yet. Its snowing here and supposed to have six to eight inches by morning. No shooting tomorrow for this old fart.

Cheers,

Phil

MissouriBullet
12-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Hey Brad,

Welcome to the forums, hope you aren't snowed in yet. Its snowing here and supposed to have six to eight inches by morning. No shooting tomorrow for this old fart.

Cheers,

Phil

No shooting tomorrow for us either, Phil! We have maybe 3.5" of snow and it's still going, 'tho lightly right now.

But what the heck - we're too busy to shoot much any more, anyhow. Seems like between both our full-time jobs and the bullet business, there isn't even enough time for sleep :-)

Thank you for the welcome.

Brad

MissouriBullet
12-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey Brad,

Cheers,

Phil

No shooting tomorrow for us either, Phil! We have maybe 3.5" of snow and it's still going, 'tho lightly right now.

But what the heck - we're too busy to shoot much any more, anyhow. Seems like between both our full-time jobs and the bullet business, there isn't even enough time for sleep :-)

Brad

Phil
12-16-2007, 01:22 AM

Brad

Hi Brad,

Sounds like you have some wonderful equipment. The bullet business should be a fine retirement venture if you're nearing that age. I have one more year to retirement. I enjoy casting when I have the time, its a nice feeling to shoot a good group knowing you made the bullet that did it. But, I only get to the range about five or six times a year any more. After I retire I plan to do more shooting and photography along with writing more magazine articles.

I'll have to look at your web site, maybe you make something I can use. Always on the lookout for something I don't cast.

Have a great Sunday. Snowing harder now, may have some accumulation by morning.

Cheers,

Phil

shotstring
12-16-2007, 02:23 AM
Skrenos, I think your calculations are a bit off on the pricing of the Missouri bullets. You are correct in that it takes 11 1/2 lbs of lead for 500 158gr boolits from Missouri, but at $22.50 per 500, that means the cost is around $2.00 lb for the lead, not $.48. Sorry, but as handy as manufactured cast boolits may be at times, they are never as inexpensive as casting your own.

45nut
12-16-2007, 05:17 AM
I welcome you to CB also, been kinda busy but I hope you enjoy your time here.

tanstafl10
12-16-2007, 08:59 AM
MissouriBullet--- WELCOME ABOARD!!

Hang in there.... your prices sound reasonable and although I cast, 5 shooters use a lot of ammo. So, sometimes it pays for me to purchase bulk bullets. That way, I have time to get to range and shoot some of what I reload.

I will check your sight and see about doing business with you. Glad your business is out there.

Good Luck,
Tony

JSH
12-16-2007, 09:12 AM
missouri bullet, Brad. Yes welcome. Good to see another local company close to home. Have you done any of the GS in KC? Post up if you are going to do any in the future. Look forward to a visit with you.
Jeff

MissouriBullet
12-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Ramblings on a snowy morning in Missouri

I''ll be 56 on the 29th of this month and I don't want to keep working for the man 'til the day I die! So I created this enterprise to provide me a way to work from home and generate a decent living. In real life, I am a Consulting Engineer working with enterprise-level Sun Microsystems server and storage infrastructure for a technology company based in Lenexa and have been deployed on-site at a utility company in KCK for the last several years. Honestly, I love the work and they pay me more than I ever dreamed possible even ten years ago. But there is that matter of the 100 mile daily commute and those darn 40 hours or more that have to be put in, and you all know how that feels. And there is the ever-present stress that comes with being the only person there who can manage and maintain the infrastructure, meaning that when problems develop in my area of responsibility, it's Charlie at the Wire, you know?

So I got into this business. I love nearly every aspect of it! I have met some wonderful people and learned so much from them. My wife has surprised me with her web talents, too. She developed the shopping cart and did all the photography, web design and layouts and helps process orders through their various stages. We host our own web stuff and mail in house on servers here at home that I am looking at now. We bought a 16k whole-house generator that we're waiting for hookup that will keep us going without a bobble next time we lose power.

