PDA

View Full Version : rio blue hi brass hulls and 00 buck ?

deepdarkwaters
02-10-2014, 10:33 PM
hello all I hunting for rio loading data I cant find any some people say load it like a cheddite hull some say load it like a fed plastic with paper basewad and my lyman5th don't have them and the bp website data I seen didn't have 00buck the shell is a blue rio hi brass 2 3/4i would be thankful for any info im trying to stay with blue dot powder wish I could find some fed hi power hulls but having no luck

UNIQUEDOT
02-11-2014, 09:21 AM
I would use the cheddite data as I've done in the past. If I'm not mistaken that rio hull is actually a cheddite hull anyway. Call BPI and ask them to be sure.

orangezuk
02-11-2014, 11:58 AM
I load them like the cheap Feds. Always abundant for my "shoot & toss" winter sporties with the auto gun.
Watch the tension on the primers, Rio primers are just a tad larger. You may see some issues with loose primers in high power loads with a non Rio primer .

sandman228
02-11-2014, 12:30 PM
ive heard there a straight wall case and to load like a federal. you will need to use a rio or knoble sport primers or something oversized , I use rio 209 primers all the time cause I can get them locally for 21$ per1000 and there slightly bigger than win ,rem fed, cci . im not sure if all the import 209 primers are slightly bigger or just a few. I know theres always tons of rio blue hulls in the once fired bin at the club where I shoot ive never messed with them though, I did 1 time reload some rio low brass 410 once fired hulls and when I shot them after reloading most of them the brass separated from the plastic. for 12 gauge I like to stick with rem nitro 27, winAA, I even reload the cheap federal top gun hulls but my favorites are Remington gun club hulls.

deepdarkwaters
02-11-2014, 02:50 PM
I reload the federal field and range for skeet and I use remington sts for my slugs thinking about just geting fed gold metal and save the trouble

tomme boy
02-11-2014, 08:22 PM
You need to measure the base wad for how high it is. I have run into two different thicknesses.

dverna
02-11-2014, 10:34 PM
Go to any trap range and you can pick up all the Estate and Top Gun hulls you want for free. Why mess with a bastard hull? Loads are known and primers are standard.

The Estates and TG's load like Federal Gold Medals. Only good for one reloads due to paper base wad.

Don Verna

Firebricker
02-11-2014, 11:38 PM
Use Rio primers then check BPI load of the week section and the have RIO OO buck load info. I will post a link if I can find it. FB

Hogtamer
02-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Ditto on the estate hulls except the brass hulls have a plastic base - the silver "brass" hulls have a paper base.

tomme boy
02-12-2014, 02:03 PM
The paper base wad hulls do not use the same data as the Gold Metal hulls. The base wad in the paper are slightly higher and they use a much cheaper plastic for the actual hull. They like to buckle. Then you have the Federal buckshot hulls that have a plastic base and they are almost exactly like the old Active hulls. Almost the whole primer is exposed if you look inside. The case capacity is higher on those to get the buckshot to fit in the hull.

Firebricker
02-12-2014, 09:48 PM
LOAD OF THE WEEK- 2010/11/17

More buckshot please!

Load# 101111-2560 LEAD BUCK OO

HULL: RIO 12-gauge 2.75”

PRIMER: RIO209

PROPELLANT: Hodgdon HS6 28.5 Grains

WAD: FS12+Teflon® coil – trim ¼” from wide edge, coil & place on top of FS12

SHOT: OO lead buck stacked layers of 3, 5 layers =15 pellets. (approx. 775 gr.)

BUFFER: none

FOLD CRIMP: 6-point

Result: PSI 10600 FPS 1100

I have to go check in my note book but IIRC 15 pellets did not fit but 12 did. That is going from memory so I would definitely call BPI and check they will know. And like the guys have said there are better hulls but I have a feeling you wound up with a ton of them and want to use them that is what happened to me. Another down side is you really need the RIO brand primers for two reasons one not switching components for safety and two for fit. You can tighten the primer pockets with a tool BPI sells and a member here Johnch explains how with everyday stuff. I only use them if I can find the Rio primers otherwise it is more work than scrounging better hulls. The only place I have seen Rio primers on the shelf is the suppliers at big trap shoots but you can always order or check around. One more thing I thought Cheddite primers would fit and I was wrong. FB

deepdarkwaters
02-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Thanks everyone for the info I went ahead and ordered the Rio with my fed gold metal order it was only 14$more to add them if need be I can load them for skeet