PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mold Question

powhs
02-10-2014, 07:13 PM
I have a Lyman 410459 (double) 41 cal mold. It is about 20 years old but was new in the box until this morning. I cleaned it and cast a couple hundred bullets. The problem I am having is the spruce plate smears lead where it cuts the bullet further from the hinge. The bullet near the hinge cuts fine. Can the mold be tuned to stop this?

bhn22
02-10-2014, 07:54 PM
If you're smearing lead, the sprue hasn't fully frozen yet. Let it sit for another ten seconds or more.

powhs
02-10-2014, 07:58 PM
OK Thanks
I was wondering if I was working too fast.

Echo
02-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Ten seconds might be too long - 2 or 3 more might be enough. When the sprue sets. give it another 5 seconds or so, then cut.

leadman
02-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Look at the cutting edge at the bottom of the sprue hole. I have had many Lyman molds where the angle is not cut down far enough and the cutting edge is blunt. I use a countersink from Home Depot to finish these off. The blunt edge tends to push the lead across the top of the mold rather than cut and lift it.
Also use some 2 strroke oil on the top of the mold and bottom of the sprue plate. I use a Q-tip and dampen it with oil from the underside of the bottle cap. Apply it when the mold is hot and boolits in the cavities. Only takes a thin film.
Timing when you cut the sprue is important also.