Our shop is a metal building on a slab we put up a year ago, nothing special. We have about 550 square feet to work in and it's getting crowded so I put up another 140-square foot building adjacent to it and will move the lead storage and alloying operation there. Two new Magma machines arrived earlier this week and we're hoping to get the Mark VII wired up to the 220 today. Got the Lube Master installed yesterday (it runs on 120V.) With this new stuff we should be able to cast and size better than 7,000 bullets an hour. Talk about noisy! The great thing about the new Mark VII is that I ordered it with the bullet separator option, which lets you use multiple moulds (so long as the bullets weigh within about 20 grains of one another) at once, distributing each particular mould's output into its own tray. Otherwise, without the separator, you must use either four or eight mould and all the output goes into a single output bin. Now we will be able to run multiple bullets (which don't require water quench, like the Cowboy line we have) at once. The value of this comes from not having to stop and take things down to do a mould changeover, which is time-consuming, especially on smaller runs.

So I am excited about that. The one machine has kept us going and is a workhorse but something has happened in the last couple of week. I don't know why, but orders have nearly doubled and we are on the verge of getting behind. Right now, for example, I have six orders sitting on my desk that have come in over the past three days for which we don't have the bullets. And that is after shipping 24 USPS cartons of bullets last week and our making 11,000 bullets (Cowboy #2's - for some reason they got very hot suddenly) yesterday. So somehow today we have to try to get five different bullets made in varying quantities and get them out the door tomorrow morning! Oh wait - orders haven't been printed yet for five more boxes of bullets we don't have made up came in overnight! Where's the "off switch"??? :-)

It's the moulds! I have too many, over a hundred of them. The last time I looked at the website, we have over 20 bullets, each of which representing either 4 or 8 moulds per set. Changing over from one to the other involves a laborious cleaning process, installation, and adjusting flow/duration, using the correct alloy (which we do on our own, thank you very much, not trusting anyone else to do it for us), and casting a couple hundred bullets to get the moulds hot. Then there is the lubri-sizer die/bushing/tubes change-out and then the M-A Systems Collator which must be adjusted (what a whacky device that thing is!) for each different bullet. So, when we're down to 3 boxes, say, of .45 IDP #1 and we get an order for 4 of them - well, it's time to get to work again.

No, I'm not complaining. This is what I wanted. But the business is growing faster than I dreamed. See, my wife thought I was nuts when I told her that I wanted to do this. She didn't believe that there was any market for mail-order bullets. The whole concept just didn't seem real to her. But I told her that I believe that we could sell every bullet we could make and now, a year later, we are selling bullets we're too busy making other bullets to make :-) Until the sales exploded, we almost were able, almost always, to ship the day after the order was received but now it might take us 3-4 days on some orders. Although I guess that isn't unreasonable, but I will say that every day an order is on my desk and can't ship that day is like a knife through my heart because I know that someone has paid for my bullets and is standing by his Dillon 550B, tapping his foot. I want to get these bullets out the next day!

I think the new caster and sizer will mostly correct that problem, though. I'm counting on it. The only other fix (the Final Solution) will be to ditch the day job and do this a year earlier than I'd planned the seque into the full-time bullet business. This may have to happen this next spring because I can't keep this pace.

To the person who indicated that the finished price was about $2.00 per pound of lead - yes it is, but what about the tin? I'm paying $10-$12 per pound now. Two pounds of that per 90-lb. casting pot add a bit of expense, too, you know. And have you priced linotype or monotype lately? The last soft lead I bought was at $.70/lb. and I had to drive 580 miles round-trip to Quincy, IL. to get it at that price. Locally it's a buck. I'm going to North Little Rock, AR (720 miles round-trip) next week to get a half-ton of base alloy. We happen to have a good stock of alloy base right now, but with lead's volatility now we can't afford to get caught short if it looks like things are drying up. That would be death. And gas isn't cheap these days, either. And the merchant account fees and 3% charges, the dedicated IP DSL line, the beautiful blue bullet boxes I had custom made, the glossy label stock we use, the color HP networked laser printer, on and on. This stuff adds up and when I look at our prices, $2.00 per pound is too cheap! I'm raising the prices 50%!!!

Too much coffee this morning.

Welp, I'm going to head out to Brad's Budget Basic Bullet Barn now and alloy a quarter ton of lead, heat up the sizers, start cleaning moulds, and then making .357 Magnums, .45 Cowboy #8's, 9mm SmallBall, 10mm IDP #2 and .45 IDP #1's. With luck I'll get finished by midnight and all our order can ship tomorrow morning.

