PDA

View Full Version : Homemade .475 Glazer Frangable Boolit

freedom475
12-14-2007, 03:48 PM
I made up some frangable rounds for the 475. I used fired 45acp cases filled with #6shot, heavy roll crimped to give some "shape" topped off with hot glue. Weighed in at about 245gr.

They shot very well in the 475linebaugh, nice tight groups at 50yrds and was able to hit the 18inch gong at 150yrds most of the time. The boolits hit about 12inches low from POA. Some of the brass or glue must have failed because sometimes fliers would occur (60ft,LRHL) at 150 yrds. but all in all very interesting.

I tried very light loads of Trail boss, some medium loads with Titegroup, and some real mean loads with Lilgun. The best loads were those with the Tite Group. None of the boolits shot into paper showed any sign of keyholeing of tumbling.

Shot a couple water filled plastic powder cans . The cans hit with WW 400gr slugs just split and had entry and exit holes about cal, size. The can hit with the frangable had a 20guage exit hole.

The boolits are easy to make, shouldn't recochet, and should work real well on varmints.

45nut
12-14-2007, 03:53 PM
If you have any pictures to add send them and I will get them posted Wes.

freedom475
12-14-2007, 04:02 PM
If you have any pictures to add send them and I will get them posted Wes.

We'll do Ken. Don't have any pics yet but I'll get some in a day or two.

Lloyd Smale
12-15-2007, 06:13 AM
id try using a cardboard wad crimped over the shot then adding a dalop of glue and id also even think of trying to cut the cases down the side in four places to allow them to open like the pedals of a barns bullet. A guy could even experiment and put one 44 cal ball in first then fill the remainder with 8 or 9 shot.

Biggfoot44
12-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Brings to mind how Joe Zanbone created MagSafe ammo. Take jacketed bulet. Melt out lead, leaving empty formed jacket. Different doonor bullets have different capacities, and penetration charistics. Fill with shot of prefered size. He started out origionally with usually 7 1/2's, later moved to primarily 2s and 4s, with a peroid of using 6s inbetween. Origionally used common glue gun to haold shot in place, later a proprietary epoxy.

leftiye
12-16-2007, 03:22 PM
You can swage the shot in a bullet swage with or without a jacket. They'll take the form of a solid lead boolit, but the individual shot will still separate and break down. Or you could simply mix the shot in an epoxy and then insert in the "jacket" before the epoxy sets up.

NSP64
12-19-2007, 09:11 PM
20 yrs ago I made some out of lead filings ang then would compress into a donor jacket. worked great but was a lot of work[smilie=1:

freedom475
01-09-2008, 09:51 PM
I got a chance to test the frangables on some varmits....Shot a rabbit the other day at about 30yrds and he just exploded!...don't think my 7mag could have done any more damage.

Got a porcipine with them today...( I save the quills and guard hair).. he was up in a tree, when I shot him he just flew out of the tree and hit the ground....never even moved his tail...there wasn't a mark on him....the boolit never exited!

I chronoed the 245gr frange rounds over 12gr. Titegroup at just over 1400fps out of my 475 with 6in. barrel....Makes me wonder how fast the Lilgun loads I loaded were going..[smilie=1::Fire:

Glen
01-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Jim Taylor wrote up something like this several years ago. He did the .45 ACP filled with shot, as well as the .45 ACP filled with lead, and the empty .45 ACP (all loaded into the .475 Linebaugh). At one of our PNW Sixgunner gatherings (I think it was 6 years ago) he brought out some of the loads that were loaded up with the empty .45 ACP brass. I forget how fast he had them going, but they were zipping right along. We shot a chunk of firewood with one and it shredded the little .45 case (penetration was pretty limited).

runfiverun
01-10-2008, 01:49 AM
you could also try 45 gas checks with little wax or glue on them or fingernail polish

9.3X62AL
01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
You guys may have just come up with a use for all those "blevied" 40 S&W cases fired in old-series Glocks of that caliber. Fire-fattened past .429"........lubed and run through .429" H&I sizer.......filled with #9 shot and capped. Install in 44 Magnum cases and work up loads. My mind can be a fertile field when I'm confined to bed and recliner with a NASTY cold.

leftiye
01-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Al, My mind don't do nuthin' when I'm sick (except suffer). It's the part that is sick I think maybe.

BD
01-10-2008, 09:22 PM
What a good idea Al. I always knew that someday I'd find a use for .40 sw cases.
BD

runfiverun
01-11-2008, 04:10 AM
do you think you would have anneal the 40 cases before expanding them?