PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather and the 22 Mag

northmn
02-10-2014, 12:29 PM
Just finding ammo for my 22 mag Henry lever. Went out and shot it yesterday with the CCI 30 grain +V ammo. One shot low, one dead on and one very high. One shot sounded louder than the rest. Probably about an 8-9" vertical spread. Rifle was carried on the tractor and the loads were left in the garage. A little below 0 when I shot it. May go out and try it when a little warmer but I suspect that the cold was affecting ammo performance. May be especially touchy with the lighter higher velocity bullets. Finally found some 40 grain loads to try.

DP

pietro
02-10-2014, 11:30 PM

FWIW, a "little below zero" would definitely effect my performance......... in getting up from bed ! ! ( Brrrrrrrrrrr )

tacklebury
02-10-2014, 11:37 PM
Hyper velocity loads are pretty notorious for having accuracy issues. The only hyper I have really gotten decent accuracy from was CCI Stingers. They are a full bore and have a pretty wide area to ride the rifling. Some of the shorter lightweights have minimal bearing surface. I tried some truncated cone hypers that wouldn't shoot in anything well. I haven't had much variance here in MI with cold affects on .22 ammo. We've been below zero often also.

northmn
02-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Took the rifle out yesterday and it did not vertically string but did a horizontal string. This was with less chilled ammo. Suspect I will have to look at the barrel ring and forestock as I have seen this befor in lever guns.

DEP