It's been fun talking with you nice folks and thank you for letting me rave on here. I can't talk with my co-workers about this stuff because, being geeks, they don't have much of an interest in anything you can't sub-net, ping, or click on with a mouse.

Have a great day, y'all. If, in an hour, you start hearing a distant "KLINK-KLINK >thumpathumpa< KLINK-KLINK", you'll know where it's coming from.

Brad

MissouriBullet
12-16-2007, 10:40 AM
missouri bullet, Brad. Yes welcome. Good to see another local company close to home. Have you done any of the GS in KC? Post up if you are going to do any in the future. Look forward to a visit with you.
Jeff

Hi Jeff!

We have done two guns shows this year. We did the MVACA one in the summer and an RK show a month later. We sold lots of bullets and met lots of great folks at both! Of course, we met some idiots, too :-) I especially like the guy who said "wow! 500 bullets for $28 is unbelievable! Then he opened the box and said "where's the rest of them?"

Some folks just don't understand the difference between a cartridge and a bullet, I guess :-)

I don't think that we probably will do any more shows until I move this thing into full-time retirement mode. I work so hard all week that lugging a ton of lead to a weekend show 70 miles away, and not being able to produce bullets for that time, seems counter-productive. The web and local gun club business is so strong that there just isn't time.

What needs to happen is that I find someone to sell our bullets at shows on consignment. I should start thinking about that.

Brad

Skrenos
12-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Skrenos, I think your calculations are a bit off on the pricing of the Missouri bullets. You are correct in that it takes 11 1/2 lbs of lead for 500 158gr boolits from Missouri, but at $22.50 per 500, that means the cost is around $2.00 lb for the lead, not $.48. Sorry, but as handy as manufactured cast boolits may be at times, they are never as inexpensive as casting your own.

Youre right. Dammit. [smilie=1:

I'm sorry you think our bullets are nothing special.

I meant that as... It's nothing we couldnt do, and already do on this board. Although, it's nice to have multiple available hardness levels on bullets I dont plan on casting. Sorry to offend.

rugerman1
12-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey Brad/MissouriBullet,, welcome to CastBoolits:drinks:

shotstring
12-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Ramblings on a snowy morning in Missouri

To the person who indicated that the finished price was about $2.00 per pound of lead - yes it is, but what about the tin? I'm paying $10-$12 per pound now. Two pounds of that per 90-lb. casting pot add a bit of expense, too, you know. And have you priced linotype or monotype lately? The last soft lead I bought was at $.70/lb. and I had to drive 580 miles round-trip to Quincy, IL. to get it at that price. Locally it's a buck. I'm going to North Little Rock, AR (720 miles round-trip) next week to get a half-ton of base alloy. We happen to have a good stock of alloy base right now, but with lead's volatility now we can't afford to get caught short if it looks like things are drying up. That would be death. And gas isn't cheap these days, either. And the merchant account fees and 3% charges, the dedicated IP DSL line, the beautiful blue bullet boxes I had custom made, the glossy label stock we use, the color HP networked laser printer, on and on. This stuff adds up and when I look at our prices, $2.00 per pound is too cheap! I'm raising the prices 50%!!!

Too much coffee this morning.

Brad

Gosh Brad, you gotta lighten' up a little bit. :-D
I know it is expensive to make a living selling cast boolits (and reloads as well in the case of my small company). That is why you have wandered into a den of "scroungers" where raw product is concerned. We try to find lead for free when we can....for cheap when we don't. So far I haven't had to pay over $.40lb for soft lead, less than that for Wheel Weights, $5.00lb for tin and $.60 to $1.00lb for linotype. But it isn't an everyday occurance - you make the deals when you find 'em. But I and others here certainly support your venture and wish you nothing but the best. You seem to be a down-to-earth friendly kind of guy who is selling a good product. More power to you. As I'm retired now, I have more time than money, so casting my own makes the most sense to me. When I was younger and shooting more, I would have been a customer of a company such as yours and glad to have found it!

Best of luck and have a wonderful Christmas.

