PDA

View Full Version : New stock for use with open sights.

timspawn
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM
My plans are to build an open sighted rifle on a small ring mauser action. My first choice is synthetic but it has a high comb for scope use (Bell and Carlson). Does anybody know of a manufacturer that makes a synthitic stock suitable for open sights?

UBER7MM
02-12-2014, 09:58 PM
Tim,
Most after market syn-stocks account for a scope. The original Mauser military stocks are meant for open sites. Match the drop of the comb of the after market stock with a original Mauser stock. If it's close, you're good to go.
Not much help, but that's what I'd do if I had that problem.

timspawn
02-12-2014, 11:32 PM
Looks like I may have to go with a wood stock... I have plenty of time to keep looking though.

UBER7MM
02-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Timspawn,
One thing about a wooden stock is that you can whittle and sand the comb lower to fit you. I had a wooden stock with a huge comb and a extra wide cheek piece. In that state, I had to really crane my neck around that stock to get my eye to line up with the iron sights. The gun was uncomfortable and hard to aim. I end up matching the comb to another rifle to get the drop right. Then, I sanded the check piece until it was a nicely contoured crescent instead of a lump that threw my eye about two inches out of the alignment.
The Boyd's laminates are nice. Lot's a different models and styles and colors. They're will be a bit of fitting (bolt handles & barrel channels). A bit heavy at 5 lbs., but I'd consider one:
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=7592&cat=1223
Just one option,

timspawn
02-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Timspawn,
One thing about a wooden stock is that you can whittle and sand the comb lower to fit you. I had a wooden stock with a huge comb and a extra wide cheek piece. In that state, I had to really crane my neck around that stock to get my eye to line up with the iron sights. It was uncomfortable and hard to shoot. I end up matching the comb to another rifle to get the drop right. Then, I sanded the check piece until it was a nice contoured crescent instead of a lump that threw my eye about two inches out of the alignment.
The Boyd's laminates are nice. Lot's a different models and styles and colors. They're will be a bit of fitting (bolt handles & barrel channels). And a bit heavy, at 5 lbs. for a small ring, but I'd consider one:
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=7592&cat=1223
Just one option,

Thank you. Boyds is on my list.

UBER7MM
02-17-2014, 01:05 AM
How about documenting your project's progress with photos?
I'd like to see the transformation.

Pinsnscrews
02-17-2014, 04:10 AM
Tim,

Look for a synthetic stock with the removable cheek rest. The type that is not inset into the Combe, but wraps over the top. When removed, it should be good for Iron a Sights. Another option is to use iron sights that attach to a picatinni/weaver rail. This will allow you to mount the iron sights higher, yet still keep the correct focal plain. A good example of this set up is the ATI 'Traditional' Mauser synthetic stock. It uses a picatinni "Scout" rail above the barrel.

timspawn
02-17-2014, 01:11 PM
How about documenting your project's progress with photos?
I'd like to see the transformation.

I'm not a gun or wood smith but I'll keep it in mind.

timspawn
02-17-2014, 01:19 PM
Tim,

Look for a synthetic stock with the removable cheek rest. The type that is not inset into the Combe, but wraps over the top. When removed, it should be good for Iron a Sights. Another option is to use iron sights that attach to a picatinni/weaver rail. This will allow you to mount the iron sights higher, yet still keep the correct focal plain. A good example of this set up is the ATI 'Traditional' Mauser synthetic stock. It uses a picatinni "Scout" rail above the barrel.

Thanks for the tip.

Spector
02-17-2014, 09:31 PM
If you like the look of wood and the stability of synthetic then I read an article in, I believe, Guns & Ammo Magazine and later at their online site.

The author used fiberglass and graphite rods to glass-bed into hollowed out forearms to prevent warpage and stabilize the wood. Looked to me like they may have left about a 1/8'' thick shell. If I were actually going to try it I would hog out the forearm, install the rods and Acra-Glas in one day as removing that much wood might allow the wood to move in unwanted ways if not reinforced quickly.

I have been buying cheaply priced graphite golf clubs to get the graphite shafts. I seem to recall in the article they also mentioned old fishing poles as a great source of material to work with. Most are tapered to some degree as most forearms narrow. I believe they roughed up the outside of the rods and sealed the ends before they bedded them.

If the right hollow rods were found and the shell thinned enough I suspect it would be very stable. They even used solid rods to reinforce pistol grips and I suspect the stock itself could be hollowed out and filled with hollow rods.

The warmth of oil finished solid wood with the stability of synthetic without that laminated look. Can't comment on the weight factor as I have only read about this process and seen a few pics.

Don't know if the article is still listed at their site. It is my intention to use this process on at least one, and maybe both, of my Swede sporters..........Mike

flounderman
02-18-2014, 12:37 AM
A classic iron sight stock isn't just a monte carlo stock with the monte carlo and cheekpiece removed. It has more drop to the top of the buttplate. The cheekpiece is more for looks than function. You can take a semi-inletted blank and finish it like a classic. If you buy a finished stock, it is going to look like it was butchered when you start removing parts that were never intended to be removed. Look at an early model 70 stock and you will see what an ironsight stock should be. The early 721 and 722 were not pretty but were designed for irons. De Haas's book, Bolt Action Rifles has some examples of what an iron sight stock looks like. Kennedys Checkering and Carving of Gunstocks has some classics.