PDA

View Full Version : Sks success!!!

crackerjack57
02-10-2014, 12:30 PM
FINALLY....... SKS SUCCESS!!!!!

I wanted to thank you all for all the input that you have given me over the last year on this problematic SKS. I finally got this thing to shoot acceptably.

The issue was found after hand lapping the barrel. when the factory drilled the gas port into the barrel, there was a bit of metal that was pushed into the barrel. this left a bit of an impingement in the barrel channel. as I was lapping the barrel, it was very apparent when getting to the gas port. it took a bit of polishing and recasting the lap and even a third time. after all of that....... smooth!! I re crowned the barrel and finally was able to get out to the range on Saturday. I just used the same loads that I am using for my Norinco 7.62 bolt gun and was able to get these results after getting the scope centered on the target. there is still a bit of tweaking needed but was able to get a 6-8" group down to a 1 3/4" on one load and 2 3/4" on another. after doing some fine tuning for this gun i think I could do a consistent under 2" keep in mind that I have a scope mounted on this rifle. a permanent mount bolted right on to the receiver.

below are the results from Saturdays range session.

I'm just thrilled with what my results were compared to what I was getting. I will continue to tweak for this rifle but I am 95% there. now its just a matter of .5 gn up or down with the loads that I am using for my Norinco bolt 7.62x39. I am getting about 1 1/4" groups with that gun. I am thrilled getting 2" with this SKS.

So thanx all for your help and all the great input over the last year. I hope my findings might help someone else out there that might have the same issues I "HAD!!"

Larry Gibson
02-10-2014, 12:42 PM
Outstanding!

Larry Gibson

DCM
02-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Please keep us posted, thanks.