Bob

melw
12-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by MissouriBullet
It's been fun talking with you nice folks and thank you for letting me rave on here. I can't talk with my co-workers about this stuff because, being geeks, they don't have much of an interest in anything you can't sub-net, ping, or click on with a mouse.

I would not discount all those geeks. Both me and my shooting buddy are computer geeks.:mrgreen:
I had not been doing any shooting for more then 20 years. Now I am back for almost a year. I have got all my reloading gear out of storage. I also had some success casting my own .45. I had tried years ago with out any luck. This group was instrumental in that success.

I spend many hours employed in configuring computers that go into and control radio therapy machines for the treatment of Cancer.
Good luck in the new biz!
Mel W.:drinks:

iron mule
12-16-2007, 04:17 PM
welcome brad like you i have a small buisness that i hope will be a sucsess and also help my fellow shooters /// sent you an email off your site /// again welcome and good luck/////mule

pa_guns
12-16-2007, 04:29 PM
Hi

So how long until Missouri Bullets heads off into crazy stuff like .50 S&W?

Bob

crowbuster
12-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Hey Brad,

sounds like a great set up and a lot of work. Hope you stay busy as you want to be. Would love to see your operation sometime, feel free to post pics if you take a notion.

Gordon

4sfed
12-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Has anyone tried Missouri Cast Bullets? The prices seem good and you can get them in different BHNs.Just joined the forum and this thread caught my eye. I have to recommend them based on their good service . . . I ordered 1500 200 gr SWC and had them in 3 days. . . $9.85 for shipping. Haven't had a chance to make up any loads yet, but they arrived with the lube in good condition and measured a consistent .472 inch diameter. They won't need sizing like those from my previous source. - Jim

mike1952
12-24-2007, 04:07 PM
I started this thread. I did buy 1000 from MO bullets. I ordered on Tuesday night on the net the bullets arrived Saturday. WOW. Loaded up some cowboy loads for my 45 Blackhawk last night. Bullets looked good, nice lube, shot some today and am pleased. I will order again real soon. I highly recommend Missouri Bullets. I like to be able to order the hardness I want. Thanks Brad.

MG34
12-25-2007, 09:48 AM
I just ordered some 45 230 Gr from MO Bullets. I do have a 550B. Thanks Brad. Be shooting tomorrow if the wind calms down.

MissouriBullet
12-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi All -

We hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas, not stressing out or hitting the 'nog too hard this early :-)

Thank you to all who have posted nice things about our bullets and sent greetings our way. Time is tight and I can't reply to everyone and keep the bullets popping out.

Speaking of bullets popping out, I wanted to say that our new Magma Engineering equipment, which arrived a week ago Friday, is operational and in production now. We had too much of a backlog for comfort anyhow (almost a week's worth) when it arrived and had to experience the horror of watching the backlog grow while getting the equipment ready for production. Wiring, air compressor stuff, building new worksurfaces, et al. took some time and crimped us up pretty badly on getting orders out. And then there's the tale of the famous Magma Engineering Mark VII Bullet Separator... suffice it to say, the control unit is packed up and ready to ship back to Magma in the morning so they can figure out why it doesn't work. More wasted time..

But we're cranking them out now with both casters and both lubrisizer/collator assemblies working full-speed! The most popular bullets are on the shelf in some quantity now and we're working on the Cowboy #2 and #3 (and its .44 Magnum brother) now. Then we'll do a special project run for an IPSC shooter who wants the IDP #1 sized to .451 to work with his special barrel and another IPSC guy who wants the Cowboy #2 in hard alloy but sized to .357 for his .38 Super gun and then we'll start the 15,000 IDP #1 bullets for the IPSC division of the local gun club that I belong to, plus doing up the regular bullets for the orders that just keep coming in and oh wait! I forgot that we're out of 9mm SubSonics, so we'll have to make a batch of those, too!

My wife hates me. Maybe I'm working her too hard on the sizers? Just because it's 20 degrees outside and our facility is only zone-heated and she claims her feet are freezing while she stands there for hours staring down into the collator checking for nose-down alignment, what a wimp :-) What really scares me is that she might enter into a conspiracy with the post office lady who has to come and load up those 60-lb. shipping cartons every morning and I might find myself cut into manageable pieces and shipped, flat-rate, to a half-dozen random addresses!

Tomorrow it's back on the road for another alloy run, this one to Columbia, MO. We're gone through 2100 lbs. of base alloy in the past 19 days and are down to about a half-ton. The tin supply is still pretty good, though, and we have enough linotype on hand to prep another ton and a half of base alloy, so that piece is looking good.

I have owned a small business in the past, a computer company which was very successful for a little over 10 years. However, I had the company for 13 years! Then I had to find a real job (back in '93.) Things were great for those first ten years but I had to watch my niche erode as I failed to adapt to the market. Who knew that the IBM PC was more than a just a fad and that people would be able to use them for real work? Not me. Boy, was I wrong :-) But I did learn, throughout the experience, how important it is to maintain a happy customer base. I read some research once which said that one happy customer will tell three others, while an unhappy customer will tell eleven. That is important and I think that a lot of business people don't understand the significance of that. This was an old study, pre-dating the internet and I am sure that now the numbers are much higher on the dissatisfied customer side.

So what I'm saying is that I am committed to doing every reasonable thing to keep my customers happy. When I screw up (which I have done too often lately, under the press of getting bullets made and out the door) and ship somebody the wrong bullet, I will tell them to keep the ones they got and then send them the right ones, no return necessary. My fault, my hit. If the bullets miss our QC checks and go out and are deficient in some way (and that has happened) then I will replace them, no return necessary. We will, in short, do whatever it takes to make a customer happy because a few dissatisfied customers will ruin your business in a heartbeat.

Well, that's enough ruminating for this fine Christmas morning and it's time to get ready for the trip to Liberty, MO to meet up with the family for the traditional dinner.

..but I'll bet money that this evening you can find me in Brad's Basic Budget Bullet Barn amidst a machine cacophony of "CLINK-CLINK >ka-WHUMP< thumpathumpda CLINK-CLINK.." while a pile of bullets grows and grows and those pretty red white and blue boxes fill to overflowing with hardness-optimized bullets..

Oh, God, I love making bullets!

We wish everyone here a sincere and warm holiday greeting.

Brad and Jo Ann
Missouri Bullet Company

JSH
12-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Brad, good to hear from you, and updates again. The MVA winter show is coming up. Sure would like to meet up with you and visit some. The cowboy shooters usually show up to this one in pretty good numbers, so ya know. Sounds like you have more work than time.
I have the 1-6 of Jan off, for the antlerless Ks season. Sure would like to see your set up. I was in the shop of the old Lane bullet company quite a few years back. Found that by accident one afternoon when I was running parts. Never got the grand tour there as they were unloading a load of alloy.
Have visited with the folks that ended up with most of that set up after E&E went out, danged if I can recall there name as I type this. They have a fair selection along with a few rifle offerings in 30 caliber. I did get 100 of their 30 caliber, but didn't care much for the bevel base for what I had planned on using them for.
On another note, I may suggest you carry Lewis lead removers. There is not a single one to be had across the counter in the KC metro area.
All projectiles foul, some are more noticble than others is all. One guy I asked made some comment about CB's. I saw no sense in trying to educate him as he was old enough and already had his mind set. Along with the Lewis, a good quality copper remover may also be stocked? Just a thought. Ammo is ammo to most folks, no matter what the projectile is. A little education goes a long way as long as you have a good pupil that will listen.

Took me a long time huh Ken,lol. Still cuss Ken to this day, aka "the bastid",lol.
Jeff

eaglefacts
12-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Merry Christmas to you all. Have to work today but hope to maybe do some shooting before dark. Brad after the first of the year I will be contackting you to get some boolits... Again you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Jeff

MissouriBullet
12-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Jeff, what a great idea about the Lewis Lead Removers!! Man, I really should have thought of that on my own.

I just ordered seven of them and will have them on Friday. .38's, .40's, .44's, and .45's, plus extra screens, handles, conversion kits, the works. We will work to get them listed on the website soon. I really appreciate the idea and thank you for it!

Good luck on the anterless deer hunt.

We do have a .30 rifle RNFP bullet (.309) in 165-grain, but it is a bevel-base. They aren't listed, nor are the .45-70 405-grain 3-groove RNFP bullets. I have made some up in both, but just haven't had time to test them. I think the hardness is right for mid-range loads and in fact, have the 550B set up for .45-70 right now (actually I set it up 3 weekends ago) but have not had the time to load any for testing in the Sharps replica. I have a 60-lb. steel white buffalo (2' x 3') set up 126 yards down in the woods from the deck out back that will be a good target for them when I get the chance to check them out.

The Lewis Lead Removers are going to be $26.00 each and will ship free with any order of bullets. Packages of 10 screens are $3.50 apiece, extra rubber tips are $12.00, and so forth.

Anyhow, thanks again for the great idea and have a great Christmas, New Years, and hunt!

Brad

MissouriBullet
12-25-2007, 12:13 PM
I have the 1-6 of Jan off, for the antlerless Ks season. Sure would like to see your set up. I was in the shop of the old Lane bullet company quite a few years back. Found that by accident one afternoon when I was running parts. Never got the grand tour there as they were unloading a load of alloy.
Jeff

Your mentioning Lane Bullets brings back fond memories, Jeff. I have been an FFL for a long time and used to buy directly from Larry Clay of Lane, now deceased. Here is a strange thing - Lane Bullets is still listed in the telephone book but when you call the number you get a "disconnected" message. I understand that Larry died of cancer some time back.

He told me once that what really got his heart pumping was shooting steel plates with his .357 Grizzly autoloader.

I remember his setup. Awesome! And I happened to be in his shop one day when he was notified of a massive increase in finished 6/2 lead costs - it went to $.32/lb. and he hit the roof! Oh man, those were the days...

I also remember the day in '87 that I picked up a couple boxes of 175-grain 10mm SWC's and rode home on my '74 Norton Commando and one of the boxes came unsecured and fell off. I parked the bike crosswise in the street (Broadway) to block traffic while I located and furiously picked up as many bullets as I could find.

I miss Larry and his fine bullets. I like to think that he was the inspiration for our business model.

Brad

MissouriBullet
12-25-2007, 12:17 PM
Merry Christmas to you all. Have to work today but hope to maybe do some shooting before dark. Brad after the first of the year I will be contackting you to get some boolits... Again you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Jeff

Merry Christmas to you too, Jeff!

I am looking forward to your order.

Say, you wouldn't happen to be interested in a fine Lewis Lead Remover, would you? We have them in all the major calibers..

:-)

Brad

EDK
12-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Your web site is excellent, even for a computer illiterate like me.

While I cast 99% of my own, I like the idea of trying out a new design without buying a mould. I bought 2 group buys here--I really like the 200 grain double ended 44 wadcutter; the 44 SLIM will require some experimenting to get good fill out...and it hits low in my 44 VAQUEROS. If you had them, I'd have bought a box or two and saved some money and aggravation.

SUGGESTION; There is a very small niche market for a clone of Lyman 358627 (a 215 grain gas checked semi wadcutter) and full wadcutters in 44 and 45 caliber. I'd like to buy and try the 357 and 45, but not enough to buy moulds.

Good luck with the business. It sure sounds like you're doing everything right. Hopefully this is not the start of "the winter from hell!"

EDK aka Blue Roan on other forums

:Fire: :redneck:

1Shirt
12-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Got 500 of your 158gr., and have 50 loaded in 357 for my 94 as soon as I can get to the range. You cast a real nice blt, delivery time was excellent (even during the Christmas mail crunch), and you sound like a decent guy. I get to Lawrence to pick up clay every 3-4 mo, and would like to save cost of postage if pick up is possible. Have a Happy New Year!

ku4hx
12-06-2011, 11:41 AM
"Store bought" cast boolits are fine for what they are: a product marketed to the masses. Nothing wrong with that, but alloy is alloy and frankly there's just no mystery in creating good cast boolits. Work yes, but little mystery. Some of the most accurate and best cast boolits I've shot have been bought ... some of the worst too.

If you like a product and its price, and it does what you want it to do, then buying that product is a good decision for you. I just prefer to customize my boolits to my various guns. And Brinnel hardness is only one factor of several to be consdered in that customization process.

sparky45
12-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I purchased a box of 500 from MBC last week but I haven't loaded any yet. I am interested in a response from MBC if possible.